FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   American Airlines | AAdvantage (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/american-airlines-aadvantage-733/)
-   -   GUIDE: LHR / London Heathrow, Connection, MCT inc. AA T3 <--> BA/IB T5 (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/american-airlines-aadvantage/1321109-guide-lhr-london-heathrow-connection-mct-inc-aa-t3-ba-ib-t5.html)

JJeffrey Aug 2, 2018 11:35 am

Originally Posted by aj411 (Post 30040071)
We have flights scheduled ORD>LHR>PSA next month. Looks like we are scheduled to arrive T3 (AA metal) at 6:50am and depart T5 BA at 8:35.
Legal connection but tight.
I've been through Heathrow but not generally this tight when connecting and it has been several years. So, I'd prefer not to make one of those stupid mistakes of getting in a long line where I didn't really have to or find out when I get to the head of the line that I had a shorter option or, worse, was in the completely wrong line .
We will be in J ORD>LHR and CE LHR >PSA; I am Platinum Pro (OW Sapphire) my husband has no status.
From what I read this should get us into Fasttrack at T5 security but I have a couple of clarification questions to the "route"
My understanding:
- We deplane at T3, take purple connection path that will lead to the T5 buses - no security, immigration, etc to this point?
- We get off bus. I presume there are connecting to T5 signs here and that this is an airside controlled area where they drop us off and not just general airport departure entrance?
- If we have our onward boarding passes, do we go straight to security, Fasttrack lane? Is this where we will go through the carryon bag check and general security check (your basic normal security checkpointbut maybe with maybe some additional baggage size check)? Do we ever have to stop by a BA desk if we have boarding passes?
- If we don't have onward boarding passes (I never trust AA on this one), when we get off the bus are there obvious checkin counters for BA nearby? Will there be premium cabin/elite lines for these counters?
- Once through security, I know we have to see which part of 5 we are in but is it worth it to have the Heathrow app on our phone to quickly check where we would be headed if we are tight on time? [I'm seriously not planning to have lounge time]
This may seem anal but we've had too many times where we've waited in long lines just to find out that there was a business/fastrack/elite/whatever line that we had missed or WORSE that there were forms we should have had filled out that they didn't give us on the plane (thank you Hong Kong and Cathay - didn't make that mistake twice!).
If someone has done a step by step report of this scenario or pretty close that I've missed in my search, feel free to point me in the right direction.

AJ

1:45 should be plenty and with a little luck and short waits for buses and/or security you might even find yourself with 20-30 mins of lounge time.

You are correct, exit the AA flight at T3 and follow purple flight connections signs to the T5 bus. No security or anything like that after arriving in T3.

You'll arrive at T5 on the ground level, take the escalators up and walk down a short bit to the T5 transfer area. When looking at area, the fast track lines are farthest to the right. The first line will be for a quick scan of your boarding pass, after which you'll pass through, go up more escalators, and be in the security line. If for whatever the reason you can't get your BA boarding pass when you check-in, there are tons of BA counters in the same area before the boarding pass check.

PSA will most likely depart from the main T5A area so once you clear security you're at most a 5 min walk to the gate. I really wouldn't stress about downloading the Heathrow app or anything like that, most of the time gates aren't posted until 30-40 mins before flight time anyway and there are lots of signs you can check along the way.

aj411 Aug 2, 2018 12:42 pm

Thanks everyone! exactly what I was looking for
AJ

QueenOfCoach Aug 2, 2018 7:21 pm

Originally Posted by aj411 (Post 30040071)
- Once through security, I know we have to see which part of 5 we are in but is it worth it to have the Heathrow app on our phone to quickly check where we would be headed if we are tight on time? [I'm seriously not planning to have lounge time]

The other answers are exactly correct. When you get to area in T5 where they first check boarding passes ("Flight Conformance"), just head over to your right. That is the fast track lane which will take you up the escalators into the fast track security. You can't go wrong if you get in that line.

About the Heathrow app: Some years back I downloaded the app so I could track, over a couple of weeks, the gate "my" flight was using. I figured I might see some kind of pattern, then be able to head toward the north or south part of the terminal and wait nearer my departure gate. After a few weeks, I saw there was no pattern. "My" flight left from gates in the north, south, mid-way and occasionally from T5B.

Since then, I have a new plan. When I go through Flight Conformance, remember the first boarding pass check in T5 where you enter the fast track system, I politely ask the checker if they have my gate "penciled in". I use those exact words to indicate I know that anything they tell me is tentative and that I know to watch the monitors in the terminal for the official, true gate assignment.

If I can get the "penciled in" gate number, then I wait near that gate, but still keep a sharp eye on the terminal monitors for my gate assignment. Once my gate is announced, I go there right away. That sometimes works, sometimes it does not.

One problem with the BA Galleries lounges is that the two lounges are at the far north and south part of the terminal. (There is another lounge in T5B.) That could make for a long walk if your gate is announced at the opposite end of the terminal. My personal preference is to just wait about mid-way, unless I get that "penciled in" gate number. When you are short on time, skipping the lounge is probably for the best.

Usavril Sep 30, 2018 8:42 am

Aa136 To ba910

Hi,

l will arrive from lax on aa136 in t5 and have to cath the ba910 in t3.
but... aa just changes time scheduke of aa136, will be leaving at 7.35pm (was 6.35pm before)... problem is i just will have 50 min to change terminal.

what i am suppoaed to do? Ask aa to put me on the next flight? Or is it possible to have a epress access?

many thanks!

wrp96 Sep 30, 2018 8:50 am

Originally Posted by Usavril (Post 30263156)
Hi,

but... aa just changes time scheduke of aa136, will be leaving at 7.35pm (was 6.35pm before)... problem is i just will have 50 min to change terminal.

what i am suppoaed to do? Ask aa to put me on the next flight? Or is it possible to have a epress access?

many thanks!

You need to call and ask to be put on a different connection as 50 minutes is below the MCT even for T5-T5 connections, much less a T3-T5 connection.

One slight correction to your post, AA136 will arrive at T3. BA910 to FRA departs from T5.

Blumie Sep 30, 2018 9:07 am

Hi,

many thanks!

Originally Posted by wrp96 (Post 30263186)

You need to call and ask to be put on a different connection as 50 minutes is below the MCT even for T5-T5 connections, much less a T3-T5 connection.

One slight correction to your post, AA136 will arrive at T3. BA910 to FRA departs from T5.

AA may have proactively moved you to a later connection, but a call to AA will easily resolve the situation. If they haven’t already done so, they will make the change without a change fee.

Alternatively you could ask them to move you to the earlier LAX-LHR flight.

Usavril Sep 30, 2018 9:33 am

Thanka.
as it will be a return of vacation, i dont want to leave lax earlier ;)
so I'll call aa tomorrow to ask for a changr.

many thanks for your help!

KARFA Sep 30, 2018 2:56 pm

Hi,

just to note AA136 arrives in to T3 at LHR, and BA910 to MUC departs from T5.

Usavril Oct 1, 2018 5:32 am

Sorry I switched the terminals ;)

nrr Nov 28, 2018 7:20 am

connecting in LHR T3 to T5 on 11/21/18

I flew AA 100 (JFK-LHR) which arrived 20 minutes early (would have been 40 min. early, but we were in a holding pattern).
We deplaned* at the furthest end of T3, hence lots of walking, reaching the "FLIGHT CONNECTION" cut off there was a huge queue, the electronic board noted: "we are experiencing delays...". Reaching T5 the queue for Fast Track security had a large queue, so pax were directed to non-FT lines, to "equalize" the wait:rolleyes:. After exiting security I headed for South Lounge (less crowded than North). The only PLUS for the whole connection was that my flt from LHR to ZRH departed from a gate near the South Lounge.
Of course none of the above would have been an issue had AA not removed the n/s between JFK and ZRH.:p
*does AA get to pick landing gates?

C46 Nov 28, 2018 7:40 am

And the whole point of this thread, is the dislike of AA's axing of JFK-ZRH...?!

nrr Nov 28, 2018 7:54 am

Originally Posted by C46 (Post 30475503)
And the whole point of this thread, is the dislike of AA's axing of JFK-ZRH...?!

Yes.:D as well as the "fun" operation of connecting in LHR.

airmarc Dec 3, 2018 7:39 am

Greetings all,

I am flying MIA-LHR-HAM next week. This is 2 separate itineraries meaning MIA-LHR is on one ticket with AA, and then the onwards leg was booked with BA. I have 2 hours connection time and not checking a bag. Will I be able to stay airside and simply switch terminals (assuming I can check in at a connections counter or obtain my boarding pass online for the BA flight)

Any help is appreciated thanks!

JJeffrey Dec 3, 2018 7:42 am

Originally Posted by airmarc (Post 30493537)
Greetings all,

I am flying MIA-LHR-HAM next week. This is 2 separate itineraries meaning MIA-LHR is on one ticket with AA, and then the onwards leg was booked with BA. I have 2 hours connection time and not checking a bag. Will I be able to stay airside and simply switch terminals (assuming I can check in at a connections counter or obtain my boarding pass online for the BA flight)

Any help is appreciated thanks!

Yes, this is no problem. After arriving just follow signs to flight connections and hop on the bus to T5. Either do OLCI and print your LHR-HAM BP, or just stop a the BA desks once you get to T5 before the conformance/security checks.

QueenOfCoach Dec 3, 2018 8:13 am

Originally Posted by airmarc (Post 30493537)

You can stay airside, but you will have to switch terminals and go through LHR security.

Your AA flight will very likely land in T3 and your BA flight will likely leave from T5.

Here's the drill. You land and follow the crowd down the concourse. Look for purple "Flight Connections" signs. Follow those purple signs that direct you to T5. That will take you to a bus waiting area. Get on the bus then get off at T5.

Upon arrival in T5, go up the escalator and again follow the purple signs to Flight Connections. Here is the place where you will get your new boarding pass. (Either that or download the BA app and get a mobile boarding pass.) Next is Flight Conformance. Someone will check your boarding pass, then send you up an escalator to LHR T5 Security, where you will go through the full security check. Unless you have heavy clunky shoes (avoid), you can keep your shoes on, but laptops, tables, Kindles, 3-1-1 liquids, etc, all come out of the bag.

After Security, you go into the main lounge area. They do not announce gates until they are ready to open the gate to departing passengers. In other words, you can't just go to your gate and wait there. Find a place in the departure lounge where you can watch the TV monitors and wait for your flight's gate to be announced, then make your way to the gate. Don't dawdle. They expect people to go directly to the gate once it's announced.

If you have extra time, you might want to walk around T5 to acquaint yourself with the layout before your flight gate is announced on the TV monitors.

Some flights leave from the two other T5 terminals, namely T5B and T5C. Usually they announce that on the TV monitor so you can make your way to T5B or T5C then wait there for the gate assignment. If you have to go to T5B or T5C, you will take a mini-train. The elevator to the T5B and T5C mini-train is on the south side of the terminal, clearly marked. Ask someone if you are unsure.

Note that the mini-train trip is one-way. You can't just get on the train to go sightseeing, then come back to T5A. When the mini-train gets to its destination, they check to see the train is free of passengers before letting the next group on. This way they isolate the arrivals from the departures.

When it's time to go back home, you'll do the same thing in reverse. Land at T5, follow the purple Flight Connection signs to the bus to T3, then go through LHR T3 security, then wait in the departure lounge.

airmarc Dec 3, 2018 8:49 am

Thank you all for the info!!!!

Oaxaca Dec 3, 2018 8:51 am

Originally Posted by QueenOfCoach (Post 30493653)
You can stay airside, but you will have to switch terminals and go through LHR security.

Your AA flight will very likely land in T3 and your BA flight will likely leave from T5.

Not likely, this will definitely be the case for AA>BA MIA-LHR-HAM next week,

Upon arrival in T5, go up the escalator and again follow the purple signs to Flight Connections. Here is the place where you will get your new boarding pass. (Either that or download the BA app and get a mobile boarding pass.) Next is Flight Conformance. Someone will check your boarding pass, then send you up an escalator to LHR T5 Security, where you will go through the full security check. Unless you have heavy clunky shoes (avoid), you can keep your shoes on, but laptops, tables, Kindles, 3-1-1 liquids, etc, all come out of the bag.

After Security, you go into the main lounge area. They do not announce gates until they are ready to open the gate to departing passengers. In other words, you can't just go to your gate and wait there. Find a place in the departure lounge where you can watch the TV monitors and wait for your flight's gate to be announced, then make your way to the gate. Don't dawdle. They expect people to go directly to the gate once it's announced.

Good advice, a couple of extra points:

The deadline for conformance (boarding pass check at T5 connections security is 35 mins prior to the scheduled departure time of the onward flight. It's possible there is a little flexibility on this (not if coming from landside), but don't count on it. If possible print (or download via BA app) your onward BP, this can be done from 24 hours prior to the departure time.

In T5 gates are mostly announced (on screens) 1 hour prior to scheduled departure. Not really the case that you need to go immediately for a short haul flight, these are unlikely to board more than 30 mins prior to scheduled departure (except perhaps gates A4 and A10 for remote stands)

Some flights leave from the two other T5 terminals, namely T5B and T5C. Usually they announce that on the TV monitor so you can make your way to T5B or T5C then wait there for the gate assignment. If you have to go to T5B or T5C, you will take a mini-train. The elevator to the T5B and T5C mini-train is on the south side of the terminal, clearly marked.

Majority of short haul flights go from the main T5A terminal, but it is possible that it will be T5B/C. Best to stay in T5A until the gate is shown on screens, since these can change even last minute at LHR. The shuttle train elevator is pretty much in the centre of the terminal.

Note that the mini-train trip is one-way. You can't just get on the train to go sightseeing, then come back to T5A. When the mini-train gets to its destination, they check to see the train is free of passengers before letting the next group on. This way they isolate the arrivals from the departures.

Not strictly true, but maybe better to leave it like this for a beginner :)

2 hours "connection" on separate tickets is brave, though of course quite possible if the TATL is on time (or even up to an hour late, but be prepared to run in that case).

KARFA Dec 3, 2018 10:02 am

They no longer do any checks at T5C before the transit comes back to T5A. This is a way to "land" yourself from the departures area in T5, staying on the transit means you swap to the arrivals stream in coming back from T5C.

QueenOfCoach Dec 3, 2018 12:53 pm

Originally Posted by KARFA (Post 30494052)
They no longer do any checks at T5C before the transit comes back to T5A. This is a way to "land" yourself from the departures area in T5, staying on the transit means you swap to the arrivals stream in coming back from T5C.

Thank you for the correction.

QueenOfCoach Dec 3, 2018 12:58 pm

Originally Posted by Oaxaca (Post 30493798)
Majority of short haul flights go from the main T5A terminal, but it is possible that it will be T5B/C. Best to stay in T5A until the gate is shown on screens, since these can change even last minute at LHR. The shuttle train elevator is pretty much in the centre of the terminal.

True. I fly every year LAX-LHR-Germany, usually DUS. Every year I have flown out of T5A to Germany.

This year was the exception. Due to a late-arriving aircraft and difficulty finding a gate, our flight was from T5C. Thanks to the BA forum people and their detailed messages on LHR transfers, I was prepared for the mini-train and knew where to look for the elevator.

shutter41 Dec 4, 2018 7:11 am

I'll be connecting from a non-OW flight (UA, terminal 2 I assume) to a BA flight (terminal 5 I assume) with a 1:50 connection. Is it better to check bags or not check bags for this transfer? I assume I'll have to re-clear security? What's the easiest way to make that transfer? I believe bags can be checked through since I booked the flights together (through United).

JJeffrey Dec 4, 2018 7:22 am

Originally Posted by shutter41 (Post 30497377)
I'll be connecting from a non-OW flight (UA, terminal 2 I assume) to a BA flight (terminal 5 I assume) with a 1:50 connection. Is it better to check bags or not check bags for this transfer? I assume I'll have to re-clear security? What's the easiest way to make that transfer? I believe bags can be checked through since I booked the flights together (through United).

If it's booked on a single ticket through UA then your bags will be checked through. LHR sees tons of connections like this, so it's not unusual to have bags connecting from T2 to T5, etc. What is your final destination on BA? It's easy to search online and see if you will depart from T5 or T3. Once you land at LHR, just follow the signs to flight connections and take the bus to T5 or T3. Once you arrive at T5/T3 there will be BA desks if you need to get your boarding pass, after this you will clear security again and then be in the departures area.

QueenOfCoach Dec 4, 2018 8:11 am

I assume I'll have to re-clear security? What's the easiest way to make that transfer?

Yes, you will re-clear security upon entering your departure terminal. That is a given. You just get off your arriving flight and follow the purple Flight Connection signs.

pmblinn Dec 4, 2018 9:31 am

The LHR website has a nifty "Flight Connections" tool. You enter your arriving and departing flights/dates and it kicks out step-by-step detailed connecting instructions, including inter-terminal transfers. I've never been steered wrong by it.

wakesetter93 Dec 4, 2018 9:41 am

Originally Posted by pmblinn (Post 30497832)
The LHR website has a nifty "Flight Connections" tool. You enter your arriving and departing flights/dates and it kicks out step-by-step detailed connecting instructions, including inter-terminal transfers. I've never been steered wrong by it.

I'm assuming that this is airline related and not gate related? For instance if I'm flying in on AA and out on BA it'll just give me the directions from T3 to T5, or by inputting the flight numbers and dates will it provide gate to gate information closer to the day of travel?

pmblinn Dec 4, 2018 10:06 am

Originally Posted by wakesetter93 (Post 30497865)
I'm assuming that this is airline related and not gate related? For instance if I'm flying in on AA and out on BA it'll just give me the directions from T3 to T5, or by inputting the flight numbers and dates will it provide gate to gate information closer to the day of travel?

You will input actual airlines, flight numbers and dates. Tool will give you terminal-level connecting detail, as specific gate assignments aren't made until about 1 hour (I think) prior to scheduled departure.

wakesetter93 Dec 4, 2018 10:34 am

Originally Posted by pmblinn (Post 30497942)
You will input actual airlines, flight numbers and dates. Tool will give you terminal-level connecting detail, as specific gate assignments aren't made until about 1 hour (I think) prior to scheduled departure.

Understood.

I tried out the tool but didn't know if it provided updated information on the day of travel. Thanks!

nrr Dec 4, 2018 10:50 am

I'm connecting T3 (AA) to T5 (BA) on December 25; I assume that the connection bus system will operate on 12/25, even though nearly all mass transit in London shuts down.

KARFA Dec 4, 2018 10:53 am

Originally Posted by nrr (Post 30498100)
I'm connecting T3 (AA) to T5 (BA) on December 25; I assume that the connection bus system will operate on 12/25, even though nearly all mass transit in London shuts down.

Yes the airside connection buses will operate on Christmas Day. Also if you do need to go landside I believe there will be inter-terminal HEX trains.

nrr Dec 4, 2018 11:14 am

Originally Posted by KARFA (Post 30498112)
Yes the airside connection buses will operate on Christmas Day. Also if you do need to go landside I believe there will be inter-terminal HEX trains.

Thanks! I've done this connection too often:td:. I won't have to go landside; isn't that a double whammy: LHR immig. plus LHR security.

ntamayo Dec 21, 2018 12:09 pm

The advice to aj411 upthread will help me as well: DFW-LHR-BRU, arriving in PE, departing in Y, morning connection of 2h 15m next Fri.

Only concern for me is at T5 security screening and not getting Fast Track (me PLT, wife & daughter are GLD). Would pre-booking the Fast Track Security Pass benefit us at this point?

jtav559 Dec 21, 2018 12:53 pm

Originally Posted by ntamayo (Post 30562013)
The advice to aj411 upthread will help me as well: DFW-LHR-BRU, arriving in PE, departing in Y, morning connection of 2h 15m next Fri.

Only concern for me is at T5 security screening and not getting Fast Track (me PLT, wife & daughter are GLD). Would pre-booking the Fast Track Security Pass benefit us at this point?

You should be able to make it in 2:15, but it could get pear shaped if security is backed up. If you are wanting to use the lounge facilities at all, paying for it would help give you some extra time.

I think as a PLT / OW Saph - you are entitled to Fast Track Security (others can confirm?). Seems AA site says you are, but I have not been through there on a PY or Y ticket before to test the theory. I don't know if that also applies to Fast Track at immigration.

A side bar thought - You could politely ask the AA crew in J if you (a PLT) could snag a few of the fast track invitations for your connection as it is a little tight. They do hand them out occasionally and if you smile really big :D

EDIT TO ADD:
https://www.britishairways.com/en-gb...rt/heathrow-t5

See the security drop down menu and the passport control drop down menu. They both list that OWS are entitled to benefits. If your party is all on one ticket, I think they will get the OWS treatment. Especially if you say, "My wife and daughter are traveling with me."

You should be good from what I can read, but that can be confirmed by other FT members with hands on experience.

N830MH Dec 21, 2018 1:40 pm

Hi all,

I scheduled to fly from PHX-MIA-LHR on AA and then British Airways from LHR-BSL. I knows how to get there. I can change from T3 to T5. So I will take inter terminal shuttle bus. It is very near security checkpoints where the terminals shuttle bus is.

Steve_ZA Dec 22, 2018 4:15 am

Originally Posted by jtav559 (Post 30562174)
EDIT TO ADD:
https://www.britishairways.com/en-gb...rt/heathrow-t5

See the security drop down menu and the passport control drop down menu. They both list that OWS are entitled to benefits. If your party is all on one ticket, I think they will get the OWS treatment. Especially if you say, "My wife and daughter are traveling with me."

You should be good from what I can read, but that can be confirmed by other FT members with hands on experience.

The rule with fast track security is it normally the card holder plus a guest, they will probably let a family though together but this would be bending the rules a bit.

nrr Dec 22, 2018 5:20 am

Originally Posted by N830MH (Post 30562349)
Hi all,

I scheduled to fly from PHX-MIA-LHR on AA and then British Airways from LHR-BSL. I knows how to get there. I can change from T3 to T5. So I will take inter terminal shuttle bus. It is very near security checkpoints where the terminals shuttle bus is.

Getting from your plane in T3 to the connection bus can involve lots of walking (even with moving conveyors); at times the queue for the bus is long and the busses aren't always running "on schedule". After debussing in T5 there is lots of walking to get to T5 security. The Fast Track lines for T5 security can be long(er) than regular at times. But with all of the above, I've gotten out of T5 security in less than 1 hour and had time to visit a BA Lounge for 30+ minutes, before doing lots of walking (sometimes having to take a train within T5) to my gate.

N830MH Dec 23, 2018 9:51 pm

Originally Posted by nrr (Post 30564069)
Getting from your plane in T3 to the connection bus can involve lots of walking (even with moving conveyors); at times the queue for the bus is long and the busses aren't always running "on schedule". After debussing in T5 there is lots of walking to get to T5 security. The Fast Track lines for T5 security can be long(er) than regular at times. But with all of the above, I've gotten out of T5 security in less than 1 hour and had time to visit a BA Lounge for 30+ minutes, before doing lots of walking (sometimes having to take a train within T5) to my gate.

Actually, I have 3 hours layover. So I can barely makes it. I am connecting the flight to Basel. I know the flight is departed at T5a.

nrr Dec 23, 2018 10:23 pm

Originally Posted by N830MH (Post 30569125)
Actually, I have 3 hours layover. So I can barely makes it. I am connecting the flight to Basel. I know the flight is departed at T5a.

I've connected for flts. from LHR to ZRH (flying on BA). The gates are not always the same, they post dep. gates 40 minutes before t/o time. Once after arriving at my dep. gate they made a change, hence lots more walking and instead of boarding at the gate the were bussed to the plane.:td:

KARFA Dec 24, 2018 12:48 am

Originally Posted by N830MH (Post 30569125)

Short haul can go from any of t5a/b/c. It is probably more likely to go from A but it can go from B or C as well - so you would need a little extra time to go to B/c gates using the transit. Gates are usually posted around an hour before the flight, although if you ask a BA agents when they are checking your bp they should be able to tell you before that what the indicated gate is - albeit there is a small chance it may change prior to it being displayed.

anabolism Dec 25, 2018 12:09 pm

Originally Posted by KARFA (Post 30569344)
Gates are usually posted around an hour before the flight, although if you ask a BA agents when they are checking your bp they should be able to tell you before that what the indicated gate is - albeit there is a small chance it may change prior to it being displayed.

Long-haul flights do generally get their gates posted about an hour before takeoff, since extra time is needed for document checks, extra screening for flights to the U.S., and for boarding in general. Short-haul flights usually don't get their gates posted until much closer, typically 30-40 minutes before departure. One reason is that LHR makes a lot of profit off shopping, and they figure if people know they won't have a gate for another 45 minutes or so, they will shop.

nrr Dec 25, 2018 2:45 pm

Or spend lots of time in a lounge!