Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

What's the stupidest, least substantive thing you can complain about?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Dec 4, 2015, 12:52 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: JDiver

Thread founder Blumie had the following dedicatory post to kick off the original thread in June of 2010 to guide us, so we will take our cues from that to continue this hallowed FT-AA|A tradition. (FT Rules still apply.)

Originally Posted by Blumie
What's FT if not a place to complain about the small stuff? After all, we've seen threads in which people have complained about virtually everything, from the ceiling height at JAX to the font, ink and paper used to print boarding passes. So I thought I'd start what I hope will become the one of the most valuable and important threads in the history of FT, one in which we consolidate all of our complaints about stuff that just doesn't matter and that validates AA's decision not to have an official presence on this board.

I'll go first: I find it really annoying the way the napkins are fanned before being put out at the Admirals Clubs. Is this supposed to make us feel like the place is uber-fancy? Why don't they just forget about the fanning and put out some real napkins instead of the flimsy cocktail napkins they use?
Older posts have been archived, and may be read here.
Print Wikipost

Search this Thread

Old Dec 25, 2015, 12:34 am

Programs: AAdvantage Former EXP/Current PLT / Total Rewards - Diamond / Hilton HHonors - Gold
I find it annoying when gate agents rip the stub off the boarding pass and I only get to keep that portion. I sometimes stick my luggage tags to the back of the big part just to make sure I have an excuse to keep it.
Old Dec 25, 2015, 1:15 am
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP/MM, DL GM, UA Platinum, HH DIA, Hyatt Explorist, IHG Platinum, Marriott Titanium, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by josmul123
I find it annoying when gate agents rip the stub off the boarding pass and I only get to keep that portion. I sometimes stick my luggage tags to the back of the big part just to make sure I have an excuse to keep it.
I hate it too as I collect my BPs. Often I'll make sure I have two copies in case they do just that.
Old Dec 25, 2015, 2:01 pm

Programs: free agent
The cocktail straws have two ends, a flat end and a pointy end. I prefer the pointy end down and they always seem to bring my drink with the pointy end up.
Old Dec 25, 2015, 10:26 pm

Programs: AA EXP
Is there a reason they keep it? Can confirm that this is ever so mildly annoying.
Old Dec 25, 2015, 10:30 pm

Programs: AAdvantage Former EXP/Current PLT / Total Rewards - Diamond / Hilton HHonors - Gold
Originally Posted by mikekelley
Is there a reason they keep it? Can confirm that this is ever so mildly annoying.
I always just assumed it's because that's how they used to do it before the passes had barcodes on them. They'd pull off the stub for everyone and hand it back to you.

As it's Christmas, I'm reminded of Home Alone 2, where Kevin runs into the woman at the gate holding all the boarding passes, and she puts him on the plane to New York because all the boarding passes are spread around.
Old Dec 25, 2015, 11:40 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA, B6, DL, EK, EY, QR, SQ, UA, Amex Plat, Marriott Tit, HHonors Gold
As it's Christmas, I'm reminded of Home Alone 2, where Kevin runs into the woman at the gate holding all the boarding passes, and she puts him on the plane to New York because all the boarding passes are spread around.
Haha, pre-9/11, a very real occurance.

I get really frustrated because I cannot figure out what AA equipment Kevin has actually boarded. Obviously they show a 767, but it clearly cannot be this for two technical reasons:

1) he boards through L2 (impossible on an AA 767)
2) the boarding door does not slide upward but rather, hinges out...

For reason number 2, the aircraft also cannot be a DC-10, nor can it be an A300. It has to be a widebody based on the screen in the center of the F cabin which by my calculation leaves the only possible choice as a 747SP.

The movie came out towards the end of 1992, and I can't remember exactly but I believe AA still had its pair of SPs at that time, filling the gap until MD-11s entered the fleet. This though, would mean a 747SP would have had to fly from ORD to LGA at some point. My understanding though is that the runway piers at LGA are unable to support aircraft larger than a DC-10/L-1011.

So what's the deal Hollywood?
Old Dec 25, 2015, 11:47 pm

Programs: AA EXP
He boarded a completely fake mockup situated on a studio lot somewhere in Burbank. These are usually made of whatever parts can be scavenged off of planes headed for the shredder in Mojave. There are all sorts of funky fake airplane interiors floating around in Hollywood movies.

(I've spent a significant amount of time in the fake airplane business, if you can believe it, and have taken more than a couple trips out to the desert to buy airplane parts!)
Old Dec 26, 2015, 2:12 am

Programs: WFBF
Originally Posted by mikekelley
He boarded a completely fake mockup situated on a studio lot somewhere in Burbank. These are usually made of whatever parts can be scavenged off of planes headed for the shredder in Mojave. There are all sorts of funky fake airplane interiors floating around in Hollywood movies.

(I've spent a significant amount of time in the fake airplane business, if you can believe it, and have taken more than a couple trips out to the desert to buy airplane parts!)
To make it AA-related: I was hunting for a movie to watch on a recent flight and the most interesting thing in the IFE was "Kingsman".

Twice in the movie they use private jets; the first one had, as is appropriate for a British spy agency, a UK registration number. The second one... had a US registration.
Old Dec 26, 2015, 3:06 pm

Originally Posted by patpatpatme
sometimes there is no pointy end
They have medication for that issue. I see it advertised a lot on US tv.
Old Dec 26, 2015, 4:59 pm

Programs: AA EXP OWE, DL DM ST+, AS MVPG, UA, BA, WN CP, Hyatt E, Ritz Plat, HH GM
Originally Posted by Hotel_junkie
Here's my biggest complaint for 2015: FA in domestic F called the warm bowl of nuts a "Nut Cup"...as in "can I have your nut cup?", "Are you done with your nut cup?"...

...nobody's touching my nut cup!
I wish my FA called it a nut cup.
Old Dec 26, 2015, 5:08 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
My (real) Champagne PDB on AA 72 on Wednesday was served in a stemless generic wine glass and it held twice as much wine as a normal Champagne flute.

The caviar canapé had Osetra caviar, instead of Beluga.
Old Dec 26, 2015, 5:14 pm
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeShangri-La Contributor Badge

Programs: UA 1K
Originally Posted by JDiver
My (real) Champagne PDB on AA 72 on Wednesday was served in a stemless generic wine glass and it held twice as much wine as a normal Champagne flute.

You'd think they would at least cater Kaluga caviar.
Old Dec 26, 2015, 8:14 pm

Originally Posted by JDiver

I seriously think this is the best thread on the forum. ^^^
Old Dec 27, 2015, 2:01 pm

Programs: American Airlines Platinum, National Executive
The CLT Admirals Clubs have Pepperidge Farm crackers to accompany the soup.

The LGA Admirals Club does not.

Gosh darn it!
Old Dec 27, 2015, 7:26 pm

Programs: AA CK, SPG Plat, IHG Plat
The "Advanced Search" flight booking option at aa.com is so...graphically unpleasing. The main page is nice, then I click that link and am transported back to 1990. Maybe they could at least include a photo of Bill & Ted sitting on their telephone booth time machine?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.