Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

ARCHIVE: FAQ: Late Arrival Standby ("Flat Tire Rule") application (master thread)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Sep 28, 2015, 1:34 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: JDiver
FAQ: Late Arrival Standby Policy ("Flat Rire Rule")
Not a published publicly viewable "rule", allows some missing flight to standby for next available flight.
Replaced by new missed flight rule April 2021.
See https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/american-airlines-aadvantage/2038716-new-flat-tire-rule-flight-near-miss-free-reaccommodation.html

Q. Is it true AA has a rule that if I miss a flight due to a mishap (accident, traffic, flat tire, slept in, etc.) they'll put me on the next flight without change fees and original and new flight fare difference?

Maybe. Kind of. Yes and no.

The so-called "Flat Tire Rule" is formally called Late Arrival Standby, and is extended to domestic passengers who show up at the airport within two hours of scheduled departure. They will be accommodated on a standby basis free of charges if they can depart the same day.

They may enhance their chances by paying $75 (waived for Executive Platinum) for
Domestic Same Day Flight Change if it's available.

What happens when bad traffic makes you miss your flight?
Linda Burbank, Special for USA TODAY 8:01 a.m. EDT April 2, 2014, in part:

The flat-tire rule is a longstanding practice of some airlines that allows passengers who miss flights due to circumstances outside their control to take the next available flight, providing space is available, with additional fees and fares waived.

...American has codified its discretionary procedure to a standard policy. Its late arrival standby policy, as it's now known, allows late passengers who arrive at the airport—not call—no more than two hours after their scheduled flights to wait on standby for the next available flight without fees or fare increases. Passengers who show up more than two hours late are on the hook for fare increases. The rule applies as long as the original flight was not the last scheduled flight of the day; the goodwill gesture doesn't roll over onto the next day.

See entire article at http://goo.gl/hGpKur
Q. What happens if my plane hasn't left, but I'm past the check-in time requirement?

You're probably still going to have to take the consequences. You must check in an hour prior to scheduled departure for international flights, and at the gate 30 minutes prior to scheduled departures; if you're late, you're late.

Q. What happens if I'm on an international flight?

Standby is not allowed for international flights. If you can get International Same Day Flight Change you may be OK to destinations SDFC is allowed (on the same day, of course). You will generally pay the change fee associated with your original fare plus the difference between your original fare and the "walk up" fare charged passengers booking today.

(JonNYC and ThreeJulietTango say Canada, USVI and Puerto Rico flights are exceptions, as are any destinations you can buy SDFC on (no standby internationally). See post at TravelingBetter.com: http://goo.gl/S3CAq4 and post #89 for this and other exceptions, including itineraries with domestic and international sectors (the fare break is at the domestic to international connection).

Q. What if my flight was the last one of the day / there's no flight with an available seat that can accommodate me the same day?

You will generally pay the change fee associated with your original fare plus the difference between your original fare and the "walk up" fare charged passengers booking today.

Frankly, booking the last flight of the day entails some risk. If there are delays and IROPS, they often get later and later as the day progresses, and in the situation at issue here means no standby, likely significant costs to you and meal and lodging costs added to your expenses.

Q. Can I just use my mobile and call?

No; you're actually expected to show at the check-in counter within two hours. But, calling can prevent your itinerary from being cancelled because you were listed as a "no show" when you miss the flight, and if you have status it's possible you could have some arrangements made for you on the spot - less to do at the check-in counter.

Q. That's not fair! Can I do anything?

Check to see if your credit card (e.g. Citi AAdvantage Executive MasterCard, etc.) includes trip interruption insurance, or buy it in advance of your trip.

Or, if you don't want to purchase TCII "self-insure"; set aside some money for unforeseen circumstances knowing if you travel frequently you'll probably encounter travel disruption.

Thanks to JonNYC, Linda Burbank of USA Today and gemac for clarification.

Print Wikipost

ARCHIVE: FAQ: Late Arrival Standby ("Flat Tire Rule") application (master thread)

Search this Thread

Old Jan 17, 2014, 10:40 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Chase Ultimate Rewards 2MM, Diner Club points
Originally Posted by rikramer
Our taxi got into a fender-bender on our way and it caused us to arrive only 40-odd minutes before departure.
Should have gotten a chase taxi following you.
Old Jan 17, 2014, 10:52 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA PLT (2.9+ MM), HH GLD, Hyatt Diamond, SPG PLT
Horrible morning today and looking for some guidance. My wife and I were scheduled to fly ORD-SJD (Cabos) this morning. Our taxi got into a fender-bender on our way and it caused us to arrive only 40-odd minutes before departure. We were unable to check our large bag and thus were unable to board. The ticketing agent informed us that there is no 'flat tire' rule to Mexico that could get us on standby today and that we would have to purchase new itineraries outright in order to depart.

I got on the phone with a very kind EXP agent who, after an hour of plugging away, was able to get us on tomorrow's flight. We were not charged any repricing for these tickets but we were however charged a combined $400 in change fees.

Do I have any leg to stand on in asking for sympathy from AA on these charges? Has anyone been in a similar situation? I guess what irks me is that AA often delays/cancels flights due to circumstances beyond their control (weather, air traffic control, etc.), without any compensation provided. In the one instance where I end up missing a flight due to a similarly uncontrollable circumstance, I am docked such a large financial penalty. Any advice/information is much appreciated.
Ive only had to use the "flat tire rule" one time, LAX-LHR b/c of a massive pile up on the 405 - but I called from the car stating that I believed I would miss the flight, and the EXP desk protected me on a later flight.
Old Jan 17, 2014, 11:01 am

Programs: AAdvantage EXP, IHG Spire, Marriott Gold, HHonors Gold, National Executive Elite
Interesting point. My guess is if you call from the accident scene explaining what is going on and that you dont know if you will make the flight, they would be apt to work with you. Keep in mind you can be protected on another flight even while the original flight is still in your PNR. I've had this multiple times when flights get delayed for a mechanical, and limited options to rebook. They'll throw the other flights in as a reprotection and they disappear (apparently) if you make the original one.
Old Jan 17, 2014, 11:07 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime PLT, AS MVPG, HH Diamond, NCL Platinum Plus, MSC Diamond
AA has a large presence at ORD. I would have tried other agents.
While they are not required to offer you standby, it does happen.
Old Jan 17, 2014, 11:18 am

Programs: AA (EXP); among others :)
Yes.
What considerably helps in these situations is calling AA (EXP desk) to protect you as soon as you are aware that you might not make the flight and inform them of the fact.
I got stuck in DFW traffic once (huge accident) while driving to the airport to get on DFW-FRA and they rebooked me on next days' flight without any issues or charging any fees, leaving even the upgrade intact once I got to the check-in counter at T-17, way too late for anything.
Another time I missed the train from Basel to Frankfurt and had to drive up there which takes more time than the high-speed ICE train even with unrestricted autobahn speeds. Called them right away and they kept the counter open waiting for me to check my bag until I got there, well after the deadline (52 minutes until departure).
And yet another time I checked my bags curbside at LAX for a flight to LHR, then when I wanted to drive away and return the rental car the POS thing wouldn't start anymore. Waiting for assistance took too long, so AA rebooked me on a later BA flight with no problems and no fees (agents had quite a field day joking about how I'd fend off all the overeager traffic cops handing out tickets like candy for cars remaining there longer than thirty seconds).

This is one of these things where having status *really* helps.
Old Jan 17, 2014, 11:23 am

Programs: AA EXP, UA GS, SPG Plat
Originally Posted by bhomburg
Yes.
What considerably helps in these situations is calling AA (EXP desk) as soon as you are aware that you might not make the flight and inform them of the fact.
I got stuck in DFW traffic once (huge accident) while driving to the airport to get on DFW-FRA and they rebooked me on next days' flight without any issues or charging any fees, leaving even the upgrade intact once I got to the check-in counter at T-17, way too late for anything.
Another time I missed the train from Basel to Frankfurt and had to drive up there which takes more time than the high-speed ICE train even with unrestricted autobahn speeds. Called them right away and they kept the counter open waiting for me to check my bag until I got there, well after the deadline.
And yet another time I checked my bags curbside at LAX for a flight to LHR, then when I wanted to drive away and return the rental car the POS thing wouldn't start anymore. Waiting for assistance took too long, so AA rebooked me on a later BA flight with no problems and no fees (agents had quite a field day joking about how I'd fend off all the overeager traffic cops handing out tickets like candy for cars remaining there longer than thirty seconds).

This is one of the things where having status *really* helps.
Wow, it sounds like there is definitely the possibility of AA helping out EXPs in these uncontrollable situations. Really bummed that we had to shell out the $400. I am going to take the advice and write to customer relations. Especially since I now have nothing better to do today as I was intending to be laid out on the beach by now
Old Jan 17, 2014, 12:01 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
AA did a huge favor for OP by not cancelling the entire itinerary and requiring him to buy a new RT ticket at walk-up prices. There has never been a Flat Tire "Rule", even less so on intl. It has been an unwritten policy.

The change fee (2 x $200) is the least expensive option and OP ought to thank AA for having cut him slack.

This was also the result of an accident and the change fees themselves will likely be covered under OP's travel insurance (as would the reissue tickets if that had ocurred).
Old Jan 17, 2014, 12:03 pm

Programs: AA EXP
Wow, it sounds like there is definitely the possibility of AA helping out EXPs in these uncontrollable situations. Really bummed that we had to shell out the $400. I am going to take the advice and write to customer relations. Especially since I now have nothing better to do today as I was intending to be laid out on the beach by now
Your story angers me. That $400 would be better spent with Red Rum Cabo trolling the ocean for DINNER.
Old Jan 17, 2014, 12:10 pm

Programs: AA EXP - Marriott LT Platinum - National Exec Elite
Horrible morning today and looking for some guidance. My wife and I were scheduled to fly ORD-SJD (Cabos) this morning. Our taxi got into a fender-bender on our way and it caused us to arrive only 40-odd minutes before departure.
In reality - you should seek compensation from the taxi company. Or the insurance of the guy who hit the taxi you were in - they're the culpable ones here...
Old Jan 17, 2014, 12:32 pm

Programs: AA ExPlat; Other Stuff
Originally Posted by bhomburg
Yes.
What considerably helps in these situations is calling AA (EXP desk) to protect you as soon as you are aware that you might not make the flight and inform them of the fact.
Another time I missed the train from Basel to Frankfurt and had to drive up there which takes more time than the high-speed ICE train even with unrestricted autobahn speeds. Called them right away and they kept the counter open waiting for me to check my bag until I got there, well after the deadline (52 minutes until departure).

This is one of these things where having status *really* helps.
I completely agree here. I've had great luck when calling ahead. Especially since you have same-day standby with EXP.

Could you have shipped the luggage home and bought new stuff in Mexico for less than $400?
Old Jan 17, 2014, 12:39 pm

Originally Posted by flyjackjack
I completely agree here. I've had great luck when calling ahead. Especially since you have same-day standby with EXP.
I had asked about us going standby and we were told it wan't possible since the flight wasn't within the US or Virgin Islands. I didn't know enough about this to question this statement. Also, the agent mentioned all the flights were sold out so we were likely to get stranded in DFW even if we were lucky enough to get on a flight out of ORD.

Originally Posted by flyjackjack
Could you have shipped the luggage home and bought new stuff in Mexico for less than $400?
I actually asked about shipping options in my desperation (to Mexico as I didn't think about shipping home and replacing). There were no options for shipping.
Old Jan 17, 2014, 1:07 pm

Programs: A3 Gold, IHG Platinum, Marriott Silver
I had asked about us going standby and we were told it wan't possible since the flight wasn't within the US or Virgin Islands. I didn't know enough about this to question this statement. Also, the agent mentioned all the flights were sold out so we were likely to get stranded in DFW even if we were lucky enough to get on a flight out of ORD.

I actually asked about shipping options in my desperation (to Mexico as I didn't think about shipping home and replacing). There were no options for shipping.
As others have suggested, I would send a polite note to Customer Relations:

"We certainly appreciate the EXP desk assistance earlier today and while I understand the reason for the change fee charges, we would like to request those to be refunded/waived due to the circumstances we encountered en route to ORD. Thank you in advance for the consideration!"
Old Jan 17, 2014, 1:13 pm

Originally Posted by Phoenixtinct
As others have suggested, I would send a polite note to Customer Relations:

"We certainly appreciate the EXP desk assistance earlier today and while I understand the reason for the change fee charges, we would like to request those to be refunded/waived due to the circumstances we encountered en route to ORD. Thank you in advance for the consideration!"
Yup. you almost took the exact words out of my mouth. I sent a very similarly worded email to them a short while ago.
Old Jan 17, 2014, 1:38 pm

Programs: AAdvantage EXP, IHG Spire, Marriott Gold, HHonors Gold, National Executive Elite
Yup. you almost took the exact words out of my mouth. I sent a very similarly worded email to them a short while ago.
It will be a pretty likely response of "Well we normally dont do this, but since you are such a loyal customer we'll make this ONE TIME exception..." I cant tell you how many ONE TIME exceptions I've gotten from AA. I guess its there way of at some point saying NO without me going onto FT to complain
Old Jan 17, 2014, 2:04 pm

Originally Posted by imapilotaz
It will be a pretty likely response of "Well we normally dont do this, but since you are such a loyal customer we'll make this ONE TIME exception..." I cant tell you how many ONE TIME exceptions I've gotten from AA. I guess its there way of at some point saying NO without me going onto FT to complain
I sincerely hope you are right. I'm hoping that I get a sympathetic ear from whomever reads my note.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.