Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

AAdvantage eShopping / Cartera Questions / Discussion / Vendors / Issues (archive)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Feb 18, 2015, 5:57 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: rrgg
AAdvantage eShoppping by Cartera Commerce
Using, earning miles, problems, etc. (Consolidated thread)

American Airlines is not the contact for Cartera / AAdvantage eShopping .

AAdvantage eShopping FAQs and an e-contact form can be found via the "Contact Us" link at the bottom left corner of the home page.

If you have trouble getting purchases to track, there's also a browser extension to help.

Cartera website: http://www.cartera.com

Cartera Commerce, Inc.
One Cranberry Hill
Lexington, Massachusetts 02421

Tel. (781) 541-6800 Fax: (781) 541-6801

For general inquiries, please contact [email protected] or 888.456.6255
MODERATOR GUIDEPOST (Please do not alter contents following)

This thread is the sole thread to address issues with AAdvantage eShopping (operated by Cartera Commerce). Other queries or complaints will invariably end up merged into this thread. All posts must comply with FlyerTalk Guidelines and Rules / TOS, or may be summarily deleted or edited by moderators.

A related article, highlighting an interview of Cartera Commerce CEO Tom Bercher, is "Secrets of Cartera Commerce Revealed: Inside the Company that Brings You Miles for Online Shopping" by Gary Leff on March 3, 2014. Link.

As described in this thread, AAdvantage Shopping now offers a downloadable button installable on your desktop (not mobile) device to facilitate e-shopping. Link.

Older posts may be read at http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/ameri...or-consol.html

Notes about Giftcards.com:
  • A separate thread exists for discussing Giftcards.com and likely has more data points than this generic thread.
  • Purchases from giftcards.com earn miles on the first $2,000 spent in the named calendar month, meaning for example between March 1st and March 31st. [Note: as of Aug 2023, the $2k limit is per order, not per purchase]
  • Giftcards.com has had various limits over the years, and it was always by calendar month.
  • Some data points show the $2,000 monthly limit is not always enforced. [Note: as of Aug 2023, the $2k limit is per order, not per purchase]
  • In 2022, larger orders track more slowly, and you may need to wait a full month to see miles. Strong advice from the thread is to make multiple small purchases (say under $300) rather than large ones to avoid the dreaded "manual review"
(Copied from the LP thread wiki): Once you click through the AAdvantage eShopping portal to a vendor offer and make a purchase, you will eventually get the associated miles posted to your AAdvantage account as both redeemable miles and Loyalty Points. If the merchant advertises an increase in the miles per dollar spent, you'll earn the higher amount in both redeemable miles and an equal number of Loyalty Points. The same applies if a merchant advertises a higher fixed amount per purchase, rather than a per dollar amount. Examples of this would appear on the portal as, "Extra miles. Was 1 mile/$. Now earn 3 miles/$" or "Extra miles. Was up to 3700 miles. Now up to 6200 miles." However, if the website advertises a "Limited-time bonus offer" for "bonus miles" after meeting a spending threshold, that bonus will only post as redeemable miles and not Loyalty Points. If a bonus is offered for some site-wide activity such as 1000 miles for installing an extension, or 500 miles for enrolling in the portal, or 2000 miles for meeting a spending threshold across multiple merchants, the bonus will only post as redeemable miles and not Loyalty Points.

Some anti-virus software silently blocks tracking, and you may want to consider disabling it for your purchase.
Print Wikipost

AAdvantage eShopping / Cartera Questions / Discussion / Vendors / Issues (archive)

Search this Thread

Old Apr 30, 2022, 3:42 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Top Tier with all 3 alliances
Has anyone gone over the 2k cumulative monthly limit at giftcards.com, and does this work? Any problems in getting the miles or clawbacks?
Old Apr 30, 2022, 4:17 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by nk15
Another way to mitigate some of that is buying gift cards of products you actually use, like various store cards.
If the CC gets level 3 data, sure. But unless you are using an Amex, I understand that that is not usually the case for personal cards.
Old Apr 30, 2022, 8:15 pm

Programs: AA (EP), Hilton (Diamond), Marriott Bonvoy (Titanium)
Originally Posted by marunouchi24
I try to purchase a VISA e-Gift on giftcards.com and all orders are automatically cancelled. I use ExpressVPN and a BofA CC, I'm outside the USA. Any secret to successfully complete the purchase? Thank you. Maru
I'm inside the U.S. and not using a VPN, yet every giftcards.com order is cancelled.
marunouchi24 likes this.
Old Apr 30, 2022, 8:31 pm

Programs: AA (EP), Hilton (Diamond), Marriott Bonvoy (Titanium)
Every single order at giftcards.com gets immediately cancelled. I tried ordering one for $100 to see if that helps. My guess is that it's because the billing address of my credit card is a commercial address (a UPS store) and maybe fraudsters rent boxes there. But I'm legit and have rented the same box for over twenty years and use it for all my mail.
Old May 1, 2022, 8:28 am

Programs: AA Exp, but not sure for how long. Enterprise Platinum woo-hoo!
I went about 8-for-12 last weekend on ordering $250 gift cards, 1 per order. One order was canceled, 2 or 3 gave me an error before trying to create the order, and the rest went through. One of these cards was two weeks "early" (I bought one on April 14 and again on April 30) and the other 7 were roughly but not perfecty a month later (originally bought March 29-April 4, "next month" bought April 29-30). I've been getting messages that say "Your order has been tracked through AAdvantage Shopping" including for the cancelled order. I also got an email saying I had earned 2,750 miles, 750 for each of 3 cards and 500 from a promotion, but none of those have posted yet either as RDM's or loyalty points.

It's not uncommon for vendor security systems to flag VPN-based purchases.

For those who would like a constructive and actionable answer from giftcards.com on why your orders aren't working, I suggest you write to: Santa Claus, North Pole. You will have as much luck as contacting GC.com. They can often give answers to certain questions, albeit sometimes you have to try a few times, but I think you will have zero success digging behind their security system. As I've noted elsewhere, probably no one at BHN knows how the security screens work. They just buy it from a business analytics vendor.
Old May 1, 2022, 8:34 am

Programs: AA PLT, SPG Gold
Originally Posted by redtop43
I went about 8-for-12 last weekend on ordering $250 gift cards, 1 per order. One order was canceled, 2 or 3 gave me an error before trying to create the order, and the rest went through. One of these cards was two weeks "early" (I bought one on April 14 and again on April 30) and the other 7 were roughly but not perfecty a month later (originally bought March 29-April 4, "next month" bought April 29-30). I've been getting messages that say "Your order has been tracked through AAdvantage Shopping" including for the cancelled order. I also got an email saying I had earned 2,750 miles, 750 for each of 3 cards and 500 from a promotion, but none of those have posted yet either as RDM's or loyalty points.

It's not uncommon for vendor security systems to flag VPN-based purchases.

For those who would like a constructive and actionable answer from giftcards.com on why your orders aren't working, I suggest you write to: Santa Claus, North Pole. You will have as much luck as contacting GC.com. They can often give answers to certain questions, albeit sometimes you have to try a few times, but I think you will have zero success digging behind their security system. As I've noted elsewhere, probably no one at BHN knows how the security screens work. They just buy it from a business analytics vendor.
Wait does the one month get set based on the date of purchase? Not calendar month? I bought several in the past 1-2 weeks. But now that's it's May 1st, my $2000 limit doesn't reset now? So I need to wait a few weeks and hope it's still at 3 miles/dollar to buy more? That is so obnoxious if true!
Old May 1, 2022, 12:30 pm

Originally Posted by no1cub17
Wait does the one month get set based on the date of purchase? Not calendar month? I bought several in the past 1-2 weeks. But now that's it's May 1st, my $2000 limit doesn't reset now? So I need to wait a few weeks and hope it's still at 3 miles/dollar to buy more? That is so obnoxious if true!
I have been told that the "month" is a rolling month, so if you buy on April 29, you cannot buy that portion of your limit again until May 29. However, there are reports of people getting miles even though the limit has been exceeded, and I've been told that "we will not investigate purchcases over $2000 per month."

I would tread a little lightly, but I wouldn't be slitting your wrists just yet. If you want to move it toward the 1st of the month, I might try buying again at 20-day intervals until you get to where you want to be. But make sure you are getting automatically credited and won't have to ask for help from BHN or Cartera.
Old May 1, 2022, 12:39 pm

Originally Posted by nk15
Has anyone gone over the 2k cumulative monthly limit at giftcards.com, and does this work? Any problems in getting the miles or clawbacks?
The wikipost has a link to a GCC thread that might have data points.
Old May 1, 2022, 1:43 pm
Ambassador: Alaska Airlines

I am having issues with a recent purchase with gift cards.com. I have made multiple purchases with many different vendors with no issues. Everything tracked and posted within a few days. Gift cards.com on the other hand nothing tracked and of course no miles posted. I already got the Visa card in the mail.

Will I be able to work with Cartera to get the 750 miles or am I SOL because Cartera will tell me the order wasn’t tracked or reported? FWIW they did track that I went to giftcards.com but the purchase was not tracked/reported. Tomorrow will be the 15 days mark since the purchase.
Old May 1, 2022, 3:22 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by golfingboy
I am having issues with a recent purchase with gift cards.com. I have made multiple purchases with many different vendors with no issues. Everything tracked and posted within a few days. Gift cards.com on the other hand nothing tracked and of course no miles posted. I already got the Visa card in the mail.

Will I be able to work with Cartera to get the 750 miles or am I SOL because Cartera will tell me the order wasn’t tracked or reported? FWIW they did track that I went to giftcards.com but the purchase was not tracked/reported. Tomorrow will be the 15 days mark since the purchase.
Email them. You should get your miles. You will have to send them a copy of your reciept.

I've made dozens of orders though giftcards.com and they have all tracked. Did you read the terms? Are you using Safari?
golfingboy likes this.
Old May 1, 2022, 3:38 pm
Ambassador: Alaska Airlines

Originally Posted by VegasGambler
Email them. You should get your miles. You will have to send them a copy of your reciept.

I've made dozens of orders though giftcards.com and they have all tracked. Did you read the terms? Are you using Safari?
Thanks!

Yes - I have read the terms. I am using Safari and I have disabled the cross site tracking security feature according to the instructions before proceeding with entering the site and making the purchase.

I can use chrome at work if that is better.
Old May 1, 2022, 4:27 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by golfingboy
Thanks!

Yes - I have read the terms. I am using Safari and I have disabled the cross site tracking security feature according to the instructions before proceeding with entering the site and making the purchase.

I can use chrome at work if that is better.
It's hard to say. I always suggest that people use a dedicated browser for portal shopping. Ever since I've switched to doing that I've never had anything fail to track.
Old May 1, 2022, 11:02 pm

I have some GC purchases still lurking from February. Today when I looked at my account on AA shopping, there were a bunch of new entries for GC purchases, many of which are far in excess of what I actually bought. The total is about $7750, when I only actually bought $6000.

Many of these just showed up today and are not yet in my AA account. I guess we'll see.

I don't particularly want more than I deserve, but I surely do want what I paid for.
Old May 2, 2022, 6:21 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP / LT PLT / 3MM, Marriott LT Gold
Originally Posted by redtop43
I have some GC purchases still lurking from February. Today when I looked at my account on AA shopping, there were a bunch of new entries for GC purchases, many of which are far in excess of what I actually bought. The total is about $7750, when I only actually bought $6000.

Many of these just showed up today and are not yet in my AA account. I guess we'll see.

I don't particularly want more than I deserve, but I surely do want what I paid for.
Based on just 2 data points published here, if you get the extra miles which are subsequently clawed back, you will keep the extra LPs.
VegasGambler likes this.
Old May 2, 2022, 7:29 am

Programs: AA EXP
Similar to Redtop43, I had approx. $2,500 in GC purchases from the early March timeframe that finally appeared on the site over the weekend with the mile status of "pending" (amounts with the bonus was correct). Will see how long it takes to flow over to AA.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.