Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

AA Bump Rates; compensation for VDB / Voluntary Denied Boarding (master thread)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Mar 31, 2016, 5:15 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Prospero
AA Bump Rates: Volunteer Compensation / Voluntary Denied Boarding

Passengers involuntarily denied boarding on AA are denied usually after calls for volunteers to accept vouchers (and occasionally variable other benefits), usually beginning at $200 or $300 but possibly going significantly higher, depending on passenger response. See more below, including AA Conditions of Carriage.

See IDB / Involuntarily Denied Boarding on AA & Compensation (master thread) for INVOLUNTARILY denied boarding.

Link to US Dept. of Transportation Aviation Consumer Protection Division's "Fly-Rights - A Consumer Guide to Air Travel" section on Overbooking

"IDB" (involuntarily denied boarding) compensation is governed in the USA by "14 CFR 250.5 - Amount of denied boarding compensation for passengers denied boarding involuntarily".

Link to CFR §250.5; as well:

14 CFR § 250.2b Carriers to request volunteers for denied boarding.
(a) In the event of an oversold flight, every carrier shall request volunteers for denied boarding before using any other boarding priority. A “volunteer” is a person who responds to the carrier's request for volunteers and who willingly accepts the carriers' offer of compensation, in any amount, in exchange for relinquishing the confirmed reserved space. Any other passenger denied boarding is considered for purposes of this part to have been denied boarding involuntarily, even if that passenger accepts the denied boarding compensation.

(b) Every carrier shall advise each passenger solicited to volunteer for denied boarding, no later than the time the carrier solicits that passenger to volunteer, whether he or she is in danger of being involuntarily denied boarding and, if so, the compensation the carrier is obligated to pay if the passenger is involuntarily denied boarding. If an insufficient number of volunteers come forward, the carrier may deny boarding to other passengers in accordance with its boarding priority rules.

14 CFR § 250.9 Written explanation of denied boarding compensation and boarding priorities, and verbal notification of denied boarding compensation.
(a) Every carrier shall furnish passengers who are denied boarding involuntarily from flights on which they hold confirmed reserved space immediately after the denied boarding occurs, a written statement explaining the terms, conditions, and limitations of denied boarding compensation, and describing the carriers' boarding priority rules and criteria. The carrier shall also furnish the statement to any person upon request at all airport ticket selling positions which are in the charge of a person employed exclusively by the carrier, or by it jointly with another person or persons, and at all boarding locations being used by the carrier.

Link to AA Conditions of Carriage, "Oversales"

In the European Union, EC261/2004 governs denied boarding compensation.

Link to EC261 / EC 261/2004 complaints and AA (master thread)

On American Airlines, you are sometimes ineligible for IDB as allowed by the USDOT:
If a flight is oversold (more passengers hold confirmed reservations than there are seats available), no one may be denied boarding against his or her will until airline personnel first ask for volunteers who will give up their reservation willingly, in exchange for compensation of the airline’s choosing. If there are not enough volunteers, other passengers may be denied boarding involuntarily in accordance with the following boarding priority of American. In such events, American will usually deny boarding based upon check-in time, but we may also consider factors such as severe hardships, fare paid, and status within the AAdvantage® program.

If you are denied boarding involuntarily, you are entitled to a payment of
‘‘denied boarding compensation’’ from the airline unless:

- You have not fully complied with the airline’s ticketing, check-in and reconfirmation requirements, or you are not acceptable for transportation under the airline’s usual rules and practices; or

- You are denied boarding because the flight is canceled; or

You are denied boarding because a smaller capacity aircraft was substituted for safety or operational reasons; or

- On a flight operated with an aircraft having 60 or fewer seats, you are denied boarding due to safety-related weight/balance restrictions that limit payload; or

- You are offered accommodations in a section of the aircraft other than specified in your ticket, at no extra charge (a passenger seated in a section for which a lower fare is charged must be given an appropriate refund); or

- The airline is able to place you on another flight or flights that are planned to reach your next stopover or final destination within one hour of the planned arrival time of your original flight.[/code]

The previous thread is http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/ameri...solidated.html
Print Wikipost

AA Bump Rates; compensation for VDB / Voluntary Denied Boarding (master thread)

Search this Thread

Old Dec 18, 2023, 12:17 pm

Programs: UA Million Miler
18 Dec 2023 AA MIA-TPA $675 VDB

Was booked in basic economy. Via online check in, I opted to be placed on volunteer list. $675.

My seat was given to an AA FA who was needed in TPA. Was issued the $675 credit e-voucher, a $12 meal voucher and was rebooked on the next flight.
friedablass and FriendlySkies like this.
Old Feb 16, 2024, 12:54 pm

Flight from BTR-DFW was oversold by one on Wednesday, February 14. (Of note, in the app, I had the opportunity to change my flight for a $150 credit the day before travel.) I had selected to be on the volunteer list for $350. I'm not sure if this was the highest or lowest amount, but I recall it being the bottom right rectangle. About 10 minutes before boarding, the gate agent called 3-4 names to see them at the podium. (FWIW, the flight had 6 open seats in FC, and the standby list showed 6 passengers but 0 availability.) I had assumed the names called were for new boarding passes due to FC upgrades. I checked the app, and the names called didn't match the list. I went to the agent, but was second in line (d'oh!). The first customer took the offer of $350. Overhearing the conversation, the passenger was flying BTR-DFW-MCI. Agent said there were no space out of BTR the rest of the day, so they would be routed through MSY. Also, the agent confirmed the passenger in FC for the new itinerary of MSY-DFW-MCI. The passenger had checked luggage, and AA gave him the option to reclaim the bags, or send the bags through to MCI. In addition, AA paid for the cab to get from BTR to MSY!

I thought passengers couldn't be separated from checked luggage on a flight? Except in situations where luggage is misrouted or mishandled. Also found it very interesting that AA picked up the tab for the taxi and airport transfer.

In the future, I may ask the agent if the flight is oversold, and if so, would like to be considered first to volunteer. Would there be any benefit to being proactive to be selected first, as opposed to a mad dash to the gate counter when volunteers are needed?
Old Feb 16, 2024, 1:05 pm

Programs: AAdvantage
Originally Posted by tbone14
Flight from BTR-DFW was oversold by one on Wednesday, February 14. (Of note, in the app, I had the opportunity to change my flight for a $150 credit the day before travel.) I had selected to be on the volunteer list for $350. I'm not sure if this was the highest or lowest amount, but I recall it being the bottom right rectangle. About 10 minutes before boarding, the gate agent called 3-4 names to see them at the podium. (FWIW, the flight had 6 open seats in FC, and the standby list showed 6 passengers but 0 availability.) I had assumed the names called were for new boarding passes due to FC upgrades. I checked the app, and the names called didn't match the list. I went to the agent, but was second in line (d'oh!). The first customer took the offer of $350. Overhearing the conversation, the passenger was flying BTR-DFW-MCI. Agent said there were no space out of BTR the rest of the day, so they would be routed through MSY. Also, the agent confirmed the passenger in FC for the new itinerary of MSY-DFW-MCI. The passenger had checked luggage, and AA gave him the option to reclaim the bags, or send the bags through to MCI. In addition, AA paid for the cab to get from BTR to MSY!

I thought passengers couldn't be separated from checked luggage on a flight? Except in situations where luggage is misrouted or mishandled. Also found it very interesting that AA picked up the tab for the taxi and airport transfer.

In the future, I may ask the agent if the flight is oversold, and if so, would like to be considered first to volunteer. Would there be any benefit to being proactive to be selected first, as opposed to a mad dash to the gate counter when volunteers are needed?
My experience has been when multiple volunteers are selected the number one volunteer is usually based upon ease of reconfirming and/or status. You would think AA would want to give the voucher to an infrequent FF that might lose it or have no idea how to redeem it-assuming it's paper. I on the other hand would put that voucher to use almost immediately.
Old Feb 16, 2024, 1:11 pm

Programs: American Airlines Executive Platinum, AmEx Membership Rewards
The benefit would be not losing out on the voucher if multiple people volunteer for limited spots. I almost always head down to the gate early just to see if volunteers will be needed. The off chance that I get a few hundred dollars in flight credits is more than worth sacrificing an extra 20 minutes in the lounge.
tbone14 likes this.
Old Feb 16, 2024, 1:18 pm

Programs: AA ExPl, DL PM, UA Silver, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Titanium, probably some others

That rule is only for international flights.

Agent is going to ask for volunteers and try to get the lowest possible rate, whether you're first in line or not. Being the first person in line after she makes that call is what will get you the best chance of being bumped, so I'd stand near the line if you think it's likely.
Old Feb 16, 2024, 2:02 pm
fti
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lots of programs, dirt on all of them!
I always check the load factor before heading to the airport. If the flight looks like it might be oversold, I try to be the first one at the gate agent desk to ask if they might need volunteers. One time with AA when I did this, they ended up taking me as a volunteer and never even made an announcement about volunteering. YMMV but it can't hurt to speak up if you want to be considered for VDB.
D3Kingg likes this.
Old Apr 5, 2024, 7:44 am

Programs: AA EXP; Avis PC; Hertz PC; Marriott LT Gold; Hilton Diamond
If I volunteer and am elected to change flights and receive compensation, if I cancel the rescheduled flight, do I lose the compensation?
Old Apr 5, 2024, 10:13 am
Used to be 'g_leyser'

Location: Brandon Johnson International Airport (expect delays)
Programs: AA PlatPro, HH Gold, Bonvoy Gold, IHG Plat, Reno Air MEGA Platinum
Originally Posted by HofstraJet
If I volunteer and am elected to change flights and receive compensation, if I cancel the rescheduled flight, do I lose the compensation?
Nope. Once you receive the compensation, it's yours. What you do after that, is irrelevant.
HofstraJet, Global321 and samosa like this.
Old Apr 5, 2024, 3:01 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA CONCIERGE KEY & 1MM, HILTON DIAMOND
Originally Posted by aisleorwindow
Nope. Once you receive the compensation, it's yours. What you do after that, is irrelevant.
Yep exactly and sometimes it works in your favor, e.g., flying into MIA and then your rebooked MCO or TPA leg is severely delayed... you can cancel and keep the compensation. Did this once and ended up spending the night in Miami Beach and then took AMTRAK the next day in Sleeper Class which was super fun.
samosa likes this.
Old Apr 5, 2024, 6:47 pm

Programs: Platinum Pro. .Hilton Honors Gold,
I’m 0 for 100 times I’ve been asked how much I’d be willing to pay to volunteer. Do people actually get volunteered ? I end up going to the airport and it never happens. Are there any routes that consistently get oversold ?
Old Apr 6, 2024, 10:01 am

Programs: AAdvantage
Originally Posted by D3Kingg
I’m 0 for 100 times I’ve been asked how much I’d be willing to pay to volunteer. Do people actually get volunteered ? I end up going to the airport and it never happens. Are there any routes that consistently get oversold ?
Even when I have volunteered at the gate never needed. It's come to the point where I've stopped because of the hassle of boarding late and finding room near by me for my bag. Those offers on the app are a total joke. You get to the gate at T-45 and 10 standbys have already cleared. I would imagine real bumps are on popular routes at popular times (think flights to Hawaii in winter) where people are going to show up. But even that seems very minimal. AA seems to have heavily invested algos to the point of overselling but where AA doesn't have to actually pay out a bump compensation.
D3Kingg likes this.
Old Apr 6, 2024, 12:58 pm

Originally Posted by EXP100
AA seems to have heavily invested algos to the point of overselling but where AA doesn't have to actually pay out a bump compensation.
that is their goal and maximizes their $.
When they do this, they're hitting homeruns
Old Apr 7, 2024, 2:34 pm

Programs: AA EXP; Avis PC; Hertz PC; Marriott LT Gold; Hilton Diamond
Is a flight ever oversold so badly that they would accept VDB offers prior to boarding or earlier in the day?

I have a late flight, last of the day, and the offers start at $500 and go up to (or maybe over) $1,000, so I'm guessing the situation is pretty bad.

If I VDB I would be flying out the next morning so it would be nice to just get the offer accepted during the day before I have to head to the airport (it's an outbound from home and flying the next day isn't a huge issue so with decent comp, I'd take the bump).

Does that ever happen?
salut0 likes this.
Old Apr 7, 2024, 4:32 pm

Is a flight ever oversold so badly that they would accept VDB offers prior to boarding or earlier in the day?

I have a late flight, last of the day, and the offers start at $500 and go up to (or maybe over) $1,000, so I'm guessing the situation is pretty bad.

If I VDB I would be flying out the next morning so it would be nice to just get the offer accepted during the day before I have to head to the airport (it's an outbound from home and flying the next day isn't a huge issue so with decent comp, I'd take the bump).

Does that ever happen?
Yes. But exceeding rare. I had it on a flight to Paris. Back story was a widebody went mechanical and they could not get a replacement, so one of two flights canceled the next day. They actually called me the day before.
That was the only time I had it happen.
HofstraJet likes this.
Old Apr 7, 2024, 9:51 pm

Programs: AA PPro BA Bronze SPG Gold HH GLD Hyatt Exp

Does that ever happen?
IME they call and it is typically on international routes and/or equipment swaps.
Global321 likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.