FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   American Airlines | AAdvantage (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/american-airlines-aadvantage-733/)
-   -   GUIDE: LHR / London Heathrow, Connection, MCT inc. AA T3 <--> BA/IB T5 (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/american-airlines-aadvantage/1321109-guide-lhr-london-heathrow-connection-mct-inc-aa-t3-ba-ib-t5.html)

JDiver Jul 9, 2019 3:25 pm

Originally Posted by Campion76 (Post 31286338)
Apologies, I'm trying not to replicate a previous-answered question here, but I'm hoping you can help me out. I'm flying this weekend on a non-connecting flight from EWR-LHR on Virgin Atlantic (arriving T3, I assume), then transferring to a BA flight from T5 seven hours later.

I can either check or not check my luggage. Checking would be nice because it's a long trip and I'm not sure I can fit all my liquids into one quart-sized container (special contact lens solution). However, after reading through the instructions, it looks like it might just be easier to suck it up and carry on my suitcase at EWR, thus preventing the hassle of going all the way landside, going through security again, etc.

I would swear that a couple years ago, doing almost the same thing, when I got to T5 I was able to give my hand luggage (including a carry-on suitcase) to a BA rep somewhere in the middle of T5 and just leave it there for a few hours. I am sure I didn't pay for this service. However, I can't find anything on Heathrow's or BA's sites about this. Since I didn't pay, I don't think it was the left luggage service.

Can anyone tell me what this was and if it's still there? If not, do I have any options other than lugging a suitcase around T5 with me for seven hours (I don't have lounge access).

Welcome to FlyerTalk.

If you’re traveling on separate ticketing, you’ll have to go through immigration, retrieve your baggage, go through customs and proceed to the rail terminal. Take the train to T-5, check your baggage in and go airside.

New members’ first posts go to a moderation queue as part of our spam prevention program; it can take a little time to review and release. No need to apologize; we have deleted that post. /Moderator

Campion76 Jul 9, 2019 3:39 pm

Thanks! Perhaps my question wasn't clear. I understand how to get between terminals, I'm trying to figure out what to do with my bag in T5. I could check it, but since I have no status I think I have wait until 3 hrs before boarding. Or I could carry it on. In that case, I have a vague recollection of an area airside in T5 where BA would hold my suitcase. That's what I can't find any info about.

QueenOfCoach Jul 9, 2019 3:46 pm

Originally Posted by Campion76 (Post 31286338)
Checking would be nice because it's a long trip and I'm not sure I can fit all my liquids into one quart-sized container (special contact lens solution).

I also wear contact lenses. I wear Boston gas perm hard lenses. I always stop by a Boots the Chemist shop in LHR T5 because they sell a special travel pack of the solution I need. The travel pack is two small bottles of solution, instead of the one large bottle I get here in the States.

I can use the small travel pack bottles for onward travel, as they are under 3 oz.

You might want to look at a Boots website to see if your desired brand of contact lens solution is available. You can also just call them and ask.

I offer this info in the event you decide to go all carry-on.

wrp96 Jul 9, 2019 3:46 pm

Originally Posted by Campion76 (Post 31286666)
Thanks! Perhaps my question wasn't clear. I understand how to get between terminals, I'm trying to figure out what to do with my bag in T5. I could check it, but since I have no status I think I have wait until 3 hrs before boarding. Or I could carry it on. In that case, I have a vague recollection of an area airside in T5 where BA would hold my suitcase. That's what I can't find any info about.

That may be a better question for the BA board. But I've never seen mention of anywhere to store luggage airside T5.

carlosdca Jul 9, 2019 4:01 pm

A couple of things:

1) Going landside to check your bag is not that big of deal, specially since you have a 7 hour layover.
You have to go through security anyway, even if you stay airside.
There is an extra step - immigraiton - that used to be a pain for non-european travelers (long lines).
But good news is that US citizens are now eligible for e-gates. I haven't tried them myself but I assume they save a lot of time.

2) There are a couple of lounges for pay at terminal 5, Premium Plaza and Aspire.
I have been to one of them (can't recall which one) and it was not bad for a few hours. For sure it is not comparable to a First Class lounge, but it was decent and better than being stuck outside. I assume they have a place to store your carry on.
Access is for up to 3 hours I think, so you will have to make sure you tell them how much you intend to stay. It might a little bit more expensive than advertised because of that.

KARFA Jul 9, 2019 5:06 pm

use the self check in desks in t5, you can check a bag from 0500 on the day of travel regardless of cabin or status.

Campion76 Jul 9, 2019 5:26 pm

Originally Posted by KARFA (Post 31286911)

use the self check in desks in t5, you can check a bag from 0500 on the day of travel regardless of cabin or status.

Thanks! And this is landside? As in I would check my bag, pick it up, etc., then take transpo to T5?

KARFA Jul 9, 2019 5:31 pm

Originally Posted by Campion76 (Post 31286959)
Thanks! And this is landside? As in I would check my bag, pick it up, etc., then take transpo to T5?

yes. You would go through immigration at T3, collect your bag, go across to T5 (use HEX or tube) and go up to check in on the top floor to check your bag.

Jonesdds Jul 14, 2019 9:49 pm

Connection question in LHR

Flying AA metal getting in at 12:05 in LHR. Had to book connection separately, flying on to Lyon. BA flights either 1:55 pm or 6:55 pm. 1:55 to little time? Hate to add 5 hrs connection time. I’ve only connected from another destination in Europe through LHR.

Are all AA flights going to be arriving in terminal 5? And do all flights to European destinations fly out of terminal 5? I know there are some flights in and out of terminal 3 but maybe just a few long haul flights.

we will have checked bags, I assume we will be able to check through to Lyon, or not? If so, will we have to retrieve then recheck after immigration, etc.? Seems if no and we are able to check through to Lyon then 1:55 becomes much more realistic, correct?

Mwenenzi Jul 14, 2019 9:55 pm

Originally Posted by Jonesdds (Post 31304045)
Flying AA metal getting in at 12:05 in LHR. Had to book connection separately, flying on to Lyon. BA flights either 1:55 pm or 6:55 pm. 1:55 to little time? Hate to add 5 hrs connection time. I’ve only connected from another destination in Europe through LHR.

Are all AA flights going to be arriving in terminal 5? And do all flights to European destinations fly out of terminal 5? I know there are some flights in and out of terminal 3 but maybe just a few long haul flights.

we will have checked bags, I assume we will be able to check through to Lyon, or not? If so, will we have to retrieve then recheck after immigration, etc.? Seems if no and we are able to check through to Lyon then 1:55 becomes much more realistic, correct?

IMHO 1:55 is far short a time with separate tickets. A small delay and you are toast
Passport from where?
AA will not through check luggage on separate tickets. That is your big problem
Did you consider the Eurostar train & French train?

BA forum thread ---> https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/brit...ng-lhr-t5.html Click to open the wiki. Better on a laptop compared to a phone

OW thread https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/onew...d-threads.html

AA thread https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/amer...2016-a-22.html

Edit
AA thread--->https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/amer...-ba-ib-t5.html

freeagent Jul 14, 2019 9:56 pm

I'd choose the flight that leaves at 6:55pm. AA uses terminal 3 not terminal 5. Given that you'll have two reservations its cutting it extremely close. You will have to recheck bags as you will have two separate tickets and they will not tag your bag all the way to Lyon.

bse118 Jul 14, 2019 10:05 pm

1) All AA flights are at T3.

2) Currently BA's Lyon flights are also at T3.

3) you can check which terminal at LHR at: https://www.heathrow.com/airport-guide/which-terminal

4) the 1:55 BA flight would leave too short a time between flights (note, seperate tickets are not a connection) with checked bags.

5) AA will not through check bags on seperate tickets. You will have to clear immigration, claim your bags, and check in with BA.

mvoight Jul 14, 2019 10:27 pm

Originally Posted by Mwenenzi (Post 31304059)
IMHO 1:55 is far short a time with separate tickets. A small delay and you are toast
Passport from where?
AA will not through check luggage on separate tickets. That is your big problem
Did you consider the Eurostar train & French train?

There are days when Eurostar stops in Lyon.... Of course, it is a bit easier to fly there.
That said, I wouldn't book this short AA-BA with checked bags

gateH15 Jul 14, 2019 11:33 pm

Originally Posted by mvoight (Post 31304125)
There are days when Eurostar stops in Lyon.... Of course, it is a bit easier to fly there.

even tho MCT will be met and he could technically be protected it’s too short of a connection to clear immigration, get the bags and recheck it.

hbtr Jul 15, 2019 12:43 am

As others have posted, AA will arrive in T3, not T5. Over the years about 70% of my AA flights int LHR have experienced some sort of delay, often due in part to some sort of flow control where you are stacked up somewhere near London for 15-30 minutes. So the 1:55 could be risky.

no1cub17 Jul 15, 2019 1:28 am

Originally Posted by gateH15 (Post 31304222)

even tho MCT will be met and he could technically be protected it’s too short of a connection to clear immigration, get the bags and recheck it.

MCT doesn't matter because this isn't a connection, these are separate tickets.

UKtravelbear Jul 15, 2019 5:44 am

You have 1.50 not 1.55 - your maths is off and 5 minutes matter.

And you have less than that as you must have completed the BA check-in process / bags dropped off by T-45 not just be in a queue.

So you have 1.05 to deplane, clear passport control (quick these days due to the e-gates), collect bags and then get to the BA check-in desks. All assuming you arrive on time. If you arrive late you have even less time.

I wouldn't be comfortable with that.

And if you miss the 1.55PM BA flight they won't automatically just rebook you onto the next one.

Not sure what the AA policy is in these cases with separate tickets - read variable reports that they will and they won't/

teemuflyer Jul 15, 2019 6:51 am

As others have mentioned, 1:55 is too short of a time to be at all comfortable on making the BA flight to Lyon. That being said, the nice thing about having your second flight leave from T3 is the abundance of lounges to try out (AA/BA/CX/QF) and they are all very close to each other. As an EXP you can even try the F lounges/sections where available.

With the later departure, you can leisurely check them all out, take a shower,,relax, and have lunch and/or nibble on the various offerings the lounges provide. Of course this means you will have the opportunity to try out quite the selection of champagnes ;), or other beverages. This scenario is much preferable to trying to rush in a panic to catch the earlier flight, if even possible.

gateH15 Jul 15, 2019 7:31 am

Originally Posted by no1cub17 (Post 31304400)
MCT doesn't matter because this isn't a connection, these are separate tickets.

MCT does matter when you are on separate ticket. AA only protects separate tickets to/from oneworld if MCT was met.

Unterwegs Jul 15, 2019 8:26 am

LHR is one of the worst airports in Europe for connections or the non-connection you have. I would try to route thru a different airport. And having two different tickets is risky (delays) and inconvenient (no check thru). Did you try to look for different routings?

JDiver Jul 15, 2019 8:43 am

We have merged your query into the existing thread. This helps prevent information fragmentation, and allows access to the Wikipost at the top of the page. You’ll see a link there to other resources. Please do search prior to starting new threads.

Advanced Search: Search threads only, results as threads, key search term “lhr” (very common terms or those of three or fewer terms must be enclosed in quotation marks, Search is case-ignorant).

In your case, as others have said, 1:50 between flights would be quite risky. You’ll arrive T-3, have to arrive in the U.K., collect your bags and recheck at T-3.

JJeffrey Jul 15, 2019 9:26 am

Originally Posted by Unterwegs (Post 31305294)
LHR is one of the worst airports in Europe for connections or the non-connection you have. I would try to route thru a different airport. And having two different tickets is risky (delays) and inconvenient (no check thru). Did you try to look for different routings?

OP is already booked on AA to LHR.

As mentioned above the 1:50 connection is too short given the checked luggage. So that leaves the 5 hr. connection, which will be plenty of time.

While I agree it's a moderate PITA to have to clear immigration, re-check bags, etc., this is a T3-T3 connection, so far from the end of the world, and nowhere near bad enough that I would spend hundreds (if not thousands) in potential change fees & fare differences to avoid.

Really not a big deal at all...land, get the immigration/baggage/re-check formalities out of the way, take a shower and have lunch in the CX lounge, and you'll be boarding to LYS before you know it.

Blumie Jul 15, 2019 9:37 am

Originally Posted by hbtr (Post 31304330)
Over the years about 70% of my AA flights int LHR have experienced some sort of delay, often due in part to some sort of flow control where you are stacked up somewhere near London for 15-30 minutes.

Once upon a time I would have agreed with this statement, but in recent years my on-time arrivals into (and departures from) LHR have far outnumbered my delays. Perhaps it's because the airlines now pad the schedules, or perhaps operations at LHR have improved, but I now find I can expect my LHR flights to operate on time. (Not that this changes the advice to the OP. 1:50 still is too short with checked bags that have to be claimed and rechecked.)

carlosdca Jul 15, 2019 11:08 am

I have done the separate ticket connection in London with checked bags. You can't check bags through.
I had a similar ~2hr connection time.
On the way back to the US, I did not make it to my flight to LAX. By the time I cleared immigration and collected my bag, I was not allowed to check-in. As it was the last flight of the day to the US, they re-booked me on the first flight next day. Nice that they were able to re-book but arriving one day later was not fun.

So, yes, go for the longer connection. You will appreciate not having to rush and being able to take your time for every step of the transfer.

Originally Posted by Unterwegs (Post 31305294)
LHR is one of the worst airports in Europe for connections

Saying the above is like saying "quit OW" as US-Europe trips via LHR are the most abundant and flexible and are hard to avoid if sticking to OW. (yeah yeah, there is IB and Finnair but they don't offer as much flexibility as connecting through LHR).

thunderlounge Jul 15, 2019 11:59 am

Just another chirp to take the longer connection. Better safe than sorry with such things.

If in J, enjoy the arrivals lounge once bags are checked back in with BA. Have a shower, a bite to eat, and just relax. An extra couple of hours isn’t going to be the end of the world, and it’s much better not having to stress over making another flight on a tight schedule.

Have a nice trip.

teemuflyer Jul 15, 2019 12:10 pm

Originally Posted by thunderlounge (Post 31306062)
Just another chirp to take the longer connection. Better safe than sorry with such things.

If in J, enjoy the arrivals lounge once bags are checked back in with BA. Have a shower, a bite to eat, and just relax. An extra couple of hours isn’t going to be the end of the world, and it’s much better not having to stress over making another flight on a tight schedule.

Have a nice trip.

Although I appreciate the Arrivals Lounge as much as anyone heading into London and want to take a shower and the like beforehand, the F&B offerings are much more extensive at the T3 OW Lounges and decent showers are available in most of them.

anabolism Jul 15, 2019 12:42 pm

Originally Posted by KARFA (Post 31286972)
yes. You would go through immigration at T3, collect your bag, go across to T5 (use HEX or tube) and go up to check in on the top floor to check your bag.

Just for clarity, getting from T3 to T5 is easy via the free Heathrow inter-terminal train service (same place as the Heathrow Express and Heathrow Connect). When you clear immigration and customs in T3, just follow the signs for "Trains to London." When you get to the train station, collect a free terminal transfer ticket from the ticket machine, proceed through the ticket check gate, then follow the signs for T5, not the Heathrow Express to London. It's one stop and the train terminates in T5. You'll actually be boarding a Heathrow Express train that came in from London and terminates at T5.

If you have not yet ticketed your AA flight to LHR, see if the Lyon connection can be added on. That would be the simplest as you'd be able to through-check your bags. If you have already ticketed your AA flight to LHR, see if AA or your TA can book the Lyon flight as a separate ticket in the same PNR. With it being in the same PNR, AA may be willing to through-check your bag.

Jonesdds Jul 16, 2019 1:44 pm

Originally Posted by mvoight (Post 31304125)

I was considering doing this, is there a station close to the airport or would I have to go downtown, Pancras station? If it was a quick taxi there I'd think about it. Assume requires a change of trains in Paris? We'll have two large suitcases and the carryon's so trying not to make it too difficult....

teemuflyer Jul 16, 2019 1:50 pm

Originally Posted by Jonesdds (Post 31310508)
I was considering doing this, is there a station close to the airport or would I have to go downtown, Pancras station? If it was a quick taxi there I'd think about it. Assume requires a change of trains in Paris? We'll have two large suitcases and the carryon's so trying not to make it too difficult....

As romantic as taking the train would be, there are lots of transfers involved and with two large suitcases I wouldn't try it. Plus it will still take a lot longer to get to Lyon vs. just taking the later BA flight. My 2 cents..

Jonesdds Jul 16, 2019 2:17 pm

Originally Posted by teemuflyer (Post 31305023)
As others have mentioned, 1:55 is too short of a time to be at all comfortable on making the BA flight to Lyon. That being said, the nice thing about having your second flight leave from T3 is the abundance of lounges to try out (AA/BA/CX/QF) and they are all very close to each other. As an EXP you can even try the F lounges/sections where available.

With the later departure, you can leisurely check them all out, take a shower,,relax, and have lunch and/or nibble on the various offerings the lounges provide. Of course this means you will have the opportunity to try out quite the selection of champagnes ;), or other beverages. This scenario is much preferable to trying to rush in a panic to catch the earlier flight, if even possible.

Yes I wondered what lounges I'd be able to access. That does make the wait go much quicker. I am EXP and would most likely be flying coach on a AA award ticket(maybe BA award ticket), after a biz class flight on AA. So I would have access to those first class lounges? Does AA have Flagship lounge in LHR at this point? Probably be last on my list with CX and QF being the most interesting.

If both of my tickets are AA, even though one purchased and one is award am I really not able to combine them and have luggage checked all the way through? Yes, the second flight would be on BA metal but AA ticket.

teemuflyer Jul 16, 2019 2:28 pm

Originally Posted by Jonesdds (Post 31310609)
Yes I wondered what lounges I'd be able to access. That does make the wait go much quicker. I am EXP and would most likely be flying coach on a AA award ticket(maybe BA award ticket), after a biz class flight on AA. So I would have access to those first class lounges? Does AA have Flagship lounge in LHR at this point? Probably be last on my list with CX and QF being the most interesting.

If both of my tickets are AA, even though one purchased and one is award am I really not able to combine them and have luggage checked all the way through? Yes, the second flight would be on BA metal but AA ticket.

As an EXP on AA (OW Emerald) you have access to all OW First Class and below lounges when traveling internationally, including one guest when flying on OW flights. Doesn't matter if you are using rewards or cash for the tickets.

AA does have a Flagship First Lounge (the last of it's kind) in LHR, but all the other lounges I mentioned are available for you to try as well. Totally acceptable to hop around to check them all out.

And alas, if you purchase one ticket and use awards on another, they are unfortunately considered separate tickets, thus no checked luggage through between those flights.

JDiver Jul 16, 2019 2:46 pm

Originally Posted by teemuflyer (Post 31310646)
As an EXP on AA (OW Emerald) you have access to all OW First Class and below lounges when traveling internationally, including one guest when flying on OW flights. Doesn't matter if you are using rewards or cash for the tickets.

AA does have a Flagship First Lounge (the last of it's kind) in LHR, but all the other lounges I mentioned are available for you to try as well. Totally acceptable to hop around to check them all out.

And alas, if you purchase one ticket and use awards on another, they are unfortunately considered separate tickets, thus no checked luggage through between those flights.

Surprisingly, the only exception AA lists for through checking bags on separate ticketing is when it’s a revenue ticket connecting to an award ticket or v.v. One would generally have to request that and remind the agent of that exception.

OP, forget the train. You have to take the Tube from Hatton Cross to King’s Cross, walk .2 miles to St. Pancras. Absolute minimum an hour, I’d give it 1.5 hours. You need ~an hour to check in and do security at St. Pancras International, then 6 hrs or longer to Lyon, depending on connections (usually at Lille).

OTOH, you’d arrive and depart LHR T-3 for LYS, and you have plenty of lounge choices. https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/amer...aa-fliers.html

anabolism Jul 17, 2019 9:03 am

Originally Posted by Jonesdds (Post 31310609)

This is a fairly recent (last couple of years) AA policy change, and another customer-hostile policy from AA. As I said upthread, if you can combine both sets of flights into one record, then separate tickets can be issued out of that one PNR and in most cases AA will then happily through-check your bags. AA can issue an award and a revenue ticket out of one PNR, but it gets tricky and I think one needs to be booked first. I think the revenue ticket needs to be booked first but I am not certain.

JJeffrey Jul 17, 2019 9:15 am

Originally Posted by anabolism (Post 31313224)
This is a fairly recent (last couple of years) AA policy change, and another customer-hostile policy from AA. As I said upthread, if you can combine both sets of flights into one record, then separate tickets can be issued out of that one PNR and in most cases AA will then happily through-check your bags. AA can issue an award and a revenue ticket out of one PNR, but it gets tricky and I think one needs to be booked first. I think the revenue ticket needs to be booked first but I am not certain.

AFAIK they both need to booked at the same time over the phone in order for this to work. Obviously it takes a very well trained agent who knows what they're doing, probably a lot of HUCAs. Only a few very anecdotal data points on here of any success with this. If one ticket is already booked then it's not possible to add the additional paid/award flight onto the existing PNR.

anabolism Jul 17, 2019 10:50 am

Originally Posted by JJeffrey (Post 31313273)
AFAIK they both need to booked at the same time over the phone in order for this to work. Obviously it takes a very well trained agent who knows what they're doing, probably a lot of HUCAs. Only a few very anecdotal data points on here of any success with this. If one ticket is already booked then it's not possible to add the additional paid/award flight onto the existing PNR.

It's something that agents should be familiar with but unfortunately many aren't. However, an agency can do this fairly easily, even after the first ticket has been issued.

dannyp123 Jul 18, 2019 7:59 am

How about KLM in T4?

Looking on arriving T4 (KLM) two hours before departing on AA from T3. Not sure we can avoid the need to check bags (and thus I assume do immigration/baggage claim in T4 and landside xfer).

Is this plausible or cutting it too close?

KARFA Jul 18, 2019 8:27 am

Originally Posted by dannyp123 (Post 31316749)
Looking on arriving T4 (KLM) two hours before departing on AA from T3. Not sure we can avoid the need to check bags (and thus I assume do immigration/baggage claim in T4 and landside xfer).

Yes if you have to collect bags you will need to go though immigration at T4, collect the bags, use the landside transfer options (tube or Heathrow Express), then recheck your bags with AA in T3 before heading to security.

I think 2 hours is simply not enough, if i were you I would want at least 3 hours between those two, i assume these are separate bookings and there is no protection as well?

JJeffrey Jul 18, 2019 8:33 am

Originally Posted by dannyp123 (Post 31316749)

With separate tickets and baggage, 2 hrs. was cutting it too close even in a T3 to T3 situation like the above, so it's definitely not plausible for a T4 to T3 connection.

UKtravelbear Jul 18, 2019 9:33 am

You don't have two hours! you have 2 hours less the bag drop cut off time so a lot less time than you think. I think AA is no later than 45 mins so you'd have 1hr 15 mins. If it's an hour ...

Given the MCT for people with proper connections between T4 and T3 is 90 minutes using the airside system a self connection of less than that going landside is a recipe for disaster.

And I'm not sure AA would rebook you for free if you arrive late for something that isn't either their or a partner airlines fault.

dannyp123 Jul 18, 2019 10:12 am

Thanks everyone - guess I should book the earlier incoming flight to get the extra 80 minutes for the connection