Community
Wiki Posts
Search

[Rumors] LHR-BDL/CMH; JFK-MAN/DUB/NCE; MIA-FOR/JNB; DFW-MAD

Search this Thread

Old Nov 12, 2008, 4:42 pm
Moderator: Coupon Connection & S.P.A.M

Programs: Destination Unknown, TSA Disparager Diamond (LTDD)
Welcome to FlyerTalk!

Sorry to hear 757s will be used across the pond, but everything else sounds mostly positive.
Old Nov 12, 2008, 4:43 pm

Programs: AA LT PLT, 2.15 million miles; Priority Club PLT
Originally Posted by kebosabi
And once again, AA leaves us West Coast people out of the loop.
Yep, they definitely want us to keep connecting. Maybe with the ORD-MAN switching to 75L, the freed-up 763 could become SFO-LHR or LAX-MAD? One can dream.
Old Nov 12, 2008, 4:46 pm

Programs: Alaska Airlines Gold MVP
Originally Posted by malcolmkettering
Yep, they definitely want us to keep connecting. Maybe with the ORD-MAN switching to 75L, the freed-up 763 could become SFO-LHR or LAX-MAD? One can dream.
The freed up 763 is becoming CCS-MIA-PAP-MIA-PAP-MIA-CCS.

AA is taking free'd 763s and putting them on MIA-CCS/PAP/PUJ/MGA/GUA/SDQ/GYE/LIM, all once daily except for PAP which is 2x daily.

They'll be great for op-ups for the next three years.

There are no plans to convert the 763s to a high-density configuration until 787 deliveries start.
Old Nov 12, 2008, 4:56 pm

Programs: AA EXP 1.5MM, Asiana Club Silver, KE Morning Calm, Hyatt Platinum, Amtrak Select
Originally Posted by malcolmkettering
Well that, and the low presence of AA in Asia. I understand this is because of the fierce and stiff competition of the West Coast-to-Asia market, but it's still a hassle to connect at HKG or NRT to get to my destinations in Asia using AA or its OW partners. Seeing the load factors on AA's LAX-NRT flight shows that one flight to NRT out of LAX is clearly not enough. Hopefully, they'll bring in one 763 over here for an late LAX departure/early morning NRT arrival flight.
Old Nov 12, 2008, 5:06 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL 1 million, AA 1 mil, HH lapsed Diamond, Marriott Plat
Hopefully, they'll bring in one 763 over here for an late LAX departure/early morning NRT arrival flight.
There must be a reason that NOBODY operates LAX-NRT today with anything smaller than a 772.

DTW-LHR, even on a 752, works for me. DTW-MAD would be even more to my liking.
Old Nov 12, 2008, 5:08 pm

Programs: AA EXP
Originally Posted by personnext
Africa:

An Africa launch is rumored to finally be past just the "idea" stage. The details are still being worked out, but Johannesburg will be the launch destination. The goal is apparently a December 2009 launch.
Dont know about the rest but nice to see Africa is sights. Probably done to time with World Cup in 2010.

Surprised to see US-BOM is not on the list!

Welcome to FT! and keep the "rumors" coming.
Old Nov 12, 2008, 5:22 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Nice post; indeed it does look like a page straight from Jim Whitehurst's playbook at Delta, just several years later.

Lagos is the preferred point, but dealing with Nigerian aviation authorities is a pain, and gaining fifth freedom on Lagos-Johannesburg (which could be important for cargo revenue) is far from guaranteed. The U.S. and Nigeria might have "Open Skies," but Nigeria doesn't really listen.

Another idea being tossed around is operating via Recife, Brazil; and merging Salvador with the new Fortaleza route (assuming AA gets Fortaleza traffic rights). If you look at a map, Recife is actually directly along the path of MIA-JNB and would be quicker than via West Africa. U.S.-Brazil air treaty allows for Brazil-South Africa fifth freedom.
MIA-REC-JNB is 1.1% longer than non-stop. MIA-LOS-JNB is 4.6% longer than non-stop.
Old Nov 12, 2008, 5:25 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Seeing the load factors on AA's LAX-NRT flight shows that one flight to NRT out of LAX is clearly not enough.
Airlines can be like public transit: just because the subway is filled to the gills it doesn't mean it's making money.

From your observation we know nothing about AA's profitability on the route, only its capability to sell fares low enough to ensure that no seat remains unsold.
Old Nov 12, 2008, 5:38 pm

LAX-JFK-DUB would be a HELL of a lot more preferable than LAX-ORD-DUB.

- T
Old Nov 12, 2008, 5:46 pm
Suspended

Welcome to FT ^ Nice info ^
Old Nov 12, 2008, 6:06 pm

Programs: AA EXP, DL Plat, US Chairman, SPG Plat, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Gold, IC RA
Dallas-Madrid:

This looks like a good possibility summer 2009, 763 service. Only new widebody Europe route seriously planned for summer 2009. Madrid will arguably become the most important oneWorld connecting hub in Europe when the joint venture is in full swing, even more so than Heathrow.
Lord. Even as much as I'm not keen on Heathrow for connections, I really hope this isn't the case.
Old Nov 12, 2008, 6:09 pm

And once again, AA leaves us West Coast people out of the loop. Where's the coveted LAX-CDG flight or a second late-night LAX-NRT flight that arrives in NRT in the morning that I've always wanted?
AA is not a west coast airline. It is a DFW, ORD, MIA, JFK airline. You fly the wrong brand if you want AA to help you.

Another LAX-NRT? No chance in heck. LAX-CDG? Forget it. DFW-MAD? Eventually. More flights to South America but not from California? Certainly. More flights to Europe on a 757 but not from California? Certainly.
Old Nov 12, 2008, 6:12 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL 1 million, AA 1 mil, HH lapsed Diamond, Marriott Plat
Originally Posted by TonySCV
LAX-JFK-DUB would be a HELL of a lot more preferable than LAX-ORD-DUB.

- T
Why is that? LAX-JFK-DUB is certainly less distance-efficient.
Old Nov 12, 2008, 6:15 pm

Originally Posted by 3Cforme
Why is that? LAX-JFK-DUB is certainly less distance-efficient.

I didn't get that either. I suppose its because JFK-DUB is shorter and you have the chance to spend more time on a larger plane (LAX-JFK). Myself, I would never connect through JFK or MIA unless forced to. ORD is way better for connections.
Old Nov 12, 2008, 6:18 pm

Programs: AA EXP
Rumors

I realize this is mostly rumors at the moment, but if these new JFK/BOS-DUB flights start up, in addition to the existing ORD-DUB service, would AA open a lounge in DUB? Every time I fly out of DUB it amazes me how there is no OW lounge since Irish Lingus left it. I guess I'm asking what is the critical mass AA needs to open up their own lounge abroad?

Thanks,
Styles2375

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.