Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

[Archived] TSA Pre-Check / PreCheck Known Traveler program for AA FFs

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Dec 26, 2012, 9:58 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: JDiver
TSA Pre-Check / PreCheck Known Traveler program for AA FFs (consolidated)

You are eligible to be selected (on a flight-by-flight basis) for TSA PreCheck expedited screening if:
  • You are a frequent American Airlines flyer that have been invited by American Airlines to participate and followed the instructions on the email to accept, or/and
  • You participate in a "Trusted Traveler" program (Global Entry, NEXUS, SENTRI and/or TSA PreCheck application program) and have entered your "Known Traveler ID" in the reservation
    • If you're using your AAdvantage number, you can enter the "Known Traveler ID" in the Personal Information and Password tab of My Account) so it will auto-populate in all new reservations bearing the AAdvantage number made anywhere
    • If your reservation doesn't have your AAdvantage number, you can retrieve it and add the "Known Traveler ID" to it. The method is not very intuitive: on AA.com click on my trips, then on view all, then on find my reservation and enter either the record locator (if you know it), or the flight information using the AA operating flight number (not any eventual codeshare number from another airline).
    • Your Secure Flight Information (name, sex, DOB) in the reservation must match the one with the program (except for "middle" or other names, which are ignored) (name on ticket does not matter)
    • You will find your "Known Traveler ID" on the GOES website or on your program's card, under the name "PASSID". It is either 9 digits or the letters TT plus 7 digits
You will know if you have been selected on a particular flight if the wording or logo "TSA PreCheck" appear on your boarding pass.

NOTE: 20 May 2016: "Todays announcement makes a total of 16 carriers that participate in TSA Pre✓: Aeromexico, Air Canada, Alaska Airlines, Allegiant, American Airlines, Cape Air, Delta Air Lines, Etihad Airways, Hawaiian Airlines, JetBlue Airways, Seaborne Airlines, Southwest Airlines, Sun Country Airlines, United Airlines, Virgin America and WestJet.

Passengers who are eligible for TSA Pre✓ include: members of the TSA Pre✓ application program, U.S. Customs and Border Protection (CBP) Trusted Traveler program, Global Entry, and Canadian citizens who are members of CBPs NEXUS program. TSA Pre✓ is also available for U.S. Armed Forces service members, including those serving in the U.S. Coast Guard, Reserves and National Guard."

Link

How it works

In the Pre-Check lane, you no longer need to remove the following items:
  • Shoes (some, such as steel-toed shoes, may require removal)
  • 3-1-1 compliant bag from your carry-on (all liquid restrictions still apply)
  • Laptop from your bag (if electronics are stacked on top of each other, they require removal)
  • Light outerwear or jacket
  • Belt (large belt buckles may require removal)
  • Pre-Check Lanes are WTMD only-- No NoS in use
LOCATIONS

Link to FlyerGuide Wiki listing of American Airlines (only) PreCheck checkpoints.

Link to FT thread AA Airport / Concourse TSA PreCheck - Hours [only] (may not be current)

See also post 1 of this thread. (It contains much additional info in the Moderator's Note.)

NOTE: PreCheck is changing to a Trusted Traveler (GE/NEXUS/SENTRI) -like program, where anyone will be able apply and pay USD $85 (online or at a PreCheck enrollment center), be vetted for approval, present proof of identification and be fingerprinted at a PreCheck enrollment center (IAD and IND, opening Fall 2013, will be thie first), and be granted PreCheck status for five years from that time. It will not be airline - or airline status - tied.

"Current PreCheck participants, including those eligible via a CBP Trusted Traveler Program such as Global Entry, will continue to receive PreCheck eligibility. Participants who opted-in through their airline frequent flyer program may want to consider applying for PreCheck, as they are more likely to be selected for PreCheck expedited screening more often if they are vetted via the PreCheck application process." Link.

Trusted Traveler (Global Entry, Nexus, Sentri) and Having Problems with PreCheck?

If you belong to one of the Trusted Traveler Programs listed above, you may run into issues getting PreCheck clearance if your Secure Flight Data is not an exact match to the data that you entered into your application on the GOES (Global Online Enrollment System) website when you applied for your TT membership.

For example, if your airline account has Bob Jones, but your GOES account has Bob James Jones, then the TSA may not be associating your information properly when it "decides" who can and can not have access. Additionally, if your PASS ID # (listed above in the screen-shots) is not an exact match, there will be a mismatch when TSA processes your information, and you will not receive PreCheck.

To ensure you receive PreCheck on all flights (domestic & internatioal), be sure to ensure the information in your AA profile is accurate. The name on the ticket does not matter- the "Secure Flight Data" is what is used to determine PreCheck status.

Signed in members with 90 days / 90 posts can edit this Wikipost; wiki contents may be printed by using the (lower right wiki corner)

TSA Pre✓ / PreCheck / Pre Check Issues, Changes, etc.

Known issues:

• Not every airport or terminal offers the TSA Pre✓ program

• TSA Pre✓ may have limited or irregular hours or closed at times without notice

• TSA Pre✓ members are still be subject to random selection for intensified screening

• TSA Pre✓ program has changed from an airline elite invitation program to a fee-based program with certain screening requirements

• If one's TSA Pre✓ status is from the pilot invitation program and one doesn't have a Known Traveler Number ("KTN"), TSA Pre✓ status may not carry on to another airline and one may experience increasing denials (not having the TSA Pre✓ printed on boarding pass and being sent to the regular TSA screening queues

Link to TSA Application Program and TSA Pre✓ program information, links

Changes to TSA Pre✓

TSA Pre✓ was originally offered by certain airlines to their elite status members. These TSA Pre✓ members do not have a Known Traveler Number from a USDHS trusted traveler program (GOES / Global Entry, NEXUS, SENTRI or the new $85 fee based TSA Pre✓ Application Program offered to the flying public with 5 year renewal), making TSA Pre✓ status portability challenging. See the DHS Trusted Traveler programs listing and comparison chart here. Please read the following:

From American Airlines, April 2015:

This month, the Transportation Security Administration (TSA) is making changes to the TSA Pre✓ Trusted Traveler Program that will impact which travelers receive expedited screening. If you're not already a member of one of the Trusted Traveler programs like Global Entry or the TSA Pre✓ Application Program, you will probably see a decline in how often you receive expedited screening, even if you've previously "opted-in" through a frequent flyer program.

The best way to increase your chances of receiving TSA Pre✓ on a regular basis is to register for a Trusted Traveler Program with the Department of Homeland Security at dhs.gov/tt. Once you receive your Known Traveler Number (KTN) from TSA, be sure you update your AAdvantage profile.

To add your KTN to your AAdvantage profile:
  • Login to your account on aa.com and select My Account from the AAdvantage menu
  • Within My Account, go to the Information and Password tab
  • Add your Customs and Border Protection 9-digit PASS ID to your secure traveler information
For more information on TSA Pre✓, visit tsa.gov/tsa-precheck.
Print Wikipost

[Archived] TSA Pre-Check / PreCheck Known Traveler program for AA FFs

Search this Thread

Old Oct 22, 2013, 11:24 am

SJU -- Pre-Check has arrived at The AA security area.

Everything went great !
Old Oct 22, 2013, 11:39 am

Programs: Bonvoy Amb; AA EXP
I've had clueless folks in front of me in both BOS and SFO over the last couple of weeks. In both situations it seemed as though english was a challenge. We should have known that this was going to get messed up at some point.

My ask would be that in order to qualify to go through Precheck that you have to pass an exam.

I have to admit, however, that I have found the Precheck at LGA for the USair Shuttle a godsend, though I think it may be causing much longer standard lines.
Old Oct 22, 2013, 12:47 pm

Programs: AA EXP and Eurostar Carte Blanche
Originally Posted by lovely15
My last 3-4 flights have involved connections and only the initial boarding pass is marked PreCheck. However, when I run the barcode on the second segment boarding pass, I still get a 3. I'm guessing they assume you won't leave the secure area during a connection, but some of us do occasionally.
Same here. During a recent connection at LAX, I noticed that my onward boarding pass was not marked with the PreCheck logo, even though I had indeed received PreCheck for my first segment. When I left the airport for lunch, I went to the counter and asked for a new boarding pass before I re-entered the secure area. This is what I got:

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

And yes, I did get PreCheck
Old Oct 22, 2013, 2:59 pm

Programs: Marriott Bonvoy Ambassador, AA EXP
Originally Posted by dmsdfw
This may be related to some of the pre-screening discussed in this article: http://www.nytimes.com/2013/10/22/bu...e-you-fly.html

It is interesting that the airlines are required to provide TSA with passport numbers, if they have them, even for domestic flights and that it is these that are used as a search key.
Employment information? It seems like the TSA is going to do a background check on everyone. So then what is the point of the $85 check? To have a higher rate of success?
Old Oct 22, 2013, 3:00 pm

Location: USA & UK -- AA EXP 3.5MM, Hyatt Diamond, SPG Plat, Avis President's Club
I often scan my BPs with a barcode app, just for the fun of it. I have noticed the same thing. My first BP has pre-check (barcode has a 3 in the right position) while onward BPs usually do NOT have it. I admit that it has been a few months since I last checked this.
Originally Posted by lovely15
I'm curious about PreCheck printed on the boarding passes. My last 3-4 flights have involved connections and only the initial boarding pass is marked PreCheck. However, when I run the barcode on the second segment boarding pass, I still get a 3. I'm guessing they assume you won't leave the secure area during a connection, but some of us do occasionally. Has anyone else noticed this or had a problem getting PreCheck on the second segment because the boarding pass isn't marked?
Old Oct 22, 2013, 3:25 pm

Originally Posted by dstan
1) I've had PreCheck since the program was first offered and, for the first time that I can remember, did NOT get it last week at JFK. I made the checker scan another BP because I didn't believe it, but he was right, of course, it's not guaranteed. Inopportune as I was traveling with Mrs. dstan and Lil' Miss dstan, who both proceeded to the PreCheck lane without me.

2) I think I read somewhere that non-elites will start getting PreCheck randomly - is that true? Yesterday at SFO a gentleman was sent over to the PreCheck line from the regular line after his BP gave the 3-beep salute. He was in front of me and started taking out his laptop and liquids until I told him he didn't have to - he seemed utterly and truly confused (and alarmed the WTMD twice because he still had his watch and cell phone...). Unfortunately, Mrs. dstan and Lil' Miss dstan got stuck behind him (yes, my bad).
Ugh, no matter how I put this, it will sound bad so let me just call it like it is. The Kettles are ruining PreCheck. Flying out of LIH this morning and a group in front of my wife and I got cleared for PreCheck. The usual fumbling around of people trying to remove shoes, liquids, electronics, etc.

One guy flat out refused to NOT remove everything. He insisted he had nothing to hide and wanted to prove he wasn't a bad guy. WTH? What has this country become when people buy into the crap we need to prove we are not terrorists? Waited forever while he removed liquids, flipflops, belt, watch, keys, a 500 sheet ream of receipts, phone, wallet, laptop, tablet, and about $129.83 in change. Darn it, if Joe Pussycat wants the TSA Scope N' Grope, he should have been booted to the standard screening line.

Thankfully the interisland terminal connects airside to the overseas terminal. Going through the Kettle Korn Popper once per day is enough for me.
Old Oct 22, 2013, 3:58 pm

Originally Posted by WChou
Ugh, no matter how I put this, it will sound bad so let me just call it like it is. The Kettles are ruining PreCheck. Flying out of LIH this morning and a group in front of my wife and I got cleared for PreCheck. The usual fumbling around of people trying to remove shoes, liquids, electronics, etc.

One guy flat out refused to NOT remove everything. He insisted he had nothing to hide and wanted to prove he wasn't a bad guy. WTH? What has this country become when people buy into the crap we need to prove we are not terrorists? Waited forever while he removed liquids, flipflops, belt, watch, keys, a 500 sheet ream of receipts, phone, wallet, laptop, tablet, and about $129.83 in change. Darn it, if Joe Pussycat wants the TSA Scope N' Grope, he should have been booted to the standard screening line.

Thankfully the interisland terminal connects airside to the overseas terminal. Going through the Kettle Korn Popper once per day is enough for me.
Is it ok to say "Fine, you do that. Just let me go first" and push past him in these kinds of situations? I'm normally a one bag guy so I just plop my bag down and walk through the WTMD. Fortunately I've never encountered these situations yet..
Old Oct 22, 2013, 5:51 pm

Programs: AA EXP/2.9mm | Marriott LT Titanium 1.6k nights | NEXUS
Originally Posted by Apieinthesky
Is it ok to say "Fine, you do that. Just let me go first" and push past him in these kinds of situations? I'm normally a one bag guy so I just plop my bag down and walk through the WTMD. Fortunately I've never encountered these situations yet..
Yes, I've done that in Pre. The watch, iPhone and keys are already in the zippered jacket pocket, so I've just walked past the confused with my 1 bin w/jacket and carryon. I asked but got no response one way or another 2 of 3 times this happened recently. Don't see the value in explaining the rules in Pre. Key is to grab a bin ASAP and move as you see fit, courteously and with reasonable timing. It's not rude at all.

I wasn't annoyed whatsoever when a guy did that to me once in Pre w/no kettles (but he logically may have thought I was one) when I had a brief moment of panic thinking I had forgotten the phone and did about 20 sec of jacket pocket groping/checking the top carryon pocket. In fact I had already stepped aside about the same time he asked. I would say about 30 sec in a Pre line is enough for anyone with any common sense to figure out the protocol. After all, even if it's the 1st time I assume (except for the oblivions among us) there is basic situational awareness from watching the person ahead of you..
Old Oct 22, 2013, 6:07 pm

Originally Posted by AATrout
Yes, I've done that in Pre. The watch, iPhone and keys are already in the zippered jacket pocket, so I've just walked past the confused with my 1 bin w/jacket and carryon. I asked but got no response one way or another 2 of 3 times this happened recently. Don't see the value in explaining the rules in Pre. Key is to grab a bin ASAP and move as you see fit, courteously and with reasonable timing. It's not rude at all.

I wasn't annoyed whatsoever when a guy did that to me once in Pre w/no kettles (but he logically may have thought I was one) when I had a brief moment of panic thinking I had forgotten the phone and did about 20 sec of jacket pocket groping/checking the top carryon pocket. In fact I had already stepped aside about the same time he asked. I would say about 30 sec in a Pre line is enough for anyone with any common sense to figure out the protocol. After all, even if it's the 1st time I assume (except for the oblivions among us) there is basic situational awareness from watching the person ahead of you..
Good to know. That was a legitimate question as I've never done that before, but have been considering it recently while reading all the posts about the kettles in PreCheck lines.

I often don't even need a bin due to the short length of most of my trips. I just slip my keys and phone into a pocket in my brief, and off I go.
Old Oct 23, 2013, 1:05 am

Programs: AA EXP, 2MM, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by ExpatExp
Same here. During a recent connection at LAX, I noticed that my onward boarding pass was not marked with the PreCheck logo, even though I had indeed received PreCheck for my first segment. When I left the airport for lunch, I went to the counter and asked for a new boarding pass before I re-entered the secure area. This is what I got:

Uploaded with ImageShack.us

And yes, I did get PreCheck
I got the same red sticker at LAX yesterday when I got a new boarding pass. Freaked me out at first - it doesn't look very official - but the bar code worked fine for me too.

And yes, lots of precheck kettles yesterday. Precheck line was longer than the regular priority access line, although both moved fast enough. In the past there was a TSA agent at the precheck line telling everyone to leave their stuff in their bags but yesterday we were on our own, I had to tell the guy in front of me how it worked.
Old Oct 23, 2013, 1:11 am

Programs: AA EXP, 2MM, HH Diamond
Originally Posted by WChou
Ugh, second PreCheck experience at SJC was miserable. Seem the airport does everything possible to shoot itself in the foot. When I wrote regarding Precheck, I got the "we want to cater to frequent traveler" message. Based on the last experience, I saw the usual "everyone is equal and those uppity frequent flyers will be punished for trying to be more."

Everyone and their mothers, fathers, uncles, second cousins from two marriages ago seemed to jump into the PreCheck line simply because it was the first and shortest line available. No enforcement of whether any was actually PreCheck eligible. Once past the TDC, it was a cluster of people removing their shoes, taking out their laptops, getting out their kippie bags, and fumbling around like chicken with their heads cut off. The usual TSA folks just stood their like slack jawed yokels watching it all happen. My usually patient wife just about lost it as she told people, "leave your shoes on, leave the laptop in, keep the sweater on. Move, go, go, go, go!" Well, looks like it back to SFO for me.
Precheck line at SJC wasn't open at all when I was there yesterday, both in the morning when I arrived in SJC and in the afternoon when I departed. When I went through security they put me in a normal line (only 1 station open) but said I had "modified precheck" which basically just meant I went through the metal detector, they still made me remove my laptop.
Old Oct 23, 2013, 9:31 am
brp
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, BA Silver, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton diamond, Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by hbtr
Precheck line at SJC wasn't open at all when I was there yesterday, both in the morning when I arrived in SJC and in the afternoon when I departed. When I went through security they put me in a normal line (only 1 station open) but said I had "modified precheck" which basically just meant I went through the metal detector, they still made me remove my laptop.
Contact them about this. I've written to the SJC folks, and they indicated that they really don't know how TSA are implementing this, but to call TSA at SJC (408-961-5374).

Of course, the couple of times I've called, the voice message says that they're away starting Oct. 1 for the "funding hiatus" and will be back when it's over. So, I'm beginning to see part of the problem

But, seriously, call and leave a message. This is a really bad implementation and they won't fix it unless people say something. They still may not fix it, of course

Cheers.
Old Oct 23, 2013, 12:14 pm

Programs: AA & DL / SPG & HGP
Originally Posted by hbtr
I got the same red sticker at LAX yesterday when I got a new boarding pass. Freaked me out at first - it doesn't look very official - but the bar code worked fine for me too.
I don't understand any worry if the BP has "Pre" or any notation of Pre like a red dot or otherwise (I forgot what AA uses, "TRVLCK" or something)? All that matters is if it scans LLL. A BP that has no notation but a barcode that scans LLL gets one through just fine.

Last edited by canyonleo; Oct 23, 2013 at 12:21 pm
Old Oct 23, 2013, 12:43 pm

Originally Posted by canyonleo
I don't understand any worry if the BP has "Pre" or any notation of Pre like a red dot or otherwise (I forgot what AA uses, "TRVLCK" or something)? All that matters is if it scans LLL. A BP that has no notation but a barcode that scans LLL gets one through just fine.
It's just a delay into knowing whether you get Pre-check or not. If you're used to seeing the notation, and everyone else has it, but you don't, then you start to worry that something abnormal is occurring.
Old Oct 23, 2013, 3:58 pm

Does DTW have Pre for AA? Wiki says no, http://www.tsa.gov/tsa-precheck/tsa-...ng-airports#42 says yes, North, Blue 2?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.