Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

AAdvantage eShopping / Cartera Questions / Discussion / Vendors / Issues (archive)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Feb 18, 2015, 5:57 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: rrgg
AAdvantage eShoppping by Cartera Commerce
Using, earning miles, problems, etc. (Consolidated thread)

American Airlines is not the contact for Cartera / AAdvantage eShopping .

AAdvantage eShopping FAQs and an e-contact form can be found via the "Contact Us" link at the bottom left corner of the home page.

If you have trouble getting purchases to track, there's also a browser extension to help.

Cartera website: http://www.cartera.com

Cartera Commerce, Inc.
One Cranberry Hill
Lexington, Massachusetts 02421

Tel. (781) 541-6800 Fax: (781) 541-6801

For general inquiries, please contact [email protected] or 888.456.6255
MODERATOR GUIDEPOST (Please do not alter contents following)

This thread is the sole thread to address issues with AAdvantage eShopping (operated by Cartera Commerce). Other queries or complaints will invariably end up merged into this thread. All posts must comply with FlyerTalk Guidelines and Rules / TOS, or may be summarily deleted or edited by moderators.

A related article, highlighting an interview of Cartera Commerce CEO Tom Bercher, is "Secrets of Cartera Commerce Revealed: Inside the Company that Brings You Miles for Online Shopping" by Gary Leff on March 3, 2014. Link.

As described in this thread, AAdvantage Shopping now offers a downloadable button installable on your desktop (not mobile) device to facilitate e-shopping. Link.

Older posts may be read at http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/ameri...or-consol.html

Notes about Giftcards.com:
  • A separate thread exists for discussing Giftcards.com and likely has more data points than this generic thread.
  • Purchases from giftcards.com earn miles on the first $2,000 spent in the named calendar month, meaning for example between March 1st and March 31st. [Note: as of Aug 2023, the $2k limit is per order, not per purchase]
  • Giftcards.com has had various limits over the years, and it was always by calendar month.
  • Some data points show the $2,000 monthly limit is not always enforced. [Note: as of Aug 2023, the $2k limit is per order, not per purchase]
  • In 2022, larger orders track more slowly, and you may need to wait a full month to see miles. Strong advice from the thread is to make multiple small purchases (say under $300) rather than large ones to avoid the dreaded "manual review"
(Copied from the LP thread wiki): Once you click through the AAdvantage eShopping portal to a vendor offer and make a purchase, you will eventually get the associated miles posted to your AAdvantage account as both redeemable miles and Loyalty Points. If the merchant advertises an increase in the miles per dollar spent, you'll earn the higher amount in both redeemable miles and an equal number of Loyalty Points. The same applies if a merchant advertises a higher fixed amount per purchase, rather than a per dollar amount. Examples of this would appear on the portal as, "Extra miles. Was 1 mile/$. Now earn 3 miles/$" or "Extra miles. Was up to 3700 miles. Now up to 6200 miles." However, if the website advertises a "Limited-time bonus offer" for "bonus miles" after meeting a spending threshold, that bonus will only post as redeemable miles and not Loyalty Points. If a bonus is offered for some site-wide activity such as 1000 miles for installing an extension, or 500 miles for enrolling in the portal, or 2000 miles for meeting a spending threshold across multiple merchants, the bonus will only post as redeemable miles and not Loyalty Points.

Some anti-virus software silently blocks tracking, and you may want to consider disabling it for your purchase.
Print Wikipost

AAdvantage eShopping / Cartera Questions / Discussion / Vendors / Issues (archive)

Search this Thread

Old Apr 23, 2022, 11:09 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by redtop43
I thought it was worth reporting that I bought a physical GC from giftcardmall.com, activated it with a PIN, and was able to buy a MO at a grocery store. The card value was $198 and I bought a $197.11 MO with an 89 cent fee. Most grocery stores officially don't allow GC's to be used but they don't usually look at the card unless they suspect something is going on. Buying two $499.11 MO's in consecutive transactions (if the limit per MO is $500) is a red flag, but someone coming in and buying a MO in the $200-300 range once a week probably won't be.
Any confirmation that they aren't enforcing the $2k /month max?

My problem is not that I can't find ways to liquidate, but that I have a lot more than $2k of legit unbonused online spend many months.

I have tickets outstanding to get miles for a few large purchases. While I have no doubt that I'll get the miles eventually, it makes it hard for me to experiment with the $2k max and be sure that my results are meaningful.
Old Apr 23, 2022, 11:42 pm

Programs: AA Exp, but not sure for how long. Enterprise Platinum woo-hoo!
Originally Posted by VegasGambler
Any confirmation that they aren't enforcing the $2k /month max?

My problem is not that I can't find ways to liquidate, but that I have a lot more than $2k of legit unbonused online spend many months.

I have tickets outstanding to get miles for a few large purchases. While I have no doubt that I'll get the miles eventually, it makes it hard for me to experiment with the $2k max and be sure that my results are meaningful.
I haven't attempted to go over $2K/mo. I don't have any particular need or desire to. After literally a dozen shutdowns in my MS whale days, I don't want to burn any more bridges unless I have to.
355F1 likes this.
Old Apr 23, 2022, 11:56 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I haven't attempted to go over $2K/mo. I don't have any particular need or desire to. After literally a dozen shutdowns in my MS whale days, I don't want to burn any more bridges unless I have to.
I get it. I'm not looking to MS either
Old Apr 24, 2022, 8:43 am
IHG Contributor Badge

Programs: AA EXP, IHG Diamond, IC Amb
Originally Posted by pauleeepaul
Who knew Crutchfield was still a thing?
I bought my first car stereo from them in 1976.
Originally Posted by EkekoBWI
Had the same thought, but, turns out, they carry some things others online stores don't. May be getting a TV from them with 3x points soon.
They are an authorized dealer for some very high-end stuff. And they have the best return policy on everything including heavy $10,000 speakers and only charge a flat fee of $75 to return if you don't like—$12 flat fee for most other items with a 60-day guarantee.
Venezuela-Miami and EkekoBWI like this.

Last edited by 355F1; Apr 24, 2022 at 8:36 pm
Old Apr 24, 2022, 9:05 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP / LT PLT / 3MM, Marriott LT Gold
Originally Posted by UncleLeo
In late February, I placed an order through the portal with Verizon for a new service contract, which should have netted me 6,200 miles. I followed up with Cartera in early March, and got the "we'll investigate and get back to you in 4-8 weeks" reply. After nudging them this past week, they replied that Verizon has declined the order because it was a "BYOD (bring your own device) order which is not commissionable at the time of purchase." Suffice it to stay that nothing in the terms and conditions for this offer even remotely suggested that, apart from the new service contract, one had to additionally purchase a new phone in order to receive the 6,200 miles. Worse yet, on the store webpage under "Shop at Verizon and earn AAdvantage miles," the offers specifically include: "Bring your own phone, get up to $500."

After carefully reviewing all of the terms, conditions, and restrictions, I cannot see how this is not a qualifying purchase. I explained my case in painstaking detail in a responsive email. (No reply yet.) Anybody else have success in getting the miles awarded under similar circumstances? With respect to the Prepaid Plan debacle from a few months back, I seemed to recall reading that some people had success in getting the miles to post after lodging complaints with the BBB or submitting a formal pre-arbitration complaint to Verizon.
My Verizon miles posted exactly on the 60th day. Both my orders were BYOD as well but you had to follow a very specific sequence of actions to place your order. Their website was a hot mess. Are you sure you bought the prepaid line contract? If so, I would not give up on this.

Last edited by vasantn; Apr 24, 2022 at 4:33 pm
Old Apr 24, 2022, 1:28 pm

Programs: AA Plat
Wow. I thought I was late in getting my Jan VZN miles on Mar 1. That really sucks! ETA: I did send a demand to VZN. Dunno if that was helpful or not.

I did have trouble with my $500 GC.com orders from Mar. Submitted tickets for both. The first hasn't paid, despite 2 tickets 2 weeks apart. The 2nd weirdly paid out after 1 ticket. Both tickets were sent to AAS 2 weeks post purchase. I will "CC" AA on my 3rd ticket if needed.
Old Apr 24, 2022, 7:48 pm

Originally Posted by vasantn
My Verizon miles posted exactly on the 60th day. Both my orders were BYOD as well but you had to follow a very specific sequence of actions to place your order. Their website was a hot mess. Are you sure you bought the prepaid line contract? If so, I would not give up on this.
Thanks. Before your miles posted, did you have to nudge Cartera and/or push back after an initial rejection? I believe my order was a postpaid contract, not a prepaid one. I was issued a first month's bill immediately upon placing the order, but the bill was not autopaid until the due date. Regarding the order process, as best I can recall, I accessed their website through the portal, shopped their unlimited plans and selected one, and then chose the BYOD option rather than buying a new device, and so on.

My understanding was that by late February—i.e., after Verizon had already specifically removed "Prepay Customers" from the mileage offer and started to clawback miles for Prepaid orders—I had order a postpaid plan in order to qualify for the "New Service" offer of 6,200 miles. Do you have a different understanding? In any event, the Cartera agent made no mention of the prepaid/postpaid distinction. According to her, the sticking point with Verizon was that my order was BYOD and thus (allegedly) "not commissionable." Thanks again.
Old Apr 24, 2022, 8:35 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP / LT PLT / 3MM, Marriott LT Gold
Originally Posted by UncleLeo
Thanks. Before your miles posted, did you have to nudge Cartera and/or push back after an initial rejection? I believe my order was a postpaid contract, not a prepaid one. I was issued a first month's bill immediately upon placing the order, but the bill was not autopaid until the due date. Regarding the order process, as best I can recall, I accessed their website through the portal, shopped their unlimited plans and selected one, and then chose the BYOD option rather than buying a new device, and so on.

My understanding was that by late February—i.e., after Verizon had already specifically removed "Prepay Customers" from the mileage offer and started to clawback miles for Prepaid orders—I had order a postpaid plan in order to qualify for the "New Service" offer of 6,200 miles. Do you have a different understanding? In any event, the Cartera agent made no mention of the prepaid/postpaid distinction. According to her, the sticking point with Verizon was that my order was BYOD and thus (allegedly) "not commissionable." Thanks again.
I sent in the standard obligatory inquiry after 15 days and got a response quoting Verizon's policy about the miles not being awarded until 60 days after the order had been placed. With no further communication, the miles posted on the 60th day. So technically, my claim was never "rejected".

I believe people's miles were clawed back only if they were clearly abusing the process with dozens of purchases.

You may be out of luck because for the postpaid plans, I believe there was a provision that the plan had to be maintained for a certain number of months. The prepaid plans had no such published restriction.
Old Apr 25, 2022, 8:59 am
IHG Contributor Badge

Programs: AA EXP, IHG Diamond, IC Amb
Originally Posted by 355F1
Bought something through the AA portal on Crutchfield.com 15 days ago.

Nothing has posted.

Sent in a request for missing miles this morning and it says they will get back to me in 2 business days.
Missing miles posted today.
Old Apr 25, 2022, 9:35 am

I sent in the standard obligatory inquiry after 15 days and got a response quoting Verizon's policy about the miles not being awarded until 60 days after the order had been placed. With no further communication, the miles posted on the 60th day. So technically, my claim was never "rejected".

I believe people's miles were clawed back only if they were clearly abusing the process with dozens of purchases.

You may be out of luck because for the postpaid plans, I believe there was a provision that the plan had to be maintained for a certain number of months. The prepaid plans had no such published restriction.
I see. For Verizon Fios, the T&C's do state that the mileage offer is "only eligible on new FIOS purchases that have been activated for at least sixty (60) days." But I did not then (and do now) not see a similar requirement for the Verizon Wireless offer. Even if there was such a restriction on the wireless side, I had no intention of canceling the wireless service. And thus no objection to waiting 60 days, 90 days, etc.—as long as the miles eventually posted. But as things stand now, Cartera suggests that they will never post, for no other reason than my election to bring my own device when entering into a new service contract. Which, again, appears to have been completely manufactured well after the fact. Unless I learn otherwise, I don't intend to give in on this.

Interestingly enough, I separately ordered Fios on the same day that I ordered the wireless service back in late February. The miles for the Fios offer posted pretty quickly, despite the stated 60-day restriction...
Old Apr 25, 2022, 11:24 am

Verizon's policy about the miles not being awarded until 60 days after the order had been placed. With no further communication, the miles posted on the 60th day.
Fascinating if true! Surely not a coincidence? Wonder if other merchants have 60 day ru le? This could save us a lot of time if we wait 60 days before filing a ticket. IIRC AAS wants you to wait at least 2 weeks but I don't think there's an upper limit, is there? Ofc knowing me, I'd probably forget to follow up, despite my AALP spreadsheet! With that being said, I'm pretty low on RDMs (50k) so that's another factor toward expediency.
Old Apr 25, 2022, 11:33 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by sexykitten7
Fascinating if true! Surely not a coincidence?
Most likely it's because the offer terms required the line to be active for 60 days. Until the 60 day mark, you have not completed the offer.

I wonder how many of the people who never got their miles didn't read the terms and cancelled before the 60 days was up?
Old Apr 25, 2022, 2:15 pm

Verizon Business has a 15K offer now. I can't stop looking at it but it looks too limited to be doable. Anything I'm missing? I think it just has some really poorly priced FIOS contracts as options. Early termination fees would ruin it and I don't think the pricing is close to what I'm currently paying so canceling and ordering new service under a business name wouldn't make sense even if I wanted to go through all that.

But 15k!
murphy likes this.
Old Apr 25, 2022, 3:29 pm

Programs: UA 1K, AA EXP, Hyatt Glob, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Plat, Total Wine & More Reserve
Originally Posted by sexykitten7
Wonder if other merchants have 60 day ru le?
Marriott can be up to 90 days.
Old Apr 26, 2022, 6:06 pm

Originally Posted by VegasGambler
Most likely it's because the offer terms required the line to be active for 60 days. Until the 60 day mark, you have not completed the offer.

I wonder how many of the people who never got their miles didn't read the terms and cancelled before the 60 days was up?
That makes sense! Duh. Also I just noticed that language was also on the Jan SIM card deal none of us activated.

As an aside, I got all my miles from both GC.com purchases. They must've started the paperwork on both, even though they only responded regarding one.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.