Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Advance seat assignments on codeshare flights

Search this Thread

Old Aug 25, 2008, 2:32 pm
Original Poster

Advance seat assignments on codeshare flights

How do you get an advanced seat assignment on a codeshare flight operated by another carrier when booked thru AA?

I booked an 8 segment flight (AA, Am Eagle, Cathay Pacific, and JAL) thru AA months ago. I got seat assignments for AA and Am Eagle thru AA, and thru Cathay Pacific for their flights, and thru JAL for their flights.

Yesterday AA called, and, due to a schedule change on Cathay Pacific, they rerouted me on a JAL codeshare flight and an AA flight. She gave me seat assignments at that time for both flights, but when I looked on the itinerary on the AA website today, it had the seat on the JAL flight as unassigned.

So I called AA, and they said they couldn't assign seats for codeshare flights.
She suggested I had to wait until check-in. I didn't like that answer, so I called JAL, and they said due to a recent change, they couldn't assign seats booked thru AA, and that I should call AA.
So I called AA again, explained the situation, and they attempted to assign me a seat. They were surprised that they could see the seating chart, and that it allowed them to attempt to assign the seat. But while it went thru the motions, it never really assigned the seat.

So, any suggestions on how to get an advance seat assignment on an AA codeshare flight operated by JAL? I really really don't want to sit in the center seat of the center section on a long-haul flight.

Thanks...
Old Aug 25, 2008, 3:08 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL 1 million, AA 1 mil, HH lapsed Diamond, Marriott Plat
Originally Posted by dvc_john
booked thru AA, and that I should call AA.
So I called AA again, explained the situation, and they attempted to assign me a seat. They were surprised that they could see the seating chart, and that it allowed them to attempt to assign the seat. But while it went thru the motions, it never really assigned the seat.
How do you know this? Because the seat doesn't show as assigned on your aa.com record?
Old Aug 25, 2008, 3:43 pm
Original Poster

Yes, the seat for that flight only shows 'unassigned' on the AA website. And, when I talked to AA, they said that I had no seat assignment for that flight.
And when I talked to JAL, they said I had no seat assignment for that flight.
Old Aug 25, 2008, 3:58 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL 1 million, AA 1 mil, HH lapsed Diamond, Marriott Plat
Not all partners allow advance seat assignments in all classes of service, although I have gotten coach class seats on JL with an AA codeshare flight as a Plat with a single call to AA.
Old Aug 25, 2008, 4:23 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
If we get enough posts in this thread one of us can perhaps do a Wiki page.

American Airlines / AA: manage booking online

British Airways / BA: depending on fare etc. one can select seats online.

Cathay Pacific / CX: Use PNR and manage booking
Affiliate Dragonair / KA: Use PNR and manage booking

Finnair / AY:

IBERIA / IB: (I've usually called and had no major problems)

Japan Airlines and affiliates (JL et al):

LAN Group / LA et al:

Malaysia / MH:

S7 / S7:

QANTAS / QF: "get your PNR and manage my booking" can work, autoassigns often

Royal Jordanian / RJ:

COMING to oneworld:

Qatar / QR:

Sri Lankan / UL

Partners:

Air Pacific / Fiji Airways / FJ:

Air Tahiti Nui / TN:

Alaska Airlines / Horizon AS / QX:

China Eastern / MU:

El Al / LY:

EVA / BR:

GOL / G3:

Gulf Air / GF:

Hawaiian / HA:

Jet Airways / 9W:

Deutsche Bahn:

SNCF:

Which partner is it? From aa.com:

Want to find out which carrier is operating your flight? Check the list below. Match your flight number with the range shown to find out which carrier operates your flight. Link.

Flight Number Range - Partner Airline

2700 - 4999 American Eagle (MQ, OW)
5000 - 5099 AmericanConnection (RP)
5250 - 5309 Cape Air
5600 - 5814 Iberia- oneworld carrier
5815 - 5914 Japan Airlines / JAL Express - oneworld carrier
5915 - 5939 JALways - oneworld carrier
5970 - 6017 Etihad Airways
6018 - 6070 SNCF French Rail
6071 - 6124 Cathay Pacific Airways - oneworld carrier
6350 - 6749 British Airways - oneworld carrier
6750 - 7128 Alaska Airlines
7159 - 7190 Finnair - oneworld carrier
7191 - 7218 Royal Jordanian Airlines - oneworld carrier
7219 - 7238 China Eastern
7239 - 7269 LAN Peru - oneworld affiliate
7270 - 7289 Malév Hungarian Airlines - (suspended operations)
7290 - 7423 Qantas - oneworld carrier and JetConnect for Qantas - oneworld affiliate
7424 - 7453 Deutsche Bahn German Rail
7454 - 7637 Horizon for Alaska
7650 - 7744 LAN Airlines/Lan Express/Lan Argentina - oneworld carrier
7833 - 7862 Jet Airways
7863 - 7949 Hawaiian Airlines
7950 - 7969 EVA Air
8100 - 8349 Mexicana/MexicanaClick - (suspended operations)

Unassigned Flight Ranges: 5940 - 5987, 6320 - 6349, 7638 - 7649

Last edited by JDiver; Feb 14, 2013 at 10:51 am Reason: add / update
Old Aug 25, 2008, 5:06 pm

Brilliant. ^
Old Jan 4, 2010, 2:04 pm

Programs: AA EXP
Originally Posted by JDiver
If we get enough posts in this thread we can "tack" it to the Unofficial Users' Guide:

American Airlines / AA is easy - check the booking online

British Airways / BA is now easy - depending on fare etc. one can select seats online.

Cathay Pacific / CX? (I've usually called)
Affiliate Dragonair / KA?

IBERIA / IB? (I've usually called and had no major problems, slight AAttitude on occasion.)

Japan Airlines and affiliates (JL et al):

LAN Group / LA et al:

Malev / MA:

QANTAS / QF and affiliates:

Royal Jordanian / RJ:

Partners:

Aer Lingus / EI (until Nov 2008)

Air Pacific / FJ:

Air Tahiti Nui / TN:

Alaska Airlines / Horizon AS / QX:

Brussels Airlines / SN:

China Eastern / MU:

El Al / LY:

EVA / BR:

Gulf Air / GF:

Hawaiian / HA:

Jet Airways / 9W:

Mexicana / MX:
This thread seems long dead, but it might be helpful to have it updated if anyone has information. As a newbie I was trying to be dutiful in searching for the information I need (changing seats on a CX flight), but this was all I found.

Anyone want to throw any information they have on seat changes in?
Old Jan 4, 2010, 3:58 pm

Programs: AA EXP 3MM; LH FT (*A Silver); Marriott Rewards Platinum Elite; Starwood Corporate Preferred
Cathay Pacific / CX - Online using the CX Record Locator (which you can get by asking AA for it on the phone)
Affiliate Dragonair / - Online using the CX Record Locator (which you can get by asking AA for it on the phone)
Old Jan 4, 2010, 6:24 pm

Programs: AA Plat 2MM, DL Gold, SPG Plat, HH Diamond
AA Codeshare on Qantas

Booked a coach ticket on Qantas (JFK-LAX-AKL-SYD-LAX-JFK) last week, AA codeshare all segments, booked online via AA website, I'm Plat. System automatically assigned me seats on all segments (got my preference window seats as listed in my profile), could only change/select the JFK-LAX and LAX-JFK myself online (to exit row).
Old Jun 1, 2010, 2:23 am

Programs: AA ExPlat / LT Plat / 3MM, Delta Plat, Bonvoy LT Titanium, HH Diamond
So how to get seat assignments on HA on an AA reservation? Call HA and will they give assigned seats? Does status such as Executive Platinum make any difference?
Old Jun 15, 2010, 5:42 pm
Moderator: New York City and FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA PLT, Natl EC
Originally Posted by EXPLAT
So how to get seat assignments on HA on an AA reservation? Call HA and will they give assigned seats? Does status such as Executive Platinum make any difference?
How did this work out? I'm in a similar position with AA codeshares operated by HA. The default assignments were 11A,11B on the HA Boeing 717.
Old Oct 16, 2010, 7:27 pm

Programs: AA EXP (2MM), DL MM, Hyatt Glob (LT), Hilton Diamond, Bonvoy Gold (LT)
Originally Posted by JDiver
If we get enough posts in this thread one of us can perhaps do a Wiki page.

QANTAS / QF: "get your PNR and manage my booking" can work, autoassigns often
Any experience on how this works out? MsDebit (also EXP) and I have a code-share LAX-SYD-LAX business saver tkt on hold on aa.com, which is about $500 less than booking the QF flights directly on qantas.com. Have always booked the QF flight numbers before through qantas.com with follow-up phone call and gotten desired seats (and, until this booking, it has been cheaper as well).

TIA
Old Oct 16, 2010, 7:58 pm

Programs: AA ex-Plat
just did LA last week, and all i had to do was call to change my seats. was me and non-status SO booked on same PNR. booked as LA carrier, LA operator, LA flight number.

doing AS next week, same situation, except just me on the PNR. booked as AA carrier, AS operator, AA flight number.

one quick look at seatguru and expertflyer, selected the seat i wanted, then called the PLAT desk to assign. i just told them which seats i wanted, didn't even ask if they could do it. in both instances, the 2nd row of coach was the new seat, so i assume those were "premium passengers only" seats.

online reservtion was updated in 24 hours of the call reflecting the new seat assignment.
Old Oct 17, 2010, 4:35 am

Programs: AA EXP (2MM), DL MM, Hyatt Glob (LT), Hilton Diamond, Bonvoy Gold (LT)
Originally Posted by mrdebit
Any experience on how this works out?
Thanks, btwayland. And to add my experience on QF, I logged in this morning to find seats auto-assigned (while the reservation was on hold). Wanted to change outbound seats; called EXP desk and agent was able to do so before ticketing.
Old Oct 17, 2010, 5:23 am

AA ticketed code share on JL flight: obtained JL PNR from AA, selected and able to change seats @ ar.jal.com/en/. Unable to get exit/bulkhead either o/l or by phone with JL.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.