Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

Name, Gender Difference, Date of Birth, Change, Errors, etc. Account, Ticket, Award

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Apr 19, 2016, 4:36 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Prospero
Trivial name differences - first and last names without middle name, blending of middle or Latin style names, etc. should not cause trouble flying, as long as the identification used displays the primary characteristics of the name on the boarding pass / ticket on AA, and on most airlines.

However, Cathay Pacific and some airlines are genuine sticklers and may not make changes at their end. Members have reported challenging times getting fixes for otherwise trivial name issues.

Changing a name on an issued ticket - reissuing the same ticket to another person - will not happen.

Changing a date of birth due to an accidental account entry must be rectified by contact with AA.; you may (or not) be asked to fax supporting documentation. Some other account changes that don’t “stick” (sometimes passport information, etc.) will also have to be called in. Contact for gender changes or issues as well. See here for AAdvantage Account contact form (AAdvantage Customer Service is only open work days 7-7 Central time.) See post #1 for contact phone numbers and aa.com contact form page illustration.

See:

U.S. Department of State: Change or Correct a Passport link

Posts prior to 2016 have been archived, and can be read here.

Signed in members with 90 days / 90 posts can edit this Wikipost. Wiki contents may be printed by using the (lower right wiki corner)
Print Wikipost

Name, Gender Difference, Date of Birth, Change, Errors, etc. Account, Ticket, Award

Search this Thread

Old Nov 6, 2016, 9:13 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA PLT,AS,UA PP,J6,FB,EY,LH,SQ,HH Dmd,Hyatt Glbl,Marriott Plat,IHG Plat,Accor Gold
Thanks for the helpful replies, folks!

Originally Posted by mvoight
Have you asked AA to change the name on her account to match her passport, to avoid concerns in the future?
Yeah, we'll make sure this problem does not crop up again down the line.
Old Nov 6, 2016, 11:28 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

At worst it means you will have to check in in person so they can verify passport name.
Old Nov 6, 2016, 11:36 am

Just fly the ticket and do not worry
Old Nov 6, 2016, 12:28 pm

Programs: AA CK, Hyatt Globalist
My passport has first, middle and last names and all my tickets are issued with first and last names only and it has never been a problem in the past ten years and at least 60 international trips on my current US passport which will expire next month.
Old Nov 6, 2016, 12:45 pm

Programs: AA EXP & million miler
German ex-girlfriend had recurring problems due to the umlaut. In German her last name was Lutzexxx with the umlaut over the u. In English it was spelled on all her docs as Luetzexxxxx. So US drivers license, etc. Believe it happened both at the desk and TSA. Never prevented her from flying but was questioned occasionally. Must happen with folks using the eszett, though I guess its been replaced by 'ss' formally.
Old Nov 6, 2016, 2:07 pm

Programs: AA EXP >3 Million miles,HH Lifetime Diamond
Originally Posted by AA100k
My passport has first, middle and last names and all my tickets are issued with first and last names only and it has never been a problem in the past ten years and at least 60 international trips on my current US passport which will expire next month.
This has been my experience as well with about the same number of trips, using AA and many partners.
Old Nov 7, 2016, 7:59 am

Programs: AA EXP, UA Plat
Incorrect Name on Email Upgrade Notification

This is the first time I've seen this one. I received an upgrade email notification this morning and the name the email is addressed to is not a name I recognize. The rest of the information is otherwise correct (record locator, passenger name, etc.).

I reviewed a number of my prior upgrade notifications and can't find anything similar. Anyone else noticed this before?

Seems like this should be a pretty easy thing to get right...
Old Nov 7, 2016, 8:42 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA PLT,AS,UA PP,J6,FB,EY,LH,SQ,HH Dmd,Hyatt Glbl,Marriott Plat,IHG Plat,Accor Gold
Thanks once again for the useful and much appreciated replies, folks.

My wife was just able to check in online, though we have to pick up her boarding pass at the airport tomorrow night. We'll leave early just in case that process takes some time.

If anyone thinks we should nevertheless try to change her AA/ticket name to be fully consistent with her passport at this point, or advice on anything else (such as what to expect in transit in Hong Kong), please weigh in. But my inclination is to not muck with this any further and to harmonize the names after we get back.

Ironically, I'm getting a message at CX's site that it can't find my ticket number, even though I confirmed it by phone with a CX rep just a couple of days ago.

Anyway, I hope I'll sort out that latest issue fairly easily.

And I'll post down the line about how things go at the airport and in transit in Hong Kong.
Old Nov 7, 2016, 9:02 am

Programs: AA Gold, Enterprise PLT, Marriott Gold
Had an issue with the gf's ticket in CUN. Her passport says Kaitlyn, her ticket says Kaity. I never had a problem anywhere as we made several international trips with no questions. However, the CUN's version of TSA would not let her through. I had to go back to the AA counter and have them change the name, which fortunately they were able to do. Then once going back through, a new security person was there, and they didn't even look at her ticket.

So I would have it fixed if you can, never know what kind of jerk you may run into.
Old Nov 7, 2016, 12:18 pm

Programs: KF,JMB, OZ, SPG,AA,UA,AS
Originally Posted by Thunderroad
I think, but again am not certain, that it won't be a problem with CX, especially since we might be able to get our boarding passes online. But I can check that at the CX forum.

And if it is a problem, any advice on how to deal with it?

Thanks for any help.
I don't think you will have any issues with CX. We fly CX regularly and my wife only has one name so we repeat it in the first and last name field and have never had an issue.
Old Nov 7, 2016, 1:01 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Thanks for both of the above replies, but thanks especially to gpeso8. This is reassuring.

Originally Posted by gpeso8
I don't think you will have any issues with CX. We fly CX regularly and my wife only has one name so we repeat it in the first and last name field and have never had an issue.
Old Nov 7, 2016, 1:33 pm

Programs: AA EXP 2.8m,Lifetime PLT, Hilton Diamond, IHG PlLT, SPG Gold
so no, most of the times I am not even getting those emails.
I could call AA and have them take care of it now, hate for you to lose your upgrade becausse of a name mix up
Old Nov 12, 2016, 7:18 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Thunderroad
Using my wife's AA miles, we have a CX award ticket for next week, flying to China via Hong Kong. The potential problem, which I'd forgotten at the time of booking the tickets, is that her AA account name is somewhat different from her passport name in the following way:

Her AA account name: First name: Joan. Last name: Smith
Her passport name: First name: Joan. Last name: Green Smith (Yes, two words in the last name. "Green" is her maiden name).

FWIW, my ticket and passport name is: First name: John. Last name: Smith

In anyone's experience, is this a potential problem? I'd think that passport control outbound in the USA and in transferring at Hong Kong would see that part of the last name on the passport matches her ticket and not have a problem, but I'm far from certain.

I think, but again am not certain, that it won't be a problem with CX, especially since we might be able to get our boarding passes online. But I can check that at the CX forum.

And if it is a problem, any advice on how to deal with it?

Thanks for any help.
Glad to report that we had absolutely no problem. Thanks again for all of your input, folks.
Old Nov 15, 2016, 9:09 pm

Programs: AA EXP >3 Million miles,HH Lifetime Diamond
Glad to hear that you had no problem. OTOH, just shows that matching people/rules are not as exact as we might be led to believe.
Old Jan 17, 2017, 3:53 pm

Programs: AA Platinum Pro
I've had this problem with my husband's AA profile. He is the fourth, so it showed Smith Iv.
His drivers license does not hav Iv but passport does. Last ticket I purchased I just let it out. However, I couldn't put in his AA umber. Previously, I've emailed them about changing profile and it sounded like a big deal and gave up.Im going to call to have them override and put in AA number.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.