Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

FAQ: Miles + Copay Upgrade / Upgrades (master thread)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jul 28, 2015, 12:06 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Prospero
Mileage and copayment upgrades on American Airlines

As of May 20, 2017 upgrade prioritization is:
  1. Elite status
    1. Concierge Key
      • Executive Platinum
        • Platinum Pro
          • Platinum
            • Gold
    • Upgrade type
      1. Miles and copay award upgrades and systemwide upgrades (SWU)
        • 500 mile upgrades on purchased tickets (including EXP complimentary UDU)
          • 500 mile upgrades on upgrade eligible awards (including EXP complimentary UDU)
      • Elite qualifying dollars* in the past 12 months
        • Booking class (in order, J, D, I, W, P, Y, H, K, M, L, V, G, S, N, Q, O, T)
          • Time of request

Enjoy a higher cabin of service Link.

Use your AAdvantage miles to upgrade on flights marketed and operated by American Airlines or American Eagle for yourself or anyone you designate.

Upgrades are valid to the next cabin of service* and are valid for a single one-way trip with a maximum of three segments. Upgrades are subject to capacity controls. Excluding award tickets, the following eligible fare types can be upgraded:
  • Discount Economy with published fares booked in H,K,M,L,W,V,G,Q,N,O,S and
    • Military or Government fares booked in Y
      • Full-Fare Economy with published fares booked in Y
        • Discount Premium Economy with published fares booked in P
          • Full-Fare Premium Economy with published fares booked in W
            • Discount Business with published fares booked in I
              • Full-Fare Business with published fares booked in J, D or R
                • Basic Economy fares booked in B are not upgradable

*E.g. Economy to Business, Business to three class First. At this time Premium Economy is treated as Economy for upgrade purposes.

See the chart here for cost in miles and dollars.

NOTE: The most expensive fare classes, full fare Economy Y, full fare Premium Economy W, and full fare Business J, may be upgraded without copay and at a lower cost in miles. See here.

Taxes and carrier-imposed fees:

Co-payment is non-refundable and inclusive of U.S. excise tax where applicable.

Mileage upgrade award tickets are subject to applicable taxes and security fees and may incur additional taxes as a result of upgrading to a higher class cabin (includes higher U.K. Air Passenger Duty If Flight originates in the UK or is a connecting flight with a connection time of 24:00 or more)..)
  • Upgrading from Economy Class to Business Class or First Class may result in additional premium cabin taxes and carrier-imposed fees, including but not limited to flights originating in Great Britain and France.
    • If the ticket is priced in USD, the additional taxes and carrier-imposed fees will be converted to USD at the time of ticketing.
      • Please contact American Airlines Reservations to obtain applicable taxes and carrier-imposed fees for specific itineraries.

NOTE:

Miles and copay upgrades are to the next available cabin of service, are based on inventory being available, usable on AA marketed and operated flights (not codeshares operated by other airlines, not on other airlines' prime flights - BA and IB allow miles upgrades with AA miles but are very different and therefore not treated here).

See AA Participating Airline Upgrade Award - BA, IB, including codeshares (master thd), and note “one class of service” means Y to PE, PE to J, J to F where available on BA.

If the required inventory exists, they can be booked positively (i.e. upgraded immediately); if not, the request is wait listed. Wait list clearance is by status (EXP highest, no status lowest), and within status priority is by rolling 12 month EQD spend. Elites can have one traveling companion on the same PNR "borrow" their status for upgrade wait list purposes, until the request goes to the airport list, where you may want to assure your travel companion continues to hold your “borrowed” status for upgrade purposes.

Copays are waived for CK on all flights.
Frequently Asked Questions / FAQ:

Q. It says the upgrade fees are nonrefundable. Do I lose my miles and money if I'm not upgraded?

If your upgrade request does not go through, miles and copay are in fact refunded.

Q. If I am waitlisted, in what priority order are upgrades processed?

Upgrades are processed first by AAdvantage status tier, secondarily by type of upgrade, thirdly by the previous rolling 12 month EQD spend.

Q. Which has higher priority if all other preceding factors are the same? An upgraded with miles + copay, or an upgraded with SWU?

They have equal priority. A few reports state copay + upgrade have been given priority at some overseas stations.

Q. How soon will I know if my upgrade came through?

It can happen anytime inventory opens, from the time you book until the time you board. (Your request, including date and time of request, should carry over automatically to the airport list.)

Q. How soon will I know if my upgrade came through?

It can happen anytime inventory opens, from the time you book until the time you board. (Your request, including date and time of request, should carry over automatically to the airport list.)

Q. What happens to my booked seat whilst I'm waitlisted? If my upgrade doesn't come through, do I lose my reserved seat?

You normally retain your booked seat until (if) your upgrade comes through.

Q. How many flights can I upgrade with a single miles plus copay upgrade?

You may (assuming available inventory) upgrade up to three segments on the same ticketed itinerary (e.g. LHR-ORD-MIA-EZE, as long as they are on the same PNR).

Q. Can I look at AAnytime or MileSAAver award space to determine upgrade availability?

No. MileSAAver availability may be a good indication upgrade space may become available, but SAAver and upgrade inventories are separate.

Q. What fare inventory do I need to upgrade?

You need available "C" inventory to upgrade to two class domestic First and three class Business, "A" to three class First. These are not shown on aa.com, but some services (e.g. ExpertFlyer) do show them. The only way to reliably search for upgrade space on Expertflyer or other services is segment by segment. The reason for this is that by rule if C is available on the stand alone segment then the upgrade is allowed.

Q. I'm Executive Platinum. If I purchase an upgrade for someone without status, will they "borrow" my status for upgrade purposes?

They will if they are flying as your single traveling companion on the same flights. Otherwise, their status will determine their position on the upgrade wait list. This "borrowed" status was previously lost once the flight has gone to airport control; it doesn’t now, but it pays to check and see if it has been mismanaged by software - it can be restored when it has passed to airport control.

Q. Which miles earning and fare conditions will apply to my upgraded flights?

You will earn miles (award miles -- RDM -- and EQM) and EQ Dollars credit as determined by your originally purchased fare, and the applicable fare rules will also be determined by your originally purchased fare.

Older posts can be read in ARCHIVE: FAQ: Miles + Copay Upgrade / Upgrades (consolidated)

Print Wikipost

FAQ: Miles + Copay Upgrade / Upgrades (master thread)

Search this Thread

Old Aug 21, 2019, 4:49 pm

Originally Posted by shanft
Thanks, I re-read the posts and realise my mistake now.
If you can use the same amount of miles + copay to upgrade from Main Cabin as from PE (P), is there a reason to not book Economy if you are hoping for an upgrade (being that you are happy to sit in Economy as opposed to PE)?
you have better chance of upgrading from PE. Those upgrades processed first based on status. After that Y upgrades are processed
Old Aug 21, 2019, 4:53 pm

Programs: AA Platinum
Originally Posted by gateH15

you have better chance of upgrading from PE. Those upgrades processed first based on status. After that Y upgrades are processed
Thanks very much!
Old Aug 21, 2019, 5:02 pm

Programs: AY+ Plat, Marriott Plat, Hyatt Discoverist

I don't believe that's really correct. Upgrades are processed by status and then rolling EQD and then booking class. So the only time booking class would matter is if there is someone with the same status and same rolling EQD.
iadisgreat and Zacnlinc like this.
Old Aug 21, 2019, 5:07 pm

Programs: MAR AMB, WOH Explorist, AA EXP, UA 2P
Originally Posted by flyingeph12
I don't believe that's really correct. Upgrades are processed by status and then rolling EQD and then booking class. So the only time booking class would matter is if there is someone with the same status and same rolling EQD.
Seconded (as of 21-Aug-19)!
Old Aug 21, 2019, 9:30 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by flyingeph12
Even if PE class is oversold and they have to roll over some people to Business Class? I heard in the "Chances" thread that in such a situation priority could given to someone who already had an award pending and was in the oversold PE class, because it's much simpler to roll one person out of the oversold class, than to upgrade someone jumping over that oversold class, when you have to move people out of that oversold class anyway. And AA can make more money by rolling someone who was queued up to use miles+copay or an SWU than to roll a random person and leave those people where they are.

Of course I have no idea how often PE is oversold, but in that thread there were hints (AA willing to sell more seats in PE than there were empty seats in PE per the seat map, while there were tons of empty seats in Business) that at least that particular flight was oversold in PE.

Last edited by sdsearch; Aug 21, 2019 at 9:36 pm
Old Aug 21, 2019, 11:40 pm

Programs: AY+ Plat, Marriott Plat, Hyatt Discoverist
Originally Posted by sdsearch
Even if PE class is oversold and they have to roll over some people to Business Class? I heard in the "Chances" thread that in such a situation priority could given to someone who already had an award pending and was in the oversold PE class, because it's much simpler to roll one person out of the oversold class, than to upgrade someone jumping over that oversold class, when you have to move people out of that oversold class anyway. And AA can make more money by rolling someone who was queued up to use miles+copay or an SWU than to roll a random person and leave those people where they are.

Of course I have no idea how often PE is oversold, but in that thread there were hints (AA willing to sell more seats in PE than there were empty seats in PE per the seat map, while there were tons of empty seats in Business) that at least that particular flight was oversold in PE.
Sure, if the PE cabin is oversold, someone with an upgrade request (SWU or miles + cash) might have a better shot at clearing an upgrade, although I’m not sure that’s a policy rather than mere anecdote. In any event, the question there is not whether there’s a better chance at clearing an upgrade if buying PE rather than Y but whether PE is (more) likely to be oversold. Additionally, Y could just as likely (or maybe even more likely) be oversold, and under the same logic, someone with a waitlisted upgrade in a Y oversell situation should have priority over someone who doesn’t.

Last edited by flyingeph12; Aug 21, 2019 at 11:46 pm
Old Aug 24, 2019, 6:49 pm

Programs: Plat Pro AAdvantage, but defected to BAEC
Originally Posted by shanft
Thanks, I re-read the posts and realise my mistake now.
If you can use the same amount of miles + copay to upgrade from Main Cabin as from PE (P), is there a reason to not book Economy if you are hoping for an upgrade (being that you are happy to sit in Economy as opposed to PE)?
booking PE in either P or W will get you 1.5x EQD. The other plus to booking PE, is that if the miles + copay/SWU request doesn’t clear, you don’t end up traveling in Y 😀
sdsearch, FlightNurse and reeg2 like this.
Old Sep 1, 2019, 4:06 pm
S.R

Programs: EK Platinum, AA EXP, Marriott Platinum, Hilton Diamond
JFK-LAX J-F upgraded requirements

If I buy a business class ticket JFK-LAX, and expertflyer is showing A7 for the flight, does that mean I will clear into F immediately after booking with just using 15k miles+ $175?
Old Sep 2, 2019, 6:34 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP 2MM, SK EBS
Originally Posted by S.R
If I buy a business class ticket JFK-LAX, and expertflyer is showing A7 for the flight, does that mean I will clear into F immediately after booking with just using 15k miles+ $175?
Yep.
S.R likes this.
Old Oct 7, 2019, 7:16 pm

Just booked an award in Y TXL-ORD coming up in a few weeks for 22.5K miles on AA metal over the pond. Would I be able to use miles and copay to upgrade to biz if C space opens up? Or my only option is to pay cash if offer is available for that flight ? I’ve never done award booking in Y, usually book J with miles right away. But I needed to travel on specific date and only Y was available and it was hard to resist it for only 22k miles
Old Oct 7, 2019, 8:59 pm

Programs: AA EXP
Just booked an award in Y TXL-ORD coming up in a few weeks for 22.5K miles on AA metal over the pond. Would I be able to use miles and copay to upgrade to biz if C space opens up? Or my only option is to pay cash if offer is available for that flight ? I’ve never done award booking in Y, usually book J with miles right away. But I needed to travel on specific date and only Y was available and it was hard to resist it for only 22k miles
Miles/Co-Pay, SWU or other instrument upgrades can't be used on award tickets. Your only options, if you want to fly in J, are (1) Fork over additional miles for AAnytime Business; (2) Wait to see if U space opens up for a 57.5K mile business class award, or (3) Hope and pray, most likely in vain, that a LFBU will be offered at check-in.
Old Oct 7, 2019, 9:02 pm

Originally Posted by DMPHL
Miles/Co-Pay, SWU or other instrument upgrades can't be used on award tickets. Your only options, if you want to fly in J, are (1) Fork over additional miles for AAnytime Business; (2) Wait to see if U space opens up for a 57.5K mile business class award, or (3) Hope and pray, most likely in vain, that a LFBU will be offered at check-in.
Thanks for your reply! That’s what I though about U space but wasn’t sure how does that work with connections. Oh well I’m sure I can survive 9 hour day flight in MCE. Or maybe there will be offers to upgrade to PE at the airport
Old Oct 17, 2019, 8:08 pm

Programs: American Airlines
Apologize if this has been answered but I did not see it in the thread in a lot of scrolling or the wiki.

I have a confirmed upgrade on 10/25 via miles and a copay. Due to some family circumstances, we may have to reschedule our trip.

If we can move our flights (likely with a change fee), would our upgrade be be lost and non-refundable? Partially refundable? Transferable if our new flight has the C space?

Thanks in advance for any info!
Old Oct 17, 2019, 8:12 pm

Originally Posted by Tbooth3
Apologize if this has been answered but I did not see it in the thread in a lot of scrolling or the wiki.

I have a confirmed upgrade on 10/25 via miles and a copay. Due to some family circumstances, we may have to reschedule our trip.

If we can move our flights (likely with a change fee), would our upgrade be be lost and non-refundable? Partially refundable? Transferable if our new flight has the C space?

Thanks in advance for any info!
I had a confirmed upgrade 2 months ago and I had to cancel my trip due to some
circumstances. Twitter team provided me ticket number and told me to call back when I’m ready to reschedule.
I called a week earlier and booked a new flight with the credit left minus $275 dollars. One of the flights I rebooked into had C space available and I was confirmed in J. If C space not available they will waitlist you, if you don’t clear at the gate I think you will still have 1 year since credit was issued to apply that upgrade for a future flight
Old Oct 18, 2019, 10:47 am

Programs: AA Dirt, HHonors Silver
Hi - booking a flight in PE PHX-DXB in December. The LHR-DXB segment is operated by BA. Will a miles+copay upgrade work for both segments, or just the AA operated ones?

Also, any anecdotal evidence of how likely it is to clear as a lowly Gold?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.