Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > American Airlines | AAdvantage (Pre-Consolidation with USAir)
Reload this Page >

Hang on to your wallets - $50 co-pay increase for mileage upgrades, effective Oct 1st

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Hang on to your wallets - $50 co-pay increase for mileage upgrades, effective Oct 1st

Search this Thread

Old Aug 5, 2008, 9:37 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP 3MM, Lifetime Platinum, Marriott Titanium, HH Gold
Originally Posted by MIKESILV
So you think this makes up for all those e-vips floating around in the hands of the newly minted AADR Exps?

mike
Probably not. There are lots of options for the 125k AADER EXPs. I suspect that a bunch of less-informed EXPs who reach 125k will choose the 25,000 bonus miles or 1-year AC membership.

And frankly, there will be fewer AADER EXPs than you might think. I was on a MAD-MIA segment recently with a lady who had been EXP for 20 years, and she had never heard of AADER, even though it was posted all over AA.com for weeks!
Old Aug 5, 2008, 10:15 pm

Originally Posted by pdog02
New Changes to Upgrade Awards

In addition to the award changes already announced that are taking effect October 1, 2008, AAdvantage will be announcing the following tomorrow:

Effective October 1, 2008, a non-refundable co-payment of $50.00USD will be required to claim one-way upgrade awards used with most Discount Economy fares when traveling:

Within the continental U.S. / Canada
Within and between the continental U.S. / Canada / Mexico / The Caribbean
Between North America and Central America

Additionally, the non-refundable co-payment required when claiming one-way upgrade awards from most Discount Economy fares when traveling between North America and Europe, Japan, China, India, Argentina, Bolivia, Brazil, Chile, or Uruguay will increase from $300.00USD to $350.00USD. Co-pays on upgrades to/from Hawaii and South America Zone 1 will remain at $150.00USD.
Is this the funding for new Arpey executive bonus plan?
Old Aug 5, 2008, 10:39 pm
Moderator: Coupon Connection & S.P.A.M

Programs: Destination Unknown, TSA Disparager Diamond (LTDD)
Thumbs down

Co-pay?? NO WAY!
Old Aug 5, 2008, 10:44 pm

Programs: BA Gold, AA Lifetime Gold 1.8mm, IC Spire Ambassador, Hilton Diamond, SPG Gold et al
The international co-pay rise (it's not that long since it was just $250) has made eVIPs even more valuable. I will hit EXP qualification again this year but wasn't going to try for the 2 extra for 125,000. I might just reconsider that now.
Old Aug 5, 2008, 11:13 pm
brp
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, BA Silver, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton diamond, Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by Blueboys999
The international co-pay rise (it's not that long since it was just $250) has made eVIPs even more valuable. I will hit EXP qualification again this year but wasn't going to try for the 2 extra for 125,000. I might just reconsider that now.
The other thing to consider is that there seems to be a surfeit of eVIPs the last year or so...for those so inclined.

Cheers.
Old Aug 6, 2008, 1:19 am

Programs: AA LTP 2MM, Marriott/SPG Rabid Plat w/Ambassador, HHonors Gold
I'm not exactly sure how to interpret the effective date on this. If you request a mileage upgrade before Oct. 1st, but it doesn't clear until afterwards, will they charge you the increased co-pay?
Old Aug 6, 2008, 1:54 am

Programs: AA EXP
Originally Posted by r415
I'm not exactly sure how to interpret the effective date on this. If you request a mileage upgrade before Oct. 1st, but it doesn't clear until afterwards, will they charge you the increased co-pay?
The quote above states the changed fee 'will be required to claim one-way upgrade awards'

That is consistent with the fact that you pay the co-pay when claiming the award so I would expect that upgrades claimed before Oct 1st will be at the current prices not the new price.
Old Aug 6, 2008, 4:16 am

Programs: AA 2.7MM LTP, UA Gold, Marriott LTT, Nat'l Emerald Exec)
Originally Posted by jrockway
Does anyone use eVIPs for domestic flights?
I do.

My company pays for business on international flights, and I never fly a three class plane, so I have no use for the eVIP's I earn.
Old Aug 6, 2008, 5:49 am

Location: AA Lifetime PLT , BA Silver , BD RIP , HH Gold, SPG / Marriott PLT , EF Subscriber
Still less than the BA Fuel and Taxes surcharge on their Free [SIC] Tickets
Old Aug 6, 2008, 6:01 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Finally back in Boston after escaping from New York
Big groan: The new fee

Even bigger groan:
Originally Posted by brp
It's OK. Reading this thread would make anyone's mind feeble.
Mike
Old Aug 6, 2008, 7:46 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, 6MM; BA GLD
Originally Posted by ESpen36
And frankly, there will be fewer AADER EXPs than you might think. I was on a MAD-MIA segment recently with a lady who had been EXP for 20 years, and she had never heard of AADER, even though it was posted all over AA.com for weeks!
Is anone else scratching their heads over how one single person, who already is EXP and thus clearly does not need the AADER promotion to qualify, has not heard of AADER proves that there will be fewer AADER EXPs than we might think?
Old Aug 6, 2008, 8:03 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA PLT (2.9+ MM), HH GLD, Hyatt Diamond, SPG PLT
Originally Posted by Blumie
Is anone else scratching their heads over how one single person, who already is EXP and thus clearly does not need the AADER promotion to qualify, has not heard of AADER proves that there will be fewer AADER EXPs than we might think?
Valid point. I was pondering that post as well, but specifically the notation of a 20 year EXP. Did EXP exist in 1988?

Last edited by bdemaria; Aug 6, 2008 at 8:32 am
Old Aug 6, 2008, 8:14 am
brp
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Not at all. This makes complete sense to me, actually. Not counting FT, I would expect EXP to know more about AA than other elite levels (even if they just get there because they fly a lot for work), just because they fly so much. Even if they didn't need to promotion, I'd think they'd be as likely (or more) to know about it. I'm not surprised that they don't, and it also leads me to the same conclusion- there just won't be as many AADER qualifiers as some think. During the promotion I was talking with a PLT who seemed very up on the quirks and nuances of earning miles and points...and he had not heard of AADER.

Prove? No. Lead to that conclusion? It does to me.

Cheers.
Old Aug 6, 2008, 8:24 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, 6MM; BA GLD
Originally Posted by brp
Prove? No. Lead to that conclusion? It does to me.
I happen to agree with the conclusion; I think FTers fail to appreciate how unique we are in our obsessive knowledge (or feigned knowledge, in many cases) of all things AA. I just don't get the "A-therefore-B" suggested by the post I quoted.
Old Aug 6, 2008, 8:26 am
brp
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I happen to agree with the conclusion; I think FTers fail to appreciate how unique we are in our obsessive knowledge (or feigned knowledge, in many cases) of all things AA. I just don't get the "A-therefore-B" suggested by the post I quoted.
Definitely not "A-therefore-B," but an "A-implies-B" IMO. I really think that the lack of knowledge of the AAdvantage minutiae (and these are minutiae to "real" people ) strongly implies lack of registration and benefit. Lack of knowledge among "AA's best customers" embodies that implication to me.

Cheers.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.