Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

AA Bump Rates; compensation for VDB / Voluntary Denied Boarding (master thread)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Mar 31, 2016, 5:15 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Prospero
AA Bump Rates: Volunteer Compensation / Voluntary Denied Boarding

Passengers involuntarily denied boarding on AA are denied usually after calls for volunteers to accept vouchers (and occasionally variable other benefits), usually beginning at $200 or $300 but possibly going significantly higher, depending on passenger response. See more below, including AA Conditions of Carriage.

See IDB / Involuntarily Denied Boarding on AA & Compensation (master thread) for INVOLUNTARILY denied boarding.

Link to US Dept. of Transportation Aviation Consumer Protection Division's "Fly-Rights - A Consumer Guide to Air Travel" section on Overbooking

"IDB" (involuntarily denied boarding) compensation is governed in the USA by "14 CFR 250.5 - Amount of denied boarding compensation for passengers denied boarding involuntarily".

Link to CFR §250.5; as well:

14 CFR § 250.2b Carriers to request volunteers for denied boarding.
(a) In the event of an oversold flight, every carrier shall request volunteers for denied boarding before using any other boarding priority. A “volunteer” is a person who responds to the carrier's request for volunteers and who willingly accepts the carriers' offer of compensation, in any amount, in exchange for relinquishing the confirmed reserved space. Any other passenger denied boarding is considered for purposes of this part to have been denied boarding involuntarily, even if that passenger accepts the denied boarding compensation.

(b) Every carrier shall advise each passenger solicited to volunteer for denied boarding, no later than the time the carrier solicits that passenger to volunteer, whether he or she is in danger of being involuntarily denied boarding and, if so, the compensation the carrier is obligated to pay if the passenger is involuntarily denied boarding. If an insufficient number of volunteers come forward, the carrier may deny boarding to other passengers in accordance with its boarding priority rules.

14 CFR § 250.9 Written explanation of denied boarding compensation and boarding priorities, and verbal notification of denied boarding compensation.
(a) Every carrier shall furnish passengers who are denied boarding involuntarily from flights on which they hold confirmed reserved space immediately after the denied boarding occurs, a written statement explaining the terms, conditions, and limitations of denied boarding compensation, and describing the carriers' boarding priority rules and criteria. The carrier shall also furnish the statement to any person upon request at all airport ticket selling positions which are in the charge of a person employed exclusively by the carrier, or by it jointly with another person or persons, and at all boarding locations being used by the carrier.

Link to AA Conditions of Carriage, "Oversales"

In the European Union, EC261/2004 governs denied boarding compensation.

Link to EC261 / EC 261/2004 complaints and AA (master thread)

On American Airlines, you are sometimes ineligible for IDB as allowed by the USDOT:
If a flight is oversold (more passengers hold confirmed reservations than there are seats available), no one may be denied boarding against his or her will until airline personnel first ask for volunteers who will give up their reservation willingly, in exchange for compensation of the airline’s choosing. If there are not enough volunteers, other passengers may be denied boarding involuntarily in accordance with the following boarding priority of American. In such events, American will usually deny boarding based upon check-in time, but we may also consider factors such as severe hardships, fare paid, and status within the AAdvantage® program.

If you are denied boarding involuntarily, you are entitled to a payment of
‘‘denied boarding compensation’’ from the airline unless:

- You have not fully complied with the airline’s ticketing, check-in and reconfirmation requirements, or you are not acceptable for transportation under the airline’s usual rules and practices; or

- You are denied boarding because the flight is canceled; or

You are denied boarding because a smaller capacity aircraft was substituted for safety or operational reasons; or

- On a flight operated with an aircraft having 60 or fewer seats, you are denied boarding due to safety-related weight/balance restrictions that limit payload; or

- You are offered accommodations in a section of the aircraft other than specified in your ticket, at no extra charge (a passenger seated in a section for which a lower fare is charged must be given an appropriate refund); or

- The airline is able to place you on another flight or flights that are planned to reach your next stopover or final destination within one hour of the planned arrival time of your original flight.[/code]

The previous thread is http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/ameri...solidated.html
Print Wikipost

AA Bump Rates; compensation for VDB / Voluntary Denied Boarding (master thread)

Search this Thread

Old Nov 23, 2019, 10:42 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime PLT, AS MVPG, HH Diamond, NCL Platinum Plus, MSC Diamond
Originally Posted by AA_ORDlady
11/16 GCM-CLT. Day of flight the app was offering $200, $300, $450 and $550 (noticed it around 6 hours prior to departure). DH and I each bid $550.
Gate agent said they only needed 3 seats but gave us and one other couple $550 each (they also bid via app).
No announcement was ever made at the gate.
Confirmed our choice of routes home and that they would pay for hotel and meal vouchers (and keep MCE seating) prior to agreeing. They seemed quite flexible regarding routing and flight choices.

Flew us to DFW later that night, $20/ea meal voucher, plus $12/ea breakfast voucher and hotel in Dallas. Flew home to ORD the next morning (about 12 hours later than original flights).
How does this work? Did they call you to the counter because you had bid $550, and then you had the option of making sure you got hotel, food, and agreeable flights and seating?
Old Nov 24, 2019, 8:11 am

Programs: UA 1K 1MM ★G | Marriott LTT | Hilton ♦ | Hertz PC | Global Entry TSA Pre ✓
Originally Posted by mvoight
How does this work? Did they call you to the counter because you had bid $550, and then you had the option of making sure you got hotel, food, and agreeable flights and seating?
95% of the time, this happens at the gate with the gate agents. In this case, the OP was proactive and asked before the announcements needed to be made. This is the best way to get rewarded.
Old Nov 24, 2019, 11:03 am
Suspended

Programs: AAdvantage PP
My experience is that the GAs seem to be clueless to someone else that volunteered via the app. I have to wonder how many paxs are going to volunteer for $100? The entire process of volunteering is such a hassle and then in most cases not needed no way I’m volunteering for anything less than $300.
Old Nov 24, 2019, 11:24 am

Programs: AA EXP; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott Bonvoy Titanium Elite
Last 3 times it's showed up in the apps, it's been $150 $250 or $350, and I'll ask if they're still looking for someone, which they say they are, I'll tell them I'll take it for $500 if they need someone and I always get a snide remark or a chuckle and a "no, we're good" kind of response.
Old Nov 24, 2019, 11:51 pm

Changes as of November 19 on week ago?

https://onemileatatime.com/american-...-compensation/

I did a search with the faulty search function . Any thread on this ?
Old Nov 25, 2019, 5:05 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by writetorich
https://onemileatatime.com/american-...-compensation/

I did a search with the faulty search function . Any thread on this ?
It's been included in this thread. Bottom line is that Parker and company are trying to reduce VDB compensation costs by luring paxs into nominal amounts. How success they will be? Depends on how dumb people are and do they understand the hassles and risks when you volunteer? Hopefully this idea bombs.
Old Nov 25, 2019, 10:24 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime PLT, AS MVPG, HH Diamond, NCL Platinum Plus, MSC Diamond
Originally Posted by seigex
Last 3 times it's showed up in the apps, it's been $150 $250 or $350, and I'll ask if they're still looking for someone, which they say they are, I'll tell them I'll take it for $500 if they need someone and I always get a snide remark or a chuckle and a "no, we're good" kind of response.
The app needs an option to name your own price
aamilesslave and seigex like this.
Old Nov 25, 2019, 6:05 pm

Thks There are only 743 points going back years

Originally Posted by newyorkgeorge
It's been included in this thread. Bottom line is that Parker and company are trying to reduce VDB compensation costs by luring paxs into nominal amounts. How success they will be? Depends on how dumb people are and do they understand the hassles and risks when you volunteer? Hopefully this idea bombs.

I went back a few pages but it loads so slow is is cluttered I could not find it. could someone mention which post # to start reading
Old Nov 25, 2019, 10:16 pm

Programs: AA EXP; Hyatt Globalist; Marriott Bonvoy Titanium Elite
Originally Posted by mvoight
The app needs an option to name your own price
Agreed, United’s app his this feature.
Old Nov 25, 2019, 10:30 pm

Programs: American Airlines Executive Platinum, Marriott Bonvoy Ambassador Elite
I'm hearing that gate agents aren't happy about this. They already feel overworked and under too much pressure for D0, they don't think announcing generic compensation and having individual conversations is practical. Apparently they've been told that this will save AA more than a million dollars around the time of Thanksgiving 2019 alone.
Old Nov 26, 2019, 5:59 am

Programs: AA Gold
Originally Posted by jjmoore
95% of the time, this happens at the gate with the gate agents. In this case, the OP was proactive and asked before the announcements needed to be made. This is the best way to get rewarded.

Yes--we stopped at the gate prior to when boarding began and they told us they needed our seats. That's when we validated the routing and meal/hotel vouchers.

When boarding was complete, they called us up and sorted out the vouchers.
The other couple that got vouchers was young and said they did not fly frequently. We let them know they got free drinks in MCE (AA upgraded them to MCE on the new routing).

Since they had 4 volunteers via the app (for 3 seats)---they did not need to make an announcement requesting volunteers at the gate.
Old Nov 26, 2019, 7:23 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by donotblink
I'm hearing that gate agents aren't happy about this. They already feel overworked and under too much pressure for D0, they don't think announcing generic compensation and having individual conversations is practical. Apparently they've been told that this will save AA more than a million dollars around the time of Thanksgiving 2019 alone.
This has the potential of becoming a GA nightmare. People that volunteer tend to talk and very quickly one is going to find out the other is getting a larger amount. What happens Pax A starts to demand compensation that Pax B is getting and the GA is going to have to explain take it or leave it. Possibly resulting in finding new volunteers. Then likely only to not need them in the end. LOL.
Old Nov 26, 2019, 8:49 am

Programs: CK or bust
Originally Posted by donotblink
This has the potential of becoming a GA nightmare. People that volunteer tend to talk and very quickly one is going to find out the other is getting a larger amount. What happens Pax A starts to demand compensation that Pax B is getting and the GA is going to have to explain take it or leave it. Possibly resulting in finding new volunteers. Then likely only to not need them in the end. LOL.
I greatly look forward to individual conversations with GAs right next to the carry-on sizer and to the left of the 'did you forget me on the PALL list?' or 'my family of six with BE tickets on this oversold flight isn't seated together' lines.

This newfound sense of timing while turning around aircraft is very exciting!
Old Nov 26, 2019, 9:28 am

Programs: UA 1K 1MM ★G | Marriott LTT | Hilton ♦ | Hertz PC | Global Entry TSA Pre ✓
Originally Posted by AA_ORDlady
Yes--we stopped at the gate prior to when boarding began and they told us they needed our seats. That's when we validated the routing and meal/hotel vouchers.

When boarding was complete, they called us up and sorted out the vouchers.
The other couple that got vouchers was young and said they did not fly frequently. We let them know they got free drinks in MCE (AA upgraded them to MCE on the new routing).

Since they had 4 volunteers via the app (for 3 seats)---they did not need to make an announcement requesting volunteers at the gate.
You handled it perfectly.

The GA's (regardless of whether they have an ordered list of volunteers in their computer system) will engage and work with you if you are proactive, and will take you over others that may have been on the list before you.

Glad it worked out for ya. ^ ^
Old Nov 26, 2019, 9:37 am
Suspended

Originally Posted by enpremiere
I greatly look forward to individual conversations with GAs right next to the carry-on sizer and to the left of the 'did you forget me on the PALL list?' or 'my family of six with BE tickets on this oversold flight isn't seated together' lines.

This newfound sense of timing while turning around aircraft is very exciting!
That and the GAs will no longer have the time to come get you onboard if there's a no show in F and you were up next on the upgrade list.
enpremiere likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.