Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Advance seat assignments on codeshare flights

Search this Thread

Old Aug 28, 2012, 9:38 pm

Programs: AA Platinum - 1MM+
Any suggestions on how to reserve a seat on a LAN flight with an AA flight number? Ticket was booked through AA.
LIM-LAX would be nice(r) with a good seat
Old Feb 14, 2013, 6:49 am

I have booked LHR-MAD-MIA-ATL with AA flight numbers but operated by IB, AA and BA.

Will I be able to reserve seats on the IB and BA legs? I will be BA Silver in a couple of weeks.

Thanks!
Old Feb 10, 2015, 11:51 am

Just an update a year later to keep this thread up to date a bit:

I am an AA plat and have a flight booked on an AA flight number operated by JAL, AA fare code M. The AA agent said I had to talk to JAL for a seat assignment. The JAL agent said I can only get a seat assignment within 72 hours of the flight. The JAL website link a few posts above would not let me assign a seat in advance.

So the situation with respect to AA codeshares on JAL remains quite bad, in my experience.
Old Feb 10, 2015, 12:19 pm
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
Originally Posted by saunders111
Just an update a year later to keep this thread up to date a bit:

I am an AA plat and have a flight booked on an AA flight number operated by JAL, AA fare code M. The AA agent said I had to talk to JAL for a seat assignment. The JAL agent said I can only get a seat assignment within 72 hours of the flight. The JAL website link a few posts above would not let me assign a seat in advance.

So the situation with respect to AA codeshares on JAL remains quite bad, in my experience.
It's much the same with some other airlines as well. BA for instance, allows you to seamlessly change or select seats on a BA codeshare operated by AA via Manage My Booking, but if you try the link to Iberia, it requires a code (maybe an Iberia Plus number?) to access, so it doesn't work. Etc.

It can be easier in some circumstances if you have the other airline's PNR, and some have reported success using Finnair's or Royal Jordanian websites. But they may not allow you to supersede another airline's booking policies, if JL only allows oneworld Sapphires to select seats 72 hours or less in advance, or restricts seat selection by fare class.

Last edited by JDiver; Feb 10, 2015 at 12:24 pm
Old Feb 26, 2015, 5:45 pm
RJ1

Originally Posted by JDiver
It's much the same with some other airlines as well. BA for instance, allows you to seamlessly change or select seats on a BA codeshare operated by AA via Manage My Booking, but if you try the link to Iberia, it requires a code (maybe an Iberia Plus number?) to access, so it doesn't work. Etc.

It can be easier in some circumstances if you have the other airline's PNR, and some have reported success using Finnair's or Royal Jordanian websites. But they may not allow you to supersede another airline's booking policies, if JL only allows oneworld Sapphires to select seats 72 hours or less in advance, or restricts seat selection by fare class.
With regard to BA, seat assignments for one leg of my current booking have been anything but seamless, unfortunately.

I have a business class trip coming up, ticketed through AA. LAS-LHR-MUC. LAS-LHR is a BA operated AA codeshare (I Class), and LHR-MUC is BA (J Class). I've paid for seat assignments on the LAS-LHR leg, no issues there. Looks fine on both the BA and AA sides.

However, when I access MMB on BA's site for selecting my seat on the LHR-MUC leg, it indicates I can select seats for free. When I attempt to do this, though, it returns an error message that I must call BA. BA apparently can't assign seats either, which is puzzling. AA's site indicates I have seats assigned on that leg, but BA claims they can't even bring up the seat map via my PNR. Very odd.

Are there any known issues with seat assignments on an AA-issued, all BA metal reservation? I am not really concerned about the Europe flight so much because I am aware of BA's Club Europe seat configuration, but I would feel more comfortable if there was not a hang-up with the seat assignments.
Old Jul 22, 2015, 10:00 am

Programs: AA Plat, HH Diamond, SPG GLD, MR GLD
Does anyone have recent experience reserving seats in advance on RJ? I have a JFK-AMM-CAI and an CAI-AMM-ORD leg in December and wanted to get a jump on seat assignments if possible. I've had no trouble getting the BA PNR and reserving my seats on MMB as Plat. for BA flights, but I didn't know if similar was possible on RJ.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.