Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

Name, Gender Difference, Date of Birth, Change, Errors, etc. Account, Ticket, Award

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Apr 19, 2016, 4:36 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Prospero
Trivial name differences - first and last names without middle name, blending of middle or Latin style names, etc. should not cause trouble flying, as long as the identification used displays the primary characteristics of the name on the boarding pass / ticket on AA, and on most airlines.

However, Cathay Pacific and some airlines are genuine sticklers and may not make changes at their end. Members have reported challenging times getting fixes for otherwise trivial name issues.

Changing a name on an issued ticket - reissuing the same ticket to another person - will not happen.

Changing a date of birth due to an accidental account entry must be rectified by contact with AA.; you may (or not) be asked to fax supporting documentation. Some other account changes that don’t “stick” (sometimes passport information, etc.) will also have to be called in. Contact for gender changes or issues as well. See here for AAdvantage Account contact form (AAdvantage Customer Service is only open work days 7-7 Central time.) See post #1 for contact phone numbers and aa.com contact form page illustration.

See:

U.S. Department of State: Change or Correct a Passport link

Posts prior to 2016 have been archived, and can be read here.

Signed in members with 90 days / 90 posts can edit this Wikipost. Wiki contents may be printed by using the (lower right wiki corner)
Print Wikipost

Name, Gender Difference, Date of Birth, Change, Errors, etc. Account, Ticket, Award

Search this Thread

Old Feb 2, 2016, 7:56 pm

My wife just got her Global Entry ID, which requires First, Middle, Last names.

On her GE profile, her first and middle names are "Mary" , "Jane" (which is correct).
However, in her AA profile she's listed with first name "Mary Jane" and no middle name.

She hasn't flown since receiving GE. Does anyone think the minor discrepancy in names will pose a problem, with getting TSA pre-check, or actually using GE?

Is it possible to have AA correct her profile name(s) within the aa.com database?
Old Feb 3, 2016, 12:14 pm

Programs: Marriott LTT, Amtrak Select, Hertz 5*, AA Gold, IHG Plat, National Exec
Originally Posted by Alfonso XIV
My wife just got her Global Entry ID, which requires First, Middle, Last names.

On her GE profile, her first and middle names are "Mary" , "Jane" (which is correct).
However, in her AA profile she's listed with first name "Mary Jane" and no middle name.

She hasn't flown since receiving GE. Does anyone think the minor discrepancy in names will pose a problem, with getting TSA pre-check, or actually using GE?

Is it possible to have AA correct her profile name(s) within the aa.com database?
I would have AA change the name in her profile to make Jane a middle name. I was able to have them make a change to my name after the conversion from US Airways. US had my last name as SmithJr. That is, last name included the Jr suffix as part of the name. Our travel agent would issue tickets as Smith Jr. I was having problems getting my elite benefits because the names didn't match exactly. Contacted AA and they changed last name to Smith with Jr as a suffix and it works fine now. I would think they could make the same update to fix her first and middle names.
Old Feb 3, 2016, 12:44 pm

Programs: AA LTP, Bonvoy Titanium; AA CK before I retired
Originally Posted by bchandler02
As a Jr., I agree. It's a pain.
As a Jr., I can attest that it's a never-ending pain, especially if you travel internationally often. I did not pass the name to my sons. If anyone reading this is considering making your son a Jr., don't.
Old Feb 3, 2016, 12:47 pm

Programs: AAdvantage
AA's policy is not to include suffixes in names on reservations, though it does create issues with name mismatches during online check-in when the passport includes it and swipes with it.

I believe Secure Flight works the same way with omitting the suffix. Presumably the suffix is redundant since they already have the date of birth.

A Google search turned up this document: https://www.americanairlines.co.uk/c...k/PDF/SFPD.pdf

NOTE: IN ALL CASES, SFPD OR APIS THE NAMES MUST BE ENTERED EXACTLY AS THEY APPEAR ON A GOVERNMENT ISSUED PICTURE ID EXCLUDING THE SUFFIX
Please do not use a suffix in the name field of the PNR or for the SFPD/APIS information.

Last edited by ThreeJulietTango; Feb 3, 2016 at 12:52 pm
Old Apr 10, 2016, 8:27 pm

First/last name switched on partner award reservation (on hold)... what to do?

I just called AA Australia to place a hold on an itinerary involving EY. Specifically, it's an F award for MLE-AUH-JFK-LAX for 2 people. Unfortunately, the agent switched the first and last names of one of the passengers. I called AA in US right now to ask if they can just switch the first and last names. The itinerary is just on hold so I hoped it would be relatively simple, but because it involves a partner airline, the agent said it would have to go to another desk to correct. My concern with this is that the "other desk" would simply cancel-rebook the flights, which may be a problem considering US AA can't see premium EY award seats for some reason.

My other option is to call AA Australia to cancel the hold, then rebook immediately with the correct names, but I'm worried about losing the seats if these coveted EY F seats don't repopulate immediately. Any ideas?
Old Apr 10, 2016, 9:47 pm

Programs: AA EP
Why don't u call Australia and have them work with whomever they have to to reverse the names. Obviously there was a misunderstanding with the Aus desk agent. I would call fairly quickly so that it can be rectified.
Old Apr 11, 2016, 7:28 am

Originally Posted by AAExecPlatFlier
Why don't u call Australia and have them work with whomever they have to to reverse the names. Obviously there was a misunderstanding with the Aus desk agent. I would call fairly quickly so that it can be rectified.
I called AA AUS and the agent said she had to send it over to another desk who will contact EY. She said the process can take up to 4 business days... which is about when my hold expires.
Old Apr 11, 2016, 8:16 am
Suspended

That's the process, hopefully will happen in time (I suspect it will.)
Attached Images  
Old Apr 18, 2016, 12:52 pm
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: AA (Gold), Alaska MVP, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Plat, IHG Plat, SPG Gold,
First/middle name incorrect on reservation, AA says that's okay

I booked tickets on AA using Chase UR points. The name came through incorrectly on the reservation. It shows correctly on the Chase site but incorrect on the AA site.

It should say:

Mary Jane Smith

but it is showing up as:

Maryjane Smith

I was able to input my KTN number but I'm still worried that I won't get TSA-pre or will have some sort of hassle at the airport.

I phoned AA and the agent says it's okay to leave the reservation as it is (with the wrong name issue) and wouldn't change it for me.

Advice please? HUCA, tweet AA? Or just leave it alone?
Old Apr 18, 2016, 1:04 pm

Programs: BA Gold; Hilton Honors Diamond
It should be fine. First and middle names usually concatenate on reservation systems and I have never known anyone to have an issue with it.
Old Apr 18, 2016, 1:05 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage, Travel Safety/Security & Texas, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA, HHonors, Hertz
Originally Posted by TxTrav
I was able to input my KTN number but I'm still worried that I won't get TSA-pre or will have some sort of hassle at the airport.
This happens to me when I book my corporate travel through our agency.

I've never had any issues getting pre-check nor have I had any other issues at the airport.
Old Apr 18, 2016, 1:14 pm

Programs: AA EXP OWE, DL DM ST+, AS MVPG, UA, BA, WN CP, Hyatt E, Ritz Plat, HH GM
Had this happen to me a couple days ago, no problems with pre check. I don't know if it'll help but you can put your middle name again in the middle name field. I put mine so it was Johndoe doe Smith.
Old Apr 18, 2016, 1:24 pm
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: AA (Gold), Alaska MVP, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Plat, IHG Plat, SPG Gold,
Originally Posted by hiima
Had this happen to me a couple days ago, no problems with pre check. I don't know if it'll help but you can put your middle name again in the middle name field. I put mine so it was Johndoe doe Smith.
Yes, I did that too. So now it says

Maryjane Jane Smith

Oh well, I'll hope for the best. This happened on another rez (booked via Citi TY points site). But when I called AA they fixed it that time. Don't know why they wouldn't fix it this time.
Old Apr 18, 2016, 2:20 pm

i too used Chase UR points and my airline ticket did the same thing with my first and middle names. I still got my TSA Precheck. This was in the past 90 days.
Old Apr 18, 2016, 2:29 pm

Programs: AA EXP OWE, DL DM ST+, AS MVPG, UA, BA, WN CP, Hyatt E, Ritz Plat, HH GM
Originally Posted by TxTrav
Yes, I did that too. So now it says

Maryjane Jane Smith

Oh well, I'll hope for the best. This happened on another rez (booked via Citi TY points site). But when I called AA they fixed it that time. Don't know why they wouldn't fix it this time.
Got mine on typ too. I've had no problems in the last 10 or so flights booked that way in the last year.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.