Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

AAdvantage eShopping / Cartera Questions / Discussion / Vendors / Issues (archive)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Feb 18, 2015, 5:57 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: rrgg
AAdvantage eShoppping by Cartera Commerce
Using, earning miles, problems, etc. (Consolidated thread)

American Airlines is not the contact for Cartera / AAdvantage eShopping .

AAdvantage eShopping FAQs and an e-contact form can be found via the "Contact Us" link at the bottom left corner of the home page.

If you have trouble getting purchases to track, there's also a browser extension to help.

Cartera website: http://www.cartera.com

Cartera Commerce, Inc.
One Cranberry Hill
Lexington, Massachusetts 02421

Tel. (781) 541-6800 Fax: (781) 541-6801

For general inquiries, please contact [email protected] or 888.456.6255
MODERATOR GUIDEPOST (Please do not alter contents following)

This thread is the sole thread to address issues with AAdvantage eShopping (operated by Cartera Commerce). Other queries or complaints will invariably end up merged into this thread. All posts must comply with FlyerTalk Guidelines and Rules / TOS, or may be summarily deleted or edited by moderators.

A related article, highlighting an interview of Cartera Commerce CEO Tom Bercher, is "Secrets of Cartera Commerce Revealed: Inside the Company that Brings You Miles for Online Shopping" by Gary Leff on March 3, 2014. Link.

As described in this thread, AAdvantage Shopping now offers a downloadable button installable on your desktop (not mobile) device to facilitate e-shopping. Link.

Older posts may be read at http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/ameri...or-consol.html

Notes about Giftcards.com:
  • A separate thread exists for discussing Giftcards.com and likely has more data points than this generic thread.
  • Purchases from giftcards.com earn miles on the first $2,000 spent in the named calendar month, meaning for example between March 1st and March 31st. [Note: as of Aug 2023, the $2k limit is per order, not per purchase]
  • Giftcards.com has had various limits over the years, and it was always by calendar month.
  • Some data points show the $2,000 monthly limit is not always enforced. [Note: as of Aug 2023, the $2k limit is per order, not per purchase]
  • In 2022, larger orders track more slowly, and you may need to wait a full month to see miles. Strong advice from the thread is to make multiple small purchases (say under $300) rather than large ones to avoid the dreaded "manual review"
(Copied from the LP thread wiki): Once you click through the AAdvantage eShopping portal to a vendor offer and make a purchase, you will eventually get the associated miles posted to your AAdvantage account as both redeemable miles and Loyalty Points. If the merchant advertises an increase in the miles per dollar spent, you'll earn the higher amount in both redeemable miles and an equal number of Loyalty Points. The same applies if a merchant advertises a higher fixed amount per purchase, rather than a per dollar amount. Examples of this would appear on the portal as, "Extra miles. Was 1 mile/$. Now earn 3 miles/$" or "Extra miles. Was up to 3700 miles. Now up to 6200 miles." However, if the website advertises a "Limited-time bonus offer" for "bonus miles" after meeting a spending threshold, that bonus will only post as redeemable miles and not Loyalty Points. If a bonus is offered for some site-wide activity such as 1000 miles for installing an extension, or 500 miles for enrolling in the portal, or 2000 miles for meeting a spending threshold across multiple merchants, the bonus will only post as redeemable miles and not Loyalty Points.

Some anti-virus software silently blocks tracking, and you may want to consider disabling it for your purchase.
Print Wikipost

AAdvantage eShopping / Cartera Questions / Discussion / Vendors / Issues (archive)

Search this Thread

Old Jan 7, 2023, 3:58 am

Programs: AA EXP IHG Diamond Marriott Gold Hilton Diamond
Verizon Business @ 10900

I seem to remember past posts about buying a cheap phone and enrolling. Any ideas on how to make this work? I also seem to remember some problems with Verizon being honored. Any help is appreciated. Without Giftcards.com around, I'm scrambling to get 30K to make it to EXP by March.
gilbride05 likes this.
Old Jan 8, 2023, 1:54 am

Programs: IHG/Spire Amb., Hilton/Diamond, SPG/Gold, Marriott/Gold, AA/Plat, Southwest/CP
Originally Posted by nk15
Personally, I am willing to sacrifice all your outstanding points requests from gf.com in exchange of them coming back to the portal...Let's make a deal and wipe the slate clean and start over...
Which of the stages of grief is bargaining again?

Yeah, please bring them back...
nk15 likes this.
Old Jan 8, 2023, 2:08 am

Programs: AA Exp, but not sure for how long. Enterprise Platinum woo-hoo!
If it doesn't come back, it will actually be life-altering for me. I was planning on doing 200K LP's in giftcards, getting 200K RDMs, and doing almost all my flying in 2023 up front and a lot of it for free. Fortunately I got all my LP's for EXP a couple of months ago.
Old Jan 8, 2023, 6:48 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Top Tier with all 3 alliances
Originally Posted by LaphroaigAndRibeye​​​​​​
Which of the stages of grief is bargaining again?

Yeah, please bring them back...
I watched the Banshees of Inisherin last night...We're all gonna be like Colin Farrell's character, we can't understand why gf.com suddenly does not want to be our friend any more....
Old Jan 8, 2023, 11:06 am

Programs: UA Gold 1MM, AA EXP, HH Diamond, MR Gold, Avis PC, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by redtop43
If it doesn't come back, it will actually be life-altering for me. I was planning on doing 200K LP's in giftcards, getting 200K RDMs, and doing almost all my flying in 2023 up front and a lot of it for free. Fortunately I got all my LP's for EXP a couple of months ago.
It's a complete mystery to me why Giftcards.com might have removed themselves from the shopping portal.
GVR Bill, njvandy, airb330 and 4 others like this.
Old Jan 8, 2023, 12:31 pm
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: AA ExecPl, AT Gold, Hyatt Globalist, IHG Diamond, Hilton Diamond, National
Originally Posted by coolbeans202
It's a complete mystery to me why Giftcards.com might have removed themselves from the shopping portal.
I know that was sarcasm...

But really, $5.95 + interchange fee revenue + breakage for 768 (or 255) miles doesn't seem like that bad of a deal for them. I wonder if it was a huge bookkeeping hassle/cost. (That said, the percentage off promos that made them moneymakers for us were surprising, but I would have expected those to end and not the miles earning.)
GVR Bill and Illinwu like this.

Last edited by chrisny2; Jan 8, 2023 at 2:20 pm
Old Jan 9, 2023, 6:29 am

Programs: Marriott Ambassador, AA ExecPlat, Amtrak Select Exec, former WN apologist
Originally Posted by chrisny2
I know that was sarcasm...

But really, $5.95 + interchange fee revenue + breakage for 768 (or 255) miles doesn't seem like that bad of a deal for them. I wonder if it was a huge bookkeeping hassle/cost. (That said, the percentage off promos that made them moneymakers for us were surprising, but I would have expected those to end and not the miles earning.)
Right, at 1x miles with no discount, it is a winner for them for sure (albeit a lot less exciting for us). At 3x miles and 10% off, they are losing money hand over fist (duh). To me the obvious solution is to roll back the mileage bonus and discount to something that still works for them, rather than kill the program entirely.

I am aligned with the theory posited above that some rogue manager jacked up the discount and mileage to make his sales numbers look good. Then somebody above him/her found out what it was costing them and decided to just axe it.
BWISkyGuy and Illinwu like this.
Old Jan 9, 2023, 6:33 am

Originally Posted by Mr. BoH
Right, at 1x miles with no discount, it is a winner for them for sure (albeit a lot less exciting for us). At 3x miles and 10% off, they are losing money hand over fist (duh). To me the obvious solution is to roll back the mileage bonus and discount to something that still works for them, rather than kill the program entirely.

I am aligned with the theory posited above that some rogue manager jacked up the discount and mileage to make his sales numbers look good. Then somebody above him/her found out what it was costing them and decided to just axe it.
thats exactly what I guessed prior to reading this. Someone jacked up their own bonus numbers with too good an offer. No question they lost money on that deal. It was too good to last. Buying gift cards below cost and high miles. Definitely no way they made money. Visa/Mac charge them quite a lot to have a universal gift card like that. A store card sure but a branded universal card, it was too good to last
Old Jan 9, 2023, 7:41 am

I still don't see any of my transactions to confirm for 12/23/22 and all were one card per order. See them tracked but not moved to pending/confirmed
Old Jan 9, 2023, 10:29 am
IHG Contributor Badge

Programs: AA EXP, IHG Diamond, IC Amb
What are the thoughts of the forum on having a Wiki that lists the maximum points ever offered by a store?

For example, I sometimes wait to buy clothing because places like Neiman Marcus will sometimes offer up to 10x points for purchases (Yes, this new LP system has changed my purchase behavior so kudos, AA!)

But sometimes I don't know if a store's 4x offering is the most offered.
Gotz00 likes this.
Old Jan 9, 2023, 10:37 am

Programs: AA EXP, BA Gold, VS Gold, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Platinum, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by 355F1
What are the thoughts of the forum on having a Wiki that lists the maximum points ever offered by a store?

For example, I sometimes wait to buy clothing because places like Neiman Marcus will sometimes offer up to 10x points for purchases (Yes, this new LP system has changed my purchase behavior so kudos, AA!)

there’s a link to a site that tracks this if you look upthread.
Old Jan 9, 2023, 10:40 am
IHG Contributor Badge

Programs: AA EXP, IHG Diamond, IC Amb
Originally Posted by coleslaw
There are over 2,000 posts on this thread....LoL
Imarmed likes this.
Old Jan 9, 2023, 10:42 am

Programs: AA EXP, BA Gold, VS Gold, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Platinum, Hilton Diamond
There are over 2,000 posts on this thread....LoL
Then I’d suggest you get started!

or use Google.
Old Jan 9, 2023, 10:47 am

Programs: AA, but I play the field

Originally Posted by coleslaw
I think it's Cashback Monitor? or something similar. Have only looked at it once but am guessing others here are familiar with it . . .
355F1 likes this.
Old Jan 9, 2023, 11:12 am

Look under the store name for a link that says View Best Rate History. You might not notice since it's not a special font or bold or anything.
Antarius and 355F1 like this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.