Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

ARCHIVE: FAQ: Late Arrival Standby ("Flat Tire Rule") application (master thread)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Sep 28, 2015, 1:34 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: JDiver
FAQ: Late Arrival Standby Policy ("Flat Rire Rule")
Not a published publicly viewable "rule", allows some missing flight to standby for next available flight.
Replaced by new missed flight rule April 2021.
See https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/american-airlines-aadvantage/2038716-new-flat-tire-rule-flight-near-miss-free-reaccommodation.html

Q. Is it true AA has a rule that if I miss a flight due to a mishap (accident, traffic, flat tire, slept in, etc.) they'll put me on the next flight without change fees and original and new flight fare difference?

Maybe. Kind of. Yes and no.

The so-called "Flat Tire Rule" is formally called Late Arrival Standby, and is extended to domestic passengers who show up at the airport within two hours of scheduled departure. They will be accommodated on a standby basis free of charges if they can depart the same day.

They may enhance their chances by paying $75 (waived for Executive Platinum) for
Domestic Same Day Flight Change if it's available.

What happens when bad traffic makes you miss your flight?
Linda Burbank, Special for USA TODAY 8:01 a.m. EDT April 2, 2014, in part:

The flat-tire rule is a longstanding practice of some airlines that allows passengers who miss flights due to circumstances outside their control to take the next available flight, providing space is available, with additional fees and fares waived.

...American has codified its discretionary procedure to a standard policy. Its late arrival standby policy, as it's now known, allows late passengers who arrive at the airport—not call—no more than two hours after their scheduled flights to wait on standby for the next available flight without fees or fare increases. Passengers who show up more than two hours late are on the hook for fare increases. The rule applies as long as the original flight was not the last scheduled flight of the day; the goodwill gesture doesn't roll over onto the next day.

See entire article at http://goo.gl/hGpKur
Q. What happens if my plane hasn't left, but I'm past the check-in time requirement?

You're probably still going to have to take the consequences. You must check in an hour prior to scheduled departure for international flights, and at the gate 30 minutes prior to scheduled departures; if you're late, you're late.

Q. What happens if I'm on an international flight?

Standby is not allowed for international flights. If you can get International Same Day Flight Change you may be OK to destinations SDFC is allowed (on the same day, of course). You will generally pay the change fee associated with your original fare plus the difference between your original fare and the "walk up" fare charged passengers booking today.

(JonNYC and ThreeJulietTango say Canada, USVI and Puerto Rico flights are exceptions, as are any destinations you can buy SDFC on (no standby internationally). See post at TravelingBetter.com: http://goo.gl/S3CAq4 and post #89 for this and other exceptions, including itineraries with domestic and international sectors (the fare break is at the domestic to international connection).

Q. What if my flight was the last one of the day / there's no flight with an available seat that can accommodate me the same day?

You will generally pay the change fee associated with your original fare plus the difference between your original fare and the "walk up" fare charged passengers booking today.

Frankly, booking the last flight of the day entails some risk. If there are delays and IROPS, they often get later and later as the day progresses, and in the situation at issue here means no standby, likely significant costs to you and meal and lodging costs added to your expenses.

Q. Can I just use my mobile and call?

No; you're actually expected to show at the check-in counter within two hours. But, calling can prevent your itinerary from being cancelled because you were listed as a "no show" when you miss the flight, and if you have status it's possible you could have some arrangements made for you on the spot - less to do at the check-in counter.

Q. That's not fair! Can I do anything?

Check to see if your credit card (e.g. Citi AAdvantage Executive MasterCard, etc.) includes trip interruption insurance, or buy it in advance of your trip.

Or, if you don't want to purchase TCII "self-insure"; set aside some money for unforeseen circumstances knowing if you travel frequently you'll probably encounter travel disruption.

Thanks to JonNYC, Linda Burbank of USA Today and gemac for clarification.

Print Wikipost

ARCHIVE: FAQ: Late Arrival Standby ("Flat Tire Rule") application (master thread)

Search this Thread

Old Dec 20, 2011, 9:05 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA 2MM, AS MVP Gold, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by alhcfp
Although it is frequently mentioned, I have not been able to find the terms of the actual Flat Tire rule.

Is it only domestic? Do you standby on next flight? and, do you have to claim Flat Tire or does getting to Ticket Counter within 2 hrs of flight time for any reason activate this rule?

Is this rule at the whim of the TA or is it official AA policy?

Thanks
The Flat Tire rule is undocumented, so you won't find the terms anywhere. It does not have to be an actual flat tire. It is used in any situation where you miss your flight, but show up at the counter reasonably soon thereafter. The reason why it is undocumented is obvious. If you wanted to take flight A, but the flight immediately before it, flight B, was much cheaper, everybody would book flight B, miss it, and invoke the rule to get on flight A.

It is actual official AA policy, but because it is undocumented, we can't quote chapter and verse to a recalcitrant agent. If, for any reason, they decide not to cover you under this policy and require you to buy a walk-up ticket, you are SOL. Remember that missing a flight in a PNR cancels all the remaining flight.

It would not be a good idea, IMO, to plan on missing a flight and invoking the Flat Tire rule.
Old Dec 20, 2011, 9:34 am
Original Member

Programs: AA PLT, ICH Plat
Originally Posted by gemac
The Flat Tire rule is undocumented, so you won't find the terms anywhere. It does not have to be an actual flat tire. It is used in any situation where you miss your flight, but show up at the counter reasonably soon thereafter. The reason why it is undocumented is obvious. If you wanted to take flight A, but the flight immediately before it, flight B, was much cheaper, everybody would book flight B, miss it, and invoke the rule to get on flight A.

It is actual official AA policy, but because it is undocumented, we can't quote chapter and verse to a recalcitrant agent. If, for any reason, they decide not to cover you under this policy and require you to buy a walk-up ticket, you are SOL. Remember that missing a flight in a PNR cancels all the remaining flight.

It would not be a good idea, IMO, to plan on missing a flight and invoking the Flat Tire rule.
Thanks Gemac

What about flights departing the Carribean?

I am in a situation where I had to buy a walkup ticket and am now arguing with AA about it. There were a number of factors involved, not just 2 hr rule, but I know it helps to have an AA policy when making arguments to AA.
Old Dec 20, 2011, 9:34 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA LT Gold 1.9 MM flying my way to LT PLAT
The so called 'flat tire rule' isn't a rule at all but a customer service method that the airline can choose to offer or not.

I would never count on getting it.

Too risky!
Old Dec 20, 2011, 9:38 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Thanks Gemac

I am in a situation where I had to buy a walkup ticket and am now arguing with AA about it. There were a number of factors involved, not just 2 hr rule, but I know it helps to have an AA policy when making arguments to AA.
Still nope. If you have had to buy a walkup ticket, you are out of luck. The chances of getting AA to return that money are zero. Move on and live life.
Old Dec 20, 2011, 9:38 am
brp
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, BA Silver, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton diamond, Marriott Platinum
Thanks Gemac

Spill the details

Seriously, it will help the folks here to provide advice if we know what happened specifically. Not sure which direction the advice will take without knowing just what happened, but it certainly won't hurt.

Cheers.
Old Dec 20, 2011, 9:46 am
Suspended

Programs: AAdvantage PP
The whole idea is to give some leeway to someone that shows up past check in time within a reasonable amount of time and as a plausible and good explanation of why (and maybe why they could not call into CS). As noted without details for a specific case its hard for anyone to give a real opinion of whether AA was right or not.
Old Dec 20, 2011, 9:52 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by newyorkgeorge
The whole idea is to give some leeway to someone that shows up past check in time within a reasonable amount of time and as a plausible and good explanation of why (and maybe why they could not call into CS). As noted without details for a specific case its hard for anyone to give a real opinion of whether AA was right or not.
Giving a real opinion without any facts is easy - happens all the time here on FT. Giving an opinion that makes any sense - not so easy.

I'm sure that if OP posts all the details, they will get plenty of opinions as to whether AA was right or not. Trouble is, that won't help OP get his money back. He is already arguing with AA about it, sounds like he isn't making headway (not surprising), and wants to quote their rule to them. As we know, he can't do that, so we have no ammo to give him. We could give him advice as to how to prevent this from happening in the future. If we do so, we will be called mean AApologists.
Old Dec 20, 2011, 9:55 am
brp
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by gemac
Trouble is, that won't help OP get his money back. He is already arguing with AA about it, sounds like he isn't making headway (not surprising), and wants to quote their rule to them. As we know, he can't do that, so we have no ammo to give him.
I don't completely agree. With the details, it may be possible to provide better arguments for the OP to use. I find that a well-constructed stance can often help one to get the desired resolution, even after the fact. In any event, couldn't hurt.

Cheers.
Old Dec 20, 2011, 9:57 am
Original Member

Originally Posted by brp
Spill the details

Seriously, it will help the folks here to provide advice if we know what happened specifically. Not sure which direction the advice will take without knowing just what happened, but it certainly won't hurt.

Cheers.
OK BRP, I will spill, but have one more Flat Tire question.

Flying AUA-MIA-DFW-AUS Pax just misses 1st AUA departure. Next AUA departure would not be able to get last DFW-AUS flight of the day, thereby causing overnite in DFW.

Is it still Flat Tire or does moving last seg into next day break this?
Old Dec 20, 2011, 9:59 am
Suspended

Details on AA's "flat tire rule"

http://www.usatoday.com/travel/colum...d-flight_N.htm

"American does have a flat-tire rule for customers who call the airline to advise that they won't make their flights, according to representative Tim Smith. This call must come in no more than two hours after the flight's scheduled departure. But that doesn't guarantee them a spot on the next flight out: Passengers travel on a standby basis only."

USA Today: Source
Old Dec 20, 2011, 10:00 am
brp
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Flying AUA-MIA-DFW-AUS Pax just misses 1st AUA departure. Next AUA departure would not be able to get last DFW-AUS flight of the day, thereby causing overnite in DFW.

Probably wouldn't break it, but also pretty likely that AA would not spring for the accommodations in DFW.

Cheers.
Old Dec 20, 2011, 10:16 am
Original Member

Originally Posted by elitetraveler
http://www.usatoday.com/travel/colum...d-flight_N.htm

"American does have a flat-tire rule for customers who call the airline to advise that they won't make their flights, according to representative Tim Smith. This call must come in no more than two hours after the flight's scheduled departure. But that doesn't guarantee them a spot on the next flight out: Passengers travel on a standby basis only."

USA Today: Source
This definitively helps.

BRP- Why would I ask AA to cover the hotel? That is my problem- not theirs.
Old Dec 20, 2011, 10:17 am

Programs: AA PLT 3MM
I posted my experience in this thread http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/ameri...light-day.html about having to use the flat-tire rule to get the first flight of the next day (albeit 12:15 am). It worked, but not without some discontent from the check-in agent.

Also, someone in that same thread raised the issue of whether the rule is the same if you miss the first flight of your itinerary as opposed to, say, the return leg. I don't think that was ever answered. Everyone always states that missing a segment cancels all the remaining ones, but presumably that cannot happen immediately otherwise the flat-tire rule wouldn't work.
Old Dec 20, 2011, 10:19 am
Original Member

Originally Posted by brp
I don't completely agree. With the details, it may be possible to provide better arguments for the OP to use. I find that a well-constructed stance can often help one to get the desired resolution, even after the fact. In any event, couldn't hurt.

Cheers.

The biggest problem we have with arguing with AA is getting a response that matches the issue that we complain about.

Last edited by magic111; Dec 20, 2011 at 10:52 am Reason: removed ad-hominen
Old Dec 20, 2011, 10:22 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

This definitively helps.

BRP- Why would I ask AA to cover the hotel? That is my problem- not theirs.
So instead you are asking them to cover the cost of a walkup fare because you wanted to get home the same day???

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.