Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

FAQ: Miles + Copay Upgrade / Upgrades (master thread)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jul 28, 2015, 12:06 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Prospero
Mileage and copayment upgrades on American Airlines

As of May 20, 2017 upgrade prioritization is:
  1. Elite status
    1. Concierge Key
      • Executive Platinum
        • Platinum Pro
          • Platinum
            • Gold
    • Upgrade type
      1. Miles and copay award upgrades and systemwide upgrades (SWU)
        • 500 mile upgrades on purchased tickets (including EXP complimentary UDU)
          • 500 mile upgrades on upgrade eligible awards (including EXP complimentary UDU)
      • Elite qualifying dollars* in the past 12 months
        • Booking class (in order, J, D, I, W, P, Y, H, K, M, L, V, G, S, N, Q, O, T)
          • Time of request

Enjoy a higher cabin of service Link.

Use your AAdvantage miles to upgrade on flights marketed and operated by American Airlines or American Eagle for yourself or anyone you designate.

Upgrades are valid to the next cabin of service* and are valid for a single one-way trip with a maximum of three segments. Upgrades are subject to capacity controls. Excluding award tickets, the following eligible fare types can be upgraded:
  • Discount Economy with published fares booked in H,K,M,L,W,V,G,Q,N,O,S and
    • Military or Government fares booked in Y
      • Full-Fare Economy with published fares booked in Y
        • Discount Premium Economy with published fares booked in P
          • Full-Fare Premium Economy with published fares booked in W
            • Discount Business with published fares booked in I
              • Full-Fare Business with published fares booked in J, D or R
                • Basic Economy fares booked in B are not upgradable

*E.g. Economy to Business, Business to three class First. At this time Premium Economy is treated as Economy for upgrade purposes.

See the chart here for cost in miles and dollars.

NOTE: The most expensive fare classes, full fare Economy Y, full fare Premium Economy W, and full fare Business J, may be upgraded without copay and at a lower cost in miles. See here.

Taxes and carrier-imposed fees:

Co-payment is non-refundable and inclusive of U.S. excise tax where applicable.

Mileage upgrade award tickets are subject to applicable taxes and security fees and may incur additional taxes as a result of upgrading to a higher class cabin (includes higher U.K. Air Passenger Duty If Flight originates in the UK or is a connecting flight with a connection time of 24:00 or more)..)
  • Upgrading from Economy Class to Business Class or First Class may result in additional premium cabin taxes and carrier-imposed fees, including but not limited to flights originating in Great Britain and France.
    • If the ticket is priced in USD, the additional taxes and carrier-imposed fees will be converted to USD at the time of ticketing.
      • Please contact American Airlines Reservations to obtain applicable taxes and carrier-imposed fees for specific itineraries.

NOTE:

Miles and copay upgrades are to the next available cabin of service, are based on inventory being available, usable on AA marketed and operated flights (not codeshares operated by other airlines, not on other airlines' prime flights - BA and IB allow miles upgrades with AA miles but are very different and therefore not treated here).

See AA Participating Airline Upgrade Award - BA, IB, including codeshares (master thd), and note one class of service means Y to PE, PE to J, J to F where available on BA.

If the required inventory exists, they can be booked positively (i.e. upgraded immediately); if not, the request is wait listed. Wait list clearance is by status (EXP highest, no status lowest), and within status priority is by rolling 12 month EQD spend. Elites can have one traveling companion on the same PNR "borrow" their status for upgrade wait list purposes, until the request goes to the airport list, where you may want to assure your travel companion continues to hold your borrowed status for upgrade purposes.

Copays are waived for CK on all flights.
Frequently Asked Questions / FAQ:

Q. It says the upgrade fees are nonrefundable. Do I lose my miles and money if I'm not upgraded?

If your upgrade request does not go through, miles and copay are in fact refunded.

Q. If I am waitlisted, in what priority order are upgrades processed?

Upgrades are processed first by AAdvantage status tier, secondarily by type of upgrade, thirdly by the previous rolling 12 month EQD spend.

Q. Which has higher priority if all other preceding factors are the same? An upgraded with miles + copay, or an upgraded with SWU?

They have equal priority. A few reports state copay + upgrade have been given priority at some overseas stations.

Q. How soon will I know if my upgrade came through?

It can happen anytime inventory opens, from the time you book until the time you board. (Your request, including date and time of request, should carry over automatically to the airport list.)

Q. How soon will I know if my upgrade came through?

It can happen anytime inventory opens, from the time you book until the time you board. (Your request, including date and time of request, should carry over automatically to the airport list.)

Q. What happens to my booked seat whilst I'm waitlisted? If my upgrade doesn't come through, do I lose my reserved seat?

You normally retain your booked seat until (if) your upgrade comes through.

Q. How many flights can I upgrade with a single miles plus copay upgrade?

You may (assuming available inventory) upgrade up to three segments on the same ticketed itinerary (e.g. LHR-ORD-MIA-EZE, as long as they are on the same PNR).

Q. Can I look at AAnytime or MileSAAver award space to determine upgrade availability?

No. MileSAAver availability may be a good indication upgrade space may become available, but SAAver and upgrade inventories are separate.

Q. What fare inventory do I need to upgrade?

You need available "C" inventory to upgrade to two class domestic First and three class Business, "A" to three class First. These are not shown on aa.com, but some services (e.g. ExpertFlyer) do show them. The only way to reliably search for upgrade space on Expertflyer or other services is segment by segment. The reason for this is that by rule if C is available on the stand alone segment then the upgrade is allowed.

Q. I'm Executive Platinum. If I purchase an upgrade for someone without status, will they "borrow" my status for upgrade purposes?

They will if they are flying as your single traveling companion on the same flights. Otherwise, their status will determine their position on the upgrade wait list. This "borrowed" status was previously lost once the flight has gone to airport control; it doesnt now, but it pays to check and see if it has been mismanaged by software - it can be restored when it has passed to airport control.

Q. Which miles earning and fare conditions will apply to my upgraded flights?

You will earn miles (award miles -- RDM -- and EQM) and EQ Dollars credit as determined by your originally purchased fare, and the applicable fare rules will also be determined by your originally purchased fare.

Older posts can be read in ARCHIVE: FAQ: Miles + Copay Upgrade / Upgrades (consolidated)

Print Wikipost

FAQ: Miles + Copay Upgrade / Upgrades (master thread)

Search this Thread

Old Jul 16, 2023, 3:00 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP | Marriott Bonvoy Titanium| Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by IzzyL
How weird is that. It feels like you should be able to rely on the fact that each line says C7 that it should be true.
It's bad UI design. EF should either run each segment's C space individually and return the result or display nothing stating that the user must search one at a time. Displaying junk with a disclaimer on top is lazy work.

Originally Posted by e_chappy
I'd like to know if AA operates in a similar fashion. From the descriptions I've found, this doesn't seem to be the case (P+ fare passengers get pooled with Main Cabin passengers), but I would like to find out for certain.
They do not. On AA, it is:
  • Status level (ConciergeKey members are first, followed by AAdvantage Executive Platinum, AAdvantage Platinum Pro, AAdvantage Platinum and then AAdvantage Gold members)
  • Upgrade type in this order: (1 - Systemwide and mileage award upgrades*, 2 - Complimentary upgrades)
  • 12-month rolling Loyalty Points
If the upgrade type and 12-month rolling Loyalty Point value are the same well look at the booking code then date/time of the request to determine prioritization.
Only if, on the same flight, 2 passengers have the same status, same type of upgrade request and same rolling LP, then PE would matter. However, the likelihood of this happening is basically zero.
IzzyL and e_chappy like this.
Old Jul 26, 2023, 10:31 am

Programs: Delta, AA
How soon can I request to upgrade with cash+miles?

I'm new to this topic, so bear with me:

I'm currently AA Platinum, will be Platinum Pro in November. I'm looking to purchase an economy (not basic economy) ticket from GRR-EZE and would like to upgrade to Business using cash+miles. How far out can this request be made? I won't be making this trip until November--should I hold off to buy the economy ticket and watch the Business class availability? Am I correct that this can only be booked by speaking with an AA agent on the phone?

Any advice from the pros on the best strategy to accomplish this much appreciated.
Old Jul 26, 2023, 10:39 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP 2MM, SK EBS
Originally Posted by snackyx

I'm currently AA Platinum, will be Platinum Pro in November. I'm looking to purchase an economy (not basic economy) ticket from GRR-EZE and would like to upgrade to Business using cash+miles. How far out can this request be made? I won't be making this trip until November--should I hold off to buy the economy ticket and watch the Business class availability? Am I correct that this can only be booked by speaking with an AA agent on the phone?

Any advice from the pros on the best strategy to accomplish this much appreciated.
You can request the upgrade as soon as you book the ticket. If there's no availability (likely) then you'll just be put on the waitlist. Yes you have to call AA to do this.

While sometimes it can happen sooner, AA typically doesn't open up much upgrade space until a few days before the flight.

The benefit to booking the ticket now is that if AA happened to release upgrade space in advance you would grab it. Does happen from time to time.

The benefit to waiting to book is that if you're deciding between several flight options, like connecting in DFW vs. MIA, you can wait to see what flight looks more empty in business (and thus have higher upgrade chances). This would really only apply if you could wait to book it until 2-4 weeks before or so.
robertablake likes this.
Old Jul 26, 2023, 10:51 am

Programs: AA PtPro (2 MM); Hilton Diamond; Hertz President Cr; DL SkyMiles; UA MileagePlus

Also, if your AAdvantage elite state change while you are on the waitlist for the upgrade, call AA to have your new AAdvantage status reflected on your reservation. Going from Platinum to Platinum Pro, you will move up on the waitlist.
Old Jul 26, 2023, 11:15 am

Programs: AAdvantage PPro
Bear in mind that putting in for a cash+miles upgrade will prevent you from getting cash upgrade offers in the app. I chose to wait on my last flight and wound up taking the offer in the app about two weeks before the flight.
Old Jul 26, 2023, 11:41 am

Programs: Delta, AA
Are the cash offers in the app generally comparable to the miles/cash upgrades? Are the app offers usually offered by segment rather than the entire trip (which would be three segments)? How soon before the departure date will the app/cash offers start appearing?
Old Jul 26, 2023, 11:56 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Are the cash offers in the app generally comparable to the miles/cash upgrades? Are the app offers usually offered by segment rather than the entire trip (which would be three segments)? How soon before the departure date will the app/cash offers start appearing?
App upgrade offers will appear as soon as you book the ticket. They are offered by segment and can vary from good deal to yea right. There is lots of discussion and datapoints below:

https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/amer...offer-app.html
Old Jul 26, 2023, 1:15 pm

Programs: AA PtPro (2 MM); Hilton Diamond; Hertz President Cr; DL SkyMiles; UA MileagePlus
Originally Posted by skviolet98
Bear in mind that putting in for a cash+miles upgrade will prevent you from getting cash upgrade offers in the app. I chose to wait on my last flight and wound up taking the offer in the app about two weeks before the flight.
Yes, that happened to me. I purchased a round trip ticket. Upgrade offer was showing on both outgoing and return segment on my reservation. I called AA to look for a mileage upgrade. Milage upgrade was only available on outgoing flight, and not on return flight. I took a mileage upgrade on outgoing flight. After I did that, there was no upgrade offer shown on the return segment of the reservation. I thought the upgrade offer on the return segment will reappear later, but never did.
Old Jul 27, 2023, 6:37 am

Programs: Marriott LTP, Wyndham Diamond, Hyatt Explorist, Hilton Diamond, AA EXP, CET Diamond, MGM Gold
I have a situation that I'm not sure how to proceed. Our family of four has a nonstop from SFO to PHL on a Sunday in late August (AA 2661). I got us on the miles + copay upgrade wait list as soon as I booked the ticket. In speaking with a friend (AA Gold) who took this same flight recently, she said that this is one you would definitely want to upgrade, as she was offered only water and peanuts during her flight.

In reading some of these posts, it seems as though some of the upgrade offers on the app are not too outrageous, and more than a few people have taken them up on the offers, with several calling them "no-brainers". Should I take us off the upgrade wait list just to possibly sneak a peek at what the upgrade offers are like? Or would this maneuver throw us to the back of the queue and ultimately diminish our chances? I know that it's a lot to ask to upgrade four people on the same flight but it has happened many times in the past.

Thanks in advance,

-notooshabby
Old Jul 27, 2023, 6:46 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by nottooshabby
I have a situation that I'm not sure how to proceed. Our family of four has a nonstop from SFO to PHL on a Sunday in late August (AA 2661). I got us on the miles + copay upgrade wait list as soon as I booked the ticket. In speaking with a friend (AA Gold) who took this same flight recently, she said that this is one you would definitely want to upgrade, as she was offered only water and peanuts during her flight.

In reading some of these posts, it seems as though some of the upgrade offers on the app are not too outrageous, and more than a few people have taken them up on the offers, with several calling them "no-brainers". Should I take us off the upgrade wait list just to possibly sneak a peek at what the upgrade offers are like? Or would this maneuver throw us to the back of the queue and ultimately diminish our chances? I know that it's a lot to ask to upgrade four people on the same flight but it has happened many times in the past.
There's really no harm in removing your group from the upgrade list to see what offers might be available.

The waitlist is sorted by status and rolling 12-mo LP's, so if you remove everyone and then decide to get back on the waitlist your position wouldn't be affected.

The only downside is if AA randomly decided to release upgrade space while you were off the list then you'd get skipped, but the chances of this happening is slim.

This is where a subscription to ExpertFlyer really pays off, you can remove your group from the waitlist but set up EF alerts for C space, if it opens up then call AA real quick to grab it.
robertablake likes this.
Old Jul 27, 2023, 6:52 am

Programs: Marriott LTP, Wyndham Diamond, Hyatt Explorist, Hilton Diamond, AA EXP, CET Diamond, MGM Gold
HI JJeffrey,

As always, thank you for the prompt, informative reply!
Old Jul 27, 2023, 5:03 pm

Programs: AA, WN
How would SWU/Miles+copay upgrade works with a party of 2 (same PNR) when only 1 space is released at a time?

Do we get skipped, or does one of us get the upgrade? In this case, do I also split and link the PNR like complimentary upgrades?
Old Aug 21, 2023, 10:19 pm

Programs: MB X4, HH Diamond, IHG DA, CA Silver
Hi frequent flyers, I'm a bit confused on how mileage upgrade works on my itinerary, which looks like this:

YYZ-AA-DFW-JL-HND-JL-HKG

I unserstand only AA-operated segments are available for mileage upgrades, but since all the segments are on the same PNR, AA wants more miles as if I'm upgrading the entire trip. I'm wondering if there's a work around so I could only pay for the upgrade on the AA segment? TIA for your expertise!
Old Aug 22, 2023, 3:42 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by AnetGarti
Hi frequent flyers, I'm a bit confused on how mileage upgrade works on my itinerary, which looks like this:

YYZ-AA-DFW-JL-HND-JL-HKG

I unserstand only AA-operated segments are available for mileage upgrades, but since all the segments are on the same PNR, AA wants more miles as if I'm upgrading the entire trip. I'm wondering if there's a work around so I could only pay for the upgrade on the AA segment? TIA for your expertise!
HUCA, you got a clueless agent. It should be no problem to upgrade just the YYZ-DFW segment for the typical short haul domestic price of 15k miles + $75.
Old Aug 22, 2023, 10:22 pm

Programs: MB X4, HH Diamond, IHG DA, CA Silver
Originally Posted by JJeffrey
HUCA, you got a clueless agent. It should be no problem to upgrade just the YYZ-DFW segment for the typical short haul domestic price of 15k miles + $75.
Thank you! Took me 4 tries before someone finally helped out, in the process the last C spot is taken by another lucky bxxxard....... Without a status Ive mentally given up at this point but I waitlisted anyways hoping for the best

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.