Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > American Airlines | AAdvantage
Reload this Page >

AA Bump Rates; compensation for VDB / Voluntary Denied Boarding (master thread)

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Mar 31, 2016, 5:15 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Prospero
AA Bump Rates: Volunteer Compensation / Voluntary Denied Boarding

Passengers involuntarily denied boarding on AA are denied usually after calls for volunteers to accept vouchers (and occasionally variable other benefits), usually beginning at $200 or $300 but possibly going significantly higher, depending on passenger response. See more below, including AA Conditions of Carriage.

See IDB / Involuntarily Denied Boarding on AA & Compensation (master thread) for INVOLUNTARILY denied boarding.

Link to US Dept. of Transportation Aviation Consumer Protection Division's "Fly-Rights - A Consumer Guide to Air Travel" section on Overbooking

"IDB" (involuntarily denied boarding) compensation is governed in the USA by "14 CFR 250.5 - Amount of denied boarding compensation for passengers denied boarding involuntarily".

Link to CFR §250.5; as well:

14 CFR § 250.2b Carriers to request volunteers for denied boarding.
(a) In the event of an oversold flight, every carrier shall request volunteers for denied boarding before using any other boarding priority. A “volunteer” is a person who responds to the carrier's request for volunteers and who willingly accepts the carriers' offer of compensation, in any amount, in exchange for relinquishing the confirmed reserved space. Any other passenger denied boarding is considered for purposes of this part to have been denied boarding involuntarily, even if that passenger accepts the denied boarding compensation.

(b) Every carrier shall advise each passenger solicited to volunteer for denied boarding, no later than the time the carrier solicits that passenger to volunteer, whether he or she is in danger of being involuntarily denied boarding and, if so, the compensation the carrier is obligated to pay if the passenger is involuntarily denied boarding. If an insufficient number of volunteers come forward, the carrier may deny boarding to other passengers in accordance with its boarding priority rules.

14 CFR § 250.9 Written explanation of denied boarding compensation and boarding priorities, and verbal notification of denied boarding compensation.
(a) Every carrier shall furnish passengers who are denied boarding involuntarily from flights on which they hold confirmed reserved space immediately after the denied boarding occurs, a written statement explaining the terms, conditions, and limitations of denied boarding compensation, and describing the carriers' boarding priority rules and criteria. The carrier shall also furnish the statement to any person upon request at all airport ticket selling positions which are in the charge of a person employed exclusively by the carrier, or by it jointly with another person or persons, and at all boarding locations being used by the carrier.

Link to AA Conditions of Carriage, "Oversales"

In the European Union, EC261/2004 governs denied boarding compensation.

Link to EC261 / EC 261/2004 complaints and AA (master thread)

On American Airlines, you are sometimes ineligible for IDB as allowed by the USDOT:
If a flight is oversold (more passengers hold confirmed reservations than there are seats available), no one may be denied boarding against his or her will until airline personnel first ask for volunteers who will give up their reservation willingly, in exchange for compensation of the airline’s choosing. If there are not enough volunteers, other passengers may be denied boarding involuntarily in accordance with the following boarding priority of American. In such events, American will usually deny boarding based upon check-in time, but we may also consider factors such as severe hardships, fare paid, and status within the AAdvantage® program.

If you are denied boarding involuntarily, you are entitled to a payment of
‘‘denied boarding compensation’’ from the airline unless:

- You have not fully complied with the airline’s ticketing, check-in and reconfirmation requirements, or you are not acceptable for transportation under the airline’s usual rules and practices; or

- You are denied boarding because the flight is canceled; or

You are denied boarding because a smaller capacity aircraft was substituted for safety or operational reasons; or

- On a flight operated with an aircraft having 60 or fewer seats, you are denied boarding due to safety-related weight/balance restrictions that limit payload; or

- You are offered accommodations in a section of the aircraft other than specified in your ticket, at no extra charge (a passenger seated in a section for which a lower fare is charged must be given an appropriate refund); or

- The airline is able to place you on another flight or flights that are planned to reach your next stopover or final destination within one hour of the planned arrival time of your original flight.[/code]

The previous thread is http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/ameri...solidated.html
Print Wikipost

AA Bump Rates; compensation for VDB / Voluntary Denied Boarding (master thread)

Search this Thread

Old Sep 11, 2019, 6:59 am

Originally Posted by HGH
September 9th, Bozeman to Chicago needed two volunteers. The app options were between $250 to $450. At the gate, they were announcing an offer of a $750 voucher, hotel, flight out the next day, and a food voucher. It took awhile to get the two volunteers, but they managed it.
What happened first? The app notification for volunteers, or the gate announcement?

I wonder if it's more advantageous to wait at the airport when volunteers are needed, or make a bid to be a volunteer for a lesser amount.
dallaspopo likes this.
Old Sep 11, 2019, 7:05 am

Got a call from customer service last night at 11PM for a flight at 8AM this morning.

CS - will you downgrade to economy for a $300 voucher?
Me - i’ll do it for $500
CS - what about $300 and we’ll keep you in first class on the next flight at 10AM

So here I am, waiting for the 10AM flight to board.

It was odd, as I was upgraded at 72 hours, which I put down to flying out of NYC on 9/11 and business travelers electing not to travel. But then it looks like it oversold at the last minute.
enpremiere likes this.
Old Sep 11, 2019, 8:17 am

Programs: UA 1K 1MM ★G | Marriott LTT | Hilton ♦ | Hertz PC | Global Entry TSA Pre ✓
Originally Posted by thedeeg
Got a call from customer service last night at 11PM for a flight at 8AM this morning.

CS - will you downgrade to economy for a $300 voucher?
Me - i’ll do it for $500
CS - what about $300 and we’ll keep you in first class on the next flight at 10AM

So here I am, waiting for the 10AM flight to board.

It was odd, as I was upgraded at 72 hours, which I put down to flying out of NYC on 9/11 and business travelers electing not to travel. But then it looks like it oversold at the last minute.
The only time I have ever had this happen was because of an aircraft downgauge. That is my suspicion here.
Old Sep 11, 2019, 8:44 am
Suspended

Programs: AAdvantage PP
Originally Posted by tbone14
What happened first? The app notification for volunteers, or the gate announcement?

I wonder if it's more advantageous to wait at the airport when volunteers are needed, or make a bid to be a volunteer for a lesser amount.
From what I've gathered GAs do always use that list/see that list, etc. and start off anew. Interestingly about a month ago I got an email offered me an immediate $300 voucher if I agreed to take a later flight to LAX. Since I was keen on sleeping in (Saturday) I opted for it even though I went from a 77W to connecting in BNA on a 321. Somehow the system re-accommodated me in F on the 321 (no upgrade instrument).
Old Sep 11, 2019, 10:23 am
HGH

The app notification was at the top of the screen when I checked in the day before. I have no idea how many seats they needed at that time.
Old Sep 15, 2019, 6:13 pm

Two more VDBs

Two more opportunities that I could not partake in today.

Flight 2094 BNA-CLT. Everyone was boarded. Gate agent comes on the plane asking for 1 volunteer for $850. I was in row 3. I clicked the call light and heard the beep, but he headed toward the back of the plane and took someone from row 6. *shrug*

Flight 316 CLT-PHX. Got to gate, and overheard some passengers talk about the oversell situation. Approached gate agent, and she already had 6 volunteers with a price of $550. Had a short connection time from first flight, and wouldn’t have known about this otherwise. Did get a battlefield upgrade, so can’t complain.

After seeing the app notifications recently, I did not see any for these 2 flights. Guess that goes to show that the app is not fully 100% functional. Or at least very random depending on computer algorithms for when volunteers are needed. Doubt this would happen, but a push notification would be great (for my preferences, at least).
Old Sep 16, 2019, 11:13 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime PLT, AS MVPG, HH Diamond, NCL Platinum Plus, MSC Diamond
Two more opportunities that I could not partake in today.

Flight 2094 BNA-CLT. Everyone was boarded. Gate agent comes on the plane asking for 1 volunteer for $850. I was in row 3. I clicked the call light and heard the beep, but he headed toward the back of the plane and took someone from row 6. *shrug*
<snipped>
<).
Maybe you should have jumped up and waved as soon as he announced it.
canadiancow likes this.
Old Sep 17, 2019, 4:19 am

Programs: CK or bust
Originally Posted by mvoight
Maybe you should have jumped up and waved as soon as he announced it.
The FAs might interpret that as keen interest in the special offer for that flight and come running to ensure that you stay onboard until you finish completing the application.
Old Sep 25, 2019, 7:03 pm

Summer Experiences

These were a while ago, but definitely seems like AA oversold very aggressively this summer.

LAS-DFW 7/29 1am redeye - Call from AA around 4pm offering instant $400 and flight the next day. In interest of not going to airport at 1am and since I already had a place to stay, I took it. Looking back, I definitely could have negotiated more given it required an overnight.

DFW-PHL 8/2 - LAA 757 needed 6 volunteers. $550 and routing through MCI, which I accepted. Went to admirals club to ask for aisle seat on MCI-PHL, and they handed me a boarding pass for a DFW-PHL that got me in 2 hours after I was originally scheduled.
Global321, jjmoore, rumboj and 1 others like this.
Old Sep 26, 2019, 5:28 am

Programs: UA 1K 1MM ★G | Marriott LTT | Hilton ♦ | Hertz PC | Global Entry TSA Pre ✓
Originally Posted by Efield7
These were a while ago, but definitely seems like AA oversold very aggressively this summer.

LAS-DFW 7/29 1am redeye - Call from AA around 4pm offering instant $400 and flight the next day. In interest of not going to airport at 1am and since I already had a place to stay, I took it. Looking back, I definitely could have negotiated more given it required an overnight.

DFW-PHL 8/2 - LAA 757 needed 6 volunteers. $550 and routing through MCI, which I accepted. Went to admirals club to ask for aisle seat on MCI-PHL, and they handed me a boarding pass for a DFW-PHL that got me in 2 hours after I was originally scheduled.
It's usually pretty tough to negotiate a higher price when they call directly - they have a set price, and will go down the list of pax phone numbers until they get what they need. I have, however, had much better luck negotiating better routing than the ones offered initially on the phone (even being switched to other airlines).

I would say these proactive offers are pretty well in line with what I have seen on other airlines too.
enpremiere likes this.
Old Oct 11, 2019, 9:44 am

Programs: AA Exec Plat
10/11 MEM-ORD. Early flight was asking for volunteers at 24 hours. Ended up with $650. Immediately got on the volunteer list for the next one, ended up with another $500. They're asking for the next one, too, but I gotta get back to the family.

Not bad for a half day of sitting in an airport.
jjmoore, rumboj, dciolli and 1 others like this.
Old Nov 3, 2019, 9:25 pm

Programs: UA, AA Plat Pro, DL, Marriott Platinum
AA3211 CLE-->ORD oversold by two. Two volunteers accepted $300 (I couldn't volunteer this time, sadly)... not sure if they were needed in the end, but the next flight was little less than two hours after that one, so if they were, they wouldn't have been much later depending on their connection, I hope.
GrumpyYoungMan likes this.
Old Nov 5, 2019, 8:19 am

Programs: HHonors Diamond, Delta Plat, National Executive
Daughter got $800 voucher yesterday, day after Formula One race in Austin, AUS - CLT, was rerouted AUS-DFW-CLT, in about 8 hours later.
CMK10, jjmoore and GrumpyYoungMan like this.
Old Nov 23, 2019, 3:54 am

Tonight's AA 3878 JFK-RDU looking for volunteers in the App, starting at $100(lols).
Old Nov 23, 2019, 2:30 pm

Programs: AA Gold
11/16 GCM-CLT. Day of flight the app was offering $200, $300, $450 and $550 (noticed it around 6 hours prior to departure). DH and I each bid $550.
Gate agent said they only needed 3 seats but gave us and one other couple $550 each (they also bid via app).
No announcement was ever made at the gate.
Confirmed our choice of routes home and that they would pay for hotel and meal vouchers (and keep MCE seating) prior to agreeing. They seemed quite flexible regarding routing and flight choices.

Flew us to DFW later that night, $20/ea meal voucher, plus $12/ea breakfast voucher and hotel in Dallas. Flew home to ORD the next morning (about 12 hours later than original flights).
Global321 likes this.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.