FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   American Airlines | AAdvantage (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/american-airlines-aadvantage-733/)
-   -   GUIDE: LHR / London Heathrow, Connection, MCT inc. AA T3 <--> BA/IB T5 (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/american-airlines-aadvantage/1321109-guide-lhr-london-heathrow-connection-mct-inc-aa-t3-ba-ib-t5.html)

corporate-wage-slave Feb 6, 2023 3:20 pm

AA uses Terminal 3, and BA to BCN uses Terminal 5 at the moment, and the two terminals are a few miles apart. 90 minutes is the minimum connection time, which is do-able and would not bother me but it would be tight for many passengers. Three hours would be more comfortable. That said, BCN was in the past operated out of Terminal 3 rather than Terminal 5, so keep an eye on that. If it does move to T3, then 90 minutes is plenty.

JJeffrey Feb 6, 2023 3:27 pm

Originally Posted by Stockjock (Post 34990998)
Looking at an AA flight from SAN to DFW to LHR and then moving over to BA and onward to BCN. They're showing a connection time in LHR of roughly 1.5 hours. That seems tight and possibly best avoided, or no?

They also have a slightly later AA flight from SAN to CLT to LHR and again then moving over to BA to a final destination of BCN. A couple of hours longer overall, but a 3 hour layover in LHR, which seems a lot better. True?

The 3 hour connection in LHR is a bit more safe, but everything else about that alternative is worse.

Longer domestic connecting flight, having to connect in CLT vs. DFW, shorter overnight flight, longer overall journey time. No way.

progapanda Feb 6, 2023 5:07 pm

Thank you KARFA and econ - very helpful information.

Originally Posted by econ (Post 34988481)
Yes, you'd have to re-clear security at T3.

Domestic UK arrivals at T5 do not require re-clearing security to access T5 airside. Onward boarding pass is needed though.

You're not wrong.

Originally Posted by KARFA (Post 34988989)
So yes if you were arriving in to T5 on a domestic flight and connecting on to any other T5 flight you would not have to go through security, it is just a simple bp check and then straight up in to the airside departures area. It would be the same if arriving in to T2 on a domestic flight and connecting on to any other T2 flight.

The problem comes when you are changing to another terminal. Unfortunately there is no separate airside bus for domestic arrivals, so when you get the airside buses you are mixing with all those who have arrived on international flights. So when you get to T3 in your case unfortunately you will have to go through security at the connections centre along with all those who have arrived on international flights.

pmblinn Feb 6, 2023 5:34 pm

Looking at an AA flight from SAN to DFW to LHR and then moving over to BA and onward to BCN. They're showing a connection time in LHR of roughly 1.5 hours. That seems tight and possibly best avoided, or no?

They also have a slightly later AA flight from SAN to CLT to LHR and again then moving over to BA to a final destination of BCN. A couple of hours longer overall, but a 3 hour layover in LHR, which seems a lot better. True?

Not answering your question, but...

BA runs a daily nonstop SAN-LHR. Have you looked at that?

Stockjock Feb 6, 2023 7:15 pm

Originally Posted by pmblinn (Post 34991339)
Not answering your question, but...

BA runs a daily nonstop SAN-LHR. Have you looked at that?

I'd probably be doing frequent flyer points. When I use BA w/AAdvantage miles, the taxes alone for the 2 of us is pushing $800. If I do AA to LHR and then the BA short hop, the taxes are around $44. So it's a money saving thing.

UKtravelbear Feb 6, 2023 9:46 pm

Thousands of people make the T3-T5 transfer (and vice versa) without issue everyday often in half that time,

MCT isn’t an indication of how long the transfer actually takes but about airlines willingness to sell connections and to allow the movement of baggage and people between terminals.

If passengers weren’t making their connections in large numbers then airlines would simply stop selling them and that would reduce the convenience for many people.

Stockjock Feb 6, 2023 11:01 pm

Originally Posted by UKtravelbear (Post 34991858)
Thousands of people make the T3-T5 transfer (and vice versa) without issue everyday often in half that time,

MCT isn’t an indication of how long the transfer actually takes but about airlines willingness to sell connections and to allow the movement of baggage and people between terminals.

If passengers weren’t making their connections in large numbers then airlines would simply stop selling them and that would reduce the convenience for many people.

Understood, but I've had a couple of connections in Heathrow over the last year or so that took an incredibly long time to make. Did Munich with about a 45 minute layover, but Heathrow isn't Munich.

JJeffrey Feb 7, 2023 4:58 am

Originally Posted by Stockjock (Post 34991981)
Understood, but I've had a couple of connections in Heathrow over the last year or so that took an incredibly long time to make. Did Munich with about a 45 minute layover, but Heathrow isn't Munich.

How far off is your flight in question? If it's more than about 3 months out then I wouldn't worry at all as whatever connection you book now will not be what you ultimately end up due to the inevitable schedule changes. Book the DFW option then just keep an eye on it.

Stockjock Feb 7, 2023 4:01 pm

Originally Posted by JJeffrey (Post 34992378)
How far off is your flight in question? If it's more than about 3 months out then I wouldn't worry at all as whatever connection you book now will not be what you ultimately end up due to the inevitable schedule changes. Book the DFW option then just keep an eye on it.

It's not until quite a few months from now, late in the year.

JJeffrey Feb 7, 2023 4:04 pm

Originally Posted by Stockjock (Post 34993947)
It's not until quite a few months from now, late in the year.

Oh, then by all means I would just book the DFW connection and not worry about it. There will be multiple schedule changes between now and then.

libraryuser Mar 4, 2023 12:20 pm

LHR T5-T3 with overnight stay

I hope this is the right forum for this. We will be arriving LHR T5 on BA503 from LIS at 22:25 on a Tuesday night (March 14). We will depart from T3 on AA135 the next day at 13:50. We are planning to spend the night at the Garden Inn Terminal 2-3. Can somebody please tell me what our itinerary at LHR will look like, and if there are options for passport control or transit, which would be best? We're both US citizens and the flights are on the same PNR. Thank you very much in advance.

FlyerBeek Mar 4, 2023 12:43 pm

I've done the exact same overnight transfer in the past with a stay at the HGI. This is the best hotel for a quick overnight given it's close proximity to T2/T3 (as opposed to taking a bus/taxi to one of the hotels located on the Heathrow perimeter). It's pretty straightforward, for Heathrow at least. You'll clear immigration/customs at T5, then you can take the Heathrow Express one stop at no cost to T2/T3. The last Heathrow Express should depart T5 just before midnight, so you should have time. Follow the signs to the HGI once you get to the T2/T3 train station. Complete Heathrow inter-terminal transfer details posted here: https://www.heathrow.com/at-the-airp...ween-terminals

-FlyerBeek

pauleeepaul Mar 4, 2023 12:54 pm

Will you have checked luggage and want to (and be able to) check it through? If not will claim your luggage and clear UK customs and immigration in T5, take the Heathrow Express one stop to T2/3, and find your way to the HGI. I would estimate the transit time at 30-45 minutes. In the morning it is a 15-20 minute walk from the HGI to the T3 gates. In terms of checking bags through I would do it if you can.

However I just noticed your arrival time. The last HEX is 11:27 pm. Honestly I am not sure what you would do after that- maybe an Uber?

FlyerBeek Mar 4, 2023 1:40 pm

Originally Posted by pauleeepaul (Post 35061027)
However I just noticed your arrival time. The last HEX is 11:27 pm. Honestly I am not sure what you would do after that- maybe an Uber?

The HEX timetable I see for March 14th shows the last T5 departure to be at 11:57pm (https://www.heathrowexpress.com/en-G...le/timetable#/). Shouldn't be an issue either with our without checked luggage at that time of day, provided the OP's flight isn't terribly delayed.

-FlyerBeek

corporate-wage-slave Mar 4, 2023 1:44 pm

In essence from T5 to HGI T2 means the passport e-gates, collecting luggage if it isn't through checked (which on one reservation through checking would be the default), out to landside, then bear rightwards following the clear signage to the Tube / Piccadilly Line. You need a contactless bank or credit card to operate the gates to the Tube, but you won't be charged for the trip.

Originally Posted by pauleeepaul (Post 35061027)

The Tube (Underground) is much better for this transfer to the hotel since the tube station is physically next to T2 and thus the HGI, whereas HEX is next to T3. Depending on the day of the week, the final tube from T5 to T2-T3 is 00:18 so that should cover even a delayed arrival. Thereafter there are night buses. For directions and photos on how to get to HGI, there are full details in the Hilton Forum, and the dedicated thread for the hotel, but suffice to say that it's possible to get from the tube platform to the hotel reception in less than 5 minutes walk.

lkar Mar 6, 2023 1:52 pm

Sorry if this is not the right thread. I'm wondering if anyone can give me advice about T3-T2 on split tickets. Arriving AA from USA. Separate ticket out on SK. (Originally booked to go to London but now need to go to Oslo so I bought a cheap onward ticket.) No checked bag, 3:15 to make the connection. It looks pretty straightforward on the LHR map -- arrive, clear passport control and customs, and enter arrivals hall. Follow underground walkway to T2. Other than trying to check in online in advance for my SAS flight, anything tricky or particular to know?

If my AA flight arrives on time and everything goes perfectly, I would probably use the AA arrivals lounge at T3 for a quick shower. Any thoughts on when I should be out of the lounge in order to make my SK flight? I was sort of thinking at least 1:30, but can skip the lounge.

If my AA flight is late, it's not going to be a big deal. I'd just go into London and do something fun and stay overnight and call the hotel in Oslo to try to get them to hold it for morning arrival. My SAS flight is super cheap so I'm happy to let it go if needed and it looks as though award flights are fairly easy to find the day before -- I'm travelling light and alone and I've got several days in OSL so I'm ok playing it by ear. I'd like to make the booked flight, though, so any tips to increase the chances are appreciated.

JJeffrey Mar 6, 2023 1:57 pm

Originally Posted by lkar (Post 35066266)
Sorry if this is not the right thread. I'm wondering if anyone can give me advice about T3-T2 on split tickets. Arriving AA from USA. Separate ticket out on SK. (Originally booked to go to London but now need to go to Oslo so I bought a cheap onward ticket.) No checked bag, 3:15 to make the connection. It looks pretty straightforward on the LHR map -- arrive, clear passport control and customs, and enter arrivals hall. Follow underground walkway to T2. Other than trying to check in online in advance for my SAS flight, anything tricky or particular to know?

If my AA flight arrives on time and everything goes perfectly, I would probably use the AA arrivals lounge at T3 for a quick shower. Any thoughts on when I should be out of the lounge in order to make my SK flight? I was sort of thinking at least 1:30, but can skip the lounge.

If my AA flight is late, it's not going to be a big deal. I'd just go into London and do something fun and stay overnight and call the hotel in Oslo to try to get them to hold it for morning arrival. My SAS flight is super cheap so I'm happy to let it go if needed and it looks as though award flights are fairly easy to find the day before -- I'm travelling light and alone and I've got several days in OSL so I'm ok playing it by ear. I'd like to make the booked flight, though, so any tips to increase the chances are appreciated.

I've done separate tickets T3 to T2 like this a lot. 3:15 is plenty of time, nothing to worry about.

But unless you just want to use the AA Arrivals Lounge there's no reason to clear immigration etc. and walk, just go straight to flight connections and take the bus to T2, clear transit security, and you're there.

lkar Mar 6, 2023 2:20 pm

Originally Posted by JJeffrey (Post 35066287)
I've done separate tickets T3 to T2 like this a lot. 3:15 is plenty of time, nothing to worry about.

But unless you just want to use the AA Arrivals Lounge there's no reason to clear immigration etc. and walk, just go straight to flight connections and take the bus to T2, clear transit security, and you're there.

Oh, I can use flight connections even if on separate tickets? That's fantastic. Other than a boarding pass, will I need anything?

KARFA Mar 6, 2023 2:24 pm

Originally Posted by lkar (Post 35066351)
Oh, I can use flight connections even if on separate tickets? That's fantastic. Other than a boarding pass, will I need anything?

Nope.

JJeffrey Mar 6, 2023 2:26 pm

For sure, you don't need anything. The T3>T2 connection usually takes less time than the usual T3>T5.

Just check in online with SAS, but even in the event you can't get your BP for whatever the reason there should be *A desks at T2 once you arrive off the bus.

PHLGovFlyer Mar 6, 2023 3:50 pm

That is correct so long as you are not checking a bag. If you check a bag on separate tickets you'll have to go through Immigration, pick up the bag, go through customs, and transit to T2 landside.

gutenmorgan Mar 9, 2023 1:47 pm

Rebooking tight connections w/toddler before officially triggering MCT

My wife and toddler and I have a 1:40 connection for a LAX-LHR (AA, T3) and then LHR-DUB (BA, T5) flight in July. Assuming I somehow don't get the 90 minute MCT tripped due to schedule vagaries, has anyone ever called AA and asked to be rebooked to an easier (in this case domestic) connection on the grounds that with a toddler, we are sure to be struggling with the LHR 100 minute connection even if all goes well? Unsurprisingly, the one that sees us connecting in DFW vs LHR is a more expensive option for a shorter total flight time, which is likely why it didn't even come up in my earlier search. Does the answer change if and when the MCT *is* inevitably tripped? I've had AA automatically rebook me on flights they were VERY generous about calling comparable in the past, but I've never had to do it via a human.

JJeffrey Mar 9, 2023 1:56 pm

Originally Posted by gutenmorgan (Post 35074742)
My wife and toddler and I have a 1:40 connection for a LAX-LHR (AA, T3) and then LHR-DUB (BA, T5) flight in July. Assuming I somehow don't get the 90 minute MCT tripped due to schedule vagaries, has anyone ever called AA and asked to be rebooked to an easier (in this case domestic) connection on the grounds that with a toddler, we are sure to be struggling with the LHR 100 minute connection even if all goes well? Unsurprisingly, the one that sees us connecting in DFW vs LHR is a more expensive option for a shorter total flight time, which is likely why it didn't even come up in my earlier search. Does the answer change if and when the MCT *is* inevitably tripped? I've had AA automatically rebook me on flights they were VERY generous about calling comparable in the past, but I've never had to do it via a human.

If there is a schedule change between now and then that drops your connection below the MCT (1:30) then you should be automatically rebooked at some point, however you can also call AA and ask to be moved to any reasonable routing from LAX-DUB rather than waiting for the computer to auto rebook you.

If there is not a schedule change then I don't think you'll have any luck calling and trying to switch. Well you can switch to whatever you want but you'll have to pay the fare difference.

I really wouldn't be worried about a 1:40 connection even with a toddler.

gutenmorgan Mar 9, 2023 1:58 pm

Thanks. Gate-checked travel strollers have been my downfall in the past ("oh huh looks like we just need 30 minutes to figure out where we put those!")

Originally Posted by JJeffrey (Post 35074767)
If there is a schedule change between now and then that drops your connection below the MCT (1:30) then you should be automatically rebooked at some point, however you can also call AA and ask to be moved to any reasonable routing from LAX-DUB rather than waiting for the computer to auto rebook you.

If there is not a schedule change then I don't think you'll have any luck calling and trying to switch. Well you can switch to whatever you want but you'll have to pay the fare difference.

I really wouldn't be worried about a 1:40 connection even with a toddler.

carlosdca Mar 9, 2023 2:22 pm

Originally Posted by gutenmorgan (Post 35074742)
has anyone ever called AA and asked to be rebooked to an easier (in this case domestic) connection on the grounds that with a toddler

No.
You had a ticket for the toddler from the very beginning. Nothing new or unexpected here for AA to consider an exception.
Hope for a schedule change.

gutenmorgan Mar 9, 2023 2:39 pm

A bit brusque, perhaps, but thanks for the reply. Will let you know if I end up calling anyway and they bend any rules.

KARFA Mar 9, 2023 2:52 pm

If you miss it you would be put on the next flight anyway so I am not sure why you feel you need to do a voluntary change?

gutenmorgan Mar 9, 2023 3:41 pm

In the event of an unscheduled delay, the next flight rebook wouldn't be tragic, but would have us stuck in Heathrow for a few tedious extra hours, would retain the "backtracking" that isn't ideal in the original flight (overshooting DUB to connect at LHR vs DFW I think being vaguely on route) plus the more logistically annoying connection with strollers etc. vs navigating a domestic connection then going straight to DUB, and (boring toddler stuff that still positively impacts my fellow travelers) the flight combo I'd try to snag has a marginally better naptime-alignment. Not that my motivations really matter from a rules perspective, just wondering if they ever consider 10 minutes above MCT to be something they can fudge if I wanted a rebooking before they were strictly obligated to provide me with one.

JJeffrey Mar 9, 2023 7:41 pm

Originally Posted by gutenmorgan (Post 35075019)
In the event of an unscheduled delay, the next flight rebook wouldn't be tragic, but would have us stuck in Heathrow for a few tedious extra hours, would retain the "backtracking" that isn't ideal in the original flight (overshooting DUB to connect at LHR vs DFW I think being vaguely on route) plus the more logistically annoying connection with strollers etc. vs navigating a domestic connection then going straight to DUB, and (boring toddler stuff that still positively impacts my fellow travelers) the flight combo I'd try to snag has a marginally better naptime-alignment. Not that my motivations really matter from a rules perspective, just wondering if they ever consider 10 minutes above MCT to be something they can fudge if I wanted a rebooking before they were strictly obligated to provide me with one.

MCT is MCT, whether you're over by 10 mins or 100 mins doesn't really matter, your connection is legal and not something AA is just going to change for no charge out of the goodness of their heart.

Also I think you're over thinking the whole "backtracking" thing, LAX-LHR-DUB is 5,735 flight miles while LAX-DFW-DUB is 5,706 mi. Cutting that 29 mi off your trip is a savings of 0.005% in the grand scheme here.

That said, I completely understand your reasoning for wanting to go via DFW, it will be easier with only one security check vs. two, etc.

Did you originally book a longer connection by chance but a schedule change reduced that to the 1:40 you have now? If that is the case then you do have some ground to call AA and ask for something different.

KARFA Mar 9, 2023 9:02 pm

Originally Posted by gutenmorgan (Post 35075019)

sorry, I am confused. Being put on the next DUB in the case of a missconnect would mean being at LHR for a few more tedious hours, but you want to call and change to be presumably put on a later DUB flight? I mean not that they would agree but frankly that would be the only vaguely possible change they would do. If your plan is to completely reroute so change to a DFW-DUB flight, that’s definitely not happening.

gutenmorgan Mar 9, 2023 9:48 pm

Yeah, this would be purely for my advantage and actually a slightly earlier departure/arrival, so as noted I see no reason they would make the change other than that I have memories of the call center people (do people still call them AAngels on here sometimes?) occasionally going above and beyond just to be accommodating (as often as they were totally unwilling to do things they were required to do the other 75% of the time). Ironically I also just checked and the connection time in LHR seems to have jumped up over 2 hours, so my “what’s 10 minutes between friends” approach is even less valid than I presented here earlier.

will revisit if it drops below 90 minutes at some point later this summer or if it gets back down to something negligible like 95.

mendacio Mar 10, 2023 9:09 am

T3-T5 connection to use lounges?

Hi All,

Just trying to plan a trip with the parents and figured it'd be nice to lounge hop with OWE.

was going to fly US-LHR-CPH...looks like LHR-CPH is T5, and US-LHR is obviously T3.

I can see us connecting from T5 to T3 on the return to use the CX/QF lounges in T3, but wasn't sure for the OWEs who have flown US-LHR-Europe if the T3 lounges are accessible prior to moving over to T5 for the onward flight into europe? (Basically fly SEA-LHR, arrive in T3, lounge out for a few hours in T3, then go to T5 for our connection to CPH-is this possible?)

corporate-wage-slave Mar 10, 2023 9:13 am

That's a very frequent question. It's not impossible, but for starters you will go through security twice, and secondly at the first security check there have been cases of people being directed to go to T5, and not to enter T3. There's an element of YMMV but essentially for a smooth passage you need to use the lounge associated with your next departing flight, in this case T5. There are 3 BA lounges, and 2 independent lounges in T5 assuming you are in business class, and another 2 if in First.

JJeffrey Mar 10, 2023 9:55 am

Originally Posted by mendacio (Post 35076831)
Hi All,

Just trying to plan a trip with the parents and figured it'd be nice to lounge hop with OWE.

was going to fly US-LHR-CPH...looks like LHR-CPH is T5, and US-LHR is obviously T3.

I can see us connecting from T5 to T3 on the return to use the CX/QF lounges in T3, but wasn't sure for the OWEs who have flown US-LHR-Europe if the T3 lounges are accessible prior to moving over to T5 for the onward flight into europe? (Basically fly SEA-LHR, arrive in T3, lounge out for a few hours in T3, then go to T5 for our connection to CPH-is this possible?)

As c-w-s noted it is technically possible although it's a PITA.

I would only attempt this if you have 4+ hours at LHR, and I would never intentionally schedule such a long connection just to lounge hop in T3 when your connecting flight is from T5.

Also not sure how old your parents are or how much they travel, etc., but the last thing my parents would want to do being groggy and jetlagged coming off a redeye flight is dilly-dally in the airport (even in a nice lounge) for longer than necessary. Just book a normal connection, use the BA lounges at T5 to freshen up, then be on your way to CPH.

carlosdca Mar 10, 2023 10:03 am

Hi All,

It is not that simple. LHR is not set up like a US airport.
When you arrive at LHR, you don't exit the plane to the gates area like in the US (if domestic). Instead, upon arrival at LHR you exit the plane to a connections/transit area, which is not accessible from the gates area (that I know of).
Arriving at T3, you can go to connections and then through security to T3 and be out at the gates area of T3 and then go to the lounge there. But since there is no "official" way (no signs, not a standard procedure) to go from the T3 gates/lounge area down to the connections/transit area to take the bus to T5. Once in the T3 gates area I don't even know how I would exit landside, if you wanted to enter the UK/passport control and take the underground to T5

Someone here may know how to get back from T3 gates to T3 connections area to take the bus to T5 without clearing security, I don't.

corporate-wage-slave Mar 10, 2023 10:09 am

Originally Posted by carlosdca (Post 35076962)
Someone here may know how to get back from T3 gates to T3 connections area to take the bus without clearing security, I don't.

If you go to the AA lounge entrance area, you will see the signs for Flight Connections. It's a bit of an odd set up but you can get to the T3 to T5 shuttle bus. Once in T5 you then have to go through security a second time, the first time after the flight and before entering into T3.

Jonesdds Mar 19, 2023 6:50 pm

T5 to T3 connection times

Read the wiki but just so I’m sure….

Flying an American ticket from Geneva or possibly ZRH. I’ve not yet checked flights but assume my flight is doable. One of those locations to LHR to LAX. My flight to LAX is 5 pm so assume I’ll be able to book an early enough flight from those locations. Also assume terminal 5 arrival on BA.

Never done this in this direction.
Assume checked bags will transferred to my AA flight directly from terminal 5 to 3?
And then we would take a bus, airside, but still go through a standard security check at terminal 3?
If we wanted to exit terminal 5 and take transportation there to terminal 3 would that be an issue? Wondering about checked bags since we’d exit without them….maybe an overnight would be needed to make the route work, would we be required to grab bags then?

Fanjet Mar 19, 2023 9:33 pm

Hi All,

Are more than one of you OWE? Because you can only guest in one other person into an F lounge. But if all of you will have access to a J lounge, on the other hand, I'm not sure any of those in T3 merrit the hassle involved. Because passengers coming off a flight into T3 are not shuffled into the terminal's departure area.

KARFA Mar 20, 2023 12:37 am

Originally Posted by Jonesdds (Post 35100862)
Read the wiki but just so I’m sure….

Flying an American ticket from Geneva or possibly ZRH. I’ve not yet checked flights but assume my flight is doable. One of those locations to LHR to LAX. My flight to LAX is 5 pm so assume I’ll be able to book an early enough flight from those locations. Also assume terminal 5 arrival on BA.

Never done this in this direction.
Assume checked bags will transferred to my AA flight directly from terminal 5 to 3?
And then we would take a bus, airside, but still go through a standard security check at terminal 3?
If we wanted to exit terminal 5 and take transportation there to terminal 3 would that be an issue? Wondering about checked bags since we’d exit without them….maybe an overnight would be needed to make the route work, would we be required to grab bags then?

If your ZRH-LHR-US is all one booking then your bags will be checked through. On arrival in to T5 you can follow the purple signs for flight connections, and get the airside bus to T3. At T3 you will go through security at the connection centre. You can if you want exit T5 through immigration and take the tube/HEX/crossrail to T3 if you want, it won't affect anything.

If this is two separate bookings then your bags won't be checked through. You would have to go through immigration at T5, collect your bags, take tube/HEX/crossrail to T3, and check the bags in there. As it would be two separate bookings you will have to ensure you leave enough time as you won't be rebooked if you are late. I would do 4 hours minimum to give time to do the connection and have some padding in case of delays.

VegasGambler Mar 20, 2023 12:51 am

Originally Posted by KARFA (Post 35101440)
As it would be two separate bookings you will have to ensure you leave enough time as you won't be rebooked if you are late. I would do 4 hours minimum to give time to do the connection and have some padding in case of delays.

Leaving plenty of time for self-connections is good advice but I thought it was OW policy to protect on OW-to-OW self-connections? Does BA (or I guess AA in this case) not follow this policy? (I'm also well-aware that you have no recourse if an airline breaks alliance policy)