Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Advance seat assignments on codeshare flights

Search this Thread

Old Nov 19, 2010, 8:43 am

AA/Cathay Question

Booked a codeshare through AA on Cathay. I got my Cathay Booking Reference from AA and changed my seats on Cathay's website. AA's website doesn't reflect the change and still shows the old seat assignment. The AA customer service rep said she couldn't do anything about it. Any idea as what is going on? I don't want to end up in a middle seat for a 16 hour flight... Thanks!
Old Nov 19, 2010, 4:19 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by dozerman
Booked a codeshare through AA on Cathay. I got my Cathay Booking Reference from AA and changed my seats on Cathay's website. AA's website doesn't reflect the change and still shows the old seat assignment. The AA customer service rep said she couldn't do anything about it. Any idea as what is going on? I don't want to end up in a middle seat for a 16 hour flight... Thanks!
That's normal behavior for CX. The seat assignment gets returned as a message that's not picked up by aa.com; in any rate what's ALWAYS important is what the operating carrier's systems have, not what is listed somewhere else.
Old Sep 20, 2011, 10:11 am
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
Welcome to FlyerTalk.

What hillrider said. The aa.com website has a number of quirks, and that is one of them - many airline reservation systems do not play well with one another. Keep an eye on the Cathay website - that's the one that will reflect your actual seat location.

Originally Posted by dozerman
Old Sep 20, 2011, 12:57 pm

Programs: AA ExPlat
So I kind of have a few newb questions and sorry if it is basic and posted elsewhere. However I am flying to Berlin in a few months originating at LAX and connecting through LHR most likely.

I like flying BA to LHR more than I like AA. Plus I will fly BA to Berlin and the transfer from T3 to T5 at LHR is a complete beating!!

Should I book my trip through the BA website or AA as a codeshare? Last couple of times I have flown to the UK I booked using the BA website and gave them my AA# without issue. So is there any advantage to booking through the AA website?

If I book through AA will I have an issue getting an advanced seat assignment on a BA flight? Can I get exit row on BA in advance through AA since I am platinum?

Last two times I flew BA I didn't have status so I had to wait with all the other chumps when the free seating opened up. And as a result I am not privy on the procedures.

Thanks in advance!
Old Sep 27, 2011, 5:46 pm

Programs: AA ExPlat
Originally Posted by Juxta3000
So I kind of have a few newb questions and sorry if it is basic and posted elsewhere. However I am flying to Berlin in a few months originating at LAX and connecting through LHR most likely.

I like flying BA to LHR more than I like AA. Plus I will fly BA to Berlin and the transfer from T3 to T5 at LHR is a complete beating!!

Should I book my trip through the BA website or AA as a codeshare? Last couple of times I have flown to the UK I booked using the BA website and gave them my AA# without issue. So is there any advantage to booking through the AA website?

If I book through AA will I have an issue getting an advanced seat assignment on a BA flight? Can I get exit row on BA in advance through AA since I am platinum?

Last two times I flew BA I didn't have status so I had to wait with all the other chumps when the free seating opened up. And as a result I am not privy on the procedures.

Thanks in advance!
I hope that bumping is ok. Sorry again to be a pain.

Thanks.
Old Sep 28, 2011, 12:33 am

Programs: AA EXP (2.5MM), Hilton Gold, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by Juxta3000

Thanks in advance!
Are you booking as a BA or AA flight number? If you book as an AA flight number you should be able to pic your seats talking to AA customer service.

Getting miles credit for a BA flight shouldn't be an issue with the recent changes there.

May also be best to just call up AA customer service and ask them if you would be able to pick seats on a BA ticket and even confirm if you can pick seats on an AA ticket for a BA operated flight. Most of the questions I've seen have been around mileage credit, so I guess I'm not much help on the seat selection options. (I stick to AA metal for eVIP usage)
Old Sep 28, 2011, 8:30 am

Programs: AA EXP, UA GLD, Bonvoy Titan, HH Dia, WoH Exp
BA only allows pre-assigned exit row seats to OW Emeralds. So as an AA PLT, you will not get to select exit rows ahead of time. If this is important, you may want to book the TATL portion on AA metal if you are not planning to upgrade to J.
Old Oct 5, 2011, 10:32 pm

Programs: AA Platinum HHonors Gold
I just booked NRT/TPE on AA codeshare with JL. Of course seat selection isn't available on the AA website. I got the record locator from AA and called JL to reserve a seat but was told that since my ticket had been booked in N through AA, seat selection could only be made at the gate. It didn't matter that I was AA Plat. Called AA and was told that they couldn't help either. On the other hand, CX was willing to book me in an exit row on an AA codeshare w/o any problem. No more codeshares with JL for me...
Old Oct 6, 2011, 9:24 am

Programs: AA EXP, LT Gold
Originally Posted by dridr
I just booked NRT/TPE on AA codeshare with JL. Of course seat selection isn't available on the AA website. I got the record locator from AA and called JL to reserve a seat but was told that since my ticket had been booked in N through AA, seat selection could only be made at the gate. It didn't matter that I was AA Plat. Called AA and was told that they couldn't help either. On the other hand, CX was willing to book me in an exit row on an AA codeshare w/o any problem. No more codeshares with JL for me...
Wowzers, thanks for the heads up. That's no good.
Old Oct 6, 2011, 11:37 pm

Programs: AA EXP (2.5MM), Hilton Gold, Marriott Titanium
I've had good luck with getting the record locator/PNR for the appropriate carrier and just calling them directly. Give them their PNR and explain your position and you'll likely then be able to select seats based on your AA/OW status. At least thats how its worked for me with non-AA carriers/flights.
Old Oct 7, 2011, 8:55 am

Programs: AA EXP, UA GLD, Bonvoy Titan, HH Dia, WoH Exp
Did you ask the AA agent if he/she could get seat assignments on the JL flight? I have had no problem getting seat assignments on JL on award tickets, but not sure if paid codeshare tickets are different. Unfortunately the exit row seats were blocked and I am not sure if JL allows pre-assigned exit row seat assignment for OWE/OWS.
Old Oct 7, 2011, 11:45 am

Programs: AA Platinum HHonors Gold
Thanks Time Traveler and Mikelat - I tried again - called the dedicated phone # for AA Plat - all they could do was give me the record locator again with JL. I then called JL again. Was again told that N class ticket doesn't show up on their screen for seat assignments. This time I was told to try with the JL website 72 hrs prior to departure. I guess that's all that I can do (sigh).
Old Aug 28, 2012, 2:22 am

Thanks Time Traveler and Mikelat - I tried again - called the dedicated phone # for AA Plat - all they could do was give me the record locator again with JL. I then called JL again. Was again told that N class ticket doesn't show up on their screen for seat assignments. This time I was told to try with the JL website 72 hrs prior to departure. I guess that's all that I can do (sigh).
Thanks for posting this. I have a segment booked in N on JL (not as a codeshare, but an actual JL flight number, but purchased on AA.com because there are AA segments). AA EXP desk can't assign me a seat, and I tried calling in and they can't assign either. I'll see if I can do it online within the 72-hour window.
Old Aug 28, 2012, 8:34 am

Programs: AA EXP 3MM
Originally Posted by FlyMeToTheLooneyBin
Thanks for posting this. I have a segment booked in N on JL (not as a codeshare, but an actual JL flight number, but purchased on AA.com because there are AA segments). AA EXP desk can't assign me a seat, and I tried calling in and they can't assign either. I'll see if I can do it online within the 72-hour window.
If you happen to be passing through an airport with a JL ticket desk or lounge in the meantime, it may be worth asking them for a seat assignment. Worked for me in the JL lounge in LHR T3 when I was unable to do it on the phone with AA or JL.
Old Aug 28, 2012, 9:45 am

Originally Posted by beerup
If you happen to be passing through an airport with a JL ticket desk or lounge in the meantime, it may be worth asking them for a seat assignment. Worked for me in the JL lounge in LHR T3 when I was unable to do it on the phone with AA or JL.
Good suggestion. I'll head to the airport (LAX) early and swing my TBIT to see what they can do.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.