FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   American Airlines | AAdvantage (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/american-airlines-aadvantage-733/)
-   -   GUIDE: LHR / London Heathrow, Connection, MCT inc. AA T3 <--> BA/IB T5 (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/american-airlines-aadvantage/1321109-guide-lhr-london-heathrow-connection-mct-inc-aa-t3-ba-ib-t5.html)

KARFA Mar 20, 2023 1:17 am

Originally Posted by VegasGambler (Post 35101461)
Leaving plenty of time for self-connections is good advice but I thought it was OW policy to protect on OW-to-OW self-connections? Does BA (or I guess AA in this case) not follow this policy? (I'm also well-aware that you have no recourse if an airline breaks alliance policy)

no it’s isn’t oneworld policy, and neither ba or aa do that (aa did until around 2020/21 but no longer do so).

VegasGambler Mar 20, 2023 1:35 am

Originally Posted by KARFA (Post 35101488)
no it’s isn’t oneworld policy, and neither ba or aa do that (aa did until around 2020/21 but no longer do so).

In my experience AA is good at rebooking you no matter what. A few months ago I slept in and missed the bag drop deadline for my flight (I was flying BUR-PHX after spending a couple of days in LA after returning from Japan, so I had a big bag that had to be checked) and the agent at BUR just rebooked me out of LAX with no questions asked (it was the last flight of the day out of BUR... "slept in" was well into the afternoon due to jetlag). And it was a web special award, so no changes allowed. She could have just said "too bad" and had me cancel and rebook at current prices (that's technically the rule, after all -- no changes to web specials) but that's not what happened.

Admittedly I have status but this was not the EXP desk; it was a random agent at the check-in desk at BUR. I get the idea that that was SOP for anyone who was too late to make the flight.

KARFA Mar 20, 2023 2:08 am

Originally Posted by VegasGambler (Post 35101515)
In my experience AA is good at rebooking you no matter what. A few months ago I slept in and missed the bag drop deadline for my flight (I was flying BUR-PHX after spending a couple of days in LA after returning from Japan, so I had a big bag that had to be checked) and the agent at BUR just rebooked me out of LAX with no questions asked (it was the last flight of the day out of BUR... "slept in" was well into the afternoon due to jetlag). And it was a web special award, so no changes allowed. She could have just said "too bad" and had me cancel and rebook at current prices (that's technically the rule, after all -- no changes to web specials) but that's not what happened.

Admittedly I have status but this was not the EXP desk; it was a random agent at the check-in desk at BUR. I get the idea that that was SOP for anyone who was too late to make the flight.

Well yes the OP might get lucky, but I wouldn't count on it. My recent experience at LAX was a firm no, and yes the policy changed recently so officially there is no protection. Clearly you can't plan on having protection, but if the worst happens you can try pleading your case and hope you get lucky. Of course the best solution is to plan with plenty of padding between flights so you don't end up in that situation to start with

https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/american-airlines-aadvantage/1954412-aa-protection-separate-oneworld-tickets-pnr-9.html
https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/american-airlines-aadvantage/1283424-aa-protection-oso-irops-irrops-misconnect-separate-aa-oneworld-tickets-7.html

Jonesdds Mar 20, 2023 9:40 am

Originally Posted by KARFA (Post 35101440)
If your ZRH-LHR-US is all one booking then your bags will be checked through. On arrival in to T5 you can follow the purple signs for flight connections, and get the airside bus to T3. At T3 you will go through security at the connection centre. You can if you want exit T5 through immigration and take the tube/HEX/crossrail to T3 if you want, it won't affect anything.

If this is two separate bookings then your bags won't be checked through. You would have to go through immigration at T5, collect your bags, take tube/HEX/crossrail to T3, and check the bags in there. As it would be two separate bookings you will have to ensure you leave enough time as you won't be rebooked if you are late. I would do 4 hours minimum to give time to do the connection and have some padding in case of delays.

And 75-90 min is the minimum connection time? Does this route to T3 remain pretty consistent on time it takes?

JJeffrey Mar 20, 2023 9:46 am

Originally Posted by Jonesdds (Post 35102389)
And 75-90 min is the minimum connection time? Does this route to T3 remain pretty consistent on time it takes?

90 mins is the official MCT for a T5 <> T3 connection.

The route between T5 and T3 is pretty consistent with the biggest variable being how long it takes to go through transit security once you get to T3.

But if your flight is on time with at least 90 mins you'll have plenty of time.

Jonesdds Mar 20, 2023 5:21 pm

Originally Posted by JJeffrey (Post 35102396)
90 mins is the official MCT for a T5 <> T3 connection.

The route between T5 and T3 is pretty consistent with the biggest variable being how long it takes to go through transit security once you get to T3.

But if your flight is on time with at least 90 mins you'll have plenty of time.

great thanks, got it booked, even some time for Dan Dan noodles and champagne.

Dino55 Mar 24, 2023 3:18 am

Additional checks for transferring passangers at LHR

Please are there any additional checks / screening for passangers who are transferring from an EU flight to an US-bound flight at LHR? Except the security screening as requested by the UK government.
The boarding pass will be issued before the first leg to LHR on the whole itinerary (all flights are under the same itinerary with one reservation number). The ESTA check should be done before the first leg at the first departure city (in EU).
Thank you.

jrms Mar 24, 2023 6:02 am

Originally Posted by Dino55 (Post 35112403)
Please are there any additional checks / screening for passangers who are transferring from an EU flight to an US-bound flight at LHR? Except the security screening as requested by the UK government.
The boarding pass will be issued before the first leg to LHR on the whole itinerary (all flights are under the same itinerary with one reservation number). The ESTA check should be done before the first leg at the first departure city (in EU).
Thank you.

You will go through security screening during the Flight Connection process after arriving at Heathrow and before going to your US-bound flight’s gate.

Dino55 Mar 24, 2023 7:24 am

Additional checks for transferring passangers at LHR

Originally Posted by Dino55 (Post 35112403)
Thank you.

Originally Posted by jrms (Post 35112600)
You will go through security screening during the Flight Connection process after arriving at Heathrow and before going to your US-bound flight’s gate.

So does it mean TWO security screenings? Even not having this dreaded code SSSS on the boarding pass?

UKtravelbear Mar 24, 2023 7:30 am

You will clear security at your initial departure airport and then again at LHR.

SSSS would be an additional scan at the gate and isn't affected by either of the above.

KARFA Mar 24, 2023 8:43 am

Yes so, as long as you don't have SSSS, you would only have one security screen at LHR during your connection.

mileshound Mar 24, 2023 1:26 pm

All these scenarios are confusing me. Please help and give advice.

Arriving on AA F at 7:30am in T3. Departing on BA to CDG at 1:30pm on BA in J from terminal 5. They are separate tickets.

I assume we would grab our bags at T3 and and check in and recheck bags with BA. Now we have lots of time before the CDG flight. Can we go to the multiple lounges in T3 or do we have to go straight to T5? Probably around 11 we would make our way to T5. We would prefer to make it later so we get lunch noodles at CX lounge.

UKtravelbear Mar 24, 2023 1:52 pm

Once you’ve got your bags you need to go to T5. You cannot check in / bag drop for a T5 flight at T3.

So you’d need to clear security at T5 to then go airside to T3 (you can’t enter T3 by normal security without a T3 BP) then clear connections security at T3.

Then on return to T5 you’d clear security again,

there are several posts on this topic on the BA board. It’s really not recommended.

stifle Mar 27, 2023 8:04 am

Originally Posted by mileshound (Post 35113655)
All these scenarios are confusing me. Please help and give advice.

Arriving on AA F at 7:30am in T3. Departing on BA to CDG at 1:30pm on BA in J from terminal 5. They are separate tickets.

I assume we would grab our bags at T3 and and check in and recheck bags with BA. Now we have lots of time before the CDG flight. Can we go to the multiple lounges in T3 or do we have to go straight to T5? Probably around 11 we would make our way to T5. We would prefer to make it later so we get lunch noodles at CX lounge.

Assuming you can't convince the AAgent to check your baggage through to CDG, you will arrive, clear UK passport control, collect your bags, and take them through customs. You may use the AArrivals lounge if you like, on level 2 after customs.

You need to take yourself and your bags to T5 on the free train – get a free transfer ticket from the machines or touch one contactless card/mobile wallet per passenger on the fare gates when entering and leaving the stations. You cannot check bags in T3 for a flight from T5. At T5 you can go to business check-in (zone H) to give your bags back, and use fast track security, then you can use the Galleries First lounge on the strength of having flown inbound in F.

Arriving and departing passengers are separated at LHR, so you won't have access to T3 airside lounges without the highly tedious and non-recommended process described by UKtravelbear.

bscooter26 Mar 27, 2023 9:02 am

I can understand why it would not be recommended, but what would be the recommended process if flying in on AA and connecting to BA on separate itineraries? Is it to not check bags? Not book separate itineraries in the first place?

In my case, I had AA and BA credit to use so that's how I had to book if I wanted to use both for the same trip. Also hoping to score a SWU for the overnight leg.

JJeffrey Mar 27, 2023 9:51 am

Originally Posted by bscooter26 (Post 35120378)
I can understand why it would not be recommended, but what would be the recommended process if flying in on AA and connecting to BA on separate itineraries? Is it to not check bags? Not book separate itineraries in the first place?

In my case, I had AA and BA credit to use so that's how I had to book if I wanted to use both for the same trip. Also hoping to score a SWU for the overnight leg.

The only reason something like that wouldn't be "recommended" is that 1) any bags won't be checked through by AA, and 2) you wouldn't be protected to your final destination in the event of irrops.

But as long as you don't check bags (or allow enough time in between) and are ok with the risks then there's nothing bad or wrong about it.

I do separate ticket connections like this all the time, most recently about 2 weeks ago, arrived off RDU-LHR and connected to a separate ticket LHR-AMS. My connection time was even 15 mins under MCT, so somewhat risky but I knew that it would be no problem if we departed RDU on time. Ended up with 20 mins of lounge time.

If you don't check bags there's virtually no difference in the connecting process on separate tickets vs. a single ticket. Check in with BA online beforehand so you already have your boarding pass, when you arrive you just proceed to flight connections like usual, take the bus to T5, and proceed through the BP check and security and to the gate/lounge.

carlosdca Mar 27, 2023 9:53 am

Originally Posted by bscooter26 (Post 35120378)

In general, for any trip, not checking bags is ideal for ease of travel. I always avoid checking bags.

But if you have to check bags, I think the LHR connection on separate tickets should be fine.
I don't think hauling the bag is a big deal, if you only have one checked bag and a backpack? Having 2 or more bags plus a carry-on can make things a little bit more complicated.
If I had miles , a credit, etc that makes it a good value to book separate tickets, I would not hesitate to do it even if I have to check one bag.
For sure I would pad my connection time (maybe 3 hours?) to not to have to stress or rush during my connection. YMMV

bscooter26 Mar 27, 2023 10:35 am

Thanks both for the feedback. My connection time is just under 4 hours at the moment, and I don't have to check a bag but would like to if I can. Suppose will see how much schedule changes affect the itineraries as we get closer to the September departure.

Ironically the last time I flew through LHR in I was on one long itinerary, SMF-PHX-LHR-GVA with the PHX-LHR leg on BA metal, and they lost my one checked bag (this was in the midst of the Summer '22 Heathrow meltdown) Turned up at my home airport unannounced 3 months later.

Kacee Mar 27, 2023 11:40 am

I would recommend strongly against checking a bag for a BA connection at LHR. We've had two miserable experiences in a row. Last time (March 10) BA lost our bags for 5 days and fatally damaged one of them (a relatively expensive Rimowa). Our connection was nearly 4 hours, so there was really no excuse for our bags not making the onward flight. BA cs was absolutely worthless, and lied to me repeatedly. Absent an unusually pro-active Iberia employee at BCN, I don't think we ever would have gotten our bags.

stifle Mar 27, 2023 12:21 pm

Originally Posted by JJeffrey (Post 35120502)
If you don't check bags there's virtually no difference in the connecting process on separate tickets vs. a single ticket. Check in with BA online beforehand so you already have your boarding pass, when you arrive you just proceed to flight connections like usual, take the bus to T5, and proceed through the BP check and security and to the gate/lounge.

Indeed, and even if you can't/don't check in online there are dedicated connection check-in (ticketing) desks on the right wall as you face T5 passport control, who can sort out a boarding pass if needed.

mileshound Mar 28, 2023 10:57 am

Originally Posted by stifle (Post 35120205)
At T5 you can go to business check-in (zone H) to give your bags back, and use fast track security, then you can use the Galleries First lounge on the strength of having flown inbound in F.

I thought I could use CCR also based on incoming F. Didn't they relax the rules and now AA F is eligible? I do remember reading some posts that some lounge agents may deny you.

Blumie Mar 28, 2023 12:08 pm

Originally Posted by mileshound (Post 35123726)
I thought I could use CCR also based on incoming F. Didn't they relax the rules and now AA F is eligible? I do remember reading some posts that some lounge agents may deny you.

I recently flew DFW-LHR in AA F, connecting to BA LHR-DXB in J, and was allowed access. (I also had access to the F portion of the BA arrivals lounge in T5. When I landed in T3, I cleared immigration, took the HEX to T5, accessed the BA arrivals lounge, and later accessed the CCR.)

EQDsSUCK Mar 31, 2023 9:59 pm

Is 65 minute layover enough for int't flight connecting to int'l flight?

Would you buy a ticket that arrives from USA into LHR at 0620 and departs LHR for Budapest at 0725?

Both those flights seem to use terminal 3.

UKtravelbear Apr 1, 2023 12:07 am

T3-T3 MCT is 70 minutes so no I wouldn’t buy such a ticket.

who is selling it?

KARFA Apr 1, 2023 1:35 am

I think mct is 60 mins for a t3->t3 for any imbound connecting to a ba outbound.

if everything is on time then it should be ok, but there is not much slack there in case of minor delays. You would be rebooked to the next bud flight if you missed it.

EQDsSUCK Apr 1, 2023 5:27 am

Originally Posted by UKtravelbear (Post 35134644)
T3-T3 MCT is 70 minutes so no I wouldn’t buy such a ticket.

who is selling it?

AA.

Originally Posted by KARFA (Post 35134733)
I think mct is 60 mins for a t3->t3 for any imbound connecting to a ba outbound.

if everything is on time then it should be ok, but there is not much slack there in case of minor delays. You would be rebooked to the next bud flight if you missed it.

There is another LHR to BUD at 930.So why not just get that? aa.com is not showing that ticket. I will call to check.

Does aa.com show every permutation between two cities for a 3-4 leg award ticket? Or is there a chance for me to call and have them put the flights together I want and that be available as a viale award ticket?

KARFA Apr 1, 2023 6:00 am

Well it should show combinations if there is reward space on the later BUD flight.

JJeffrey Apr 1, 2023 7:47 am

Originally Posted by EQDsSUCK (Post 35135041)
There is another LHR to BUD at 930.So why not just get that? aa.com is not showing that ticket. I will call to check.

Does aa.com show every permutation between two cities for a 3-4 leg award ticket? Or is there a chance for me to call and have them put the flights together I want and that be available as a viale award ticket?

AA.com definitely won't show any and all available award flights depending on a bunch of factors, especially true when searching more complex routings as seems to be the case here.

Your best bet is to just put what you have on hold (including the earlier LHR-BUD), then call AA and ask to change the last flight to the later LHR-BUD. I would obviously verify that there's award availability on that later flight first (just search it separately).

That said, a 70 min T3-T3 connection really wouldn't bother me at all. Flying to LHR with close to an on time departure you'll typically arrive 10-20 mins early.

UKtravelbear Apr 1, 2023 8:02 am

Originally Posted by KARFA (Post 35134733)

I used the HAL connections planner which shows 70 minutes

IADCAflyer Apr 1, 2023 8:37 am

Originally Posted by EQDsSUCK (Post 35134485)
Would you buy a ticket that arrives from USA into LHR at 0620 and departs LHR for Budapest at 0725?

Both those flights seem to use terminal 3.

No. Not enough time to enjoy the CX lounge.

KARFA Apr 1, 2023 8:39 am

Originally Posted by UKtravelbear (Post 35135292)
I used the HAL connections planner which shows 70 minutes

I think that gives an oversimplified view

STANDARD.D/D...D/I...I/D...I/I.
ONLINE .30 1.00 1.30 1.30
OFFLINE .30 1.00 1.30 1.30
** OR * ARE ALL
**-BA II 1.30 TRM 2 - 3
**-BA II 1.00 TRM 3 - 3
**-BA II 1.30 TRM 4 - 3
**-BA II 1.30 TRM 5 - 3
**-BA II 1.30 TRM 2 - 5
**-BA II 1.30 TRM 3 - 5
**-BA II 1.45 TRM 4 - 5
**-BA II 1.00 TRM 5 - 5
AA-** II GLSUP CDS ** - 2D
AA-** II GLSUP CDS N/A - 2D
AA-** II GLSUP CDS ** - 2Z
AA-** II GLSUP CDS N/A - 2Z
AA-** II GLSUP CDS ** - AR
AA-** II GLSUP CDS N/A - AR
AA-** II GLSUP CDS ** - BC
AA-** II GLSUP CDS N/A - BC
AA-** II GLSUP CDS ** - BT
AA-** II GLSUP CDS N/A - BT
AA-** II GLSUP CDS ** - D8
AA-** II GLSUP CDS N/A - D8
AA-** II GLSUP CDS ** - DY
AA-** II GLSUP CDS N/A - DY
AA-** II GLSUP CDS ** - EK
AA-** II GLSUP CDS N/A - EK
AA-** II GLSUP CDS ** - EW
AA-** II GLSUP CDS N/A - EW
AA-** II GLSUP CDS ** - F9
AA-** II GLSUP CDS N/A - F9
AA-** II GLSUP CDS ** - H2
AA-** II GLSUP CDS N/A - H2
AA-** II GLSUP CDS ** - KC
AA-** II GLSUP CDS N/A - KC
AA-** II GLSUP CDS ** - PC
AA-** II GLSUP CDS N/A - PC
AA-** II GLSUP CDS ** - PD
AA-** II GLSUP CDS N/A - PD
AA-** II GLSUP CDS ** - QS
AA-** II GLSUP CDS N/A - QS
AA-** II GLSUP CDS ** - SY
AA-** II GLSUP CDS N/A - SY
AA-** II GLSUP CDS ** - TR
AA-** II GLSUP CDS N/A - TR
AA-** II GLSUP CDS ** - VA
AA-** II GLSUP CDS N/A - VA
AA-** II GLSUP CDS ** - VB
AA-** II GLSUP CDS N/A - VB
AA-** II GLSUP CDS ** - W6
AA-** II GLSUP CDS N/A - W6
AA-** II GLSUP CDS ** - XP
AA-** II GLSUP CDS N/A - XP
AA-** II GLSUP CDS ** - Y4
AA-** II GLSUP CDS N/A - Y4
**-** II GLSUP CDS AA - 2D
**-** II GLSUP CDS AA - 2Z
**-** II GLSUP CDS 2D - AA
**-** II GLSUP CDS 2Z - AA
**-** II GLSUP CDS AD - AA
**-** II GLSUP CDS AR - AA
**-** II GLSUP CDS BC - AA
**-** II GLSUP CDS BT - AA
**-** II GLSUP CDS D8 - AA
**-** II GLSUP CDS DY - AA
**-** II GLSUP CDS EK - AA
**-** II GLSUP CDS EW - AA
**-** II GLSUP CDS F9 - AA
**-** II GLSUP CDS H2 - AA
**-** II GLSUP CDS HX - AA
**-** II GLSUP CDS KC - AA
**-** II GLSUP CDS MX - AA
**-** II GLSUP CDS NK - AA
**-** II GLSUP CDS PC - AA
**-** II GLSUP CDS PD - AA
**-** II GLSUP CDS QS - AA
**-** II GLSUP CDS RO - AA
**-** II GLSUP CDS SY - AA
**-** II GLSUP CDS TR - AA
**-** II GLSUP CDS TS - AA
**-** II GLSUP CDS UX - AA
**-** II GLSUP CDS VA - AA
**-** II GLSUP CDS VB - AA
**-** II SUP CDS VY - AA
**-** II GLSUP CDS W6 - AA
**-** II GLSUP CDS XP - AA
**-** II GLSUP CDS Y4 - AA
**-** II GLSUP CDS AA - AR
**-** II GLSUP CDS AA - BC
**-** II GLSUP CDS AA - BT
**-** II GLSUP CDS AA - D8
**-** II GLSUP CDS AA - DY
**-** II GLSUP CDS AA - EK
**-** II GLSUP CDS AA - EW
**-** II GLSUP CDS AA - F9
**-** II GLSUP CDS AA - H2
**-** II GLSUP CDS AA - KC
**-** II GLSUP CDS AA - PC
**-** II GLSUP CDS AA - PD
**-** II GLSUP CDS AA - QS
**-** II GLSUP CDS AA - RO
**-** II GLSUP CDS AA - SY
**-** II GLSUP CDS AA - TR
**-** II GLSUP CDS AA - UX
**-** II GLSUP CDS AA - VA
**-** II GLSUP CDS AA - VB
**-** II GLSUP CDS AA - W6
**-** II GLSUP CDS AA - XP
**-** II GLSUP CDS AA - Y4
**-** II 1.00 TRM 2 - 2
**-** II 1.15 TRM 3 - 2
**-** II 1.30 TRM 4 - 2
**-** II 1.30 TRM 5 - 2
**-** II 1.30 TRM TN - 2
**-** II 1.15 TRM 2 - 3
**-** II 1.10 TRM 3 - 3
**-** II 1.30 TRM 4 - 3
**-** II 1.30 TRM 5 - 3
**-** II 1.30 TRM TN - 3
**-** II 1.30 TRM 2 - 4
**-** II 1.30 TRM 3 - 4
**-** II 1.00 TRM 4 - 4
**-** II 1.45 TRM 5 - 4
**-** II 1.30 TRM TN - 4
**-** II 1.30 TRM 2 - 5
**-** II 1.30 TRM 3 - 5
**-** II 1.45 TRM 4 - 5
**-** II 1.00 TRM 5 - 5
**-** II 1.30 TRM TN - 5
**-** II 1.30 TRM 2 - TN
**-** II 1.30 TRM 3 - TN
**-** II 1.30 TRM 4 - TN
**-** II 1.30 TRM 5 - TN

jlk49 Apr 1, 2023 10:21 am

Connecting on Separate Tickets - 4 Hours Too Short?

A few months ago I booked Europe-LHR (BA) and LHR-JFK (AA) on separate tickets, with about 6 hours in between since I know I'll have to collect my bags, travel landside from T5 to T3, and re-check with AA. The flight time of my LHR-JFK flight was adjusted by five minutes in a recent schedule change, which I believe means I am entitled to make a free change to a different flight that day – is a 4 hour connection cutting things too close? I will definitely err on the side of Dan Dan Noodles at CX F if all else is equal, but at the same time it would be nice to get home two hours earlier.

JJeffrey Apr 1, 2023 10:24 am

Originally Posted by jlk49 (Post 35135571)
A few months ago I booked Europe-LHR (BA) and LHR-JFK (AA) on separate tickets, with about 6 hours in between since I know I'll have to collect my bags, travel landside from T5 to T3, and re-check with AA. The flight time of my LHR-JFK flight was adjusted by five minutes in a recent schedule change, which I believe means I am entitled to make a free change to a different flight that day – is a 4 hour connection cutting things too close? I will definitely err on the side of Dan Dan Noodles at CX F if all else is equal, but at the same time it would be nice to get home two hours earlier.

4 hours should still be plenty for that, I wouldn't worry at all.

PHLGovFlyer Apr 1, 2023 12:59 pm

Originally Posted by jlk49 (Post 35135571)

4 Hours is plenty. I just did basically the same thing, and from the time I deplaned from the inbound flight at T5 to being onboard the outbound flight at T3 was 1:38. Plus I still had time for a quick stop at the CX F lounge. While I don't recommend trying to do it in under 2 hours like I did it shows that 4 hours has plenty of margin. See the thread here from posts 2072 to 2102 for the complete story:

https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/brit...l#post35049657

EQDsSUCK Apr 1, 2023 9:09 pm

Originally Posted by JJeffrey (Post 35135262)
AA.com definitely won't show any and all available award flights depending on a bunch of factors, especially true when searching more complex routings as seems to be the case here.

Your best bet is to just put what you have on hold (including the earlier LHR-BUD), then call AA and ask to change the last flight to the later LHR-BUD. I would obviously verify that there's award availability on that later flight first (just search it separately).

That said, a 70 min T3-T3 connection really wouldn't bother me at all. Flying to LHR with close to an on time departure you'll typically arrive 10-20 mins early.

Thanks for the advice.

Originally Posted by IADCAflyer (Post 35135355)
No. Not enough time to enjoy the CX lounge.

Good call!

blueguitar322 Apr 3, 2023 8:25 am

My wife and her mom and I are flying to Edinburgh this summer via Heathrow. My understanding is that once we land in Heathrow (from the US), we'll have to:
1. Go through passport control
2. Collect checked baggage & proceed through customs
(because LHR-->EDI will be a 'domestic' flight)
3. Transfer terminals (T3 to T5 I believe; I'm seeing 20-30 minute travel time)
4. Go through security
5. Arrive at the gate minimum 20 minutes before the next flight leaves.

We booked via reward miles (single ticket, US to Edinburgh) with a 2h20m layover in LHR, choosing that permutation because it was the longest layover available. AA later changed the flights so that we only have a 1h45m layover. Am I wrong to think that 1h45m on a summer morning is rather optimistic by AA? That leaves less than an hour for passport control, baggage/customs, security, plus travel time within terminals.

The _Banking_Scot Apr 3, 2023 8:29 am

Originally Posted by blueguitar322 (Post 35139956)
My wife and her mom and I are flying to Edinburgh this summer via Heathrow. My understanding is that once we land in Heathrow (from the US), we'll have to:
1. Go through passport control
2. Collect checked baggage & proceed through customs
(because LHR-->EDI will be a 'domestic' flight)
3. Transfer terminals (T3 to T5 I believe; I'm seeing 20-30 minute travel time)
4. Go through security
5. Arrive at the gate minimum 20 minutes before the next flight leaves.

We booked via reward miles (single ticket, US to Edinburgh) with a 2h20m layover in LHR, choosing that permutation because it was the longest layover available. AA later changed the flights so that we only have a 1h45m layover. Am I wrong to think that 1h45m on a summer morning is rather optimistic by AA? That leaves less than an hour for passport control, baggage/customs, security, plus travel time within terminals.

Hi

On one tIcket your bags will be checked through to Edinburgh so no need to pick them up at Heathrow.
you will dk immigration at Heathrow

Regards

Tbs

UKtravelbear Apr 3, 2023 8:32 am

As this is a singlre ticket your bagagge will be checked through to EDI and you'll clear customs there. You likely won't even see a customs officer unless you have something to declare

You should use the T3-T5 connections route

The minimum coinenction time for T3-T5 is 90 minutes and thousands of people make such transfers every day of the week week well within that time.

If there is a delay then BA will simply book you on the next flight to EDI with seats on it.

KARFA Apr 3, 2023 8:35 am

Welcome to FT blueguitar322

So on arrival in T3 follow the purple signs for flight connections to T2/4/5. When you follow the signs downstairs you will then get an airside bus to T5. Once in T5 follow the signs up the escalators and to flight connections. There is a separate connections channel in T5 for onward connections to UK flights where you will go through immigration. After immigration you will have a boarding pass check, and then go upstairs to security, and beyond that in to the airside departures area.

If this is one booking then your bags will be checked through and you won't see them until EDI.

You will almost certainly have a gate for your EDI flight in the main T5A building, but there is a small possibility it will be in the T5B satellite - if the latter just follow the signs for B gates and take the transit one stop.

Boarding normally starts around 30 minutes before departure and closes 15-10 minutes to go.

EncFlyer Apr 5, 2023 5:49 pm

I will be flying RDU-LHR in Flagship Business on AA metal with a connection on BA metal in T5 to MXP with a 6 hour layover. Which lounges will I be able to access during my layover at LHR? Thanks in advance for any assistance