Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Just how much do FAs know about elite status?

Search this Thread

Old Jun 6, 2009, 5:56 pm

Originally Posted by hiltonlondon2009
And that's how it should be.
Sorry, but I disagree. Yes, of course you get a different, better experience flying in biz than in coach. Clearly.

But I also believe (and I think a lot of FTers would agree with me) that status should count for something, as it's a proxy measure for loyalty and/or money spent.

I don't expect that my status would get me a hot towel when I'm flying in Y, but why shouldn't it get me a thank you? I love it when I call the AA desk or the Mileage Plus desk and they say "thanks Ms.KS for your business."

Oh, fwiw, I've never been EXP although there have been years I've been Plat, years I've been Gold, and years I have been nothing at all.
Old Jun 6, 2009, 6:23 pm

Programs: AA Platinum, Hilton Gold, Starwood PLT
Originally Posted by Non-NonRev
IIRC the FAs receive a printout listing passengers by name, elite level and Admiralds Club membership.

I assume (and I could be wrong) that the printout is only for the premium cabin(s), not for Y.
I asked the FA about this on a recent MIA-YYZ trip and she told me she would find out. She came back not a moment later telling me that I had GLD status, that it was printed on the passenger manifest next to my name.

However, when I told her that due to DBEQM I'd be PLT when they calculated the miles, she told me she had never heard of DBEQM and didn't know there was a difference between miles and qualifying miles.
Old Jun 6, 2009, 6:43 pm

Programs: AA EXP/5 MM, BA Blue Bayou, HH LT Diamond
Originally Posted by Panamajon513
However, when I told her that due to DBEQM I'd be PLT when they calculated the miles, she told me she had never heard of DBEQM and didn't know there was a difference between miles and qualifying miles.
You have no rationale or even remotely reasonable basis for expecting the FA would be able to anticipate the effect of the posting of your flight on your status- and even much less considering the double qualifying mile promo. Please be real.
Old Jun 6, 2009, 7:10 pm

Programs: AA EP 3MM, UA Silver, Bonvoy LT TIT, Hyatt Explorist, HH Silver, Caesars PLT
Originally Posted by pauleeepaul
You have no rationale or even remotely reasonable basis for expecting the FA would be able to anticipate the effect of the posting of your flight on your status- and even much less considering the double qualifying mile promo. Please be real.
+1. Absolutely insane!
Old Jun 6, 2009, 8:35 pm
Original Poster

Programs: Too Many to Count
Originally Posted by KSinNYC
Sorry, but I disagree. Yes, of course you get a different, better experience flying in biz than in coach. Clearly.

But I also believe (and I think a lot of FTers would agree with me) that status should count for something, as it's a proxy measure for loyalty and/or money spent.

I don't expect that my status would get me a hot towel when I'm flying in Y, but why shouldn't it get me a thank you? I love it when I call the AA desk or the Mileage Plus desk and they say "thanks Ms.KS for your business."

Oh, fwiw, I've never been EXP although there have been years I've been Plat, years I've been Gold, and years I have been nothing at all.

I see what you're saying and am absolutely not discounting it. I guess my message was more directed at the concept of offering great customer service. Each tier may be offered different amenities, but what everyone who flys AA should be offered is exceptional customer service. That's the mark of a great, enduring company and of a good employee.
Old Jun 6, 2009, 8:35 pm

Programs: AA Gold, UA Silver, Marriott Plat
AAFA, you rock! How you dealt with pax who were obviously valuable customers but stuck in back seats due to deadheading crew was fantastic - and a lot more meaningful than the robotic, mandated walk through the cabin with the list to say thanks. It's so refreshing to realize there are still people at AA and other carriers who think, care and know how to be resourceful. AA is very lucky to have you and so are we as passengers!
Old Jun 6, 2009, 9:18 pm

Programs: Priority Club PLT, Marriott Titanium, AA EXP
Originally Posted by Panamajon513
I asked the FA about this on a recent MIA-YYZ trip and she told me she would find out. She came back not a moment later telling me that I had GLD status, that it was printed on the passenger manifest next to my name.

Originally Posted by pauleeepaul
I'm pretty sure he was not assuming that the FA should have known he was going to be PLT. I take it as he was simply conversating and just bringing up the fact that through a promo he was able to move up a status. I think he was just a little suprised the FA wasn't aware of what DEQM was or that there was a difference between EQM and RDM.
Old Jun 7, 2009, 12:26 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime PLT, AS MVPG, HH Diamond, NCL Platinum Plus, MSC Diamond
Originally Posted by skylady
Once on board, we treat you all the same
This is exactly how it should be.
Old Jun 7, 2009, 12:30 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime PLT, AS MVPG, HH Diamond, NCL Platinum Plus, MSC Diamond

I made a similar comment that people should be treated the same. I was referring to people in first class being treated the same, even if they had upgraded. In Coach, I have no problems with elites being recognized.
Old Jun 7, 2009, 2:20 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: United, American, Delta, Hyatt, Hilton, Hertz, Marriott
Originally Posted by AAFA
It is a lot. I only fly about 35-45,000 miles a year. That's about 12-15 days a month for my mileage. Passengers don't have the same work rules so they could fly to LA and back in the same day, whereas I can't. (thank God) 100,000 is kind of nuts.
Agreed, the vast majority of passengers don't fly anywhere close to 100k a year. I assume you work for AA as an FA; I expected FAs to fly more than 100k a year. I suppose it depends on where you fly: back and forth between LAX and SFO wouldn't generate a lot of miles.
Old Jun 7, 2009, 2:23 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: United, American, Delta, Hyatt, Hilton, Hertz, Marriott
Hmm. Interesting observation. I still think it would be nice if my status were recognized. The FA wouldn't have to do anything differently, but I think saying something like "Hi Ms.KS, welcome aboard and thanks for being such a loyal flier" would be totally unexpected and would make me feel kind of warm and fuzzy.
I guess everyone is different; I wouldn't really like to have that sort of recognition.
Old Jun 7, 2009, 5:38 am

Programs: AA
AAFA -

I was looking at the piece of paper that was taped to the wall next to the bathroom and then realized what it was. I asked the Q about fare class for two reasons. First, it would appear now that the entire business class cabin on my flight (767 2 class) had been upgraded from coach...was a little surprised by that. Second, as much as I like the aadvantage program, I wanted to see if FAs knew about fare codes becaue I have historically upgraded and wanted to compare that experience with paying for premium class fares (thanks new job).

Exp doesn't have to be that expensive, you know?
Old Jun 7, 2009, 6:05 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA 2MM, AS MVP Gold, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by AAFA
Really, you were looking at the list? Did the flight attendant give it to you to read or were you just snooping?
Originally Posted by Pony Soup
I was looking at the piece of paper that was taped to the wall next to the bathroom and then realized what it was.
Thanks for answering the question.
Old Jun 7, 2009, 9:57 am

Programs: AA Platinum, Hilton Gold, Starwood PLT
Exactly!

Originally Posted by genotonda
I'm pretty sure he was not assuming that the FA should have known he was going to be PLT. I take it as he was simply conversating and just bringing up the fact that through a promo he was able to move up a status. I think he was just a little suprised the FA wasn't aware of what DEQM was or that there was a difference between EQM and RDM.
Old Jun 7, 2009, 8:58 pm

Programs: AS, Hyatt
Originally Posted by Pony Soup
AAFA -

I was looking at the piece of paper that was taped to the wall next to the bathroom and then realized what it was.
Same thing on my IB flight. No snooping. The FAs probably weren't following their rules precisely by leaving the list lying around, but they really worked hard consistently for the whole flight to make us feel welcome and comfortable.

I've never said that I was EXP to an FA. Sorry you have to put up with pax who do stuff like that.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.