Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

FAQ: Miles + Copay Upgrade / Upgrades (master thread)

Old Jul 28, 2015, 12:06 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Prospero
Mileage and copayment upgrades on American Airlines

As of May 20, 2017 upgrade prioritization is:
  1. Elite status
    1. Concierge Key
      • Executive Platinum
        • Platinum Pro
          • Platinum
            • Gold
    • Upgrade type
      1. Miles and copay award upgrades and systemwide upgrades (SWU)
        • 500 mile upgrades on purchased tickets (including EXP complimentary UDU)
          • 500 mile upgrades on upgrade eligible awards (including EXP complimentary UDU)
      • Elite qualifying dollars* in the past 12 months
        • Booking class (in order, J, D, I, W, P, Y, H, K, M, L, V, G, S, N, Q, O, T)
          • Time of request

Enjoy a higher cabin of service Link.

Use your AAdvantage miles to upgrade on flights marketed and operated by American Airlines or American Eagle for yourself or anyone you designate.

Upgrades are valid to the next cabin of service* and are valid for a single one-way trip with a maximum of three segments. Upgrades are subject to capacity controls. Excluding award tickets, the following eligible fare types can be upgraded:
  • Discount Economy with published fares booked in H,K,M,L,W,V,G,Q,N,O,S and
    • Military or Government fares booked in Y
      • Full-Fare Economy with published fares booked in Y
        • Discount Premium Economy with published fares booked in P
          • Full-Fare Premium Economy with published fares booked in W
            • Discount Business with published fares booked in I
              • Full-Fare Business with published fares booked in J, D or R
                • Basic Economy fares booked in B are not upgradable

*E.g. Economy to Business, Business to three class First. At this time Premium Economy is treated as Economy for upgrade purposes.

See the chart here for cost in miles and dollars.

NOTE: The most expensive fare classes, full fare Economy Y, full fare Premium Economy W, and full fare Business J, may be upgraded without copay and at a lower cost in miles. See here.

Taxes and carrier-imposed fees:

Co-payment is non-refundable and inclusive of U.S. excise tax where applicable.

Mileage upgrade award tickets are subject to applicable taxes and security fees and may incur additional taxes as a result of upgrading to a higher class cabin (includes higher U.K. Air Passenger Duty If Flight originates in the UK or is a connecting flight with a connection time of 24:00 or more)..)
  • Upgrading from Economy Class to Business Class or First Class may result in additional premium cabin taxes and carrier-imposed fees, including but not limited to flights originating in Great Britain and France.
    • If the ticket is priced in USD, the additional taxes and carrier-imposed fees will be converted to USD at the time of ticketing.
      • Please contact American Airlines Reservations to obtain applicable taxes and carrier-imposed fees for specific itineraries.

NOTE:

Miles and copay upgrades are to the next available cabin of service, are based on inventory being available, usable on AA marketed and operated flights (not codeshares operated by other airlines, not on other airlines' prime flights - BA and IB allow miles upgrades with AA miles but are very different and therefore not treated here).

See AA Participating Airline Upgrade Award - BA, IB, including codeshares (master thd), and note “one class of service” means Y to PE, PE to J, J to F where available on BA.

If the required inventory exists, they can be booked positively (i.e. upgraded immediately); if not, the request is wait listed. Wait list clearance is by status (EXP highest, no status lowest), and within status priority is by rolling 12 month EQD spend. Elites can have one traveling companion on the same PNR "borrow" their status for upgrade wait list purposes, until the request goes to the airport list, where you may want to assure your travel companion continues to hold your “borrowed” status for upgrade purposes.

Copays are waived for CK on all flights.
Frequently Asked Questions / FAQ:

Q. It says the upgrade fees are nonrefundable. Do I lose my miles and money if I'm not upgraded?

If your upgrade request does not go through, miles and copay are in fact refunded.

Q. If I am waitlisted, in what priority order are upgrades processed?

Upgrades are processed first by AAdvantage status tier, secondarily by type of upgrade, thirdly by the previous rolling 12 month EQD spend.

Q. Which has higher priority if all other preceding factors are the same? An upgraded with miles + copay, or an upgraded with SWU?

They have equal priority. A few reports state copay + upgrade have been given priority at some overseas stations.

Q. How soon will I know if my upgrade came through?

It can happen anytime inventory opens, from the time you book until the time you board. (Your request, including date and time of request, should carry over automatically to the airport list.)

Q. How soon will I know if my upgrade came through?

It can happen anytime inventory opens, from the time you book until the time you board. (Your request, including date and time of request, should carry over automatically to the airport list.)

Q. What happens to my booked seat whilst I'm waitlisted? If my upgrade doesn't come through, do I lose my reserved seat?

You normally retain your booked seat until (if) your upgrade comes through.

Q. How many flights can I upgrade with a single miles plus copay upgrade?

You may (assuming available inventory) upgrade up to three segments on the same ticketed itinerary (e.g. LHR-ORD-MIA-EZE, as long as they are on the same PNR).

Q. Can I look at AAnytime or MileSAAver award space to determine upgrade availability?

No. MileSAAver availability may be a good indication upgrade space may become available, but SAAver and upgrade inventories are separate.

Q. What fare inventory do I need to upgrade?

You need available "C" inventory to upgrade to two class domestic First and three class Business, "A" to three class First. These are not shown on aa.com, but some services (e.g. ExpertFlyer) do show them. The only way to reliably search for upgrade space on Expertflyer or other services is segment by segment. The reason for this is that by rule if C is available on the stand alone segment then the upgrade is allowed.

Q. I'm Executive Platinum. If I purchase an upgrade for someone without status, will they "borrow" my status for upgrade purposes?

They will if they are flying as your single traveling companion on the same flights. Otherwise, their status will determine their position on the upgrade wait list. This "borrowed" status was previously lost once the flight has gone to airport control; it doesn’t now, but it pays to check and see if it has been mismanaged by software - it can be restored when it has passed to airport control.

Q. Which miles earning and fare conditions will apply to my upgraded flights?

You will earn miles (award miles -- RDM -- and EQM) and EQ Dollars credit as determined by your originally purchased fare, and the applicable fare rules will also be determined by your originally purchased fare.

Older posts can be read in ARCHIVE: FAQ: Miles + Copay Upgrade / Upgrades (consolidated)

Print Wikipost

FAQ: Miles + Copay Upgrade / Upgrades (master thread)

Old Mar 31, 2017, 1:47 pm

Programs: AAdvantage EXP | United Silver | HH Diamond | Bonvoy Platinum | Hyatt Explorist
Originally Posted by Dave Noble
AA has a change fee waiver for changing to a higher class of cabin. You should be able to pay the difference between the economy fare purchased and the business class fare without having to pay any additional fees
Called AA, they said there is no inventory on the following flight, AA2193. Yet I can see the first class cabin has all 16 seats available. I get that seat availability and inventory are not the same but the cabin is completely open, not one of 16 seats are taken... They said there is no way to even pay for first class, and to call back in a few days as inventory changes.
Old Apr 1, 2017, 7:01 am

Programs: AA Platnium, EK Gold, SPG Gold, Marriot Gold, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by econometrics
Very unlikely to clear, but there's always a chance. ^
I was upgraded pts+cash on the LAX-SYD overnight leg. Very happy.
Old Apr 1, 2017, 8:14 am

Originally Posted by AAdamE
Called AA, they said there is no inventory on the following flight, AA2193. Yet I can see the first class cabin has all 16 seats available. I get that seat availability and inventory are not the same but the cabin is completely open, not one of 16 seats are taken... They said there is no way to even pay for first class, and to call back in a few days as inventory changes.
Just look on the website and see what the price of buying a first class ticket on the flight you're already booked on. If nothing is showing up for sale on the website, the agent probably isn't going to be able to do anything either. If there is availability, as Dave Noble says you should just be able to pay the fare difference with no change fee. That's likely a better deal than miles+copay.

If all else fails, you can waitlist your upgrade request. I don't fly this route enough to say what your odds would be of clearing the waitlist.

Looking back, you probably should have just cancelled your ticket right away when the upgrade inventory you expected wasn't there. That way you'd be able to explore other options without having to worry about being locked into a nonrefundable ticket on a specific flight. That obviously doesn't help you at this point, but is hopefully useful for next time.
Old Apr 1, 2017, 10:28 am

Programs: AA EXP, LT Gold
Originally Posted by Underachiever
I was upgraded pts+cash on the LAX-SYD overnight leg. Very happy.
Fantastic! Enjoy the long ride in J!
Old Apr 3, 2017, 11:31 am

Programs: AA EXP
Only 1 business class seat for sale on a PHL-CDG flight in 2 weeks.

What are the odds this goes to a C fare? I imagine they hold it for sale till the last minute in this case, but i am curious, is it possible it just goes gate paid upgrades and never gets released to C?

I am originating in Hartford. There's a similar flight out of CLT with 3 open J seats. I'm wondering how much more favorable the odds are there, even though the routing is is at least 3-4 hours longer....
Old Apr 3, 2017, 1:04 pm

Programs: AA EXP, Admirals Club, IHG Gold, Hilton Diamond, National Emerald Executive
Originally Posted by dubstyle311
Only 1 business class seat for sale on a PHL-CDG flight in 2 weeks.

What are the odds this goes to a C fare? I imagine they hold it for sale till the last minute in this case, but i am curious, is it possible it just goes gate paid upgrades and never gets released to C?

I am originating in Hartford. There's a similar flight out of CLT with 3 open J seats. I'm wondering how much more favorable the odds are there, even though the routing is is at least 3-4 hours longer....
My Guess is 0%. If it goes to C it will be just before boarding.
Old Apr 3, 2017, 1:15 pm

Originally Posted by Railtester
My Guess is 0%. If it goes to C it will be just before boarding.
Yup, seems like a real long shot.
Old Apr 3, 2017, 1:29 pm

One more question for the folks.

I have a refundable ticket out of Philly with 1 open J seat. CLT has 3 open now.

Would the correct move to be stick tot he waitlist on the philly flight while setting an alert of expertflyer for C availability out of CLT?

Then if the C inventory shows up, call up AA and have them book and upgrade me at once?

What a crazy game.
Old Apr 3, 2017, 2:03 pm

Programs: Executive Platinum
I am fairly new to "miles plus co pay" upgrades. I am waitlisted on most of our flights.

When do the miles normally get deducted and the co payment charged?

I asked because for two of my segments I appear to be upgraded, but I received no notice nor have the miles been deducted or co pay charged. I found out because I received an Expert Flyer Alert that my original seats are now available.

When I went to check it showed me as First Class and I was able to select First Class seats. One flight segment is on April 24 and the other is in October.

I tried to search for the answer without success.

Thank you in advance for the help.
Old Apr 7, 2017, 12:56 am

Just curious - if I'm successful getting a "C"' (miles+copay) upgrade and then the flight goes IRROPS, am I still protected in J? Or am I out of luck/start over again?

PS: Yes, of course, I'm looking at the HKG flights....

Thanks FT!
Old Apr 7, 2017, 2:11 am

Programs: AA EXP (owe), BA Silver (ows), AB Silver (owr), WN A+/CP, IHG Spire AMB, Avis First
Originally Posted by spongenotbob
Just curious - if I'm successful getting a "C"' (miles+copay) upgrade and then the flight goes IRROPS, am I still protected in J? Or am I out of luck/start over again?

PS: Yes, of course, I'm looking at the HKG flights....

Thanks FT!
Yes, if it clears, you will get reaccom in J (in general). But only if it clears. Not sure when they are clearing upgrades now, seems like they've been doing it last minute lately if you don't clear ahead of time.

i.e., you'll be treated as any other confirmed J passenger.
Old Apr 7, 2017, 9:52 pm

Originally Posted by no2chem
Yes, if it clears, you will get reaccom in J (in general). But only if it clears. Not sure when they are clearing upgrades now, seems like they've been doing it last minute lately if you don't clear ahead of time.

i.e., you'll be treated as any other confirmed J passenger.
Gracias. This board (free) and EF ($10) are the best investments you could ever make in travel.
Old Apr 9, 2017, 6:11 am

Programs: AA EXP, HHonors Diamond
OK, I'm a little bit ticked after reading the FAQs.

Last week I flew to Hong Kong and at t-72 my miles and dollars upgrade cleared from LAX to HKG. There was zero J availability so I was wasn't surprised that the DFW/LAX segment on the trip didn't. What did tick me off is that I was basically at the bottom of the airport upgrade list as an EXP. I sent a message to AA and they said somehow my status disappeared from my upgrade request. They said to go to an airport agent and they would fix my place on the list. Well, at the Admirals Club he couldn't fix it.... I didn't lose any sleep though because it did check in full and left full with zero gate cleared upgrades.

Ok, fast forward to today. Again, my HKG to LAX cleared (miles and dollars) at t-72 but with zero LAX to DFW available it didn't clear and on my AA locator it just showed as requested. Now, expert flyer is showing C2, which is what upgrades clear into. When I sent a message to AA (I am in the air now so I cannot call!!) They said I am on the airport list. But... I am well inside the EXP window PLUS don't the miles and dollars clear into C anyway? Of course I can't see if they lost my status on the list like last week... but..... if they did I'm going to be ticked.
Old Apr 12, 2017, 3:22 pm

Programs: AA EXP/1mm, Marriott Titanium/LT Gold, UA Silver
Quick question - EXPs still pay the co-pay for milage and co-pay domestic upgrades right? 15k miles and $75? My understanding is we do however I just requested one for the first time and the agent seemed to think the $ component was waived for EXPs. If true that's (good) news to me
Old Apr 12, 2017, 3:25 pm

Programs: AA EXP, LT Gold
Originally Posted by uscjeff
Quick question - EXPs still pay the co-pay for milage and co-pay domestic upgrades right? 15k miles and $75? My understanding is we do however I just requested one for the first time and the agent seemed to think the $ component was waived for EXPs. If true that's (good) news to me
No, EXP have to pay the copay. There are no exceptions made - at least STATED exceptions. If some AAgent wants to waive the copay, happy birthday to you!

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.