Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

MileSAAver / SAAver award reduction / scarcity discussion

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jan 25, 2014, 2:56 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: JDiver

Be sure to check the lengthy http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/ameri...elections.html and oneworld and Other Airline (Partner) Awards info, rules 2014 on threads, as many members have posted questions - and useful answers - there. See the wiki posts for informative summaries.

Also be aware - AA have reduced capacity and apparently chosen to make MileSAAver flights significantly less available during predicted periods of high demand and high demand flights, undoubtedly keeping seats available for those willing to pay higher fares and use the new tiered AAnytime awards.

Older posts as of 1 Jan 2015 and later may be found in thd archived thread ARCHIVE: MileSAAver / SAAver award reduction discussion post 2015 AAdvantage merger

Older posts may dating from Aug 2011 through the AAdvantage program merger January 2015 be found in the archived thread here.

Print Wikipost

MileSAAver / SAAver award reduction / scarcity discussion

Search this Thread

Old Feb 22, 2017, 12:05 am

Programs: AA, 1.5MM, GE
What a surprise, and not a good one...

Wow, I researched a flight for July using KVS like I have for the past many, many years, found a route (that included a DFW-HKG start), confirmed all segments were available and called friendly award desk to book... not... only to find out that the DFW-HKG award in July is not a milesaver but an anytime award, huh,... how far out is this?... This was going to pull 197500 miles out of my account and that was for one way! So I quickly came to FT to find out the latest and learned that I am just another chump to be on the AA train. AA's frequent fliers have been with them long enough to accumulate 100's of 1000's of miles - are now rewarded by opening a few milesaver awards a few days before departure. Milesaver by definition was intended to reward upfront planning, etc. and Anytime meant that, ANYTIME, like I need to go tomorrow!

She was very friendly and I got the sense she has had this conversation before and encouraged me to call back and try again later... And I thought the reward devaluation was bad... Now I need to see if KVS will tell me what kind of inventory is available... Will let you know if I have any success...
Old Feb 22, 2017, 12:34 am

Originally Posted by bobert24
Yep. My new strategy has (unfortunately) become: book anything you can find that will get you there when you need to be there. Ugly schedule, coach if necessary, whatever. Hope and pray that a better schedule/class will be available a day or two before departure. To be fair, it usually is, but that always ends up making for unnecessary stress and work for everybody - both me and the reps that have to make the changes.

The ability to make changes to award flight schedules/routings and to upgrade to a better cabin without incurring change fees may well be the only thing left keeping AA FFs from rioting.
I see your point. I have done that when trying to go up (from coach to business for example, but at least they were milesaver). Do you get refunded miles if you went from an Anytime award to a Milesaver award? Is that even possible? I would not risk it, I think I'd rather buy a ticket, bank the miles and hope the award program becomes more friendly in the future.
Old Feb 22, 2017, 1:42 am

Programs: AA LT PLT 3 MM+, BA (very) Blue, CO nobody
Originally Posted by wandertheglobe
,,,,,bank the miles and hope the award program becomes more friendly in the future.
That is one thing I would not bank on
Has that ever happened before - going from bad to better? I can't recall that ever happening, but I could be wrong. OTOH, I can remember a lot of times when good things got worse over the years.
Old Feb 22, 2017, 6:05 am

Originally Posted by Paulchili
Has that ever happened before - going from bad to better? I can't recall that ever happening, but I could be wrong.
It has on at least 2 occasions but it was so long ago that it is not worth detailing.
Old Feb 22, 2017, 9:14 am
KVS
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Arrow

Now I need to see if KVS will tell me what kind of inventory is available... Will let you know if I have any success...
AA Award Availability you see via the KVS Tool is at the Standard ("SAAver") level.

Wow, I researched a flight for July using KVS like I have for the past many, many years, found a route (that included a DFW-HKG start), confirmed all segments were available and called friendly award desk to book... not... only to find out that the DFW-HKG award in July is not a milesaver but an anytime award, huh,...
For tips on dealing with AAgents, who may claim lack of Award Availability at that level, please see Q32 in the FAQ section of the KVS Tool User Guide.
Old Feb 22, 2017, 9:55 am

Programs: AA Exec Plat, Hyatt,Marriott,BA,AS
Wow, I researched a flight for July using KVS like I have for the past many, many years, found a route (that included a DFW-HKG start), confirmed all segments were available and called friendly award desk to book... not... only to find out that the DFW-HKG award in July is not a milesaver but an anytime award, huh,... how far out is this?... This was going to pull 197500 miles out of my account and that was for one way! So I quickly came to FT to find out the latest and learned that I am just another chump to be on the AA train. AA's frequent fliers have been with them long enough to accumulate 100's of 1000's of miles - are now rewarded by opening a few milesaver awards a few days before departure. Milesaver by definition was intended to reward upfront planning, etc. and Anytime meant that, ANYTIME, like I need to go tomorrow!

She was very friendly and I got the sense she has had this conversation before and encouraged me to call back and try again later... And I thought the reward devaluation was bad... Now I need to see if KVS will tell me what kind of inventory is available... Will let you know if I have any success...
Did you check KVS again after you spoke with AA and were the seats still showing available?
Old Feb 22, 2017, 7:34 pm

Programs: UA 1.5mm, *gold, AA - P, Marriot Titanium
This thread is beginning to sound like a battered spouse story, in a very bad relationship, but continuing to stay in the relationship. Why? For those of you that care, you need to drop AA and fly an airline that is improving rather than go south.
Old Feb 22, 2017, 8:07 pm

Originally Posted by Jeffw5555
This thread is beginning to sound like a battered spouse story, in a very bad relationship, but continuing to stay in the relationship. Why? For those of you that care, you need to drop AA and fly an airline that is improving rather than go south.
Ok, I'll bite, I've had a long day... which airline would that be?
Old Feb 22, 2017, 8:29 pm
Suspended

Programs: American Airlines
Ok, I'll bite, I've had a long day... which airline would that be?
I'm stuck with AA due to company/Concur travel restrictions.

That being said UA has much better business saver redemption.

The last remaining vestige of status with AA is the great domestic upgrade rate for EXP's at least. As a 1K on United I was 8% CPU rate for the year. I've been 95% so far this year with AA. Don't get me wrong that's great but for me at least I'd rather sit in coach and have better opportunities to redeem miles for saver J redemption.

When AA starts FCM, and it's going to happen, the remaining vestige I enjoy will be gone and AA will sink to the bottom, if not already there.
Old Feb 22, 2017, 8:33 pm

Programs: AA EXP
Originally Posted by enviroian
When AA starts FCM, and it's going to happen ...
Can you post a link to the official announcement?
Old Feb 22, 2017, 10:06 pm

Originally Posted by JIMCHI
Did you check KVS again after you spoke with AA and were the seats still showing available?
No, I have KVS at home and I'm on the road, will check when I get home. I'll darn sure call AA back if it is still showing now that I know KVS only shows saver fares!
Old Feb 22, 2017, 11:39 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

FWIW, 2 saaver business seat DFW-FRA showed up on 3/5.
Needless to say any connection from West Coast is gone incl coach - nothing, nada!
Great.
Old Feb 23, 2017, 1:50 am

Programs: AA LT PLT 3 MM+, BA (very) Blue, CO nobody
Originally Posted by cesco.g
FWIW, 2 saaver business seat DFW-FRA showed up on 3/5.
Needless to say any connection from West Coast is gone incl coach - nothing, nada!
Great.
I am sure someone will grab them but I can't imagine that too many people either for business or pleasure can make such plans on such a short notice.
In other words, they are almost useless for all practical purposes.
Old Feb 23, 2017, 5:17 am
Suspended

Programs: American Airlines
Originally Posted by rjw242
Can you post a link to the official announcement?
I most certainly will when it's posted.
Old Feb 23, 2017, 8:53 am

Programs: AA 2MM LT PLT; AS MVP Gold75k; HHonors Diamond; IHG PLT
I see your point. I have done that when trying to go up (from coach to business for example, but at least they were milesaver). Do you get refunded miles if you went from an Anytime award to a Milesaver award? Is that even possible?
I believe the answer is no for downgrade, without the redeposit fee.

I would not risk it, I think I'd rather buy a ticket, bank the miles and hope the award program becomes more friendly in the future.
History suggests airlines (and banks - credit cards) will continue to whittle away at benefits, which includes saver award availability. There has been lots written online about the pitfalls of banking miles, which I consider sage advice.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.