Community
Wiki Posts
Search

ARCHIVE:,Guide to, and listing of, compensation (2003 - 2011)

Search this Thread

Old Apr 8, 2010, 3:54 pm

Programs: OW Emerald - HH Diamond
The AA forum is the most hospitable shark-tank I've ever visited. I'm glad to call it home.
Old Apr 8, 2010, 9:19 pm

Programs: AA Peon Gold
Originally Posted by Blumie
The OP has always provided us with plenty of ammo to make fun of him, but isn't "gaming the system" what FT is all about? I don't know about you guys, but I game the system all the time and am not the least bit embarrassed about it.
No, not at all, there's nothing wrong with gaming the system - I do it as much as anyone else - that's what FT is all about . However, is complaining until being placated really gaming the system? Did the OP really utilize anything that was gleaned from FT?

It's amazing how much more I've gotten (and most of you have as well) by knowing the rules of the system (learned here) and using it to our advantage. I don't know about y'all, but that's why I'm here.
Wholeheartedly agree.
Old Apr 10, 2010, 12:02 pm

Programs: SPG Plat AA EXP 2.5MM
Date - 9 April 2010
AAdvantage Status - EXP
Fare class - J - used eVIP to F
Flight 167 - JFK - NRT
What happened

Very happy on boarding, pleasant FA's, I have done this trip several times before. About an hour into the flight the crew makes the announcement that they need to reboot the IFE system. No worries, I have seen this before. Another announcement, 30 mins later, they cannot reboot and are shutting down the power which means loss of IFE and on board DC power. In addition they had to make a decision re the overhead lights as they could not be controlled at your seat so it was either they stay on or off for the duration of the flight. They chose to keep them on.

The FA did come and say that they had a few of the portable IFE systems but that they were on batteries so would not last as they could not be charged on board.

I did not really care about the IFE but was more peeved that I could not finish my work on my laptop (it lasted 2 hrs) which was my plan for the flight.

I do enough flying to know that stuff happens, I have never submitted a complaint to AA so was looking for some guidance on what I should ask for re compensation. I would be happy to get my EVIP back.

Thanks
Old Apr 10, 2010, 12:58 pm
Moderator: New York City and FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA PLT, Natl EC
My guess based on past reports is that you would get miles or a voucher for the lack of IFE and in-seat power, as AA tends to be generous for equipment problems. Return of your eVIP seems unlikely given that the equipment problems were not F-specific - you still got the seat & service.
Old Apr 13, 2010, 3:49 pm

Programs: AA EXP IC AMBASSADOR/DIAMOND Tk/ELITE (*G), JumeirahONE Gold
Problem in seat - Compensation

I am an EXP. Last week I flew international to LHR from the US and had an issue with a seat (I was flying in L upgraded to J with an EVIP). I made a complaint re seat and I got an email saying that I was going to get a voucher. How much should the voucher be for?

Thanks
Old Apr 13, 2010, 3:52 pm
brp
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, BA Silver, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton diamond, Marriott Platinum
This would probably be best in the compensation thread:

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/ameri...solidated.html

(Search term {compensation})

Cheers.
Old Apr 13, 2010, 4:23 pm
nsr

Originally Posted by palermo
I am an EXP. Last week I flew international to LHR from the US and had an issue with a seat (I was flying in L upgraded to J with an EVIP). I made a complaint re seat and I got an email saying that I was going to get a voucher. How much should the voucher be for?

Thanks
100-150.
Old Apr 13, 2010, 5:01 pm

Programs: AA EXP 3.4MM, BAEC, UAMP, Skyteam (<10k) HH Gold, IHG Plat, Hertz Gold, GE/TSA TT
any voucher amount would be good value.... i've had seat problems on much longer flights and gotten a maximum of 7k miles as compensation.
Old Apr 13, 2010, 5:25 pm

Programs: AA EXP IC AMBASSADOR/DIAMOND Tk/ELITE (*G), JumeirahONE Gold
Originally Posted by billgrates3
any voucher amount would be good value.... i've had seat problems on much longer flights and gotten a maximum of 7k miles as compensation.
I would have gone for the miles to be honest if they were more than 7k but no choice, they are sending me a voucher

Last edited by palermo; Apr 13, 2010 at 5:44 pm
Old Apr 15, 2010, 2:15 pm

Programs: DL-Polished Aluminum, Air Mobility Command-Chartreuse
Int'l going rate for VDB?

Hey all,

The msp2anywhere crew is heading to LHR via AA98 on 30 April, seatcounter.com shows zeros across the board, and I'm wondering (big if) what the going rate for VDB is should it be oversold.

(though I am a little skeptical as seatcounter shows all ORD-LHR that day zeroed out...)

Thanks!
Old Apr 15, 2010, 2:26 pm
Senior Moderator and Moderator: American AAdvantage & TravelBuzz

Programs: AA EXP, Marriott Titanium
Originally Posted by msp2anywhere
Hey all,

The msp2anywhere crew is heading to LHR via AA98 on 30 April, seatcounter.com shows zeros across the board, and I'm wondering (big if) what the going rate for VDB is should it be oversold.

(though I am a little skeptical as seatcounter shows all ORD-LHR that day zeroed out...)

Thanks!

Seatcounter doesn't always work for AA flights, especially for the 777s. See this thread: http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/ameri...solidated.html

I checked Expertflyer for you...
AA98 on 30 April is:
F7 A6 J7 D7 R7 I0 Y7 B7 H7 K7 M7 W7 L6 V3 G1 N0 Q0 S0 O0

Looks like there are still seats being offered at some of the cheaper fare buckets. At this point, doesn't look like they're going to be oversold. But ya never know what will happen.

My VDB for LHR-ORD was $500 a few weeks ago.
Old Apr 20, 2010, 8:07 am

Programs: AA ExPLT, Bonvoy Titanium, Amex PLT, Hertz GLD, National EX
Date: April 17
AAdvantage Status: None
Flight: 2050 ORD-MIA
Fare class: Y (rebooked flight, not original fare class)

What happened: Flight was originally scheduled to depart at 10:50 a.m. While waiting at the gate, an announcement was made that there was an issue with the in-flight entertainment system that they were trying to fix. At around 11:00 a.m. they started boarding the plane. I left my phone on and keep receiving txt messages from AA that the flight was delayed. At 1 p.m. received a txt that the flight was delayed till 2 p.m. A few minutes later an announcement was made that the plane was being taken out of service and we needed to board another plane. Finally made it home at 6:30 p.m. - 3 hours later than originally scheduled.

Compensation: 3,000 miles

Comments: I didn't complain. Received the following e-mail today and miles have already posted.

April 20, 2010
Dear CYNCYN129:

When your April 17 flight didn't operate on schedule, we, too, were disappointed. Please accept our apology for any inconvenience this flight delay may have caused you. We know how valuable our customers' time is and all our efforts are focused on the on time departure of each and every flight. We'll continue that focus, and the next time you fly with us we'll do our best to ensure you arrive at your destination as scheduled!

Just to give you a little encouragement to fly with us again sometime soon, I've credited your AAdvantageŽ account with 3,000 bonus miles. This mileage adjustment will appear in a few days. To view your account, go to http://www.aa.com/aadvantage.

Again, we are sorry for the delay of your flight. We'll do better next time.
Old Apr 20, 2010, 8:36 am

Update on above post

I just found out that my travel partner on the delayed flight received 5,000 miles for the same delay. She is Gold, I have no status. Is it standard procedure to treat passengers who experienced the same delay differently? I shot off an e-mail to customer service asking that we both be treated equally.
Old Apr 20, 2010, 1:15 pm

Last Update

Not that long after, I received the following e-mail:

April 20, 2010
Dear Ms. CYNCYN129:

Thank you for following up with us. I am sorry for the discrepancy. It was actually our intention to award you with the same 5,000.

The additional 2,000 miles has been added to your account. You should see the posting within 72 hours.

We appreciate your business and look forward to serving you soon. It is always our pleasure.

Sincerely,

<name redacted>
Customer Relations
American Airlines

Last edited by JDiver; Apr 20, 2010 at 3:17 pm Reason: TOS #69: Respect the privacy of non-management travel service employees by not referring to them by name.
Old Apr 20, 2010, 1:56 pm

Programs: AA Plat; CO Gold; AS MVPG; SPG Gold; PC Gold AMB
Date: Apr 14, 2010

AAdvantage Status: Plat

Fare class: S (discounted Y)

What happened: After the plane accelerate for about 3 seconds, it slows down and the crew announced that due to engine issue we could not take off (there's a strange smell from the engine). Then we deplaned, they prepare another plane and we re-boarded. The departure was delayed for 2+ hours.

Compensation: 3,000 miles.

Comments: I didn't complain. I just pointed out this issue and praised the pilots for their profession and consideration. I think they did a good job in avoiding a potential safety hazard. So I wrote a praise in customer relation. But it seems that they processed all the comments in the same way regardless of the category you select.
I do like the 3,000 miles, though.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.