Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

Name, Gender Difference, Date of Birth, Change, Errors, etc. Account, Ticket, Award

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Apr 19, 2016, 4:36 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Prospero
Trivial name differences - first and last names without middle name, blending of middle or Latin style names, etc. should not cause trouble flying, as long as the identification used displays the primary characteristics of the name on the boarding pass / ticket on AA, and on most airlines.

However, Cathay Pacific and some airlines are genuine sticklers and may not make changes at their end. Members have reported challenging times getting fixes for otherwise trivial name issues.

Changing a name on an issued ticket - reissuing the same ticket to another person - will not happen.

Changing a date of birth due to an accidental account entry must be rectified by contact with AA.; you may (or not) be asked to fax supporting documentation. Some other account changes that don’t “stick” (sometimes passport information, etc.) will also have to be called in. Contact for gender changes or issues as well. See here for AAdvantage Account contact form (AAdvantage Customer Service is only open work days 7-7 Central time.) See post #1 for contact phone numbers and aa.com contact form page illustration.

See:

U.S. Department of State: Change or Correct a Passport link

Posts prior to 2016 have been archived, and can be read here.

Signed in members with 90 days / 90 posts can edit this Wikipost. Wiki contents may be printed by using the (lower right wiki corner)
Print Wikipost

Name, Gender Difference, Date of Birth, Change, Errors, etc. Account, Ticket, Award

Search this Thread

Old May 19, 2020, 5:19 pm

Programs: AS MVPG100K, Marriott Marriott Titanium Elite, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by mrlasssen
The last two letters of my first name were omitted.
Is it a long or hyphenated first name? It is possible that it is correct in the system but truncated in displays, e-mails & on boarding passes. I have two middle names, often it is truncated. I tend to just use one since field entries for names usually won't accept a space. I have never had a problem even eliminating the second middle name on international flights, which is on my passport.

James
Old May 19, 2020, 5:34 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Flying in in the morning and just saw my first name was misspelled, The phone agent was not able to help and said I need to talk to Check-in. How much of a hassle is it correct the error?
The last two letters of my first name were omitted.
What is the route?
As posts above, unlikely to be a problem. May be able to fix at check-in desk.
Keep the physical boarding pass/phone e-boarding pass in case a problem crediting to a ffp
Old Feb 1, 2023, 7:14 am

Programs: AAdvantage Exec Platinum, Hertz #1 Club Gold Five Star, IHG Platinum, Marriott Gold, HHonors Silver
Changing Name on Ticket

A friend of mine needs to cancel a trip they purchased (Main Cabin Fare...Domestic...NOT Basic Economy, so no change fees). However, they believe they will not be able to use the value of the ticket before it expires. Can they change the ticket to someone else's name at no charge? Or is that not permitted on AA? Or is it permitted with a charge?

Thanks!
-Matt
Old Feb 1, 2023, 7:31 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP 2MM, SK EBS
Originally Posted by GNRMatt
A friend of mine needs to cancel a trip they purchased (Main Cabin Fare...Domestic...NOT Basic Economy, so no change fees). However, they believe they will not be able to use the value of the ticket before it expires. Can they change the ticket to someone else's name at no charge? Or is that not permitted on AA? Or is it permitted with a charge?

Thanks!
-Matt
I don't think name changes are permitted by any airline anywhere, except in "official" instances like marriage, divorce, etc.

Otherwise you would have an entire black market of ticket buyers & sellers buying whatever tickets then can (when they're cheap) then reselling to others for profit and just changing the name.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.