Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

MileSAAver / SAAver award reduction / scarcity discussion

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 25, 2014, 2:56 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: JDiver

Be sure to check the lengthy http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/ameri...elections.html and oneworld and Other Airline (Partner) Awards info, rules 2014 on threads, as many members have posted questions - and useful answers - there. See the wiki posts for informative summaries.

Also be aware - AA have reduced capacity and apparently chosen to make MileSAAver flights significantly less available during predicted periods of high demand and high demand flights, undoubtedly keeping seats available for those willing to pay higher fares and use the new tiered AAnytime awards.

Older posts as of 1 Jan 2015 and later may be found in thd archived thread ARCHIVE: MileSAAver / SAAver award reduction discussion post 2015 AAdvantage merger

Older posts may dating from Aug 2011 through the AAdvantage program merger January 2015 be found in the archived thread here.

Print Wikipost

MileSAAver / SAAver award reduction / scarcity discussion

Search this Thread

Old Aug 14, 2017, 2:23 pm

Programs: AA Gold
Red face

Originally Posted by rjw242
If you knew the answer, why did you ask how you did it?
It wasn't me who asked. I was relaying information for cheap tom who asked about it.
Old Aug 14, 2017, 2:28 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by susiesan
It wasn't me who asked. I was relaying information for cheap tom who asked about it.
Then how did I get RT J award tix to South America on LAN for a Cape Horn cruise next February using Advantage miles?
Looks like a question to me.
Old Aug 14, 2017, 5:27 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by JonNYC
LA isn't now and wasn't before bookable as awards on AA.com
Then how did I get RT J award tix to South America on LAN for a Cape Horn cruise next February using Advantage miles?
Answer: You presumably searched somewhere else other than aa.com, and then once you found availability, you called AA on the phone to actually book. (And they didn't charge you a phone booking fee because they knew you can't book LAN / LATAM on aa.com.) Don't you remember?

The places you can search include other oneworld airline sites, or for the nicest user interface I prefer Award Nexus (www.awardnexus.com), which is free (up to a point) for FlyerTalk members (click "more signup options" under the green Purchase button to get to the screen where you can sign up using your FT login), and which can search through both BA and QF using the exact same user interface for both. (If you used the BA and QF sites directly, you'd have to learn different user interfaces.) Also it can remember what searches you did earlier and redo them or edit them and do different versions of them, while the BA site doesn't let you do that very much. And sometimes BA or QF has "phantom" results, so it's nice to be able to check one against the other.

But the one place you cannot possibly search (successfully) for LAN / LATAM award flights is on aa.com.
JonNYC likes this.

Last edited by sdsearch; Aug 14, 2017 at 5:32 pm
Old Aug 14, 2017, 6:05 pm

Programs: AS, UA, WN, IHG Diamond Elite, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Gold, CET 7*
Decided this am to visit friends in Chicago for Thanksgiving and was shocked to find (2) SAAver awards in F (25k/each) on a perfectly timed nonstop from SFO on Wednesday the 22nd. Assumed I might get lucky and find availability on Thursday am, so was quite pleasantly surprised. Fare was $410, so happy to save the $820.00 for us both.

(Return is VX F award on the following Monday)
Old Aug 14, 2017, 8:36 pm

Programs: LFFRS BOD
Originally Posted by beachfan
Only AA can book an AAdvantage award. Did you mean you called AA?
Well it was 2 years ago and I thought I called LAN directly to use my AA miles to book the one way flight within SA.
Old Aug 15, 2017, 2:51 pm

Originally Posted by JonNYC
LA isn't now and wasn't before bookable as awards on AA.com
My bad then. I flew AA award travel on LAN a few years ago, and I thought I booked on AA.com. Must be mis-remembering.

But someone else posted that there was no phone-reservation fee if the flight you want isn't available on AA.com. I could have sworn I got hit with the fee more than once. I even tried to dispute it by saying "I HAD to call in, because I couldn't book this online by myself" No dice.
Old Aug 15, 2017, 3:36 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP 2MM, SK EBS
Originally Posted by cheaptom
My bad then. I flew AA award travel on LAN a few years ago, and I thought I booked on AA.com. Must be mis-remembering.

But someone else posted that there was no phone-reservation fee if the flight you want isn't available on AA.com. I could have sworn I got hit with the fee more than once. I even tried to dispute it by saying "I HAD to call in, because I couldn't book this online by myself" No dice.
That would make sense if your trip was a few years ago. AA only just started waiving the phone fee for awards you can't book online within the past year or two, don't remember the exact date.
Old Aug 15, 2017, 3:42 pm

Originally Posted by JJeffrey
That would make sense if your trip was a few years ago. AA only just started waiving the phone fee for awards you can't book online within the past year or two, don't remember the exact date.
That's really good news that I didn't know.
Old Aug 15, 2017, 3:46 pm

Programs: AA PLT, SPG Gold
That's really good news that I didn't know.
Don't worry, most AAgents don't know either.
Old Aug 15, 2017, 4:21 pm

Originally Posted by no1cub17
Don't worry, most AAgents don't know either.
LOL. I still have the email I sent to AA at the time, asking them to waive the phone-reservation fee. My point was basically, "I WANTED to book online, but your partner airlines weren't listed, so my ONLY option was to call. And now you charge me?"

Their response: "Sorry, but this is an industry-wide policy and other airlines do this too."
Old Aug 15, 2017, 4:37 pm
Suspended

LOL. I still have the email I sent to AA at the time, asking them to waive the phone-reservation fee. My point was basically, "I WANTED to book online, but your partner airlines weren't listed, so my ONLY option was to call. And now you charge me?"

Their response: "Sorry, but this is an industry-wide policy and other airlines do this too."
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/ameri...st-awards.html
Old Aug 17, 2017, 9:58 am

Programs: AA PLT, HH Gold, SPG/Marriott Gold
Been tracking awards to HKG over the next month or two and had decent Saver availability. As of 2am everything had been pulled, back to all Anytime awards. Luckily put some on hold but wow, just cold. haha

They had coach saver for almost everyday over the next few months and some J and F thrown in. Now nothing.

EDIT: Looks like a lot of domestic saver was wiped also. Did I miss something somewhere? Tech glitch?
Old Aug 17, 2017, 10:15 am

Programs: AA EXP, A3 Gold
Now with AirBerlin filing for bankruptcy, our options to Europe are even more limited. Sad.
Old Aug 17, 2017, 1:22 pm

Originally Posted by longhorn11
Been tracking awards to HKG over the next month or two and had decent Saver availability. As of 2am everything had been pulled, back to all Anytime awards. Luckily put some on hold but wow, just cold. haha

They had coach saver for almost everyday over the next few months and some J and F thrown in. Now nothing.

EDIT: Looks like a lot of domestic saver was wiped also. Did I miss something somewhere? Tech glitch?
I am seeing the same lack of domestic saver, not even 3-segment domestic trips anymore.
Old Aug 17, 2017, 1:35 pm

Programs: AA PLT, HH Gold, SPG/Marriott Gold
Just looked again and a lot of coach saver awards showed back up for some intl routes (from literally zero this morning). DFW-ORD went from tons of saver availability (like 20 options) to zero options to now 1 option with a connection on certain days. Idk what AA is doing right now, but it's maddening.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.