Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

[Archived] TSA Pre-Check / PreCheck Known Traveler program for AA FFs

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Dec 26, 2012, 9:58 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: JDiver
TSA Pre-Check / PreCheck Known Traveler program for AA FFs (consolidated)

You are eligible to be selected (on a flight-by-flight basis) for TSA PreCheck expedited screening if:
  • You are a frequent American Airlines flyer that have been invited by American Airlines to participate and followed the instructions on the email to accept, or/and
  • You participate in a "Trusted Traveler" program (Global Entry, NEXUS, SENTRI and/or TSA PreCheck application program) and have entered your "Known Traveler ID" in the reservation
    • If you're using your AAdvantage number, you can enter the "Known Traveler ID" in the Personal Information and Password tab of My Account) so it will auto-populate in all new reservations bearing the AAdvantage number made anywhere
    • If your reservation doesn't have your AAdvantage number, you can retrieve it and add the "Known Traveler ID" to it. The method is not very intuitive: on AA.com click on my trips, then on view all, then on find my reservation and enter either the record locator (if you know it), or the flight information using the AA operating flight number (not any eventual codeshare number from another airline).
    • Your Secure Flight Information (name, sex, DOB) in the reservation must match the one with the program (except for "middle" or other names, which are ignored) (name on ticket does not matter)
    • You will find your "Known Traveler ID" on the GOES website or on your program's card, under the name "PASSID". It is either 9 digits or the letters TT plus 7 digits
You will know if you have been selected on a particular flight if the wording or logo "TSA PreCheck" appear on your boarding pass.

NOTE: 20 May 2016: "Today’s announcement makes a total of 16 carriers that participate in TSA Pre✓®: Aeromexico, Air Canada, Alaska Airlines, Allegiant, American Airlines, Cape Air, Delta Air Lines, Etihad Airways, Hawaiian Airlines, JetBlue Airways, Seaborne Airlines, Southwest Airlines, Sun Country Airlines, United Airlines, Virgin America and WestJet.

Passengers who are eligible for TSA Pre✓® include: members of the TSA Pre✓® application program, U.S. Customs and Border Protection (CBP) Trusted Traveler program, Global Entry, and Canadian citizens who are members of CBP’s NEXUS program. TSA Pre✓® is also available for U.S. Armed Forces service members, including those serving in the U.S. Coast Guard, Reserves and National Guard."

Link

How it works

In the Pre-Check lane, you no longer need to remove the following items:
  • Shoes (some, such as steel-toed shoes, may require removal)
  • 3-1-1 compliant bag from your carry-on (all liquid restrictions still apply)
  • Laptop from your bag (if electronics are stacked on top of each other, they require removal)
  • Light outerwear or jacket
  • Belt (large belt buckles may require removal)
  • Pre-Check Lanes are WTMD only-- No NoS in use
LOCATIONS

Link to FlyerGuide Wiki listing of American Airlines (only) PreCheck checkpoints.

Link to FT thread AA Airport / Concourse TSA PreCheck - Hours [only] (may not be current)

See also post 1 of this thread. (It contains much additional info in the Moderator's Note.)

NOTE: PreCheck is changing to a Trusted Traveler (GE/NEXUS/SENTRI) -like program, where anyone will be able apply and pay USD $85 (online or at a PreCheck enrollment center), be vetted for approval, present proof of identification and be fingerprinted at a PreCheck enrollment center (IAD and IND, opening Fall 2013, will be thie first), and be granted PreCheck status for five years from that time. It will not be airline - or airline status - tied.

"Current PreCheck participants, including those eligible via a CBP Trusted Traveler Program such as Global Entry, will continue to receive PreCheck eligibility. Participants who opted-in through their airline frequent flyer program may want to consider applying for PreCheck, as they are more likely to be selected for PreCheck expedited screening more often if they are vetted via the PreCheck application process." Link.

Trusted Traveler (Global Entry, Nexus, Sentri) and Having Problems with PreCheck?

If you belong to one of the Trusted Traveler Programs listed above, you may run into issues getting PreCheck clearance if your Secure Flight Data is not an exact match to the data that you entered into your application on the GOES (Global Online Enrollment System) website when you applied for your TT membership.

For example, if your airline account has Bob Jones, but your GOES account has Bob James Jones, then the TSA may not be associating your information properly when it "decides" who can and can not have access. Additionally, if your PASS ID # (listed above in the screen-shots) is not an exact match, there will be a mismatch when TSA processes your information, and you will not receive PreCheck.

To ensure you receive PreCheck on all flights (domestic & internatioal), be sure to ensure the information in your AA profile is accurate. The name on the ticket does not matter- the "Secure Flight Data" is what is used to determine PreCheck status.

Signed in members with 90 days / 90 posts can edit this Wikipost; wiki contents may be printed by using the (lower right wiki corner)

TSA Pre✓® / PreCheck / Pre Check Issues, Changes, etc.

Known issues:

• Not every airport or terminal offers the TSA Pre✓® program

• TSA Pre✓® may have limited or irregular hours or closed at times without notice

• TSA Pre✓® members are still be subject to random selection for intensified screening

• TSA Pre✓® program has changed from an airline elite invitation program to a fee-based program with certain screening requirements

• If one's TSA Pre✓® status is from the pilot invitation program and one doesn't have a Known Traveler Number ("KTN"), TSA Pre✓® status may not carry on to another airline and one may experience increasing denials (not having the TSA Pre✓® printed on boarding pass and being sent to the regular TSA screening queues

Link to TSA Application Program and TSA Pre✓® program information, links

Changes to TSA Pre✓®

TSA Pre✓® was originally offered by certain airlines to their elite status members. These TSA Pre✓® members do not have a Known Traveler Number from a USDHS trusted traveler program (GOES / Global Entry, NEXUS, SENTRI or the new $85 fee based TSA Pre✓® Application Program offered to the flying public with 5 year renewal), making TSA Pre✓® status portability challenging. See the DHS Trusted Traveler programs listing and comparison chart here. Please read the following:

From American Airlines, April 2015:

This month, the Transportation Security Administration (TSA) is making changes to the TSA Pre✓® Trusted Traveler Program that will impact which travelers receive expedited screening. If you're not already a member of one of the Trusted Traveler programs like Global Entry or the TSA Pre✓® Application Program, you will probably see a decline in how often you receive expedited screening, even if you've previously "opted-in" through a frequent flyer program.

The best way to increase your chances of receiving TSA Pre✓® on a regular basis is to register for a Trusted Traveler Program with the Department of Homeland Security at dhs.gov/tt. Once you receive your Known Traveler Number (KTN) from TSA, be sure you update your AAdvantage profile.

To add your KTN to your AAdvantage profile:
  • Login to your account on aa.com and select My Account from the AAdvantage menu
  • Within My Account, go to the Information and Password tab
  • Add your Customs and Border Protection 9-digit PASS ID to your secure traveler information
For more information on TSA Pre✓®, visit tsa.gov/tsa-precheck.
Print Wikipost

[Archived] TSA Pre-Check / PreCheck Known Traveler program for AA FFs

Search this Thread

Old Sep 26, 2012, 2:23 am

Programs: AA EXP/2.9mm | Marriott LT Titanium 1.6k nights | NEXUS
Originally Posted by FlyMeToTheLooneyBin
Could you have just said that the contents of the plastic bag with sandwich and chips will have been consumed before you boarded?
I could have, but I just listened and agreed and went on my way. He was just doing what he thought was important and was satisfied that I listened to him - which I did - and I dutifully agreed that one would go in the overhead. The sandwich bag was forgotten after that.
Old Sep 26, 2012, 8:57 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA LTG (EXP), Hilton Silver (Dia), Marriott LTP (PP), SPG LTG (P) > MPG LTPP
Originally Posted by newyorkgeorge
She was implying that you could not physically get to the AS BR if you used the Security Checkpoint that had Precheck. But again after I went through it seemed as though all Security Checkpoints at SEA led to a central area between concourses.
This begs the question: Has the TSA agent ever been past their assigned post and have any knowledge of which she speaks? My guess not. I was standing in a hotel room with two beds when I called the front desk and was told I was wrong, that the room had a single king! Hmmmmm
Old Sep 26, 2012, 4:05 pm

Any one know when we can expect to see TSA pre-check for AA at DCA? I saw a sign at the at the mid-pier check-point (gates 23-34) last week that says it is coming soon, but didn't see an ETA.
Old Sep 26, 2012, 4:37 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Ross0
Any one know when we can expect to see TSA pre-check for AA at DCA?
Soon.

Old Sep 26, 2012, 4:50 pm

Programs: AMEX Platinum, Global Entry, Priority Pass, SPG Gold, HHonors Gold
Originally Posted by Ross0
Any one know when we can expect to see TSA pre-check for AA at DCA?
Have you tried using PreCheck at the north pier, then taking the shuttle to the central pier? The line-minder there may object to the AA boarding pass, but if it is encoded for PreCheck, it will scan LLL.
Old Sep 26, 2012, 5:08 pm

Programs: AA EXP/2.9mm | Marriott LT Titanium 1.6k nights | NEXUS
Originally Posted by hillrider
Soon.

Soon would be cool.^
Old Sep 26, 2012, 8:54 pm

Programs: AA (EP), Hilton (Diamond), Marriott Bonvoy (Titanium)
Pre-Check can only be used when flying on one of the participating airlines, right? So if I have to fly Southwest out of SJC, I'm SOL for Pre-Check?
Old Sep 26, 2012, 8:56 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Amex Gold/Plat, UA *G, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott LT Gold, NEXUS, TSA Disparager Unobtanium
Originally Posted by anabolism
Pre-Check can only be used when flying on one of the participating airlines, right? So if I have to fly Southwest out of SJC, I'm SOL for Pre-Check?
Yes.

(also, SJC doesn't have Pre-Check)
Old Sep 26, 2012, 9:08 pm

Programs: AA EXP, HHonors Diamond
I'm flying an AA codeshare on AS metal out of SEA and my AS boarding pass barcode includes the 3. I'm expecting this to give me the LLL. I'll update once confirmed.

FWIW, I also have an AS profile with my PASS ID.
Old Sep 26, 2012, 9:09 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Amex Gold/Plat, UA *G, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott LT Gold, NEXUS, TSA Disparager Unobtanium
Originally Posted by Neutron Star
I'm flying an AA codeshare on AS metal out of SEA and my AS boarding pass barcode includes the 3. I'm expecting this to give me the LLL. I'll update once confirmed.

FWIW, I also have an AS profile with my PASS ID.
You should be good to go. I had a ticket with an AA codeshare on AS metal, and had no problems with LLL on either segment. Enjoy ^
Old Sep 26, 2012, 9:25 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP 1.7 M, Hilton Gold, Hertz 5*, AARP Sophomore, 14-time Croix de Candlestick
Originally Posted by saunders111
I have no middle name, and precheck seems to work for me.
I also have no middle name, and am at 100% success originating from MIA, LAS and LAX.
Old Sep 26, 2012, 9:31 pm

Programs: AA PLT 3MM
Originally Posted by Non-NonRev
I also have no middle name, and am at 100% success originating from MIA, LAS and LAX.
There is no requirement per-se to have a middle name, or to use one if you do have one. The requirement is that when you have PreCheck through both airline invite and GE then the names must match between the entry in GOES and your FF account. For example, if your GE card gives your name as JOHN MICHAEL BLOGS while your Aadvantage account is in the name of JOHN BLOGS then PreCheck will fail because the names don't match.
Old Sep 26, 2012, 11:20 pm

Programs: AA (EP), Hilton (Diamond), Marriott Bonvoy (Titanium)
Originally Posted by FriendlySkies
(also, SJC doesn't have Pre-Check)
Oh, sorry, my error. Good news is now I don't feel as bad about needing to fly Southwest.
Old Sep 27, 2012, 7:01 am
Senior Moderator and Moderator: American AAdvantage & TravelBuzz

Programs: AA EXP, Marriott Titanium
You should be good to go. I had a ticket with an AA codeshare on AS metal, and had no problems with LLL on either segment. Enjoy ^
I'll add my experience to the list... I, too, was flying an AA codeshare on AS metal out of SEA. My GE info is only entered in my AA account. Was able to checkin at an AS kiosk, got in the Pre-Check line, and got my 3 beeps.
Old Sep 27, 2012, 1:22 pm

Programs: AA EXP, HHonors Diamond
Originally Posted by JY1024:19393305
I'll add my experience to the list... I, too, was flying an AA codeshare on AS metal out of SEA. My GE info is only entered in my AA account. Was able to checkin at an AS kiosk, got in the Pre-Check line, and got my 3 beeps.
You're both correct. Got the LLL and went right through.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.