Community
Wiki Posts
Search

ARCHIVE:,Guide to, and listing of, compensation (2003 - 2011)

Search this Thread

Old Jul 7, 2008, 10:08 am
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Alaska MVP Gold 75K, AA 3.8MM, UA 1.1MM, enjoying the retired life
Have you consulted:
Guide to, and listing of, compensation (consolidated)
Old Jul 7, 2008, 10:10 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, 6MM; BA GLD
Originally Posted by tom911
That won't help the OP, since it only lists compensation received from, and not payable to, the airline.
Old Jul 7, 2008, 10:14 am
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Alaska MVP Gold 75K, AA 3.8MM, UA 1.1MM, enjoying the retired life
Clearly 8 days of inhaling chlorine at poolside has impacted my ability to read.
Old Jul 7, 2008, 10:42 am

Programs: UA 1K, AA 2MM, Bonvoy LT Plt, Mets fan
I've been retained by AA as their counsel in this matter. We are prepared to settle for 6,000 miles; please transfer 2,000 to my AAccount as my 1/3 contingency fee, and AA will debit your account directly for the other 4,000.

Old Jul 7, 2008, 11:08 am

Programs: AA Gold MM, DL Gold, US MM, HH Gold, Starwood
You have to check bags on your next three trips and pay the fees. After that, you may resume the benefits of any elite status you may have.

Cheers
Old Jul 7, 2008, 11:23 am

Programs: AA Lifetime Platinum, Hyatt Plat Hilton Gold, SPG Gold, Club Carl Gold, IHG Plat
CO FF -- no one does a 1/3 contingency fee anymore. Surely you meant 40%, correct?
Old Jul 7, 2008, 11:25 am

I got 15K miles ( unsolicited!) for broken IFE in J to NRT.
Old Jul 7, 2008, 11:35 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Location: Living the dream in Antigua and the nightmare in Florida
Programs: AA PLAT 2MM, *A Gold, WN detractor
Originally Posted by cordata
I got 15K miles ( unsolicited!) for broken IFE in J to NRT.
Well frost my weenie! UA only gave me 10k for a similar issue.
Old Jul 7, 2008, 11:47 am

Originally Posted by SJCFlyerLG
Well frost my weenie! UA only gave me 10k for a similar issue.
Continuing down this avenue of the topic of malfunctioning IFE... earlier this year I received $100 cash upon deplaning on a DL flight in J from ATL-ICN.
Old Jul 14, 2008, 3:11 pm

Programs: AA PLT (2MM-- thank you FT!), UAL, DL, AF, BA
broken window shade

July 7
Plat
X class (sticker upgrade)
3,000 miles

Window shade broken on DFW-LAX flight. Emailed AA to alert them of the problem, not requesting or expecting compensation. also complemented the excellent service on the flight, which was indeed noteworthy. rec'd 3000 miles and gracious semi-automated response approx 5 days later. very generous of them, imo.
Old Jul 15, 2008, 3:33 pm

Programs: AA Almost GLD
PHL-ORD on July 8th, flight 1729.

Flight pulls in about 15 minutes late, everyone gets off, routine stuff, then, i see them crack open the nose and start fooling around with cables, and the gate agents says theyre inspecting a possible mechanical problem. At this point, I know i'm not getting out of Philly any time soon. I don't have status yet (doing a GLD challenge now), so I go and stand as close as possible to the gate without looking like i'm nuts. Ten minutes later, flight's cancelled, and i end up second in line for rebooking Got rebooked on the 7:35 (confirmed seat) and on the standby for the 5:05. Took my meal voucher, ate, and waited at the gate for the 5:05. EXPs and PLTs knocked me down to #13 on the standy list, 12 people ended up being able to get on the 5:05. (I wish I was kidding) The 7:35 doesnt get in until almost nine because of the weather, but i finally get to Chicago around 11:30.

Emailed AA about the delay, saying that the decreasing reliability of the MD80 fleet is reducing my preference of AA over other airlines. Complimented the gate agent (who really was a pleasure to deal with...i assume because i was one of the first few) Didn't ask for them, but I ended up with 5,000 bonus miles.
Old Jul 16, 2008, 1:27 pm

Programs: UA Premier Platinum, Skyteam Elite Plus (KE Morning Calm Premium)
Missed connecting flight (mechanical problem) & stay 1 night in DFW- compensation?

Hi. I and my wife (pregnant) got back from Puerto Rico. My scheduled flight was from SJU to ATL (via MIA). Departure time of SJU was 545PM and Arrival time in ATL was 1155PM. I check the status of my flight and saw my flight from SJU to MIA was delayed about an hour. (Usually delay gets longer. in this case I will miss my flight to ATL in MIA).

So we rushed to the airport and tried to standby on the earlier flight to MIA (145PM). We could not get the seats and then my flight is delayed two hours (reason: delayed inbound aircraft). Now it was clear that we could not make the connection.

We went to AA customer service asking 1) confirmed seats on the next flight to MIA (325PM) since we are not able to make a connection or 2) rerouting SJU-ORD-ATL or SJU-DFW-ATL 3) taking Delta or Airtran non-stop flight. But the agent said flights are overbooked, only we can do is standby.

We were on standby on flight (300PM) to ORD, did not get the seats.

We were almost lucky enough to get on the flight to MIA 325PM. The agent told us to take unoccupied seats. We entered the aircraft without seat number and even put the bag in the overhead bin. However, one flight attendant told us we can't go, since they need to take off-duty flight attendants. We had to get off the airplane with our bags.

Finally we got our seats on flight to DFW (440PM arriving 830PM and connecting to ATL 935PM arriving 1235AM) They closed the gate ontime and went to the runway. The captain found there was a mechanical problem with nose of the aircraft. They push back to the gate and sat about an hour and 10 minutes. I missed my flight to ATL. American airline offered us a stay at Holiday Express without any other compensations. - no meal voucher, no coupons.

Finally we got home the next day. I and my wife missed our work. It is not weather related. It is totally AA's fault. At least, we missed the work. We paid addtional one day airport parking. We paid $40 for dinner at DFW.
What can we do?

I am not familiar with how AA handles this kind of issues. I am a genaral member with AA, just 50K miles in my AA acount. I have experiences with United 1) 5K miles for two hour delays, 2) $100 discount coupon for schedule change, and 3) free roundtrip ticket for volunteering.

Any suggestions to get compensation?
Old Jul 16, 2008, 1:35 pm
brp
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, BA Silver, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton diamond, Marriott Platinum
My general experience (even as EXP) is that they spring for the hotel in this case, as they did for you. In a few cases, I've called and asked for out-of-pocket (for a cab when the hotel shuttle simply would not show up). Nothing more than that. You might get a voucher to cover the meal, but I wouldn't expect to get much more.

Congrats to you and your wife, by the way

Cheers.
Old Jul 16, 2008, 1:44 pm

Programs: AA EXP BA Gold, TK Gold, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton Diamond, AS 100K, QR PLT, SAS Gold, IHG Spire, AMR
Sounds like you had a dickens of a time getting back home. I would write a factual letter to AA customer service and see what they do for you. It helps if you specify what you would like for them to do. Of course, be reasonable... don't ask for two F class tickets to Rome...
Old Jul 16, 2008, 3:28 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, 6MM; BA GLD
Originally Posted by Deltahater
Of course, be reasonable... don't ask for two F class tickets to Rome...
J, perhaps, but not F (which would be unreasonable because AA does not offer F service to FCO).

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.