Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

AA Anytime / AAnytime award / awards [master thread]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Oct 23, 2015, 3:05 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Prospero
AAnytime Awards (restricted to AA marketed and operated flights)

NOTE: There will likely be further changes. See Dynamic Award Pricing to be Expanded - AA announces 30 May 2019 link

Link to American Airlines award chart

Link to one world and other airline partner award chart

Link to HELP DESK: MileSAAver / SAAver award questions, assistance, discussion thread.

AAnytime awards

With no blackout dates, you can use AAnytime awards for any seat on an American Airlines or American Eagle® flight for as low as 20,000 miles each way, plus any applicable taxes and carrier-imposed fees.

AAnytime award levels vary by date (including time of day) and region. There are select dates that require a higher number of miles (in addition to Level 1 and 2 awards, there is a hidden level 3 based on aspirational value and premium product and even some hidden level 4 award space released on Flagship transcontinental flights). When you search for awards while booking, you’ll see the applicable available award level.
See this post (post #122) for more on the Level 3 increases introduced August 2016.

Link to The Points Guy article on the hidden Level 3.

If a seat is available for sale on an American Airlines marketed and operated flight, you can acquire it as an AAnytime award seat. AAnytime awards require more miles than the restricted MileSAver awards (for AA and required for partners); there are three tiers for the miles required for AAnytime awards seats; it can "cost" even more miles during high demand periods or on certain aspirational flights.

What you need to know
  • AAnytime awards are only offered on AA marketed and operated flights
    • Miles shown are for one-way travel
      • Book a one-way trip or combine awards for round-trip or multi-city travel
        • AAnytime awards mean as long as there is a seat available for sale, an AAnytime award can take it (but miles cost can be very high)
          • Each award is subject to taxes and carrier-imposed fees starting from $5.60 per person, per award. These taxes and fees vary by itinerary and are based on trip origin and destination. The exact amount of taxes and carrier-imposed fees that will apply will appear when searching for a particular itinerary.
            • For flights offering only two classes of service, the Economy and Business / First Class awards apply. For flights offering three classes of service Economy, Business / First and First Class awards apply.
              • NOTE: AAnytime miles "cost" can vary in accord with flight demand, even on the same day

Awards cost $150 to redeposit ($25 for multiple / other travelers' awards taken from the same account); the fee is waived for awards taken from and returned to the account of an Executive Platinum member, when one wishes to pay more miles for a higher class of service or when significant flight or schedule disruption occurs).

Fees for redepositing a MileSAAver award are generally waived if they are "upgraded" to an AAnytime award. “Downgrading” from AAnytime to !ileSAAver requires redeposited and a new award ticket issue.

AAnytime awards do not earn miles, but are more flexible than MileSAAver awards, allowing easier changes and more perquisites (baggage, Same Day Flight Change, Main Cabin Extra and premium seat selection, two courtesy bags to 23 kg / 50 lbs, etc.)

Print Wikipost

AA Anytime / AAnytime award / awards [master thread]

Search this Thread

Old Mar 19, 2018, 7:52 am

Originally Posted by NYCommuter
If I book an award ticket with my miles (I am Platinum), and I book the ticket for a family member who does not have status, I used to be able to pick a Main Cabin Extra seat for free for the person. Now, I can't.

Has AA changed its policy so that Main Cabin Extra seats are available for free on award tickets only if the person who's traveling has status, regardless of who books the ticket? Or I am I just screwing it up?

Thanks.
They changed this last summer I think. The family member will have to pay for MCE.
ibrandsguest likes this.
Old Mar 20, 2018, 3:21 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by rrgg
They changed this last summer I think. The family member will have to pay for MCE.
That brings up the next question: Can they pay for MCE on an award now?

Ie, there used to be a long-running AA "IT problem" which made it impossible to pay for MCE on an award (meaning, for example, that Golds who get MCE at 1/2 price couldn't get it at any price on a Saver award)? Has that finally been fixed?
Old Sep 18, 2018, 7:27 am

Question Change AAnytime Award

Sorry if this has been answered but I could not find it. I need to change a Business/First AAnytime award to a different day while keeping same destination and origin. The original date uses 45k miles but the new date uses 55k miles. Will I be able to change this domestic itinerary without incurring a redeposit fee and just pay the additional miles necessary? I wasn't sure because even though it's the same type of award, the miles needed is not the same.

Thanks in advance.
Old Sep 18, 2018, 9:59 am

Programs: CK or bust
Originally Posted by MrBill64
Sorry if this has been answered but I could not find it. I need to change a Business/First AAnytime award to a different day while keeping same destination and origin. The original date uses 45k miles but the new date uses 55k miles. Will I be able to change this domestic itinerary without incurring a redeposit fee and just pay the additional miles necessary? I wasn't sure because even though it's the same type of award, the miles needed is not the same.

Thanks in advance.
Yes, you will not incur a redeposit fee. You're correct in that it would kick in (for a non-Executive Platinum) for a change of cabin to a lesser cabin (such as F > J or J > Y) but in this case you are still remaining in the same cabin, thus if you were switching to a date or a flight with fewer AAnytime miles, you would actually get miles back. If you get any push-back at all, then HUACA.

Even if the routing changes on your domestic itinerary you would just be liable for the additional miles and you'll see a deposit of the 45K and a new debit of the 55K. The only other fee that might arise which the phone agent may be able to apply a waiver to would be a close-in ticketing fee (which normally incurs a $75 charge for non-Executive Platinum members).

Last edited by enpremiere; Sep 18, 2018 at 12:28 pm Reason: Clarification that re-deposit charges are not assessed for non Executive Patinums when upgrading or keeping the same cabin
Old Sep 18, 2018, 10:49 am

Originally Posted by enpremiere
Yes, you will not incur a redeposit fee. You're correct in that it would kick in (for a non-Executive Platinum) for a change of cabin but in this case you are still remaining in the same cabin, thus if you were switching to a date or a flight with fewer AAnytime miles, you would actually get miles back. If you get any push-back at all, then HUACA.

Even if the routing changes on your domestic itinerary you would just be liable for the additional miles and you'll see a deposit of the 45K and a new debit of the 55K. The only other fee that might arise which the phone agent may be able to apply a waiver to would be a close-in ticketing fee (which normally incurs a $75 charge for non-Executive Platinum members).
Thanks for your reply. That is what I thought should happen.
Old Oct 15, 2018, 1:05 pm

Looking at business class to LHR, but not starting from a hub city next May, no particular day required, it's a vacation so I'm flexible. It looks like the Business AAnytime award books economy on the domestic part (320 so it has first and the current state is wide open). Given the domestic part is more than 1/4 of the total flight time, getting that part in first would have been preferred. It doesn't seem like there is a way to get the domestic first without international first as well. I thought it might be inventory, but it books on the first AAnytime into domestic first, just not on the Business class. I've tried various days across several weeks, but all indicate economy on the domestic part.
Any ideas what is going on?
Old Oct 15, 2018, 1:27 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP 2MM, SK EBS
Originally Posted by autdi
Looking at business class to LHR, but not starting from a hub city next May, no particular day required, it's a vacation so I'm flexible. It looks like the Business AAnytime award books economy on the domestic part (320 so it has first and the current state is wide open). Given the domestic part is more than 1/4 of the total flight time, getting that part in first would have been preferred. It doesn't seem like there is a way to get the domestic first without international first as well. I thought it might be inventory, but it books on the first AAnytime into domestic first, just not on the Business class. I've tried various days across several weeks, but all indicate economy on the domestic part.
Any ideas what is going on?
Probably some sort of an aa.com glitch, I would put the flights you want on hold and call AA to see if an agent can get first on the domestic segment.

That said...why on earth are you booking an AAnytime award almost 8 months in advance? These will be available as long as there is a single seat for sale, so unless the flights you want are almost sold out completely I would be in no hurry at all to book this. With the flexibility you have you're much better off to keep an eye on things over the coming months and see if anything better (i.e. sAAver) opens up.
Old Oct 15, 2018, 3:29 pm

Originally Posted by JJeffrey
Probably some sort of an aa.com glitch, I would put the flights you want on hold and call AA to see if an agent can get first on the domestic segment.

That said...why on earth are you booking an AAnytime award almost 8 months in advance? These will be available as long as there is a single seat for sale, so unless the flights you want are almost sold out completely I would be in no hurry at all to book this. With the flexibility you have you're much better off to keep an eye on things over the coming months and see if anything better (i.e. sAAver) opens up.
Why is mostly a what's the worst this will cost check. I know some routes sell out, but didn't really expect this would, and LHR isn't an absolute, I'm not attached to going to London, just need to get somewhere in the UK, the wife's family is from Ireland, Scotland and Wales, so that's the goal, so really just getting somewhere on the island is good enough, given I'll be driving the rest of the island anyway as they couldn't be conveniently located even on a single island, much less not spread over the entirety of one, and on another plane over to the other one as well. I have been kicking around MAN as an option. The real question was what's the deal with no first domestic on an otherwise business class ticket. There was zero chance of actually picking it now, but looking to get the kinks out of the process while it didn't matter.
Old Oct 15, 2018, 3:59 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP 2MM, SK EBS
Why is mostly a what's the worst this will cost check. I know some routes sell out, but didn't really expect this would, and LHR isn't an absolute, I'm not attached to going to London, just need to get somewhere in the UK, the wife's family is from Ireland, Scotland and Wales, so that's the goal, so really just getting somewhere on the island is good enough, given I'll be driving the rest of the island anyway as they couldn't be conveniently located even on a single island, much less not spread over the entirety of one, and on another plane over to the other one as well. I have been kicking around MAN as an option. The real question was what's the deal with no first domestic on an otherwise business class ticket. There was zero chance of actually picking it now, but looking to get the kinks out of the process while it didn't matter.
Understood, yea I would put the flights on hold (with the domestic segment in coach) then call AA and ask the agent to manually change it to first.
Old Oct 15, 2018, 4:19 pm

Originally Posted by JJeffrey
Understood, yea I would put the flights on hold (with the domestic segment in coach) then call AA and ask the agent to manually change it to first.
Much appreciated, IT clearly doesn't get the attention it sorely needs.
Old Oct 15, 2018, 7:29 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
Much appreciated, IT clearly doesn't get the attention it sorely needs.
That’s quite understated.

Sabre is a very old legacy system. AA had signed a letter of intent with Hewlett-Packard to develop an entirely new GDS, to be called Jetstream. Bankruptcy killed that. Mr. Parker chose Sabre for the “new AA”, and the only modification was installing the QIK overlay on it.
Old Nov 7, 2018, 7:15 am

Can you folks help?
Flying dca-bos-nrt on aa/jl award in j. The aa leg got cancelled and no viable alternative to get me to bos in time to catch the connection(The JL flight is at noon). No other awards available. There is an award DCA-JFK-LHR-NRT on BA/JL but they cant move me on that one because the routing does not allow award like that. Their only solution was DCA-DFW-NRT on all AA flites. Is there a way to force the long way around through LHR by asking for a sup to override the routing? Their other solution is to travel to BOS on the day before and stay at a hotel at my expense. The flight is on the 25th, so for obvious reasons I cant fly on the 24th and sleep in BOS at my expense
I told them id wait until day of departure, perhaps they can confirm me on the BA/JL combo then?
Old Nov 7, 2018, 10:20 am
Hilton Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: Free Agent
Originally Posted by libuser
Can you folks help?
Flying dca-bos-nrt on aa/jl award in j. The aa leg got cancelled and no viable alternative to get me to bos in time to catch the connection(The JL flight is at noon). No other awards available. There is an award DCA-JFK-LHR-NRT on BA/JL but they cant move me on that one because the routing does not allow award like that. Their only solution was DCA-DFW-NRT on all AA flites. Is there a way to force the long way around through LHR by asking for a sup to override the routing? Their other solution is to travel to BOS on the day before and stay at a hotel at my expense. The flight is on the 25th, so for obvious reasons I cant fly on the 24th and sleep in BOS at my expense
I told them id wait until day of departure, perhaps they can confirm me on the BA/JL combo then?
AA isn't going to ticket you via LHR due to the TPAC rule. If you have obligations preventing you from heading up to Boston on Christmas Eve, I'd take AA up on their offer to fly via DFW.

Last edited by Beltway2A; Nov 7, 2018 at 12:47 pm
Old Nov 7, 2018, 10:49 am

Update: Seems they are bending backwards. They can now route me through LHR no problem, but the issue now is that they are not seeing some of the award space that is from LHR. So contrary to what you think it is possible.
Old Nov 13, 2018, 10:11 am

Do AAnytime awards reprice over time (dynamic)?

Have you seen a level 3, for example, reprice to a level 4 based on capacity controls?

I'm looking at a route Hawaii to Europe beginning of June. Some days of the week are 110k and other days of the week are 135k. I want one of the 110k days (June 1). But I'm wondering if there is any advantage to picking it up early since Anytime awards are "any open seat." Or am I better off waiting just to stay flexible, in case my plans change or something better comes along. If I do get it now, at least I can reuse those tickets another time since there is no change fee (just a cancellation fee as I understand it, if I want to redeposit the miles.)

Thanks!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.