Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

Carrier Imposed Surcharge / YQ: AA award on BA / British (& IB) & avoiding it

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Oct 14, 2014, 10:32 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Prospero
Help with British Airways and Iberia Carrier Imposed Surcharges

Using AAdvantage miles for awards using British Airways generally* incurs very high carrier imposed surcharges / fees (BA charges their own BAEC flyers these for Avios redemptions as well). AA awards on IB incur considerably lower fees (~$50 one way transatlantic is quoted by one member, the link to travelisfree.com below gives a BA flight with $458 YQ, IB $96). One FTer claims $700 BA YQ fees for SAN-PRG return, which is not unusual). You are likely to find lots of availability on BA using the aa.com award booking facility.

Intra-European awards using BA have significantly lower carrier imposed charges; some members may find using AA or other partner transatlantic connecting to BA may be acceptable.

NOTE: Paying YQ may trigger a host of other taxes and fees otherwise not charged on awards that do not include carrier imposed surcharges such as YQ. Flights within the Americas are YQ exempt.

As this is still flying on an award, these carrier imposed surcharges do not qualify for EQM or EQD earning.

Be sure to read the oneworld and Other Airline (Partner) Awards info, rules 2014 on thread wiki for information on searching for and finding alternative flights or those not shown on aa.com, which airlines' websites can find those, etc.

Read more about BA Carrier Imposed Surcharges on AA awards here (rrgg supplied most of these below:

Fuel Surcharge for AA award redemptions on BA are up - again.
Partner airline awards now bookable on AA.com (AB, AS, AY, BA, HA, HG, QF, RJ, US)
Does AA push most of its European Awards to BA to collect fuel surcharges?

Charts from TravelIsFree for the three alliances and how you will pay (or avoid) YQ: http://travelisfree.com/2014/04/15/m...surcharges-yq/

HELP DESK: MileSAAver / SAAver award questions, assistance
AA oneworld and Other Airline ("All Partner") Award information, rules (2015 on)

Originating a flight in the UK incurs an Air Passenger Duty, reduced for seats with less than 40" seat pitch (except those originating from originating in BFS / Northern Ireland, Scottish Highlands (INV) or Islands, and connections less than 24 hours do not incur UK Air Passenger Duty, though they do incur airport Passenger Service Charges). Separate topic, dealt with:

UK APD / Air Passenger Duty charged for UK departures (Master Thread); defines what the APD is in the wikipost.
Avoiding crazy UK "APD" taxes when transferring through LHR on separate tickets

Archived posts May 2012 - 2016 may be read here.
Print Wikipost

Carrier Imposed Surcharge / YQ: AA award on BA / British (& IB) & avoiding it

Search this Thread

Old Feb 10, 2019, 12:21 am

Programs: AA EXP, DL PM, Hyatt Glob, Marriott Ambassador/LTP, Nat'l Exec Elite, LEYE Gold
This is normal for AA redemptions on BA. If you search, there are lots of threads about this. It has been this way with BA for many years now. The exorbitant fees are unique to BA, but not everyone is against at least having the option available.

That said, most people here wouldn't consider Norwegian's premium seat to come anywhere close to a true lie-flat product. (I wouldn't fly BA's J either in most cases, because it's so narrow, but still; Norwegian is just an extra-reclining recliner like the old Virgin America product).

In any event, AA flies true lie-flat business class seats into CDG from MIA, DFW, CLT, PHL, JFK, and ORD. You can get to all those cities nonstop from SFO, including various lie-flat options on those, too. Of course, odds of finding a "saver" redemption SFO-XXX-CDG on your preferred dates are nearly zero, but you should still set ExpertFlyer alerts (for each TATL leg individually and for the 2-segment itineraries) in case it pops up -- total of 12 alerts. If availability does pop up, you may be able to redeem 57,500 miles and $5.60-11.20 for an excellent all-AA itinerary. It just takes some work and luck.
Old Feb 10, 2019, 6:17 am

Originally Posted by RickR
For about the same money I got a premium seat, non stop, on Norwegian. No miles.
What do you mean? To my knowledge, you earn points on all Norwegian flights.

Point accrual: https://en.norwegianreward.com/earn-...avel/norwegian
Status benefits: https://en.norwegianreward.com/about-us/about-rewards
Old Feb 10, 2019, 7:11 am

Programs: AA EXP, HH Diamond, Owner of 2,000 TWA shares
Originally Posted by Some person
What do you mean? To my knowledge, you earn points on all Norwegian flights.

Point accrual: https://en.norwegianreward.com/earn-...avel/norwegian
Status benefits: https://en.norwegianreward.com/about-us/about-rewards
I think they meant they didn't have to redeem miles. Same price with no miles redeemed.
ijgordon and RickR like this.
Old Feb 10, 2019, 8:28 am

Originally Posted by platbrownguy
This is normal for AA redemptions on BA. If you search, there are lots of threads about this. It has been this way with BA for many years now. The exorbitant fees are unique to BA, but not everyone is against at least having the option available.

That said, most people here wouldn't consider Norwegian's premium seat to come anywhere close to a true lie-flat product. (I wouldn't fly BA's J either in most cases, because it's so narrow, but still; Norwegian is just an extra-reclining recliner like the old Virgin America product).

In any event, AA flies true lie-flat business class seats into CDG from MIA, DFW, CLT, PHL, JFK, and ORD. You can get to all those cities nonstop from SFO, including various lie-flat options on those, too. Of course, odds of finding a "saver" redemption SFO-XXX-CDG on your preferred dates are nearly zero, but you should still set ExpertFlyer alerts (for each TATL leg individually and for the 2-segment itineraries) in case it pops up -- total of 12 alerts. If availability does pop up, you may be able to redeem 57,500 miles and $5.60-11.20 for an excellent all-AA itinerary. It just takes some work and luck.
Taxes/fees would be more in the $135 range for the round trip
Old Feb 10, 2019, 8:59 am

Programs: AA EP, Hilton Diamond, Hertz Platinum
At least flying British Airways, you know the airline is not going to go past bust anytime soon. unlike Norwegian that is on rocky financial ground.
Old Feb 10, 2019, 9:09 am
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
Did you look at possible LAX-CDG availability using AA miles on TN / Air Tahiti Nui?

See

https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/amer...er-thread.html

HELP DESK: MileSAAver / SAAver award questions, assistance

More award availability restricted by married segments / connections
Old Feb 10, 2019, 9:48 am

Programs: AA CK, Hyatt Globalist
A premium seat on Norwegian is actually more like a Premium Economy seat on most other TATL flights. As bad as BA Metal is, their Business Class seat and service is much better than Norwegian.
trooper likes this.
Old Feb 10, 2019, 9:58 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL 1 million, AA 1 mil, HH lapsed Diamond, Marriott Plat
Also I find AA award itineraries feature extraneous stops and connections usually. Award travel on AA is not as useful as it used to be.
It's absolutely true that AA saver awards are not as useful as they used to be. For destinations served by AA metal you're welcome to use more miles for an AAnytime award to improve the routing.

Norwegian may actually be in business long enough to fly you to Paris and back.
Old Feb 10, 2019, 3:59 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by 3Cforme
I

Norwegian may actually be in business long enough to fly you to Paris and back.
But how many days will the flights take!
Old Feb 10, 2019, 6:01 pm

Programs: UA PP (2MM), BA gold
When you get results on AA, uncheck the BA box and IF there are any options left you will see a reasonable tax/fees. BA scam charges make any award a joke.
RickR likes this.
Old Feb 10, 2019, 6:37 pm

Programs: AA
I wanted to use some of my AA mileage to get to Paris. I found a one-stop/change Business class itinerary from SFO to CDG - with fees of about $600!
For about the same money I got a premium seat, non stop, on Norwegian. No miles.
The AA flights were actually on BA. These exorbitant fees to use miles must be to compensate BA?
Also I find AA award itineraries feature extraneous stops and connections usually. Award travel on AA is not as useful as it used to be.
In order to avoid LHR and BA, you need to play around with cities. For instance, we are going to Switzerland in the fall, and couldn't find MileSAAver Business fares there. So, we're going through other European gateway cities where AA has direct flights and enjoying some extra days in other places. Flights and trains inside Europe are very cheap, just find a way to get to the continent and avoid BA at all costs and you'll be fine. When you use the search function when booking a miles ticket to Europe, go Advanced Search, and choose American Airlines only. Search everyday, as cities and flight availability change often.

I used this list of direct AA flights from the Wiki:

AMS - PHL, DFW(s)
ATH - ORD (s), PHL(s)
BCN - CLT(s), JFK, MIA, ORD(s), PHL(s)
BLQ - PHL(s)
BUD - PHL(s)
CDG - CLT (s), DFW, JFK, MIA, ORD (s), PHL
DBV - PHL(s)
DUB - CLT(s), DFW(s), ORD(s), PHL
EDI - PHL(s)
FCO - CLT(s), JFK (s), ORD(s), PHL, DFW(s)
FRA - CLT, DFW
KEF - DFW (s)
LIS - PHL(s)
LHR - CLT, DFW, JFK, LAX, MIA, ORD, PHL, PHX (s), RDU
MAD - CLT(s), DFW, JFK, MIA, PHL
MAN - PHL
MUC - CLT, DFW(s), PHL (ends March 30, 2019)
MXP - JFK, MIA
PRG - PHL(s)
SNN - PHL(s)
TXL - PHL(s)
VCE - PHL(s), ORD(s)
ZRH - PHL
RickR likes this.
Old Feb 10, 2019, 8:16 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime PLT, AS MVPG, HH Diamond, NCL Platinum Plus, MSC Diamond
Originally Posted by zebranz
When you get results on AA, uncheck the BA box and IF there are any options left you will see a reasonable tax/fees. BA scam charges make any award a joke.
That isn't helpful if you are willing to pay the BA fees for the interEurope segment, but not the TATL
Old Feb 27, 2019, 3:44 pm

Programs: Most FF and hotel, i.e., spread too thin.
...AA flies true lie-flat business class seats into CDG from MIA, DFW, CLT, PHL, JFK, and ORD. You can get to all those cities nonstop from SFO, including various lie-flat options on those, too. Of course, odds of finding a "saver" redemption SFO-XXX-CDG on your preferred dates are nearly zero, but you should still set ExpertFlyer alerts (for each TATL leg individually and for the 2-segment itineraries) in case it pops up -- total of 12 alerts. If availability does pop up, you may be able to redeem 57,500 miles and $5.60-11.20 for an excellent all-AA itinerary. It just takes some work and luck.
Plat - I was able to get a return for 57.5K miles - CDG-LHR on BA, then AA to LAX and on to SFO. I may try to improve that itinerary using some of the useful advice on this site. Thanks.
[well aware that Norwegian is not in the same class at the front of the plane - but perfectly good enough for me. Their economy seating on 787s is quite competitive.)
Old Feb 27, 2019, 7:54 pm

Programs: AA EXP, DL PM, Hyatt Glob, Marriott Ambassador/LTP, Nat'l Exec Elite, LEYE Gold
Plat - I was able to get a return for 57.5K miles - CDG-LHR on BA, then AA to LAX and on to SFO. I may try to improve that itinerary using some of the useful advice on this site. Thanks.
[well aware that Norwegian is not in the same class at the front of the plane - but perfectly good enough for me. Their economy seating on 787s is quite competitive.)
Great -- glad to hear you pulled off LHR-LAX on AA for 57.5k -- that's definitely the hard part of that puzzle.
Old Mar 1, 2019, 2:59 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
IHG Contributor Badge

Programs: AA Lifetime PLT, Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium, Hilton Gold
Great -- glad to hear you pulled off LHR-LAX on AA for 57.5k -- that's definitely the hard part of that puzzle.
The awards are out there, you just have to shift through a lot of BS, I was even able to find F awards on the LAX-LHR-LAX on AA. I just booked 2 awards on AA PHX-LHR-PHX in J for 57.5K on the AA nonstop. I have learned that you must be open to any day and any time of the year but they are out there.
enpremiere likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.