Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

ARCHIVE: LUS Boeing 757-200 (B75H Hawaii version) [RETIRED FROM FLEET]

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Nov 26, 2015, 11:40 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: JDiver
Legacy US Airways / America West 757-2S7 ("B75H") to / from Hawai'i
Returning to Lessor mid-2018

This "West" or "Hawaii" (B75H) (ex-HP) aircraft is distinguished by offering 14 First class seats (2x2 across, 38" pitch, ~20" width reclining seats), 176 standard "Main Cabin" / economy seats (3x3 across, 32" pitch, 17" width) including 10? exit row seats designated Main Cabin Extra.

These aircraft are being retired from AA service and returned to their lessor and will be replaced by the Legacy U. S. Airways "East" (non-HP, US 757-2B7 / B57E with 12 "Envoy" angled flat 2 x 2 seats in First, 164 standard "Main Cabin" seats with 12 exit row seats designated MCE, beginning in April 2018. (Thanks to TWA884 - see here.)

No power, no IFE; at least the LHP "West" 752s (like the LAA "Eisenhower" F seats) have no head rests.

Print Wikipost

ARCHIVE: LUS Boeing 757-200 (B75H Hawaii version) [RETIRED FROM FLEET]

Search this Thread

Old Oct 29, 2015, 9:17 am

Programs: AA Lifetime PLT, HH Diamond, Fairmont RIP, Hertz Plat, BA Gold
Originally Posted by Centurion
the AA web site says aircraft is a 752. So I guess a 757-200 with one side having only three rows and the other four rows. I still can not find the seat config anywhere. I am a US air flyer so that is why I wrote AC side or DE side
http://www.seatguru.com/airlines/US_..._757-200_C.php
Old Oct 29, 2015, 9:30 am

Programs: AA Executive Platinum
Originally Posted by aztimm
I think this is the old HP 757, that currently does the Hawaii runs from Phoenix.

Here's the master thread on this aircraft (I'll merge it after I can verify it is the correct aircraft type):
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/ameri...er-thread.html
Exactly. Once in a while it will operate a turn to DCA, CUN, or other random destinations on the east coast.
Old Oct 29, 2015, 9:39 am
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
This is exactly what it is. Just flew it on Sunday. It's an old HP bird with the jam-packed 14F, a couple of rows of Y in what would be more of the F cabin on a non-LCC configuration, and then the regular jammed Y cabin.

Others may disagree, but the best seat on this aircraft is at the gate watching it pushback. Sometimes it's unavoidable because the service to & from DCA is so convenient, but it is a lousy and worn aircraft.
Old Oct 29, 2015, 9:47 am

Best seat at the gate

<<Best seat at the gate watching the plane push back>>. Thank you for the laugh.
Old Oct 29, 2015, 10:26 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: HH Gold, AA Gold
Originally Posted by Often1
This is exactly what it is. Just flew it on Sunday. It's an old HP bird with the jam-packed 14F, a couple of rows of Y in what would be more of the F cabin on a non-LCC configuration, and then the regular jammed Y cabin.

Others may disagree, but the best seat on this aircraft is at the gate watching it pushback. Sometimes it's unavoidable because the service to & from DCA is so convenient, but it is a lousy and worn aircraft.
It is clear that the old HP planes leave something to be desired. But I would rather be ON the plane going to Hawaii than sitting in the gate area. At least, the Y cabin has 32" pitch. It's interesting that the perception is the Y cabin is "jam packed" when 32" pitch is more than some other aircraft in the fleet.
Old Oct 30, 2015, 10:39 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: HH Gold, AA Gold
Originally Posted by Fanjet
BTW, I thought it was Tom Horton who placed the order for the 321NEOs (prior to the merger), not Doug Parker.
Doug Parker was ordering A321's for LUS before the merger was announced. Since Parker knew that LUS would eventually need a new aircraft for PHX-Hawaii flights, he asked Airbus at the time if they could ensure that the A321 NEO would have sufficient range for the Hawaii flights. Perhaps that's why they came up with the A321LR NEO.
Old Oct 30, 2015, 3:23 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA:EXP/1MM. Accor/Radisson:Silver; HH:Gold; ICH:Plt Amb.
Originally Posted by formeraa
Doug Parker was ordering A321's for LUS before the merger was announced. Since Parker knew that LUS would eventually need a new aircraft for PHX-Hawaii flights, he asked Airbus at the time if they could ensure that the A321 NEO would have sufficient range for the Hawaii flights. Perhaps that's why they came up with the A321LR NEO.
The 321LR NEO is really a recent project. Airbus did toy with the idea at the time of the 321NEO development. But what was the deterrent for the LR version was the need for different wings, stronger wheel undercarriage, taller tail/stabilizer, and such. So it kind of was shelved. Now it seems to be back on the table. With the modifications. And IIRC, a slightly longer fuselage. I think Airbus is going ahead with the project not because of Hawaii (although that is a selling point (DEN/SLC/PHX-Hawaii), but because of NA-Europe and ME Gulf States-Europe/Asia. When the 763s and 757s go to the scrapyard, the "smallest" option left is the 788 (which has more capacity than the 763).

As for PHX-Hawaii, I think the airline will stick with the 321H. Is it confirmed that they have the extra fuel tank? As some say they are just ETOPS certified. The longest PHX-Hawaii flight is around 2900 miles. And moreover, there aren't that many flights to begin with. Perhaps this 321H subfleet will just be dedicated to LAX/PHX-Hawaii flying. And the 321NEOS be blended in with the general 321 fleet. Otherwise, they'd have to have all of the NEO versions ETOPS certified.

Last edited by Fanjet; Oct 30, 2015 at 3:32 pm
Old Nov 3, 2015, 3:05 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
IHG Contributor Badge

Programs: AA Lifetime PLT, Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium, Hilton Gold
As for PHX-Hawaii, I think the airline will stick with the 321H. Is it confirmed that they have the extra fuel tank? As some say they are just ETOPS certified. The longest PHX-Hawaii flight is around 2900 miles. And moreover, there aren't that many flights to begin with. Perhaps this 321H subfleet will just be dedicated to LAX/PHX-Hawaii flying. And the 321NEOS be blended in with the general 321 fleet. Otherwise, they'd have to have all of the NEO versions ETOPS certified.
What about summer heat in PHX and DEN? Will the 321H be able to do the route?
Old Nov 3, 2015, 8:08 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

The current plan, according to Parker and Kirby, is for the East 757s to cover for the retiring West 757s until 2018 when the 737MAX will take over the PHX-HI routes.

The A321H lacks the range to fly PHX-HI. IMO, if they were smart, AA would also replace the A321H with the 737MAX, enabling full loads each direction regardless of the season.
Old Nov 3, 2015, 1:30 pm

Programs: HH Diamond, IHG Diamond Amb., Marriott Gold, FB Plat, BAEC Silver
Please start tomorrow with the east 757's on that route ;-).
Old Nov 3, 2015, 9:02 pm

Originally Posted by phlwookie
This tweet reports that N205UW and N937UW are in BFM undergoing reconfiguration to a Hawaii 757 config for PHX-Hawaii:

https://twitter.com/AirlineUSA/statu...03620183003137

The information from that account is usually highly reliable. It'll be interesting to see what they come out with. I suspect I'm going to want to avoid it, just like the ex-HP 757s currently doing those routes.
Any word on how this is going or what the result is?

Could the reconfiguration for N205UW be complete? According to FlightAware, it made a stop in Amarillo (paint job?) and now is in flight to PHX. Take this with a grain of salt, because Flightaware also lists the plane as having been reconfigured from a 757 to a 320 then to a 321.
Old Nov 4, 2015, 12:32 am

Programs: BAEC GGL, Lounge Key, Accor basic, AY basic, HHonors Diamond
From this very useful app:
http://www.myflightsapp.com/
Old Nov 4, 2015, 12:36 am

Programs: AA EXP
Originally Posted by jp_fin
From this very useful app:
http://www.myflightsapp.com/
Thanks--looks cool. I'll have to take a look!
Old Nov 4, 2015, 3:14 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
IHG Contributor Badge

Programs: AA Lifetime PLT, Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by jongesander
Please start tomorrow with the east 757's on that route ;-).
IF they do it will be a nice ride over and back !!
Old Nov 4, 2015, 7:02 am

Programs: AA EXP, Marriott Lifetime Plat, SPG Plat, AMEX Plat, Hertz PC, Travels too Much Platinum
Originally Posted by FlightNurse
IF they do it will be a nice ride over and back !!
Well, two East 757s are being reconfigured now in Mobile AL and we're concerned that they'll be in an equally poor config to the ex-HP 757s they're replacing.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.