Community
Wiki Posts
Search

[Rumors] LHR-BDL/CMH; JFK-MAN/DUB/NCE; MIA-FOR/JNB; DFW-MAD

Search this Thread

Old Nov 13, 2008, 2:57 pm

Location: Any of the Following PDX SFO IAH YUL HPN CDG SYD WLG AKL
Programs: AA GLD 1MM, DL DM, UA 1K Marriott Platinum, Hilton Diamond, IHG Spire Ambassador , Hyatt Platinum
Originally Posted by FWAAA
*A features more nonstops to more Asian cities (even though your *A list is inflated by four different destinations in New Zealand)
Last I check there was only one destination on that list IN New Zealand, but feel free tell the average Tongan, Cook Islander, or Samoan that there countries are really part of New Zealand, the reaction should be interesting.

Though the Island services are in serious jeopardy unless their governments come to the table with the significant increase in subsidy NZ has requested to continue the flights
Old Nov 13, 2008, 2:57 pm

Programs: AA EXP 1.5MM, Asiana Club Silver, KE Morning Calm, Hyatt Platinum, Amtrak Select
You included flights to Canada on *A but didn't list the dozen or so codeshare flights to Mexico on soon-to-be OW member Mexicana. Nor did you list the China Eastern codeshare to PVG or the Eva Air codeshare to TPE. Nor the AA LAX-YYZ or LAX-SAL. Nor the El Al codeshare to TLV. AA and OW aren't quite as dismal as your list indicates.
I didn't list code-shares because there's not much benefit to doing so. Alaska, China Eastern, Eva, El Al, or Mexicana (at least until next year) aren't in OW, so there's no real benefit of being an AA/OW elite other than getting 100% bonus miles and that's only if you booked it as an AA code-share flight. Also, AA code-share prices on these flights out of LAX tend to be several hundred dollars higher than booked as their own metal.

(even though your *A list is inflated by four different destinations in New Zealand)
Actually 3 of those 4 NZ flights are not to New Zealand:

APW - Apia, Samoa
TBU - Fuaʻamotu, Tonga
RAR - Rarotonga, Cook Islands

Last edited by kebosabi; Nov 13, 2008 at 3:08 pm
Old Nov 13, 2008, 3:26 pm

Programs: UA 1K, AA 2MM, Bonvoy LT Plt, Mets fan
Originally Posted by kebosabi
OTOH, this is a good sign. AA is clearly not making any money on domestic service due to LCCs, they're better off focusing their attention on international service.

But I'll continue to whine because the West Coast is left out of the loop
Well that, and the low presence of AA in Asia. I understand this is because of the fierce and stiff competition of the West Coast-to-Asia market, but it's still a hassle to connect at HKG or NRT to get to my destinations in Asia using AA or its OW partners. Seeing the load factors on AA's LAX-NRT flight shows that one flight to NRT out of LAX is clearly not enough. Hopefully, they'll bring in one 763 over here for an late LAX departure/early morning NRT arrival flight.
I'd love to see it, too, but I'm not holding my breath.

Originally Posted by millionmiler
AA is not a west coast airline. It is a DFW, ORD, MIA, JFK airline. You fly the wrong brand if you want AA to help you.

Another LAX-NRT? No chance in heck. LAX-CDG? Forget it. DFW-MAD? Eventually. More flights to South America but not from California? Certainly. More flights to Europe on a 757 but not from California? Certainly.
If IB & MAD start to carry their own weight in the AA/BA/IB alliance, then there will need to be an LAX-MAD nonstop. Without it, the CDG-LAX (SkyTeam) and FRA-LAX (*A) options for LA-area traffic, and the SLC (ST) and SFO (*A) hubs, will clean OW's clock. The only other option would be SEA flights, and I don't see that happening either.

It's more like the grass is greener on the other side due to the larger presence of *A and ST flights at LAX, which is a bit harsh to say since both alliances are larger than OW.

Just to name a few Canada, Europe, Asia, South America, and Oceania flights that I know of:

UA and *A
LAX-LHR (UA)
LAX-FRA (LH)
LAX-ZRH (LX)
LAX-LHR (NZ)

DL+NW and ST

LAX-CDG (AF)
LAX-AMS (KL)
LAX-FCO (AZ)
LAX-SVO (SU)

AA and OW
LAX-LHR (AA, BA)

I deleted the non-European routes from that list, since I really don't focus on Asia/S.Am and don't have the time to review it. I also shifted NZ's LAX-LHR flight to *A (I hadn't heard that they left *A).

Note that AZ has cancelled its LAX-FCO flight. Even so, you'll notice that IB/MAD is the only major European carrier that doesn't service its fortress from LAX. Now that AA has cut one of the 2 LAX-LHR flights from the summer schedule, I'd guess that LAX-MAD would work; it's only 400 miles longer than LHR, and only 40 miles longer than FRA (and it's shorter than ZRH by 90 miles).
Old Nov 13, 2008, 3:29 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by kiwicanuck
Last I check there was only one destination on that list IN New Zealand, but feel free tell the average Tongan, Cook Islander, or Samoan that there countries are really part of New Zealand, the reaction should be interesting.
Oops. I apologize to all the Tongans, Cook Islanders and Samoans.

kebosabi: All those codeshares have another benefit besides the plat/exp 100% elite bonus: elite qualifying miles at 100%. But your point is well taken - not much else for elites.
Old Nov 13, 2008, 3:36 pm

Programs: AA PLT, Admirals Club
Asia Routes

I agree it would be nice to see a DFW-HKG or maybe even an ORD-HKG. Anyone have any insight on possible Asian routes?
Old Nov 13, 2008, 3:40 pm

Programs: AA LT PLT, 2.15 million miles; Priority Club PLT
Originally Posted by CO FF
If IB & MAD start to carry their own weight in the AA/BA/IB alliance, then there will need to be an LAX-MAD nonstop.
I agree, this is what I'm hoping. Having lived in Spain since 2005 and returned to the West Coast many times, I've endured more 4 segment flights than I care to remember to stay with AA/BA/IB. DL just announced new service VLC/JFK, so now they've got several Spanish cities covered from the US. It won't last IMO but at least they're trying.

IB has a great airport for connecting and from MAD two or three heavy banks of daily departures to nearly all Euro capitals, North Africa, and some Middle East. Also service to something like 35+ cities in Spain and Portugal. Surely with 15 million in SoCal, 40 million in Spain, plus all the connection opps. to southern Europe, North Africa and the Middle East, AA could fill a daily 763 at decent price points. People like to complain about IB but their on-time and lost luggage stats are near the top in Europe.

IME there's a bias against IB connections and MAD in general in AA.com. If you are searching for flights, LHR connections and even BRU connections on SN nearly always come up first. I always have to 'force' the connections I want using Multi-City trip.
Old Nov 13, 2008, 4:30 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL 1 million, AA 1 mil, HH lapsed Diamond, Marriott Plat
Originally Posted by CO FF
If IB & MAD start to carry their own weight in the AA/BA/IB alliance, then there will need to be an LAX-MAD nonstop.
Has anybody made the argument that there is significant LAX-MAD O&D traffic? How extensive (and fare and volume-rich) is the list of IB-MAD destinations not served by BA from LHR?
Old Nov 13, 2008, 5:24 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Gold AAdvantage Elite, Rapids Reward
Welcome to Flyertalk.

Interesting first post.

Note: AA ordered 787-9s, not -8s.

Stick around and keep us updated.
Correct! I knows AA is already been on orders 787-9 from few couple months ago. I'm sure if AA will expected needing orders 777-200LR need more seriously weight restrictions 200 ETOPS from MIA-JNB or CPT.

I think there is possibility AA will adds potential new routes from MIA-TLV/DXB/AMM/BOM/DEL. This is really great idea where AA will considerable for which specific routes is coming soon in the future: ORD-HKG/BKK/SIN/BOM need put on operate of 777-200LR include of 787-9 doesn't have leak more range for reaching almost 9,000nm.

Also, I knows AA doesn't have more expandable European routes from MIA-FRA/FCO/MXP/VCE/AMS/ZRH/LIS/BRU. That's why AA hasn't never started for considers from MIA-AMS/HEL/OSL/GVA.

This is all for now which specific routes will be coming soon in the future.
Old Nov 13, 2008, 5:24 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Gold AAdvantage Elite, Rapids Reward
Originally Posted by ttflyer
I agree it would be nice to see a DFW-HKG or maybe even an ORD-HKG. Anyone have any insight on possible Asian routes?
And also, adds more ORD-SIN/BKK/BOM.
Old Nov 13, 2008, 5:34 pm

Programs: Alaska Airlines Gold MVP
Don't be entirely surprised to see IB at LAX next year, but it's not certain.

Iberia/AA's U.S.-Spain network will potentially look like this by summer 2010:

AA:
MIA-MAD
JFK-BCN
DFW-MAD
BOS-MAD (75L)
IAD-MAD (75L)

IB:
MIA-MAD
MIA-BCN (IB announced this already as part of their plan to re-build their BCN hub in 2009/10).
JFK-MAD
ORD-MAD
SJU-MAD
LAX-MAD

Also, as Iberia is not as pressed for widebodies as AA, I wouldn't be surprised if DFW-MAD was Iberia-operated. Once the JV is in place, they will share revenues, so it does not matter who actually operates the flight. Also,
Old Nov 13, 2008, 5:50 pm

Originally Posted by MAH4546
Don't be entirely surprised to see IB at LAX next year, but it's not certain.

Iberia/AA's U.S.-Spain network will potentially look like this by summer 2010:

AA:
MIA-MAD
JFK-BCN
DFW-MAD
BOS-MAD (75L)
IAD-MAD (75L)

IB:
MIA-MAD
MIA-BCN (IB announced this already as part of their plan to re-build their BCN hub in 2009/10).
JFK-MAD
ORD-MAD
SJU-MAD
LAX-MAD

Also, as Iberia is not as pressed for widebodies as AA, I wouldn't be surprised if DFW-MAD was Iberia-operated. Once the JV is in place, they will share revenues, so it does not matter who actually operates the flight. Also,

It does to us flyers who want to upgrade etc, unless they allow it across the 2 airlines, but point is well taken.

IB at LAX would be most welcome, but I still think I would take mileage earning on BA first
Old Nov 13, 2008, 5:53 pm
Suspended

Once the JV is in place, they will share revenues, so it does not matter who actually operates the flight. Also,
I think AA's pilots might dispute that
Old Nov 13, 2008, 7:46 pm

Originally Posted by elitetraveler
I think AA's pilots might dispute that
They already have.

Fortunately, their say has virtually zero influence in affecting DOT decisions.
Old Nov 13, 2008, 8:09 pm
Suspended

They already have.

Fortunately, their say has virtually zero influence in affecting DOT decisions.
It's the "virtually" that should be worrying. My recollection is the DOT is a fairly political entity, if not very political, which means the Dem/Dem operation in DC will likely at least give the pilots and any other AA unions that oppose this an open ear. My take is virtually every international route award is a literal political sandwich of some salami for the Senator in Texas who pushed for AA and some swiss cheese for the Senator from Pennsylvania who supported US. Obviously AA will show models demonstrating that since NW, DL and UA received antitrust immunity in their alliances international flying has increased faster than AA so this is a growth opportunity. The pilots will say their jobs are going to be outsourced to foreign carriers I suppose. My understanding is they oppose the deal only as a negotiating tactic, is that correct?
Old Nov 13, 2008, 8:58 pm

Originally Posted by elitetraveler
My understanding is they oppose the deal only as a negotiating tactic, is that correct?
That is my understanding as well.

The pilots also very well realize that the joint venture will open up new opportunities for them, they just won't admit it.

Whether or not what the OP posted about routes like BDL-LHR and BWI-LHR is true, that right there is new opportunity for AA pilots, and it is inevitable that we will see AA connecting more U.S. cities with Heathrow thanks to the BA joint venture, whatever those cities may be.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.