Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

AA Protection for OSO / IROPS / IRROPS / Misconnect on Separate AA / oneworld Tickets

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Oct 16, 2013, 1:53 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: seawolf
AA Passenger Protection for Itineraries Using Separate AA / oneworld Tickets in SAME PNR
(applies to AA, not other oneworld carriers' policies)
American Airlines policy: Changes to itineraries for passengers holding separate tickets in the SAME PNR:
COLOR]
. . .
Link for a printable PDF; (see "oneworld Reaccommodations: Separate Tickets" within).

NOTE: as oneworld have changed their policy to not require through-checking and misconnect protection of member airlines as of 1 Jun 2016 (AY, BA, QF, QR have already changed their policies and no longer offer these prior alliance passenger services), be aware AA could potentially change their policies at any time if they choose to.

AA to/from Non-oneworld® Carrier in the Same or Separate PNRs

Schedule Irregularity procedures and AA Conditions of Carriage do not apply to separate tickets purchased by the customer as part of their journey. Example: customer holds a ticket from ABQ-ORD-ABQ on AA (001 ticket stock) and a separate ticket on another carrier for continuing travel from ORD. If the AA flight is late or cancelled, AA has no responsibility for onward travel on a separate ticket for travel on a non- oneworld carrier. Advise customers who may be affected that they will need to work separately with the other airline for assistance.

AA to/from AA or a oneworld® Carrier in the Same PNR

Customers should be treated as through ticketed customers. In the event of a disruption on the originating ticket, the carrier responsible for the disruption will be required to reroute the customer to their final destination. The ticket stock of the second ticket must be of a oneworld carrier, eligible under the Endorsement Waiver Agreement. You may contact AA Reservations 1-800-433-7300 (U.S. and Canada) or outside the U.S. and Canada, reference Worldwide Reservations Numbers for additional information if the separate ticket is for travel on a oneworld carrier.

AA - Updated 8 APR 2020

2018 link link as of 11 May 2018.
24 June 2019 link https://saleslink.aa.com/en-us/docum...ty_(irops).pdf

3 October 2019 link

If the ticket was issued on/after April 8, 2020 – see Schedule Irregularity/IROPS on/after 08APR2020

This Wikipost is up to date as of Sept 2021

OLD links (dead)
https://ssc.aa.com/prmportal_enu/AgencyReferenceFiles/Booking%20and%20Ticketing%20Index.pdf
https://ssc.aa.com/prmportal_enu/AgencyReferenceFiles/Baggage%20-%20Through%20Checked%20Baggage%20with%20Separate%2 0Tickets.pdf
https://ssc.aa.com/prmportal_enu/AgencyReferenceFiles/Booking%20Index.pdf

Print Wikipost

AA Protection for OSO / IROPS / IRROPS / Misconnect on Separate AA / oneworld Tickets

Search this Thread

Old Jan 9, 2019, 9:26 am

Programs: AA EXP (owe), BA Silver (ows), AB Silver (owr), WN A+/CP, IHG Spire AMB, Avis First
Can someone please put a disclaimer at the top (like maybe the title) of this thread that this policy is very YMMV? It seems that some people have been screwed over even with policy in hand, especially when the second ticket is not issued by AA, and apparently AA even denies the existence of this policy. From what I can tell, there seem to be some conflicts about what JonNYC and others report about what the policy supposedly is, and actual experiences in case of IRROPS.

The other baggage thread needs to be modified as well to not talk about connection protection.

The last positive report was from post #253 back in late 2016 (shortly after the bag policy changed)

OTOH, there was one negative report, but it was at MAD, where there was likely contract staff...

This is particularly relevant to me as I have a LAX-SFO (AA) and SFO-HKG (CX) on seperate tickets, and SFO seems to be experiencing a lot of delays.

A SFO AAngel basically told me that I wouldn't be protected today (flight is tommorow). But I didn't pressure her very hard. Perhaps I will have better luck tommorow at LAX, where agents are probably deal with this sort of thing more often.

​​​​​

Last edited by no2chem; Jan 9, 2019 at 9:45 am
Old Jan 9, 2019, 5:53 pm

Programs: AA, CX, AS, DL / Hilton, SPG
Originally Posted by no2chem
Can someone please put a disclaimer at the top (like maybe the title) of this thread that this policy is very YMMV? It seems that some people have been screwed over even with policy in hand, especially when the second ticket is not issued by AA, and apparently AA even denies the existence of this policy. From what I can tell, there seem to be some conflicts about what JonNYC and others report about what the policy supposedly is, and actual experiences in case of IRROPS.

The other baggage thread needs to be modified as well to not talk about connection protection.

The last positive report was from post #253 back in late 2016 (shortly after the bag policy changed)

OTOH, there was one negative report, but it was at MAD, where there was likely contract staff...

This is particularly relevant to me as I have a LAX-SFO (AA) and SFO-HKG (CX) on seperate tickets, and SFO seems to be experiencing a lot of delays.

A SFO AAngel basically told me that I wouldn't be protected today (flight is tommorow). But I didn't pressure her very hard. Perhaps I will have better luck tommorow at LAX, where agents are probably deal with this sort of thing more often.

​​​​​
I’ve used this policy successfully after 2016, and I even keep this handy just in case,

Old Jan 9, 2019, 5:55 pm

Programs: CK or bust
Originally Posted by RunningforMiles

I’ve used this policy successfully after 2016, and I even keep this handy just in case,

It's awesome to keep it handy but for hopefully a select few ground agents, it's their word against a screenshot/PDF (and that's proving that MCT requirements were satisfied as well).
Old Apr 25, 2019, 12:43 pm

Programs: BA GGL, AS, Hertz Cirque Présidentielle
None of the links in the current wikipost are either working or linking to the correct file.
Old Jun 24, 2019, 11:10 pm

Programs: King of Rental Cars, BA Gold, Virgin Gold, AA MM Gold, A3 Gold, SK Gold, Hotel SuperElite
Originally Posted by Flying Yazata
None of the links in the current wikipost are either working or linking to the correct file.
I found and posted the latest URL in the Wiki. It is a noticeably unclear about separate tickets OneWorld<->OneWorld on separate PNRs.
Attached Images  
Old Jun 25, 2019, 11:04 am

Programs: AA Lifetime Plat; Bonvoy Titanium Lifetime Elite;Hyatt Globalist; HHonors Diamond; United Silver
Originally Posted by enpremiere
It's awesome to keep it handy but for hopefully a select few ground agents, it's their word against a screenshot/PDF (and that's proving that MCT requirements were satisfied as well).
A two year old screen shot when there may have been changes in the policy since (and definitely changes in the wording).
Old Jun 25, 2019, 12:05 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime Gold
Originally Posted by beachfan
A two year old screen shot when there may have been changes in the policy since (and definitely changes in the wording).
Agreed.

I'm not a Twitter user, but it would be interesting if someone Tweeted AA nowadays, and asked whether AA still protects on separate AA-oneworld tickets that are on separate PNRs.
Old Jun 25, 2019, 5:24 pm

Of course it's going to change - Having a recent version of the policy or a link to it readily at hand is the point.
Old Jun 26, 2019, 8:52 am

Originally Posted by Mrp Alert
I found and posted the latest URL in the Wiki. It is a noticeably unclear about separate tickets OneWorld<->OneWorld on separate PNRs.
This seems to be a major change and would be a huge devaluation. This rule was virtually the only the only reason I still flew AA TPAC. I reached out to AA for clarification.

Obviously I wouldn't try to use a 2 year old screenshot, that was an example of a conversation I've had. In the past if I thought I would need to use this rule I would DM them with my PNR so that the message was case specific to confirm that I was protected in writing and would use that if needed/if the airport agent was unaware of the rule. I don't see a problem with that, it was backup from the often very knowledgeable folks on their Twitter team.
Old Jun 26, 2019, 10:54 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by RunningforMiles
This seems to be a major change and would be a huge devaluation. This rule was virtually the only the only reason I still flew AA TPAC. I reached out to AA for clarification.

Obviously I wouldn't try to use a 2 year old screenshot, that was an example of a conversation I've had. In the past if I thought I would need to use this rule I would DM them with my PNR so that the message was case specific to confirm that I was protected in writing and would use that if needed/if the airport agent was unaware of the rule. I don't see a problem with that, it was backup from the often very knowledgeable folks on their Twitter team.
Still officially protected:
Old Jun 26, 2019, 11:22 am

Originally Posted by JonNYC
^ FWIW, AA said the same to me.
Old Jun 26, 2019, 12:58 pm

Programs: AA EXP, DL DM, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by JonNYC
Is there a PDF or some sort of official doc from AA indicating this?

Also (as you point out on Twitter), that "same connecting point" is a stealth deval of this perk, especially since most of the use-cases would be connecting from AA onto once-a-day flights from the connection city...
Old Jun 26, 2019, 6:08 pm

Deleted - entirely wrong thread.
Old Jun 26, 2019, 6:13 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by taxicabnumber
Is there a PDF or some sort of official doc from AA indicating this?
Nothing I'm able to share publicly-- and-- just completely using my imagination/speculating here-- maybe that's "how they like it" as it were (again, sheer conjecture on my part, I have absolutely nothing to support the idea.)

But, in any case, for AA-AA connection point not static, for AA<->OW it says to maintain connection point of the 2 tickets.
Old Oct 14, 2019, 2:48 pm

Programs: King of Rental Cars, BA Gold, Virgin Gold, AA MM Gold, A3 Gold, SK Gold, Hotel SuperElite
Great news. As of 3 October, this benefit has been restored.
Attached Images  
lfc84 likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.