FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   American Airlines | AAdvantage (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/american-airlines-aadvantage-733/)
-   -   GUIDE: LHR / London Heathrow, Connection, MCT inc. AA T3 <--> BA/IB T5 (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/american-airlines-aadvantage/1321109-guide-lhr-london-heathrow-connection-mct-inc-aa-t3-ba-ib-t5.html)

KARFA Jan 25, 2024 3:36 pm

as this is an INT-INT connection, on arrival to T4 just follow the purple signs for flight connection to T2/3/5, and get the airside bus to T3. once at T3 go upstairs and thro security. after that you will go to the airside departures area. no immigration needed as you aren't entering the UK.

i am assuming you can check in and get your mobile bp before you get to T3? if not there are some AA service desks to the left just before you go thro connections security in T3, so i am sure they can issue it there.

Abidjan Jan 25, 2024 4:05 pm

Perfect, super helpful. Thanks so much.

TangoOneSeven Feb 2, 2024 11:19 am

Just got an email from BA advising a LHR-EDI flight is re-timed in April back an hour to 1420 (from original 1520). However, we are landing into T3 on AA scheduled for arrival at 1245 - this leaves a connection time of 1:35 which is legal. However, is this actually feasible? On my own I wouldn't care; but travelling with family and checked bags that we need for this trip unfortunately. Because it was re-timed, and not cancelled I'm not sure I can ask for a different flight either?

JJeffrey Feb 3, 2024 1:25 am

Originally Posted by TangoOneSeven (Post 35964451)
Just got an email from BA advising a LHR-EDI flight is re-timed in April back an hour to 1420 (from original 1520). However, we are landing into T3 on AA scheduled for arrival at 1245 - this leaves a connection time of 1:35 which is legal. However, is this actually feasible? On my own I wouldn't care; but travelling with family and checked bags that we need for this trip unfortunately. Because it was re-timed, and not cancelled I'm not sure I can ask for a different flight either?

1:35 is perfectly feasible but doesn't leave much room for error, really just depends on your risk tolerance.

Assuming you booked this through AA, you can always call and ask for different flights, although how flexible they will be depends on whether it's an award ticket or paid ticket (and also on the agent you get).

S80 Feb 3, 2024 2:10 am

​​​​​​​

Originally Posted by JJeffrey (Post 35965985)
1:35 is perfectly feasible but doesn't leave much room for error, really just depends on your risk tolerance.

Assuming you booked this through AA, you can always call and ask for different flights, although how flexible they will be depends on whether it's an award ticket or paid ticket (and also on the agent you get).

It depends on the age of your kids (if by family you mean children) - the queue for UK immigration in the connections channel at T5 can get backed up pretty badly (although I've only been through in the morning peak, probably around 8-10am), as it's pretty well understaffed. If they are eligible for the auto gates, then I'd be okay with it (although, yes, it is tight), if not, I would ask for a rebooking.

Annerk Feb 3, 2024 8:37 am

Lounge Access LHR (Not a "Usual" Question)

I arrive around 9:05 am on AA metal to LHR Terminal 3. My connection to WAW on BA metal leaves out of Terminal 5 around 6:20 PM.

I know I have access to AA and most BA lounges due to status. Can I use the AA Arrivals Lounge in T3? And then the big question, how would I get from T3 to T5? I would normally take the shuttle bus, however I don't think this will be an option as I will have passed through passport control and customs. Or should I just head to T5 and lounge hop there? My concern is that I will not be able to enter a BA lounge that early. I've never had a layover there of more than a few hours, so I've never had this situation.

Feedback appreciated.

Many thanks!

FAA1996 Feb 3, 2024 8:50 am

Originally Posted by Annerk (Post 35966586)
I arrive around 9:05 am on AA metal to LHR Terminal 3. My connection to WAW on BA metal leaves out of Terminal 5 around 6:20 PM.

I know I have access to AA and most BA lounges due to status. Can I use the AA Arrivals Lounge in T3? And then the big question, how would I get from T3 to T5? I would normally take the shuttle bus, however I don't think this will be an option as I will have passed through passport control and customs. Or should I just head to T5 and lounge hop there? My concern is that I will not be able to enter a BA lounge that early. I've never had a layover there of more than a few hours, so I've never had this situation.

Feedback appreciated.

Many thanks!

You should have no problem accessing any of the lounges you've mentioned at any time. If you go to the AA Arrivals lounge you then just take the Heathrow Express from T3 to T5, it's free (jump in the business section). With such a long connection I would try to leave hand luggage in storage at LHR and have lunch in the city.

tjcxx Feb 3, 2024 8:59 am

If you stay airside, and take the shuttle bus to T5, you will be able to access the lounges straight away. No earliest entry or maximum time limit is applied.

It will be a long day at T5, though.

If you go through immigration and customs, you will be able to access the T3 arrivals lounge. There are two train lines between T3 and T5 landside. Firstly the London Underground, the "tube", the Piccadilly line. Nominally a 10-minute frequency service, and you tap in and out with a contactless card, and the charge will be zero. Secondly there is the full-size train, the Heathrow Express / Elizabeth line. This is a shorter walk from T3 (both are by pedestrian tunnel) but has a slightly lower frequency service. You need to get a free ticket from a machine.

With all those hours to kill, here is a, possibly "niche", suggestion to fill the time. Tap into the Piccadilly Line, take a train into London. Change to any other underground line. Explore the far reaches of the Northern line, the Jubilee, etc. Then come back to T5 and tap out. The charge will be - zero.

bse118 Feb 3, 2024 9:37 am

Originally Posted by Annerk (Post 35966586)

I know I have access to AA and most BA lounges due to status. Can I use the AA Arrivals Lounge in T3?

What is your status level with AA (or BA)? If it's just AA Gold as indicated in your profile that won't be enough to give you access to the Arrivals Lounge (or any of the lounges acutally).

To access the arrivals lounge you need to be OneWorld Emerald or arriving in J (or F) on a longhaul flight.

KARFA Feb 3, 2024 10:09 am

I think just to add, as long as this is one ticket even if you miss your EDI flight BA will put you on another one that day. You shouldn't have to wait long for the next flight.

stant Feb 3, 2024 10:14 am

Originally Posted by tjcxx (Post 35966625)

With all those hours to kill, here is a, possibly "niche", suggestion to fill the time. Tap into the Piccadilly Line, take a train into London. Change to any other underground line. Explore the far reaches of the Northern line, the Jubilee, etc. Then come back to T5 and tap out. The charge will be - zero.

niche indeed! while I'm all for free, as another poster suggested, thats plenty of time to go into the city. Why give up a morning at a museum, lunch in soho and shopping at harrods? easily doable and the cost of admittance is only what, 11 quid?

or are you saying there is something special about tapping in at heathrow, whereas so long as you end up back at heathrow there is no charge?

Annerk Feb 3, 2024 10:26 am

Originally Posted by FAA1996 (Post 35966605)
You should have no problem accessing any of the lounges you've mentioned at any time. If you go to the AA Arrivals lounge you then just take the Heathrow Express from T3 to T5, it's free (jump in the business section). With such a long connection I would try to leave hand luggage in storage at LHR and have lunch in the city.

Originally Posted by tjcxx (Post 35966625)
If you stay airside, and take the shuttle bus to T5, you will be able to access the lounges straight away. No earliest entry or maximum time limit is applied.

It will be a long day at T5, though.

If you go through immigration and customs, you will be able to access the T3 arrivals lounge. There are two train lines between T3 and T5 landside. Firstly the London Underground, the "tube", the Piccadilly line. Nominally a 10-minute frequency service, and you tap in and out with a contactless card, and the charge will be zero. Secondly there is the full-size train, the Heathrow Express / Elizabeth line. This is a shorter walk from T3 (both are by pedestrian tunnel) but has a slightly lower frequency service. You need to get a free ticket from a machine.

Thank you for the suggestions. A brief day in London might work. As pedestrian as it sounds, a stop at Gordon Ramsey's Street Burger sounds very good.

Originally Posted by bse118 (Post 35966710)
What is your status level with AA (or BA)? If it's just AA Gold as indicated in your profile that won't be enough to give you access to the Arrivals Lounge (or any of the lounges acutally).

To access the arrivals lounge you need to be OneWorld Emerald or arriving in J (or F) on a longhaul flight.

As stated, I know I have access to the lounges (except CCR) due to status. To satisfy your curiosity, I am AA Platinum Pro which works out to OW Emerald. This is not my first rodeo.

Originally Posted by stant (Post 35966806)
niche indeed! while I'm all for free, as another poster suggested, thats plenty of time to go into the city. Why give up a morning at a museum, lunch in soho and shopping at harrods? easily doable and the cost of admittance is only what, 11 quid?

or are you saying there is something special about tapping in at heathrow, whereas so long as you end up back at heathrow there is no charge?

I know that my husband will want a shower and breakfast before we go anywhere. But that shouldn't take more than an hour or so. I do like that idea as long as the weather is cooperative.

UKtravelbear Feb 3, 2024 10:39 am

The charge will not be zero. See the same station exit section.

https://tfl.gov.uk/fares/how-to-pay-...on-this-page-5

bse118 Feb 3, 2024 10:47 am

Originally Posted by Annerk (Post 35966876)
As stated, I know I have access to the lounges (except CCR) due to status. To satisfy your curiosity, I am AA Platinum Pro which works out to OW Emerald. This is not my first rodeo.

Cool.. But we've had plenty of people 1) state with certainty that they know they have access, and be wrong and 2) assume the arrivals lounge have the same access policy as the other lounges. No need to get snippy.

VFR Feb 3, 2024 10:51 am

Originally Posted by UKtravelbear (Post 35966886)
The charge will not be zero. See the same station exit section.

https://tfl.gov.uk/fares/how-to-pay-...on-this-page-5

It will be zero if you go from Terminal 3 to Terminal 5, assuming that transfer is not time-limited.

Riding the tube can be fun if you like trains. The less scrupulous among us might find a station that only has Oyster "validators" and not fare gates and enter/exit there to see more of London than railway stations.

Kacee Feb 3, 2024 2:03 pm

Just got an email from BA advising a LHR-EDI flight is re-timed in April back an hour to 1420 (from original 1520). However, we are landing into T3 on AA scheduled for arrival at 1245 - this leaves a connection time of 1:35 which is legal. However, is this actually feasible?

Whether 1:35 is doable depends largely on the lines in T5. But I would take comfort in the number of daily flights LHR-EDI - even if you miss, there are numerous same day flights. Note also that if your inbound is delayed, you're at risk of BA canceling your onward connection.

Whether checked bags will make it is an entirely different question.

stifle Feb 4, 2024 6:41 am

Originally Posted by VFR (Post 35966911)
It will be zero if you go from Terminal 3 to Terminal 5, assuming that transfer is not time-limited.

Riding the tube can be fun if you like trains. The less scrupulous among us might find a station that only has Oyster "validators" and not fare gates and enter/exit there to see more of London than railway stations.

The transfer is indeed limited, to 70 minutes. Doing as you suggest will result in two penalty charges for incomplete journeys.

KARFA Feb 4, 2024 6:48 am

Originally Posted by stifle (Post 35968779)
The transfer is indeed limited, to 70 minutes. Doing as you suggest will result in two penalty charges for incomplete journeys.

thanks, i never knew that. i had always wondered if you could get on at one of the LHR tube stations, then explore the tube network for a few hours whilst staying tubeside, then go back and exit on the the LHR tube stations all for free. i guess i better not try it now :)

econ Feb 4, 2024 1:04 pm

Originally Posted by stifle (Post 35968779)
The transfer is indeed limited, to 70 minutes.

Plus a few more minutes on weekends?

https://tfl.gov.uk/fares/how-to-pay-...-journey-times

stifle Feb 4, 2024 1:09 pm

Yes, can go up to 85 on Sundays and public holidays.

enviroian Feb 19, 2024 6:22 pm

Legal MCT?

Arriving on AA at lhr T3 from jfk at 7 am then outward on Ba to WAW at 8:25. Only carry on.

legal and doable?

S80 Feb 19, 2024 6:30 pm

Originally Posted by enviroian (Post 36013554)
Arriving on AA at lhr T3 from jfk at 7 am then outward on Ba to WAW at 8:25. Only carry on.

legal and doable?

New legal MCT at LHR for a T3 to T5 international to international flight is showing as 1:30. So it's not legal, or sensible.

Mwenenzi Feb 19, 2024 6:31 pm

Originally Posted by enviroian (Post 36013554)
Arriving on AA at LHR T3 from jfk at 7 am then outward on BA to WAW at 8:25. Only carry on.
legal and doable?

All 1 ticket or 2 separate tickets?
If 2 tickets MCT does not exist. You just happen to have a flight that lands at an airport and have another flight that happens to depart from the same airport.

enviroian Feb 19, 2024 6:33 pm

Would be same ticket.

thanks for the quick responses.

Mwenenzi Feb 19, 2024 6:39 pm

Originally Posted by enviroian (Post 36013580)
Would be same ticket.
thanks for the quick responses.

So not your problem. If a problem the airline has to fix.
If that is a sensible choice is another matter.

enviroian Feb 19, 2024 6:44 pm

Originally Posted by Mwenenzi (Post 36013588)
So not your problem. If a problem the airline has to fix.
If that is a sensible choice is another matter.

no im building an itinerary for thanksgiving now.

777lover Feb 19, 2024 11:11 pm

Ok that’s a a little different and is a critical piece. Geez. If you are “building” that means u are putting segments together. There is usually a lookup on the booking engine side to check for MTC but it’s not always correct.

What you need to do kanji go to .com or EF and do a XXX (DFW) to WAW and look for the legal connections and see if your proposed “build” is in fact one of the listed connections.

Originally Posted by enviroian (Post 36013599)

S80 Feb 20, 2024 3:38 am

Originally Posted by enviroian (Post 36013599)

The schedule for then is nowhere near finalized now, so expect any flights to change.

JJeffrey Feb 20, 2024 4:49 am

Originally Posted by 777lover (Post 36014004)
What you need to do kanji go to .com or EF and do a XXX (DFW) to WAW and look for the legal connections and see if your proposed “build” is in fact one of the listed connections.

Google Flights is far and away the easiest search/booking engine (IMO) and MCT's are already baked in even when searching multi-city.

enviroian Feb 20, 2024 7:19 am

I’m building segments manually using EF. Two of the legs have C availability for SWU (over the pond). Both aa.com and google flights are unable to replicate the trip I have created (updated with legal MCT). I will call AA to book today.

FYI didn’t realize EF had a MCT function. The reason I couldn’t find it before is because it’s only available on the desktop site not mobile version.

enviroian Feb 20, 2024 9:25 am

Originally Posted by S80 (Post 36014381)
The schedule for then is nowhere near finalized now, so expect any flights to change.

I know that.

GaryZ Feb 20, 2024 9:50 am

Definitely doable, tho. Just make sure you are in Fast Track for re-screening and be fastidious about what's in your bag(s).

enviroian Feb 20, 2024 9:58 am

Originally Posted by GaryZ (Post 36015329)
Definitely doable, tho. Just make sure you are in Fast Track for re-screening and be fastidious about what's in your bag(s).

I'd love to take the chance as I know I could do it but because it's less than published MCT I would be screwed if I miss my flight and probably have a hard time getting re-accommodated on the later afternoon non stop to WAW.

econometrics Feb 20, 2024 11:34 am

Originally Posted by enviroian (Post 36015357)
I'd love to take the chance as I know I could do it but because it's less than published MCT I would be screwed if I miss my flight and probably have a hard time getting re-accommodated on the later afternoon non stop to WAW.

Yeah, I think your risk profile on doing this is orange/red. Everything has to go very much as planned in order to make it work. It's somewhat doable, and I've done a transfer from T5>>T3 and T3>>T5 in a similar crunch before... but it's nerve wracking. One late transfer bus, or a jetty that doesn't get moved in time... eek.

I do think, however, that you would be fine getting onto the afternoon WAW flight. If we're looking at the fall, those seats in CE are usually pretty available.

ft4lyf Mar 6, 2024 8:16 am

Hello All,
We will arrive in to LHR (from LAX) around 5PM (Terminal 3)

Have a departing flight from T2 via Air India (4 hours between the two flights; Separate tickets).

I realize we have to clear passport control; and then baggage will have to be collected in T3 and re-checked in T2.
I also understand that there is a "walkway" from T3 to T2 at LHR.

However, will we be able to get a taxi from T3 to T2 ?
Not sure if the walkway is wide enough to roll through with an airport baggage cart??

Any suggestions / thoughts greatly appreciated.

JJeffrey Mar 6, 2024 8:22 am

Originally Posted by ft4lyf (Post 36057590)
Hello All,
We will arrive in to LHR (from LAX) around 5PM (Terminal 3)

Have a departing flight from T2 via Air India (4 hours between the two flights; Separate tickets).

I realize we have to clear passport control; and then baggage will have to be collected in T3 and re-checked in T2.
I also understand that there is a "walkway" from T3 to T2 at LHR.

However, will we be able to get a taxi from T3 to T2 ?
Not sure if the walkway is wide enough to roll through with an airport baggage cart??

Any suggestions / thoughts greatly appreciated.

The walkway between T3<>T2 is plenty wide to accommodate walking with luggage and luggage carts, no issues there.

ft4lyf Mar 6, 2024 8:25 am

Originally Posted by JJeffrey (Post 36057608)
The walkway between T3<>T2 is plenty wide to accommodate walking with luggage and luggage carts, no issues there.

Ok thank you! great to know.
We will need one of those carts surely!!

Will update here if we stick to this itinerary.

downinit Mar 11, 2024 1:00 pm

I'm trying to find info on the lounges in T3, but I cannot seem to find it. Is there another post comparing the T3 OW lounges? I purchased an upgrade to J on the LAX flight, so I assume that qualifies for the Flagship Lounge. What other options do I have?

JJeffrey Mar 11, 2024 1:07 pm

Originally Posted by downinit (Post 36071585)
I'm trying to find info on the lounges in T3, but I cannot seem to find it. Is there another post comparing the T3 OW lounges? I purchased an upgrade to J on the LAX flight, so I assume that qualifies for the Flagship Lounge. What other options do I have?

Departing in business class you can access any of the oneworld business lounges. There is not a Flagship Lounge at LHR, rather just an Admirals Club (business class) and the AA Int'l First Lounge (first class). At T3 the CX and QF lounges are the best. Below is a lengthy thread from the BA forum with lots of info.

https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/brit...ispreloading=1

downinit Mar 11, 2024 1:17 pm

Originally Posted by JJeffrey (Post 36071597)
Departing in business class you can access any of the oneworld business lounges. There is not a Flagship Lounge at LHR, rather just an Admirals Club (business class) and the AA Int'l First Lounge (first class). At T3 the CX and QF lounges are the best. Below is a lengthy thread from the BA forum with lots of info.

That makes more sense. Looks like CX & QF are the way to go. Searching in the BA and AA sub-forums can be a royal PITA, as they are two of the most popular ones on FT.

Thank you!