Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Jul 21, 2017, 11:02 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: JDiver
The AA (Legacy US Airways) Airbus Industrie A330-200

AA announced retirement of the A330-200 in the Oct 2020 earnings report.

Status of reconfiguration
N279AY - NEW
N280AY - NEW
N281AY - NEW
N282AY - NEW
N283AY - NEW
N284AY - NEW
N285AY - NEW
N286AY - NEW
N287AY - NEW
N288AY - NEW
N289AY - NEW
N290AY - NEW
N291AY - NEW
N292AY - NEW
N293AY - NEW
UNDER CONSTRUCTION

NOTE: The 15 A330-200 (with Rolls Royce Trent 700 engines) are being retained and updated. (The nine Pratt & Whitney equipped A330-300s have been scheduled for retirement (return to lessor at lease end) by late 2018 due to poor "fit" in the AA fleet (link).) The A330-200s will continue, however, and the launch of the retrofitted A330-200 will see
  • 20 Zodiac "Envoy" type Business seats in a 1-2-1 layout (1 blocked for pilot rest)
  • 21 Premium Economy (B/E Aerospace) seats in a 2-3-2 layout
  • 50 Main Cabin Extra seats (same seats as Y, just greater seat pitch) 2-4-2 (2 blocked for customers requiring customer assistance)
  • Main Cabin / Economy seats also 2-4-2
  • Ku band satellite based Panasonic WiFi
  • Individual personal entertainment screens for every seat
  • Seat power
  • Noise reduction headsets - Bose in Business, others for Premium Economy

Premium Economy and extended Main Cabin Extra has been installed on the A330-200 fleet. Until 15 Jan 2018, PE seats were available to Elites as MCE on those aircraft with PE; PE are available for sale on that date.

Link to A330-200 PE and MCE additions article on The Points Guy

Link to Combined AA Fleet page

Link to (non-AA) American Fleet Site, A330-200 page.

For the specific thread about the Zodiac "Envoy" Business seat, please see AA A330 "Envoy" Lie Flat All Aisle Access Business Seats (master thread)

Also see the older, archived thread on Envoy seating on the A330: A330-200 Envoy Suites

Link to Seatguru for AA A330-200

Envoy / Business (20):
* Rows 1 to 7, 4 across, private "suites", all aisle access
* Seats A and H have windows and angle out toward windows
* Seats C and F are both in the middle, angle in toward center (no windows)
* In seat entertainment with personally selectable programming
* Bose noise reduction headsets on long-haul International flights
* Empower 110 VAC / 150 VA and USB power

Premium Economy (21):
* Rows 6, 7 and 8 in 2-3-2 layout
* Seat pitch 38"
* Seat width 18.5"
* Non-Bose noise reduction headsets on longhaul
* Empower 110 VAC / 150 VA and USB power

Main Cabin Extra (54):
* Bulkhead and Exit seats
* Others seem to be in non-standard layout
* Seat width 16.3-17.8"
* Empower 110 VAC / 150 VA

Economy (152):
* Seat pitch 31-32"
* Seat width 16.3-17.8"
* Exits at row 23
* Empower 110 VAC / 150 VA

New Livery (AA-style) of the A330-300: A333 in New Livery

Signed in members with 90 days / 90 posts can edit this Wikipost to update; contents may be printed by using the (lower right wiki corner)

Print Wikipost

Airbus A330-200 / 332 [master thread]

Search this Thread

Old Oct 16, 2012, 11:36 am

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond, AA Gold, FB Gold, ITA Volare Executive
Originally Posted by Epsi
I'm flying tlv-phl on an a332 and got 7H. US airways seatmap lists it as a premium seat. On their map, posted in this thread earlier, 6GH are missing. In seatguru, however, there are 6GH seats (which get mixed reviews as they are bulkhead). Do you know what is going on there? I can choose also 6B. Is it better?

Thanks a lot!
6G and 6H exist. Not sure why they are not shown. Thus, don’t count on extra legroom with 7H. Also, do you really want to have to hop over someone to use the can on an 11 hour (or whatever) flight?

Speaking of the cans (toilets)… they will be right in front of you in either 6A and 6B or 6G and 6H. Difference is, that on the right-hand side they are supposed to be for the Envoy folks only. So there should be less traffic, although this may or may not be enforced by the crew. I have different views about this depending on which side of the current I am riding on.

I used to try to get 6B nonetheless, but it’s a mixed bag. True, no one can put their seat back on you. On the other hand, if you are tall, there is a bulkhead, and really nowhere for legs to go. I try now to get aisle on left-side (more cans!) next to for-sale seats in hope I will get empty next to me. (Well, what I really try to do is get into Envoy.)
Old Oct 16, 2012, 11:55 am

Originally Posted by Biggie Fries
6G and 6H exist. Not sure why they are not shown. Thus, don’t count on extra legroom with 7H. Also, do you really want to have to hop over someone to use the can on an 11 hour (or whatever) flight?

Speaking of the cans (toilets)… they will be right in front of you in either 6A and 6B or 6G and 6H. Difference is, that on the right-hand side they are supposed to be for the Envoy folks only. So there should be less traffic, although this may or may not be enforced by the crew. I have different views about this depending on which side of the current I am riding on.

I used to try to get 6B nonetheless, but it’s a mixed bag. True, no one can put their seat back on you. On the other hand, if you are tall, there is a bulkhead, and really nowhere for legs to go. I try now to get aisle on left-side (more cans!) next to for-sale seats in hope I will get empty next to me. (Well, what I really try to do is get into Envoy.)

I've actually looked at other places besides seatguru; e.g.,

http://www.seatmaestro.com/airplanes...-a330-200.html

which doesn't have these seats. Is it possible that they have changed the configuration lately on these aircrafts?

I'm an aisle person myself, but on overnight flights, it doesn't make such a difference to me. Less traffic to the nearby toilets seems more important. I would have taken any other seat, but the only remaining one are either DE's or choice... Flying envoy on the way back and *G, so who knows, maybe I'll get lucky...
Old Feb 4, 2013, 10:05 am

Programs: AB BA Waterloo Mama Mia
a330-200 tlv phl...row 25...in front of toilet area and do doors face your seat? extra leg room versus people standing butt first in your face...is this the reality?
Old Feb 5, 2013, 7:08 pm

Programs: AA Platinum Pro, DL UA
A330-200 Seat Selection

I recently booked two seats CLT to CDG on the A330-200. I selected row 9 in both direction. After booking I looked at SeatGuru and found that the window seat of row 9 are "bad seats". Does anyone know what makes the window seats in this row a "bad seat"?
Old Feb 8, 2013, 5:40 am

Programs: AB BA Waterloo Mama Mia
tlv PHP Feb 6...row 23 bulkhead seats are reserved for staff...therefore first row is 24 but not bulkhead
Old Feb 8, 2013, 5:45 am
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Originally Posted by CLTRob
I recently booked two seats CLT to CDG on the A330-200. I selected row 9 in both direction. After booking I looked at SeatGuru and found that the window seat of row 9 are "bad seats". Does anyone know what makes the window seats in this row a "bad seat"?
They have no windows for that row. They'd more appropriately be called wall seats
Old Feb 12, 2013, 2:00 pm

Programs: UA Silver, other ones I don't use often
A330-200 Economy Seats

I just booked US 740 in Y from PHL - MAD, and had a question on seats. I'm flying with a friend so on one direction we took a pair of side seats (the other direction had no side pairs left). The only pair left was 34 G+H, but it seemed fine to me. I then saw on one seat adviser site (now forgot which one) that the side seats towards the back of the plane are narrower than further forward. Anyone have any experience with these? Would probably prefer to snag a couple of close by aisles further up if there's a noticeable width difference.

This is only partially related, but do the choice/preferred seats become available at some time? There are quite a few empty ones on my flights, but I don't feel like they're worth the extra $100. If they suddenly show up after the non-choice seats get filled though, I'd love to jump on one. I don't fly on US much (at least not beyond SJC-PHX), so haven't really seen them before.

Thanks for the advice folks!

Last edited by CrazedZooChimp; Feb 12, 2013 at 3:07 pm
Old Feb 13, 2013, 7:05 pm

Seating on Airbus A330-200

I just returned from a domestic flight on SWA. The seats none to comfortable - even for a 3 hour flight.

So, this got me thinking. I am traveling alone to Paris this summer on the Airbus A330-200. I picked an aisle seat (I hate to be closed in). I happen to look on SeatGuru and noticed the pitch of the seat on this USAir flight is shorter (is that the right term??) that any of the SWA planes.

Is this going to be a miserable seat. Will I notice that much of a difference? The SWA seat left me fidgeting the entire flight. I am only 5'2", but I still felt cramped in. Yikes!

Do these seats recline anyless than say, SWA seats? Thanks for any input. I am already nervous about feeling like a dog when I get off this flight. I NEED MY SLEEP and there is no way I can afford to upgrade to an Envoy seat.
Old Feb 26, 2013, 9:37 am

A330-200 Envoy Class review (US-Brazil)

Having taken the airline's 767 in Envoy Class before on the CLT-GIG route, and enjoying it, we were still excited about the prospect of the new aircraft, with its larger "suites." And we weren't disappointed. Truly lie-flat seats. Shelves for storing of glasses, books, etc. Fortunately, I reserved seat 1H (only one seat on each side; 2 seats in the middle with a high partition between them). My wife had seat 1F and ended up switching to the seat behind mine due to light from the front galley area. On our return flight, we first had center seats reserved, but changed them to 1H and 2H. Glad we did. These were the best international biz class seats we'd yet exprienced (others had been UA and CO 767s and DL 757).

Bad news is that in March, US switched back to its 767 for this route, and the new CLT-GRU route starting later this Spring.
Old Feb 26, 2013, 4:02 pm

Programs: US Chairman, Marriott Platinum, Starwood Gold
Originally Posted by SoCal
Having taken the airline's 767 in Envoy Class before on the CLT-GIG route, and enjoying it, we were still excited about the prospect of the new aircraft, with its larger "suites." And we weren't disappointed. Truly lie-flat seats. Shelves for storing of glasses, books, etc. Fortunately, I reserved seat 1H (only one seat on each side; 2 seats in the middle with a high partition between them). My wife had seat 1F and ended up switching to the seat behind mine due to light from the front galley area. On our return flight, we first had center seats reserved, but changed them to 1H and 2H. Glad we did. These were the best international biz class seats we'd yet exprienced (others had been UA and CO 767s and DL 757).

Bad news is that in March, US switched back to its 767 for this route, and the new CLT-GRU route starting later this Spring.
332s are US's nicest long haul coach seats. Envoy is halfway decent.
Old Feb 26, 2013, 4:08 pm

Programs: AA EXP, Marriott Lifetime Plat, SPG Plat, AMEX Plat, Hertz PC, Travels too Much Platinum
Originally Posted by SoCal
Obviously the aircraft is moving to the GRU route, but in the long term, there are more A332s on the way starting later this year and they will eventually replace the 767 fleet.
Old Feb 26, 2013, 5:51 pm

Programs: AA Exp, but not sure for how long. Enterprise Platinum woo-hoo!
I'm not that experienced an international flyer, but I flew a couple times last summer, and I've taken that 332 from PHL to CLT in the early evening before it leaves for Brazil. Obviously I can't compare the soft product, because service on the domestic route is just the usual drinks and snack basket, but I would say the Envoy suites were comparable to the DL 763's and much nicer than the Air France 772's. My only negative comment is that if you're traveling with someone, it would be pretty hard to feel "together" in the Envoy suites. Across the aisle is definitely better than next to each other, but still pretty separated. The DL layout seemed to have the better balance of privacy and sociability, at least to me.
Old Feb 26, 2013, 7:33 pm
PHL
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA PLT, DL SLV, UA SLV, MR LTT, HH DIA
Originally Posted by phllyflyboy
332s are US's nicest long haul coach seats. Envoy is halfway decent.
What is the half that is not decent? Service? The general consensus is that the Envoy suites on the entire A330 fleet (i.e. hard product) are among the best in class, especially compared with the competition.
Old Feb 26, 2013, 7:53 pm

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond, AA Gold, FB Gold, ITA Volare Executive
Originally Posted by redtop43
I'm not that experienced an international flyer, but I flew a couple times last summer, and I've taken that 332 from PHL to CLT in the early evening before it leaves for Brazil. Obviously I can't compare the soft product, because service on the domestic route is just the usual drinks and snack basket, but I would say the Envoy suites were comparable to the DL 763's and much nicer than the Air France 772's. My only negative comment is that if you're traveling with someone, it would be pretty hard to feel "together" in the Envoy suites. Across the aisle is definitely better than next to each other, but still pretty separated. The DL layout seemed to have the better balance of privacy and sociability, at least to me.
A lot of people make this point. As problems go, though, too much room to yourself on an airplane ... well, I put that in the class of problems one wants to have !
Old Feb 26, 2013, 11:02 pm

Originally Posted by phlwookie
Obviously the aircraft is moving to the GRU route, but in the long term, there are more A332s on the way starting later this year and they will eventually replace the 767 fleet.
CLT-GIG is scheduled with 767s through October 25th, then switches to a 332 for the winter. CLT-GRU is currently scheduled for a 767 throughout 2013 - no 332. This may have to do with the poor allocated departure (GRU-CLT) slot times at GRU. If the route remains (once the merger is approved) and its economically feasible, the new AA could conceivably transfer a pair of existing slots to CLT-GRU from elsewhere.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.