Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

Name, Gender Difference, Date of Birth, Change, Errors, etc. Account, Ticket, Award

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Apr 19, 2016, 4:36 am
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Prospero
Trivial name differences - first and last names without middle name, blending of middle or Latin style names, etc. should not cause trouble flying, as long as the identification used displays the primary characteristics of the name on the boarding pass / ticket on AA, and on most airlines.

However, Cathay Pacific and some airlines are genuine sticklers and may not make changes at their end. Members have reported challenging times getting fixes for otherwise trivial name issues.

Changing a name on an issued ticket - reissuing the same ticket to another person - will not happen.

Changing a date of birth due to an accidental account entry must be rectified by contact with AA.; you may (or not) be asked to fax supporting documentation. Some other account changes that don’t “stick” (sometimes passport information, etc.) will also have to be called in. Contact for gender changes or issues as well. See here for AAdvantage Account contact form (AAdvantage Customer Service is only open work days 7-7 Central time.) See post #1 for contact phone numbers and aa.com contact form page illustration.

See:

U.S. Department of State: Change or Correct a Passport link

Posts prior to 2016 have been archived, and can be read here.

Signed in members with 90 days / 90 posts can edit this Wikipost. Wiki contents may be printed by using the (lower right wiki corner)
Print Wikipost

Name, Gender Difference, Date of Birth, Change, Errors, etc. Account, Ticket, Award

Search this Thread

Old Apr 18, 2016, 2:40 pm

Programs: AS MVPG
Maybe it's something else, but when using TYP I've always had issues when it combines my first and middle name. Last time I didn't get Pre at online check-in I called AA and asked to fix my TSA info, they did and got Pre.

I started booking TYP reservations without putting my middle name in, then after making the reservation go to AA.com and put my middle name in. That's worked 100% of the time.
Old Apr 18, 2016, 5:56 pm
Hilton Contributor Badge

Programs: AA (Gold), Alaska MVP, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Plat, IHG Plat, SPG Gold,
Originally Posted by alphaeagle
Maybe it's something else, but when using TYP I've always had issues when it combines my first and middle name. Last time I didn't get Pre at online check-in I called AA and asked to fix my TSA info, they did and got Pre.

I started booking TYP reservations without putting my middle name in, then after making the reservation go to AA.com and put my middle name in. That's worked 100% of the time.
After two mix ups with TYP and UR I'll take your suggestion for the next time I use one of these sites for booking. Just leave out the middle name. Anyone had this same problem with Amex Travel using MR for the rez?
Old Apr 18, 2016, 6:21 pm

Programs: AA EXP, HH Diamond
It's been OK for me. I have a suffix "III" that sometimes runs into my last name. Sometimes it gets truncated and the then it only reads "lastnameII" ... I've been delighted and TSA precheck works even with this on the ticket. I make sure my TSA known traveler number is in the airline reservation system.
Old Apr 18, 2016, 9:13 pm

Programs: Alaska 100k
There's no need to make changes. I've booked many tickets from TAs and seen the "Firstmiddle Last" issue on AS, AA, DL, UA. I get PreCheck every time.
Old Apr 19, 2016, 4:14 am

Programs: AA EXP, DL DM, SPG Plat, Hilton Gold
You can, in the future, just leave off your middle name. It does not matter in the slightest. I have booked many many tickets, domestic and international, without my middle name and never had a problem with pre-check or anything else.
Old Apr 19, 2016, 4:37 am
Moderator: American AAdvantage, Signatures

Programs: UA 1K, Hilton Diamond, IHG Diamond Ambassador, National Exec, AA EXP Emeritus
Originally Posted by TxTrav
I booked tickets on AA using Chase UR points. The name came through incorrectly on the reservation. It shows correctly on the Chase site but incorrect on the AA site.

It should say:

Mary Jane Smith

but it is showing up as:

Maryjane Smith

I was able to input my KTN number but I'm still worried that I won't get TSA-pre or will have some sort of hassle at the airport.

I phoned AA and the agent says it's okay to leave the reservation as it is (with the wrong name issue) and wouldn't change it for me.

Advice please? HUCA, tweet AA? Or just leave it alone?
This is being merged into the extant consolidated thread discussing name changes and name issues.

~Moderator
Old Jul 19, 2016, 9:48 am

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond, UA 1K, Hertz Platinum
Award Travel on CX Today No middle Name

AA booked an award ticket for me without a middle name per CX. AA claims that it is in my secure passenger profile and things are golden! CX says without middle name you will have difficulties at the airport. I have spoken with several AA reps all saying NO PROBLEM, which is contradicting CX. I will be leaving in 10 hours. Any suggestions... International travel

thanks
Old Jul 19, 2016, 10:03 am

I've flown CX many times with no middle name (though it is in my passport)...
Old Jul 19, 2016, 10:18 am
Moderator: American AAdvantage
Original Poster

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
You shouldn't have any difficulties at airports.
Old Jul 19, 2016, 10:57 am
Original Member

Programs: AA (Life Plat), Marriott (Life Titanium) and every other US program
Generally speaking I don't use my middle name. The State of California still requires it for my Driver's License. But an advantage of a U.S. Passport is that they don't require middle name. So my Passport (and Passport ID Card) don't have a middle name, which matches my reservations.
Old Jul 19, 2016, 10:59 am

Programs: AA PLTPRO, HH Diamond, IHG Plat, Marriott Plat, Hyatt Globalist
As a rule, I don't ever include my middle name on flight reservations - even though it's in my passport. Mine is hyphenated in my passport but not on my drivers license. I have issues in systems where they sometimes do and don't allow the hyphen.

As I understand it, middles names are not required so I just leave it out versus having non-matching versions of it from time to time.
Old Jul 19, 2016, 11:52 am
Moderator, Amtrak & Spirit Airlines

Programs: AC 50K, AS MVP, AA Plat Pro, DL Plat, UA Silver, IHG Spire, Marriott Titanium, Hertz PC
Yeah I echo what was said here. I have flown CX 10+ times with no middle name on my reservation although it does appear in my passport.
Old Jul 19, 2016, 12:43 pm

Originally Posted by zxsuxr
AA booked an award ticket for me without a middle name per CX. AA claims that it is in my secure passenger profile and things are golden! CX says without middle name you will have difficulties at the airport. I have spoken with several AA reps all saying NO PROBLEM, which is contradicting CX. I will be leaving in 10 hours. Any suggestions... International travel

thanks
You may get into problems in at HKG because the first+last name does not match the full name on your passport. This happened to me a few times before when I flew on codeshare. After those few times, I had to call AA to change my account info and put the middle name portion under first name with a 'space'. Just get there a bit earlier...
Old Jul 19, 2016, 2:13 pm

Programs: Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond, UA 1K, Hertz Platinum
Originally Posted by calvin16662002
You may get into problems in at HKG because the first+last name does not match the full name on your passport. This happened to me a few times before when I flew on codeshare. After those few times, I had to call AA to change my account info and put the middle name portion under first name with a 'space'. Just get there a bit earlier...
Yes, I had this done last year, and it was FirstMiddle...
HKG is not my final destination period so hopefully transiting would be easier? How bothersome was the ordeal? did it happen at the Gate or it was a check-in issue?

thanks to all that chimed in BTW
Old Jul 19, 2016, 2:23 pm

No problem what so ever. do not even spend another minute worrying. Unless your name is similar to a known bad guy.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.