Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

ARCHIVE: FAQ: Late Arrival Standby ("Flat Tire Rule") application (master thread)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Sep 28, 2015, 1:34 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: JDiver
FAQ: Late Arrival Standby Policy ("Flat Rire Rule")
Not a published publicly viewable "rule", allows some missing flight to standby for next available flight.
Replaced by new missed flight rule April 2021.
See https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/american-airlines-aadvantage/2038716-new-flat-tire-rule-flight-near-miss-free-reaccommodation.html

Q. Is it true AA has a rule that if I miss a flight due to a mishap (accident, traffic, flat tire, slept in, etc.) they'll put me on the next flight without change fees and original and new flight fare difference?

Maybe. Kind of. Yes and no.

The so-called "Flat Tire Rule" is formally called Late Arrival Standby, and is extended to domestic passengers who show up at the airport within two hours of scheduled departure. They will be accommodated on a standby basis free of charges if they can depart the same day.

They may enhance their chances by paying $75 (waived for Executive Platinum) for
Domestic Same Day Flight Change if it's available.

What happens when bad traffic makes you miss your flight?
Linda Burbank, Special for USA TODAY 8:01 a.m. EDT April 2, 2014, in part:

The flat-tire rule is a longstanding practice of some airlines that allows passengers who miss flights due to circumstances outside their control to take the next available flight, providing space is available, with additional fees and fares waived.

...American has codified its discretionary procedure to a standard policy. Its late arrival standby policy, as it's now known, allows late passengers who arrive at the airport—not call—no more than two hours after their scheduled flights to wait on standby for the next available flight without fees or fare increases. Passengers who show up more than two hours late are on the hook for fare increases. The rule applies as long as the original flight was not the last scheduled flight of the day; the goodwill gesture doesn't roll over onto the next day.

See entire article at http://goo.gl/hGpKur
Q. What happens if my plane hasn't left, but I'm past the check-in time requirement?

You're probably still going to have to take the consequences. You must check in an hour prior to scheduled departure for international flights, and at the gate 30 minutes prior to scheduled departures; if you're late, you're late.

Q. What happens if I'm on an international flight?

Standby is not allowed for international flights. If you can get International Same Day Flight Change you may be OK to destinations SDFC is allowed (on the same day, of course). You will generally pay the change fee associated with your original fare plus the difference between your original fare and the "walk up" fare charged passengers booking today.

(JonNYC and ThreeJulietTango say Canada, USVI and Puerto Rico flights are exceptions, as are any destinations you can buy SDFC on (no standby internationally). See post at TravelingBetter.com: http://goo.gl/S3CAq4 and post #89 for this and other exceptions, including itineraries with domestic and international sectors (the fare break is at the domestic to international connection).

Q. What if my flight was the last one of the day / there's no flight with an available seat that can accommodate me the same day?

You will generally pay the change fee associated with your original fare plus the difference between your original fare and the "walk up" fare charged passengers booking today.

Frankly, booking the last flight of the day entails some risk. If there are delays and IROPS, they often get later and later as the day progresses, and in the situation at issue here means no standby, likely significant costs to you and meal and lodging costs added to your expenses.

Q. Can I just use my mobile and call?

No; you're actually expected to show at the check-in counter within two hours. But, calling can prevent your itinerary from being cancelled because you were listed as a "no show" when you miss the flight, and if you have status it's possible you could have some arrangements made for you on the spot - less to do at the check-in counter.

Q. That's not fair! Can I do anything?

Check to see if your credit card (e.g. Citi AAdvantage Executive MasterCard, etc.) includes trip interruption insurance, or buy it in advance of your trip.

Or, if you don't want to purchase TCII "self-insure"; set aside some money for unforeseen circumstances knowing if you travel frequently you'll probably encounter travel disruption.

Thanks to JonNYC, Linda Burbank of USA Today and gemac for clarification.

Print Wikipost

ARCHIVE: FAQ: Late Arrival Standby ("Flat Tire Rule") application (master thread)

Search this Thread

Old Jan 18, 2014, 8:38 pm

Programs: AA 1MM Lifetime Gold, AA Platinum, WS Gold, Marriott Bonvoy Gold
Originally Posted by reeg2
In reality - you should seek compensation from the taxi company. Or the insurance of the guy who hit the taxi you were in - they're the culpable ones here...
That has a probability of success in Mexico lower than a free election in North Korea next month.

Really should look at more assured options:

a) Leave earlier

b) Fly full fare

c) Have the taxi driver flag a new taxi immediately after the accident.

The best option of course is a) if you can't afford b).
Old Jan 18, 2014, 8:45 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA PLT (2.9+ MM), HH GLD, Hyatt Diamond, SPG PLT
Originally Posted by ricktoronto
That has a probability of success in Mexico lower than a free election in North Korea next month.
I believe the accident occurred on the way to ORD so there may be some discussion to be had w/the taxi company.
Old Jan 18, 2014, 8:47 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
Though we may refer to it as the "flat tire rule", it is not a rule AFAIK.

IMO and IME, the earlier one contacts AA the better it works - once one realizes the tire is flat it's time to call one's status line and state one won't make the flight and ask for assistance.

If the ticket has restrictions, they may (or may not) charge the difference in fare inventory available. A lot of variables here. But calling as earlier as one can avoids hassles with perhaps less eager ticket counter staff (and sometimes even less eager gate agents when one runs up and the jet bridge has closed).
Old Jan 19, 2014, 7:06 pm

Deleted duplicate
Old Jan 19, 2014, 7:07 pm

Originally Posted by bdemaria
I believe the accident occurred on the way to ORD so there may be some discussion to be had w/the taxi company.
Good point. The agent wasted a few words saying there is no flat tire rule "to Mexico" since there's no flat tire rule period.

Still:

Leave early
Fly full fare
Flag down another taxi

Work as well in ORD as in Mexico.

And the odds of getting much out of a Chicago taxi company for ancillary damages will probably be as dim as I originally postulated.
Making no effort to call or otherwise contact the airline is pretty negligent on the part of the OP.
Old Jan 19, 2014, 11:02 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime PLT, AS MVPG, HH Diamond, NCL Platinum Plus, MSC Diamond
Originally Posted by ricktoronto
Good point. The agent wasted a few words saying there is no flat tire rule "to Mexico" since there's no flat tire rule period.

Still:

Leave early
Fly full fare
Flag down another taxi

Work as well in ORD as in Mexico.

And the odds of getting much out of a Chicago taxi company for ancillary damages will probably be as dim as I originally postulated.
Making no effort to call or otherwise contact the airline is pretty negligent on the part of the OP.
Of course, not contacting the taxi company is sure way not to get any money. If there was someone at fault in the accident, then that person or their employer is responsible for the extra expense caused by the accident.
Old Jun 15, 2014, 12:00 pm

Programs: AA
Good day.

Sorry to dredge up the thread, but I have a question about the topic.

I am helping a French exchange student who missed his flight STL->DFW->COS->DFW->STL.

He was on a Greyhound bus that was supposed to arrive in STL 7 hours before the flight, but it was 8 hours late. He called AA while on the bus, and they made a notation on the reservation.

After a lot of confusion at the airport, and my calling AA reservations on his behalf, it looks like they rebooked him as a courtesy tomorrow, on standby, AA375 at 6:10am and AA249 at 9:25am. His return flight is in July and unchanged.

My question is, knowing it's a gamble, are there good odds that he'll be able to get on this early flight tomorrow? And, if it's full, will AA keep putting him on later flights until he gets to COS?

He really doesn't have the $ (about $350) to pay for the confirmed reservation and the language barrier is an issue, so I'd just like to give him an idea of how good his chances are.

Thanks for your input.
Old Jun 15, 2014, 12:11 pm

Programs: AA EXP - Marriott LT Platinum - National Exec Elite
Originally Posted by backprop
After a lot of confusion at the airport, and my calling AA reservations on his behalf, it looks like they rebooked him as a courtesy tomorrow, on standby, AA375 at 6:10am and AA249 at 9:25am. His return flight is in July and unchanged.

Thanks for your input.
#375 tomorrow shows F5Y7 with half a plane of empty seats, so should be just fine. #249 is F7Y7 with 15+ seats unassigned, so should be fine. If not, next flight is F0Y5, so unlikely, but mid-afternoon flight is wide open.
Old Jun 15, 2014, 12:17 pm

Programs: AA
Awesome. Thanks reeg2 for your reply.
Old Jul 6, 2015, 1:49 pm

I'm an new AA EP coming over from UA and didn't want to start a new thread but need some help from the experts. I'm scheduled on a domestic flight from DFW late Thursday and am nearly certain I will miss it. If I call ahead is there any chance I can get moved to the Friday morning flight the next morning if there are seats? What's people's experience with this? With UA I would be able to do SDC to any flight within 24 hours (which would include the following day), but I realize this is AA and things are different... Thanks in advance for your help
Old Jul 6, 2015, 2:43 pm
Suspended

Programs: AAdvantage PP
Originally Posted by uthornsgo
I'm an new AA EP coming over from UA and didn't want to start a new thread but need some help from the experts. I'm scheduled on a domestic flight from DFW late Thursday and am nearly certain I will miss it. If I call ahead is there any chance I can get moved to the Friday morning flight the next morning if there are seats? What's people's experience with this? With UA I would be able to do SDC to any flight within 24 hours (which would include the following day), but I realize this is AA and things are different... Thanks in advance for your help
Likely you are going to need to pay a change fee and any refare as SDC are normally for the same date (subject to inventory) and "maybe" a late night redeye the very next morning. You could call Thursday night before the flight, claim extraordinary circumstances like car problems and hope an agent takes mercy on you and waives the change fee but likely you would still need to pay any fare difference. You "might" get an agent that simply puts you on standby for the next morning. You can always ask for options, if none are appealing, hang up, recall and see if you get any other alternatives. Since you are "nearly certain" I would wait until Thursday to call. Who knows your Thursday evening flight could get massively delayed allowing you to make it.
Old Jul 12, 2015, 4:31 pm

Programs: AAdvantage
The policy is that if you arrive at the airport within 2 hours of your ticketed departure time, you can be placed on the standby list for the next available flight. If you missed the last flight of the day, then you would be placed on standby for the next available flight which would happen to be the first flight out the following morning.

HUCA isn't really applicable because RL standby can only be requested at the airport.
Old Sep 6, 2015, 7:42 pm
Suspended

Late arrival standby

Some updated info on the application of this rule:

http://www.travelingbetter.com/showthread.php?t=5947
Old Sep 8, 2015, 4:21 pm

Programs: AAdvantage
Originally Posted by JonNYC
Some updated info on the application of this rule:

http://www.travelingbetter.com/showthread.php?t=5947
^ AA officially discontinued using the term "flat tire rule" about four years ago.

It's my understanding, though, that all points in the Caribbean are eligible for late arrival standby and that standby can also be offered for the domestic portions of an international fare.
Old Sep 8, 2015, 5:05 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by ThreeJulietTango
^ AA officially discontinued using the term "flat tire rule" about four years ago.

It's my understanding, though, that all points in the Caribbean are eligible for late arrival standby and that standby can also be offered for the domestic portions of an international fare.
Interesting-- appreciate the correction, for sure. I'll double-check w/ the person who provided that info, but certainly take your guidance on it as enough to go on!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.