Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

AAdvantage eShopping / Cartera Questions / Discussion / Vendors / Issues (archive)

Old Feb 18, 2015, 5:57 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: rrgg
AAdvantage eShoppping by Cartera Commerce
Using, earning miles, problems, etc. (Consolidated thread)

American Airlines is not the contact for Cartera / AAdvantage eShopping .

AAdvantage eShopping FAQs and an e-contact form can be found via the "Contact Us" link at the bottom left corner of the home page.

If you have trouble getting purchases to track, there's also a browser extension to help.

Cartera website: http://www.cartera.com

Cartera Commerce, Inc.
One Cranberry Hill
Lexington, Massachusetts 02421

Tel. (781) 541-6800 Fax: (781) 541-6801

For general inquiries, please contact [email protected] or 888.456.6255
MODERATOR GUIDEPOST (Please do not alter contents following)

This thread is the sole thread to address issues with AAdvantage eShopping (operated by Cartera Commerce). Other queries or complaints will invariably end up merged into this thread. All posts must comply with FlyerTalk Guidelines and Rules / TOS, or may be summarily deleted or edited by moderators.

A related article, highlighting an interview of Cartera Commerce CEO Tom Bercher, is "Secrets of Cartera Commerce Revealed: Inside the Company that Brings You Miles for Online Shopping" by Gary Leff on March 3, 2014. Link.

As described in this thread, AAdvantage Shopping now offers a downloadable button installable on your desktop (not mobile) device to facilitate e-shopping. Link.

Older posts may be read at http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/ameri...or-consol.html

Notes about Giftcards.com:
  • A separate thread exists for discussing Giftcards.com and likely has more data points than this generic thread.
  • Purchases from giftcards.com earn miles on the first $2,000 spent in the named calendar month, meaning for example between March 1st and March 31st. [Note: as of Aug 2023, the $2k limit is per order, not per purchase]
  • Giftcards.com has had various limits over the years, and it was always by calendar month.
  • Some data points show the $2,000 monthly limit is not always enforced. [Note: as of Aug 2023, the $2k limit is per order, not per purchase]
  • In 2022, larger orders track more slowly, and you may need to wait a full month to see miles. Strong advice from the thread is to make multiple small purchases (say under $300) rather than large ones to avoid the dreaded "manual review"
(Copied from the LP thread wiki): Once you click through the AAdvantage eShopping portal to a vendor offer and make a purchase, you will eventually get the associated miles posted to your AAdvantage account as both redeemable miles and Loyalty Points. If the merchant advertises an increase in the miles per dollar spent, you'll earn the higher amount in both redeemable miles and an equal number of Loyalty Points. The same applies if a merchant advertises a higher fixed amount per purchase, rather than a per dollar amount. Examples of this would appear on the portal as, "Extra miles. Was 1 mile/$. Now earn 3 miles/$" or "Extra miles. Was up to 3700 miles. Now up to 6200 miles." However, if the website advertises a "Limited-time bonus offer" for "bonus miles" after meeting a spending threshold, that bonus will only post as redeemable miles and not Loyalty Points. If a bonus is offered for some site-wide activity such as 1000 miles for installing an extension, or 500 miles for enrolling in the portal, or 2000 miles for meeting a spending threshold across multiple merchants, the bonus will only post as redeemable miles and not Loyalty Points.

Some anti-virus software silently blocks tracking, and you may want to consider disabling it for your purchase.
Print Wikipost

AAdvantage eShopping / Cartera Questions / Discussion / Vendors / Issues (archive)

Old May 1, 2019, 8:04 pm

Is all Autograph Collection hotels excluded via AA eshopping or is it just their wording? In AA website, it is worded as follow:

Mileage terms

Please note these terms & conditions: Rooms offered at specially negotiated rates, where the customer is required to be affiliated with or employed by a particular company or organization to receive the special rate (e.g., corporate rate, government rate or the Marriott employee rate) are not eligible. Rooms offered at specially negotiated rates for Marriott Bonvoy™ members (e.g. Marriott Bonvoy™ offer discount, Marriott Bonvoy™ offer package), with the exception of Marriott Bonvoy™ Member rates are not eligible. Rooms that are booked or upgraded and paid for using redeemed Marriott Bonvoy™ Points are not eligible. Rooms booked at the brands Ritz-Carlton Destination Club, Design Hotels, Bulgari, Atlantis, Autograph Collection, Bulgari Hotel, London, Joshua G.E. Medical Corp. Conference Center, Jesse Jones Rotary Conference Center, Marriott Ranch, Protea Hotel Amani Beach, Protea Hotel Mbweni Ruins, The Ritz-Carlton London, U.S. Postal Service Conference Center, Four Points by Sheraton Havana, The Cosmopolitan Las Vegas, Autograph Collection are not eligible. Not eligible on purchases made with coupon or discount codes that are not found on this site. Not eligible on gift cards, gift certificates or any other similar cash equivalents.

In Ebates website, it is worded as follow:

Exclusions: Cash Back is available only on completed hotel stay. Cash Back is not available on airfare, car rentals, vacation packages, gift cards, rooms offered at specially negotiated rates, where the customer is required to be affiliated with or employed by a particular company or organization to receive the special rate (e.g., government rate or the Marriott employee rate) and rooms that are booked and paid for using Marriott Rewards Points. Cash Back is not available at the following brands: Ritz-Carlton Destination Club, Design Hotels, Bulgari, W Hotels; and at the following properties: Atlantis, Autograph Collection, Bulgari Hotel, London, Joshua G.E. Medical Corp. Conference Center, Jesse Jones Rotary Conference Center, Marriott Ranch, Protea Hotel Amani Beach, Protea Hotel Mbweni Ruins, The Ritz-Carlton London, U.S. Postal Service Conference Center, Four Points by Sheraton Havana, The Cosmopolitan Las Vegas, Autograph Collection.

I made a booking on 15 Mar 2019 when AA had 10 miles per $ spent, for 7 nights at Prince Sakura Tower, Tokyo, an Autograph Collection hotel. The stay completed yesterday 01 May 2019.
In my eshopping acount, under Store visits it shows this:

However, on the eshopping account, it's not listed under transactions tab. Does that mean its not eligible?

I contacted CS 2 weeks ago to query this but their reply says it is excluded according to their Terms and Conditions, but website such as Ebates word it clearer to say what brands are excluded and which hotels specifically are excluded like Atlantis Autograph Collection.

Does anyone have experience in this and know how I can respond to get the miles credited?
Old May 25, 2019, 7:36 pm

Programs: American Gold, Marriott Gold, Hilton Silver
I placed an order where shipping was free, so the entire amount I spent was for merchandise. Cartera has credited me a lesser amount citing shipping costs despite the shipping being free. Should I try to get CS involved with this, or is this normal?
Old May 27, 2019, 5:24 pm

Programs: AA (EP), Hilton (Diamond), Marriott Bonvoy (Titanium)
Originally Posted by diburning
I placed an order where shipping was free, so the entire amount I spent was for merchandise. Cartera has credited me a lesser amount citing shipping costs despite the shipping being free. Should I try to get CS involved with this, or is this normal?
If it were me, I'd contact AAdvantage EShopping customer service. But be aware that taxes are also excluded, so check your receipt from the merchant to see how much you paid for the items, before taxes.
Old May 27, 2019, 6:30 pm

No taxes at all either. I've contacted them. They've requested my receipt, so I'm sending that to them now.
Old Jul 8, 2019, 3:28 pm

Programs: AS MVPG, Global Entry
Pretty disappointed with the shopping portal. Took 6 weeks to hear back about not being credited for purchase, with a rather generic reply that this doesn't qualify.
Old Jul 8, 2019, 5:41 pm

Programs: HH Diamond, Sixt Platinum, IHG Spire Ambassador, Marriott/SPG Gold .....
My solution is Ebates crediting to Amex MR
points are visible much quicker and if they seem to be missing it is resolved in no time
<removed referral link>

Last edited by JY1024; Jul 11, 2019 at 3:17 pm Reason: Referral links not allowed
Old Jul 11, 2019, 3:48 am

Originally Posted by diburning
No taxes at all either. I've contacted them. They've requested my receipt, so I'm sending that to them now.
Well, after sending them my receipt, they credited the difference. Then two weeks later, the original posting was clawed back. I sent them a contact form asking why, as I had fulfilled the terms. They looked into it and manually reposted the miles (although I have yet to see them in my AAdvantage account).

Not perfect, but I do appreciate the prompt response on Catera's part, unlike the portals that use Points.com/Collinson Latitude (they suck).
Old Jul 14, 2019, 11:47 am

Programs: Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Glob, AA EXP, Marriott Tit
Originally Posted by shekhar
I have gotten all aa miles but never from Marriott. I had total of 5k booking of Marriott which brings to 30 k miles (30k miles ). they just refused saying I did not click correctly .....how come I get everything else but just not those . I think any high value they don't release

Cheap strategy .....must say toipcashback has been very good
I've earned 29K+ miles with 10 Marriott stays in 2019. IIRC only 1 of these posted automatically. The other 9 I have had to email back and forth, send a copy of my original reservation email, complain, and put up with Cartera's stalling and blaming Marriott. I am waiting to hear back on 3 additional stays where they claim to be waiting on Marriott. I feel very fortunate to have earned 29k and will definitely NOT use their website for future Marriott bookings. The way this company does business is IMO fraudulent. They promise 10x or 6x miles then come up with numerous excuses as to why they 'cannot' post my miles. The miles are not worth my time and aggravation. It is best to speak with my wallet and not do business with Cartera. I have no doubt they already received their commission on the 3 remaining stays.
Old Dec 21, 2019, 7:44 am

Anyone know the phone # to customer service for aadvantage shopping? Could not find on the site
Old Dec 21, 2019, 8:33 am

Programs: AA EXP and Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by bernyx
Anyone know the phone # to customer service for aadvantage shopping? Could not find on the site
Cartera doesn't have one that's available. You have to contact them via their contact form.

https://www.aadvantageeshopping.com/contact____.htm
Old Jan 15, 2020, 10:38 am

Transaction listing

What should actually appear in the transaction listing on the account? The pending activity awaiting posted miles or fully posted activity?
Old Jan 15, 2020, 5:17 pm

Programs: AA EXP and Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by ridge4
What should actually appear in the transaction listing on the account? The pending activity awaiting posted miles or fully posted activity?
I'm not sure I understand your question but I'll try. On the transaction page, once they've verified that your order is legit, your order date, amount, and the number of miles will show there. Similar to this:

1800flowers.com 11/01/2019 $99.99 1000
11/01/2019
ORDER # XXXXXXXX

Once it shows there, they will batch process all of them on Monday night and the points *usually* show in your AA account on Tuesday.
Old Jan 15, 2020, 7:20 pm

Thank you, that did answer my question.

Originally Posted by Drwaz99
I'm not sure I understand your question but I'll try. On the transaction page, once they've verified that your order is legit, your order date, amount, and the number of miles will show there. Similar to this:

1800flowers.com 11/01/2019 $99.99 1000
11/01/2019
ORDER # XXXXXXXX

Once it shows there, they will batch process all of them on Monday night and the points *usually* show in your AA account on Tuesday.
Old Apr 3, 2020, 9:54 pm

eShopping is just a big scam

We were trying to build points for a honeymoon trip - unfortunately postponed now - anyway, we took some of the bonus offers and carefully followed the instructions, only to have the points removed. When we sent a=emails to customer service we were push away and told they would look into it. We waited weeks, months, and emailed again. Eventually both of us were denied (on different offers) for lies. I was able to easily prove that they were lying on my dispute using credit card bills and their own site. My fiance was told that he used "some other offer" with no explanation. He did not. He followed the rules and bought expensive flowers on Valentines Day to get points. I told him to ask for specifics. They have not responded. Has anyone else had this experience?
Old Apr 5, 2020, 10:16 am

Cartera Scam

A while back I saw a great Cartera offer....bought it...paid for it..... got merchandise...But no points
After getting jerked around for over a year, they told me the claim was dropped since it was over a year old.
They have a business model that relies on cheating customers.
The merchant confirmed that Cartera had charged them for the miles I never received.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.