Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

FAQ: Miles + Copay Upgrade / Upgrades (master thread)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jul 28, 2015, 12:06 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Prospero
Mileage and copayment upgrades on American Airlines

As of May 20, 2017 upgrade prioritization is:
  1. Elite status
    1. Concierge Key
      • Executive Platinum
        • Platinum Pro
          • Platinum
            • Gold
    • Upgrade type
      1. Miles and copay award upgrades and systemwide upgrades (SWU)
        • 500 mile upgrades on purchased tickets (including EXP complimentary UDU)
          • 500 mile upgrades on upgrade eligible awards (including EXP complimentary UDU)
      • Elite qualifying dollars* in the past 12 months
        • Booking class (in order, J, D, I, W, P, Y, H, K, M, L, V, G, S, N, Q, O, T)
          • Time of request

Enjoy a higher cabin of service Link.

Use your AAdvantage miles to upgrade on flights marketed and operated by American Airlines or American Eagle for yourself or anyone you designate.

Upgrades are valid to the next cabin of service* and are valid for a single one-way trip with a maximum of three segments. Upgrades are subject to capacity controls. Excluding award tickets, the following eligible fare types can be upgraded:
  • Discount Economy with published fares booked in H,K,M,L,W,V,G,Q,N,O,S and
    • Military or Government fares booked in Y
      • Full-Fare Economy with published fares booked in Y
        • Discount Premium Economy with published fares booked in P
          • Full-Fare Premium Economy with published fares booked in W
            • Discount Business with published fares booked in I
              • Full-Fare Business with published fares booked in J, D or R
                • Basic Economy fares booked in B are not upgradable

*E.g. Economy to Business, Business to three class First. At this time Premium Economy is treated as Economy for upgrade purposes.

See the chart here for cost in miles and dollars.

NOTE: The most expensive fare classes, full fare Economy Y, full fare Premium Economy W, and full fare Business J, may be upgraded without copay and at a lower cost in miles. See here.

Taxes and carrier-imposed fees:

Co-payment is non-refundable and inclusive of U.S. excise tax where applicable.

Mileage upgrade award tickets are subject to applicable taxes and security fees and may incur additional taxes as a result of upgrading to a higher class cabin (includes higher U.K. Air Passenger Duty If Flight originates in the UK or is a connecting flight with a connection time of 24:00 or more)..)
  • Upgrading from Economy Class to Business Class or First Class may result in additional premium cabin taxes and carrier-imposed fees, including but not limited to flights originating in Great Britain and France.
    • If the ticket is priced in USD, the additional taxes and carrier-imposed fees will be converted to USD at the time of ticketing.
      • Please contact American Airlines Reservations to obtain applicable taxes and carrier-imposed fees for specific itineraries.

NOTE:

Miles and copay upgrades are to the next available cabin of service, are based on inventory being available, usable on AA marketed and operated flights (not codeshares operated by other airlines, not on other airlines' prime flights - BA and IB allow miles upgrades with AA miles but are very different and therefore not treated here).

See AA Participating Airline Upgrade Award - BA, IB, including codeshares (master thd), and note “one class of service” means Y to PE, PE to J, J to F where available on BA.

If the required inventory exists, they can be booked positively (i.e. upgraded immediately); if not, the request is wait listed. Wait list clearance is by status (EXP highest, no status lowest), and within status priority is by rolling 12 month EQD spend. Elites can have one traveling companion on the same PNR "borrow" their status for upgrade wait list purposes, until the request goes to the airport list, where you may want to assure your travel companion continues to hold your “borrowed” status for upgrade purposes.

Copays are waived for CK on all flights.
Frequently Asked Questions / FAQ:

Q. It says the upgrade fees are nonrefundable. Do I lose my miles and money if I'm not upgraded?

If your upgrade request does not go through, miles and copay are in fact refunded.

Q. If I am waitlisted, in what priority order are upgrades processed?

Upgrades are processed first by AAdvantage status tier, secondarily by type of upgrade, thirdly by the previous rolling 12 month EQD spend.

Q. Which has higher priority if all other preceding factors are the same? An upgraded with miles + copay, or an upgraded with SWU?

They have equal priority. A few reports state copay + upgrade have been given priority at some overseas stations.

Q. How soon will I know if my upgrade came through?

It can happen anytime inventory opens, from the time you book until the time you board. (Your request, including date and time of request, should carry over automatically to the airport list.)

Q. How soon will I know if my upgrade came through?

It can happen anytime inventory opens, from the time you book until the time you board. (Your request, including date and time of request, should carry over automatically to the airport list.)

Q. What happens to my booked seat whilst I'm waitlisted? If my upgrade doesn't come through, do I lose my reserved seat?

You normally retain your booked seat until (if) your upgrade comes through.

Q. How many flights can I upgrade with a single miles plus copay upgrade?

You may (assuming available inventory) upgrade up to three segments on the same ticketed itinerary (e.g. LHR-ORD-MIA-EZE, as long as they are on the same PNR).

Q. Can I look at AAnytime or MileSAAver award space to determine upgrade availability?

No. MileSAAver availability may be a good indication upgrade space may become available, but SAAver and upgrade inventories are separate.

Q. What fare inventory do I need to upgrade?

You need available "C" inventory to upgrade to two class domestic First and three class Business, "A" to three class First. These are not shown on aa.com, but some services (e.g. ExpertFlyer) do show them. The only way to reliably search for upgrade space on Expertflyer or other services is segment by segment. The reason for this is that by rule if C is available on the stand alone segment then the upgrade is allowed.

Q. I'm Executive Platinum. If I purchase an upgrade for someone without status, will they "borrow" my status for upgrade purposes?

They will if they are flying as your single traveling companion on the same flights. Otherwise, their status will determine their position on the upgrade wait list. This "borrowed" status was previously lost once the flight has gone to airport control; it doesn’t now, but it pays to check and see if it has been mismanaged by software - it can be restored when it has passed to airport control.

Q. Which miles earning and fare conditions will apply to my upgraded flights?

You will earn miles (award miles -- RDM -- and EQM) and EQ Dollars credit as determined by your originally purchased fare, and the applicable fare rules will also be determined by your originally purchased fare.

Older posts can be read in ARCHIVE: FAQ: Miles + Copay Upgrade / Upgrades (consolidated)

Print Wikipost

FAQ: Miles + Copay Upgrade / Upgrades (master thread)

Search this Thread

Old Jul 2, 2019, 10:46 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
IHG Contributor Badge

Programs: AA Lifetime PLT, Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by SkyTeam777
How long does it take for mileage to be deducted from your account if processed at the airport? Is it like SWUs where it takes a few days/weeks, but they pull them in one large sweep?
Originally Posted by econometrics

Usually a day or two. However, I’ve had a couple upgrades this year at the airport where they haven’t yet pulled the miles...
Originally Posted by beachfan
My experience is that the miles come out sooner or later, sometimes weeks later, if processed at the airport.
Originally Posted by escapefromphl
It's now been over 3 weeks since I requested the upgrade (which went through prior to the flight also about three weeks ago). I would like to expense the cash copay portion if it is, in fact, going to be billed...

On our trip ti DUB, miles we deducted from my account 2 days later, the same day I got an email was the day they were deducted. But of course YUMV
Old Jul 6, 2019, 6:13 pm

I’m seeing C1 on Ord Bcn 7/23 on ExeprtFlyer. When I called to upgrade with miles + copay, agent said that there are no upgrades to J available but she can upgrade me to PE for 25k miles and 350 dollars. I’m still seeing C1 for that flight. I asked her since when did upgrade procedure change, she couldn’t give me an answer. Now I’m waiting for AA to call me back so I can ask again. (I called Australian number first, cuz US number was about 50 min wait time).
did something change recently that I’m not aware of? I thought upgrades are still go from Y to J
Old Jul 6, 2019, 7:23 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by gateH15
I’m seeing C1 on Ord Bcn 7/23 on ExeprtFlyer. When I called to upgrade with miles + copay, agent said that there are no upgrades to J available but she can upgrade me to PE for 25k miles and 350 dollars. I’m still seeing C1 for that flight. I asked her since when did upgrade procedure change, she couldn’t give me an answer. Now I’m waiting for AA to call me back so I can ask again. (I called Australian number first, cuz US number was about 50 min wait time).
did something change recently that I’m not aware of? I thought upgrades are still go from Y to J
Try a U.S. agent for the correct answer.
Old Jul 6, 2019, 7:24 pm

Originally Posted by JonNYC
Try a U.S. agent for the correct answer.
just did and got upgraded. Stupidity of some agents still amazes me.
JonNYC and dciolli like this.
Old Jul 16, 2019, 2:11 pm

Programs: AA EXP, Delta, Amtrak, Hertz PC
This may be addressed somewhere in this thread, but I can't find it. How are upgrades supposed to work on 2 leg segments?

I was trying to upgrade IAH-LAX-SFO and SFO-DFW-BMI next month.

In the past, they would not upgrade one leg unless both legs were available, so even though LAX-SFO has availability, since IAH-LAX doesn't they would not process.

Well, I look at my reservation, and LAX-SFO and DFW-BMI are upgraded, but IAH-LAX and SFO-DFW aren't. I called back and they said this was the way it was normally done. The PNR now looks split with 4 distinct legs. They said I can cancel the upgrades and go back to coach if the other legs don't clear, but that seems complicated.

Any advice?

Is this the normal now, or did I get to agents that didn't know what to do? Should I try to call again? Should I drop the request? I really don't want to burn 30,000 miles and $150 for LAX-SFO and DFW-BMI.
Old Jul 16, 2019, 2:24 pm

Programs: AA Lifetime Plat; Bonvoy Titanium Lifetime Elite;Hyatt Globalist; HHonors Diamond; United Silver
Ask them to move you back to coach. You can get the miles back (but not the copay I think).

As far as I know, it’s always been that way.
Old Jul 23, 2019, 5:50 pm

I had to voluntarily cancel my today’s flight ORD-BCN-ORD. I had cleared miles+copay upgrade 2 weeks ago for ORD-BCN leg. When I called to cancel they told me I’ll get a future flight credit minus cancellation fee when I rebook within one year of the purchase. And they told me I have an option to redeposit 25k miles back to my account for 150 dollars which i don’t want to do. Agent told me that I can transfer that upgrade to the future flight in book in the same region but was not sure if I’ll be waitlisted or I will be booked into J right away.
does new flight has to have C space available at the time of rebooking ?
What happens if it doesn’t and I’m wailisted on the outbound flight and don’t clear it ? Can I call them transfer that unused upgrade to inbound flight ?
What if I don’t clear it for both legs - can I try to use it for another flight in the future ?
sorry never had to deal with canceling ticket that has been upgraded and AAgent was not sure what’s gonna happen
Old Jul 23, 2019, 8:27 pm

Programs: AY+ Plat, Marriott Plat, Hyatt Discoverist
I had to voluntarily cancel my today’s flight ORD-BCN-ORD. I had cleared miles+copay upgrade 2 weeks ago for ORD-BCN leg. When I called to cancel they told me I’ll get a future flight credit minus cancellation fee when I rebook within one year of the purchase. And they told me I have an option to redeposit 25k miles back to my account for 150 dollars which i don’t want to do. Agent told me that I can transfer that upgrade to the future flight in book in the same region but was not sure if I’ll be waitlisted or I will be booked into J right away.
does new flight has to have C space available at the time of rebooking ?
What happens if it doesn’t and I’m wailisted on the outbound flight and don’t clear it ? Can I call them transfer that unused upgrade to inbound flight ?
What if I don’t clear it for both legs - can I try to use it for another flight in the future ?
sorry never had to deal with canceling ticket that has been upgraded and AAgent was not sure what’s gonna happen
I've never heard of being able to transfer a miles + copay upgrade from one booking to another, much less from a cancelled booking to a presently nonexistent booking. Given the general level of competence of AAgents these days, I'd take whatever the agent told you with a grain of salt. I would be especially wary of waitlisting, because the way the waitlist is set up is that you are charged once you clear the waitlist. I'm not sure how an agent would be able to set it up so you are not charged when the upgrade clears.
Old Jul 23, 2019, 8:28 pm

Originally Posted by flyingeph12
I've never heard of being able to transfer a miles + copay upgrade from one booking to another, much less from a cancelled booking to a presently nonexistent booking. Given the general level of competence of AAgents these days, I'd take whatever the agent told you with a grain of salt. I would be especially wary of waitlisting, because the way the waitlist is set up is that you are charged once you clear the waitlist. I'm not sure how an agent would be able to set it up so you are not charged when the upgrade clears.
actually twitter team who cancelled the reservation for me also said the same thing. I’ve never heard of it before so wanted to double check
Old Jul 23, 2019, 8:31 pm

actually twitter team who cancelled the reservation for me also said the same thing. I’ve never heard of it before so wanted to double check
Well, if it actually works, I'd be interested to know how it works.
Old Jul 24, 2019, 4:47 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP 2MM, SK EBS

Originally Posted by flyingeph12
Well, if it actually works, I'd be interested to know how it works.
The ability to do this has been around for a long time, it's just a rare occurance so you don't hear much about it.

You're not technically transferring the upgrade to a new booking, it just stays attached to the original cancelled ticket along with any remaining ticket value. When you call AA to rebook a flight using the remaining ticket value, have them apply the upgrade (if C space is available) or add you to the waitlist. You are not booked directly to business if no upgrade space is available on the new flight.

If the upgrade clears, then great. If it doesn't clear, then there's not much you can do other than A) just forfeit the miles and $$, or B) pay the redeposit fee and at least get 25k miles back*.

*If the upgrade doesn't clear, I assume you could call AA after flying the ticket and still do a miles redeposit, but not 100% sure on this.
flyingeph12 likes this.
Old Jul 24, 2019, 9:02 am

Originally Posted by JJeffrey
The ability to do this has been around for a long time, it's just a rare occurance so you don't hear much about it.

You're not technically transferring the upgrade to a new booking, it just stays attached to the original cancelled ticket along with any remaining ticket value. When you call AA to rebook a flight using the remaining ticket value, have them apply the upgrade (if C space is available) or add you to the waitlist. You are not booked directly to business if no upgrade space is available on the new flight.

If the upgrade clears, then great. If it doesn't clear, then there's not much you can do other than A) just forfeit the miles and $$, or B) pay the redeposit fee and at least get 25k miles back*.

*If the upgrade doesn't clear, I assume you could call AA after flying the ticket and still do a miles redeposit, but not 100% sure on this.
Good to know. Thanks.

Do you have to have remaining value on the ticket to be able to do this? In other words, let’s say I paid $250 for the ticket, and the change fee is $275. Would I simply have to pay $25 to apply the upgrade to another ticket? Also, am I right to assume that I wouldn’t need to pay the copay again? Even though that’s nonrefundable, it’s not technically being refunded.
Old Jul 24, 2019, 10:29 am

Programs: AS MVP Gold 75K, CX Green
In my understanding, the mile+copay essentially buys you an "upgrade award" ticket, with its own award code (like a fare basis) and fare conditions. When you are redepositing the upgrade, you are charged 150USD cancellation fee (same as redepositing an award), and changes to the upgrade incur no cost as long as the origin/dest are the same (same as changing a sAAver).

I imagine that when your new flight clears, they will be able to attach the upgrade award to the new ticket and reissue the ticket.
Old Jul 24, 2019, 11:04 am

Originally Posted by shd9
In my understanding, the mile+copay essentially buys you an "upgrade award" ticket, with its own award code (like a fare basis) and fare conditions. When you are redepositing the upgrade, you are charged 150USD cancellation fee (same as redepositing an award), and changes to the upgrade incur no cost as long as the origin/dest are the same (same as changing a sAAver).

I imagine that when your new flight clears, they will be able to attach the upgrade award to the new ticket and reissue the ticket.
thanks! Does new flight has to be Ord-BCN or can it be ORD-LHR or any other flight to Europe ?
Old Jul 24, 2019, 11:30 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP 2MM, SK EBS

thanks! Does new flight has to be Ord-BCN or can it be ORD-LHR or any other flight to Europe ?
Any flight to Europe should work.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.