Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

Carrier Imposed Surcharge / YQ: AA award on BA / British (& IB) & avoiding it

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Oct 14, 2014, 10:32 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Prospero
Help with British Airways and Iberia Carrier Imposed Surcharges

Using AAdvantage miles for awards using British Airways generally* incurs very high carrier imposed surcharges / fees (BA charges their own BAEC flyers these for Avios redemptions as well). AA awards on IB incur considerably lower fees (~$50 one way transatlantic is quoted by one member, the link to travelisfree.com below gives a BA flight with $458 YQ, IB $96). One FTer claims $700 BA YQ fees for SAN-PRG return, which is not unusual). You are likely to find lots of availability on BA using the aa.com award booking facility.

Intra-European awards using BA have significantly lower carrier imposed charges; some members may find using AA or other partner transatlantic connecting to BA may be acceptable.

NOTE: Paying YQ may trigger a host of other taxes and fees otherwise not charged on awards that do not include carrier imposed surcharges such as YQ. Flights within the Americas are YQ exempt.

As this is still flying on an award, these carrier imposed surcharges do not qualify for EQM or EQD earning.

Be sure to read the oneworld and Other Airline (Partner) Awards info, rules 2014 on thread wiki for information on searching for and finding alternative flights or those not shown on aa.com, which airlines' websites can find those, etc.

Read more about BA Carrier Imposed Surcharges on AA awards here (rrgg supplied most of these below:

Fuel Surcharge for AA award redemptions on BA are up - again.
Partner airline awards now bookable on AA.com (AB, AS, AY, BA, HA, HG, QF, RJ, US)
Does AA push most of its European Awards to BA to collect fuel surcharges?

Charts from TravelIsFree for the three alliances and how you will pay (or avoid) YQ: http://travelisfree.com/2014/04/15/m...surcharges-yq/

HELP DESK: MileSAAver / SAAver award questions, assistance
AA oneworld and Other Airline ("All Partner") Award information, rules (2015 on)

Originating a flight in the UK incurs an Air Passenger Duty, reduced for seats with less than 40" seat pitch (except those originating from originating in BFS / Northern Ireland, Scottish Highlands (INV) or Islands, and connections less than 24 hours do not incur UK Air Passenger Duty, though they do incur airport Passenger Service Charges). Separate topic, dealt with:

UK APD / Air Passenger Duty charged for UK departures (Master Thread); defines what the APD is in the wikipost.
Avoiding crazy UK "APD" taxes when transferring through LHR on separate tickets

Archived posts May 2012 - 2016 may be read here.
Print Wikipost

Search this Thread

Old Jan 17, 2020, 12:26 pm

Programs: Free agent
Yes and yes.
Old Jan 17, 2020, 12:29 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AS 75K, DL Silver, UA Platinum, Hilton Gold, Hyatt Discoverist, Marriott Platinum + LT Gold
Originally Posted by laurinky
Do you know if BA charges this for their own frequent flyer program?
And on revenue flights?
Yes.

Lots of airlines fly through LHR, so you have options other than BA. Other airlines have surcharges too but at different levels.

Also, your ultimate destination is Greece, so there are a lot of options to avoid LHR altogether.
Old Jan 17, 2020, 12:33 pm

In a reply above you were given the link to the main thread on the subject. The answer to your question is contained in the wiki of that thread, in fact in one of the first sentences.

Just to be clear, your question is perfectly reasonable; however, it is old news here and it's not worth discussing all over again. This is why some major threads have wikis.

Revenue flights are a different issue---the bottom line is all that matters, so who cares how they get to the total.

Last edited by SeeBuyFly; Jan 17, 2020 at 2:43 pm
Old Jan 17, 2020, 12:36 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
Fly AA, AY, IB (much lower fees than BA) and connect in the US and EU. E.g. BOS-DFW-MAD-ATH. You’re paying the carrier imposed surcharge, previously fuel surcharge, for flying BA. See the Wikipost for more information.
Old Jan 17, 2020, 12:37 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Indeed - $1300 is the exhorbitant carrier surcharge for business class r/t US-Greece ( $650 each way )
You can reduce this to $879 by booking 2 x one way tickets.
The surcharge for Greece - US in business class is $229 , so adding $650 , brings it to not quite so bad $879

If you want to avoid surcharges, you need to avoid BA. If you can get AA for the transatlantic portion, they would drop to about $60 each way

For economy class you would drop from $400 to $308.60 with 2 x one way tickets
JDiver likes this.
Old Jan 17, 2020, 1:37 pm

Programs: Aadvantage, MileagePlus, Hawaiian Miles, Skymiles
Originally Posted by MSYtoJFKagain
Yes and yes.
I just looked at a revenue ticket from them on the same date and the entire ticket is less than their fee here...
Old Jan 17, 2020, 1:39 pm

Originally Posted by Dave Noble
Indeed - $1300 is the exhorbitant carrier surcharge for business class r/t US-Greece ( $650 each way )
You can reduce this to $879 by booking 2 x one way tickets.
The surcharge for Greece - US in business class is $229 , so adding $650 , brings it to not quite so bad $879

If you want to avoid surcharges, you need to avoid BA. If you can get AA for the transatlantic portion, they would drop to about $60 each way

For economy class you would drop from $400 to $308.60 with 2 x one way tickets
I'm coming from Boston, so from what I can see BA is my only option to use my miles to Athens for April travel. But the mileage fee costs more than a revenue ticket so it looks like those miles will be sitting for a while longer.
Old Jan 17, 2020, 1:41 pm

Originally Posted by JDiver
Fly AA, AY, IB (much lower fees than BA) and connect in the US and EU. E.g. BOS-DFW-MAD-ATH. You’re paying the carrier imposed surcharge, previously fuel surcharge, for flying BA. See the Wikipost for more information.
Hmm. Creative workaround!! I wouldn't mind it if I can book in Business but my body might not be able to handle sitting so long in economy. I'll see what I can find.
Did you find that as a single routing or is it necessary to book multiple tickets?
Old Jan 17, 2020, 1:48 pm

Originally Posted by Djokison
That’s an easy one, just avoid booking BA flights on the long haul portion.

It's not so easy on AA when you live in Boston and have to fly to Athens in the off season. :-/
Old Jan 17, 2020, 1:50 pm

Originally Posted by mvoight
OP: Avoid BA for the Transatlantic, if possible, which will get rid of the vast majority of the carrier imposed fees
Otherwise, simply pretend there is no availability to your destination if BA is the TATL carrier
Additionally, connecting in London brings up UK APD, a tax
I'm a newbie here. What is "TATL?"
And that helps with a work-around?
Old Jan 17, 2020, 2:45 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold / VS /IHG Diamond & Ambassador
Originally Posted by mvoight
Additionally, connecting in London brings up UK APD, a tax
No it does not if you fly something like BOS-LHR-Europe.

And on revenue flights?
Yes

I'm a newbie here. What is "TATL?"
And that helps with a work-around?
Trans Atlantic

To avoid BA to avoid their carrier surcharge see if you can get an AA reward to somewhere else in Europe and then fly to your ultimate destination from there.
Old Jan 17, 2020, 3:18 pm

Programs: AAdvantage
Originally Posted by UKtravelbear
No it does not if you fly something like BOS-LHR-Europe..
Providing the connection time in the UK is less than 24 hours.
Old Jan 17, 2020, 3:40 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: BA Gold / VS /IHG Diamond & Ambassador
Originally Posted by DigitalDemographic
Providing the connection time in the UK is less than 24 hours.
which in the vast majority of cases they are. OP of this particular question did not mention wanting to stay in the UK hence it is not a factor.
Old Jan 17, 2020, 4:22 pm

Programs: AA, DL, AS, VA, WS Silver
United fees (inc tax) $94.75

AA fees (inc tax) $994.75

AA's fees are exactly TEN TIMES United's fees.
A quibble: the AA/BA fees are exactly $1000 more than UA’a fees; they’re actually a bit more than ten times UA’s fees!

But yes, as others have said, BA fees are much higher. Not coincidentally, BA availability tends to be much better because the value proposition is dramatically worse (and presumably BA’s revenue management is much more willing to make awards available because they get revenue from the awards).
Old Jan 17, 2020, 4:37 pm

Originally Posted by ashill
A quibble: the AA/BA fees are exactly $1000 more than UA’a fees...
How exact is that calculation?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.