Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

AAdvantage eShopping / Cartera Questions / Discussion / Vendors / Issues (archive)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Feb 18, 2015, 5:57 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: rrgg
AAdvantage eShoppping by Cartera Commerce
Using, earning miles, problems, etc. (Consolidated thread)

American Airlines is not the contact for Cartera / AAdvantage eShopping .

AAdvantage eShopping FAQs and an e-contact form can be found via the "Contact Us" link at the bottom left corner of the home page.

If you have trouble getting purchases to track, there's also a browser extension to help.

Cartera website: http://www.cartera.com

Cartera Commerce, Inc.
One Cranberry Hill
Lexington, Massachusetts 02421

Tel. (781) 541-6800 Fax: (781) 541-6801

For general inquiries, please contact [email protected] or 888.456.6255
MODERATOR GUIDEPOST (Please do not alter contents following)

This thread is the sole thread to address issues with AAdvantage eShopping (operated by Cartera Commerce). Other queries or complaints will invariably end up merged into this thread. All posts must comply with FlyerTalk Guidelines and Rules / TOS, or may be summarily deleted or edited by moderators.

A related article, highlighting an interview of Cartera Commerce CEO Tom Bercher, is "Secrets of Cartera Commerce Revealed: Inside the Company that Brings You Miles for Online Shopping" by Gary Leff on March 3, 2014. Link.

As described in this thread, AAdvantage Shopping now offers a downloadable button installable on your desktop (not mobile) device to facilitate e-shopping. Link.

Older posts may be read at http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/ameri...or-consol.html

Notes about Giftcards.com:
  • A separate thread exists for discussing Giftcards.com and likely has more data points than this generic thread.
  • Purchases from giftcards.com earn miles on the first $2,000 spent in the named calendar month, meaning for example between March 1st and March 31st. [Note: as of Aug 2023, the $2k limit is per order, not per purchase]
  • Giftcards.com has had various limits over the years, and it was always by calendar month.
  • Some data points show the $2,000 monthly limit is not always enforced. [Note: as of Aug 2023, the $2k limit is per order, not per purchase]
  • In 2022, larger orders track more slowly, and you may need to wait a full month to see miles. Strong advice from the thread is to make multiple small purchases (say under $300) rather than large ones to avoid the dreaded "manual review"
(Copied from the LP thread wiki): Once you click through the AAdvantage eShopping portal to a vendor offer and make a purchase, you will eventually get the associated miles posted to your AAdvantage account as both redeemable miles and Loyalty Points. If the merchant advertises an increase in the miles per dollar spent, you'll earn the higher amount in both redeemable miles and an equal number of Loyalty Points. The same applies if a merchant advertises a higher fixed amount per purchase, rather than a per dollar amount. Examples of this would appear on the portal as, "Extra miles. Was 1 mile/$. Now earn 3 miles/$" or "Extra miles. Was up to 3700 miles. Now up to 6200 miles." However, if the website advertises a "Limited-time bonus offer" for "bonus miles" after meeting a spending threshold, that bonus will only post as redeemable miles and not Loyalty Points. If a bonus is offered for some site-wide activity such as 1000 miles for installing an extension, or 500 miles for enrolling in the portal, or 2000 miles for meeting a spending threshold across multiple merchants, the bonus will only post as redeemable miles and not Loyalty Points.

Some anti-virus software silently blocks tracking, and you may want to consider disabling it for your purchase.
Print Wikipost

AAdvantage eShopping / Cartera Questions / Discussion / Vendors / Issues (archive)

Search this Thread

Old Nov 27, 2017, 9:33 pm

Programs: Bonvoy Gold
Originally Posted by joepercussion1
I don't always get the tracking emails. It appears to be store specific. I have not had an issue with Shoprunner interfering. Go into your account on eShopping, and choose the recently visited section. As long as the store shows on the same day you purchased in this list, you will be fine. Worst case, if it doesn't post within 30 days, send a ticket in through the site with the requested details, and they will make sure it posts. As long as it appears on that list, I have never had an issue.

FWIW, their site is greatly improved since a few years ago. Most transactions post within a week. I have had 99% success of posting within this time frame without having to email in.
Agree. Have never experienced Shoprunner interfering with points posting.
Old Dec 27, 2017, 3:48 pm

mystery promo code?

Hello flyertalk's wise men and women of AA's shopping portal! i just made a legitimate purchase on Saks.com (shoes) thru the AA portal. i did not enter a promo code, use shoprunner, etc etc etc. i am well aware that i need to give it a week or two before i worry about not getting a confirmation email from cartera, BUT...

...a promo code called "PPSELECT" lists itself on my receipt as a payment method (along with my credit card). i did not enter PPSELECT, nor does a google search reveal anything about it, nor does it appear as a "permitted" code on saks's page on the shopping portal. i'm worried that this will invalidate my purchase with regard to earning miles.

does anyone have experience with mysterious promo codes appearing on receipts after having used a portal? or, more generally, whether or not miles will post after using un-permitted promo codes? (in case i unwittingly consented to use this code). THANK YOU!
Old Dec 28, 2017, 7:59 am
Marriott Contributor Badge

Programs: AA EXP 2MM, HH DIA, Hertz PC, GE + Pre✓, Amazon Super Special Prime
Originally Posted by orvando
Hello flyertalk's wise men and women of AA's shopping portal! i just made a legitimate purchase on Saks.com (shoes) thru the AA portal. i did not enter a promo code, use shoprunner, etc etc etc. i am well aware that i need to give it a week or two before i worry about not getting a confirmation email from cartera, BUT...

...a promo code called "PPSELECT" lists itself on my receipt as a payment method (along with my credit card). i did not enter PPSELECT, nor does a google search reveal anything about it, nor does it appear as a "permitted" code on saks's page on the shopping portal. i'm worried that this will invalidate my purchase with regard to earning miles.

does anyone have experience with mysterious promo codes appearing on receipts after having used a portal? or, more generally, whether or not miles will post after using un-permitted promo codes? (in case i unwittingly consented to use this code). THANK YOU!
I have unwittingly (and a few times willingly) used promo codes that pop up at the end of the checkout session (free shipping, $10 off a $125 purchase, etc) and more or less "auto-applied" to my order. I could have taken them off the order, but I left them on and forged ahead. Miles ended up posting without issues at least 4 times this has happened. I don't think I have ever had a non-posting situation. I have rolled the dice a few times when a promo code outweighed the value of the miles I would earn, used both portal and promo code, got the discount and the miles. Just depends on how things are coded and how high your tolerance for "risk" is.

As far as delays in posting - give it some more time before you reach out. I have had orders take the better part of 6 weeks to post to the shopping account. I would say that if you don't get any feedback (initial "your order has been tracked" email, purchase pending, etc) from the shopping portal in 4 weeks time, you should reach out then. Just as a point of reference, these orders are processed and confirmed in batches by the merchant, not one by one.

If you do reach out, I would not disclose anything related to the code you mentioned. Just the merchant name, order number, date of order, $ amount, and your email when you file a missing purchase claim on the website. They can usually get in touch with the merchant and confirm it. If they come back and state there was a code used that was unauthorized (ie not on the cartera "offers" landing page for the merchant site) and that invalidates your purchase, then you can squawk about it being auto applied and it was not an intentional use on your part. Usually they are pretty understanding when I have had issues on a variety of topics.

Hope that info helps! Sit tight for a few weeks and I bet it will work itself out.
Old Jan 22, 2018, 12:53 pm

jtav559, thanks so much for your reply. i gave it about 3 weeks, during which the transaction sat in "Store Visits" but did not move over to "Transactions". i then used the comment form to contact Cartera, who replied requesting a copy of my receipt/confirmation from the purchase. I replied with a screenshot, to which there was no further response, but less than a week later it listed correctly in "Transactions" and i got a "you've earned miles..." email. no mention of the promo code issue from Cartera (although i was careful to send a version of the receipt that didn't include the code).
Old Mar 22, 2018, 11:55 am

Programs: AAdvantage, Miles & Smiles (TK0) and others
Massive Cartera Cheat - Lowe's, Home Depot, Bonus Miles

I moved in November, and spent thousands at Lowe's, Home Depot and at other stores buying tools and outfitting my new place. Cartera didn't award even one single mile and cheated me out of promotional bonus miles as well. This morning I had to catch up with them and filed 18 claims (not including March's purchases).

Cartera was pretty good for a while, but this this a massive failboat. Apparently you have to watch them like a hawk to ensure your miles get credited, but who has time? Anyone else having problems with them lately?
Old Mar 22, 2018, 12:12 pm
Suspended

Programs: American Airlines
I really don't know what your talking about but I just wanted to reply and say I really dig your flyertalk username.
Old Mar 22, 2018, 12:27 pm

Thank you. At some Middle Eastern websites I'm not allowed to use it.
Old Mar 22, 2018, 12:47 pm

Location: USA & UK -- AA EXP 3.5MM, Hyatt Diamond, SPG Plat, Avis President's Club
Originally Posted by flamingpanties
Thank you. At some Middle Eastern websites I'm not allowed to use it.
The little ties you use, to hold pans together, caught on fire. It happens.
Old Mar 22, 2018, 1:26 pm

Originally Posted by CloudCoder
The little ties you use, to hold pans together, caught on fire. It happens.
True, all dat. Would be nice if someone commented on my Cartera problems.
Old Mar 22, 2018, 4:55 pm

I moved in November, and spent thousands at Lowe's, Home Depot and at other stores buying tools and outfitting my new place.
I've noticed lately that certain vendors seem to no longer post automatically (but others are fine).
Old Mar 22, 2018, 6:21 pm

Originally Posted by nall
I've noticed lately that certain vendors seem to no longer post automatically (but others are fine).
The certain vendors would be the ones in my post, and it's mandatory to chase after them for points?
Old Mar 22, 2018, 7:38 pm

The certain vendors would be the ones in my post, and it's mandatory to chase after them for points?
Home Depot and GoDaddy weren't posting, but a few other vendors like Walmart were. Haven't tried Lowes.
Old Mar 22, 2018, 9:07 pm

Originally Posted by nall
Home Depot and GoDaddy weren't posting, but a few other vendors like Walmart were. Haven't tried Lowes.
I've seen Walmart awards points pretty reliably using the Swagbucks toolbar. Home Depot used to also, and I'd get those email confirmations regularly that I got miles. Pretty disgusted with Cartera, Home Depot and Lowe's. I sank so much money into those stores, and more to come.
Old Mar 23, 2018, 12:36 am

Location: USA & UK -- AA EXP 3.5MM, Hyatt Diamond, SPG Plat, Avis President's Club
Collecting points is a hobby practiced by only a small subset of the general population. Part of the game is chasing after points when they're not automatically awarded. Hopefully the pain of chasing points is alleviated by the knowledge that we all chase points.
Old Mar 23, 2018, 9:10 am

Originally Posted by CloudCoder
Collecting points is a hobby practiced by only a small subset of the general population. Part of the game is chasing after points when they're not automatically awarded. Hopefully the pain of chasing points is alleviated by the knowledge that we all chase points.
So your answer is yes, they must be consistently chased. What amazed me was the number of purchases I made, and that not a single one of them were credited to my account.

The contact at Cartera got back to me today, saying I'll be getting credited for a fridge I bought around the 90 days ago mark. This was the right thing to do, although I did mention at some point I'd be taking this issue over to Flyertalk for a good Cartera flogging. Think that helped?

A week ago I returned from a European trip using miles. I still had to pay over $200 for taxes and fees, so the miles weren't so incredibly valuable. I will chase them anyway.

While on the plane I signed up for the AA credit card. Do you think I'll be getting any special consideration from them as a new cc captive?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.