Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > American Airlines | AAdvantage (Pre-Consolidation with USAir)
Reload this Page >

Any chance for congratulatory upgrade for newlyweds? ORD-NRT J-F?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Any chance for congratulatory upgrade for newlyweds? ORD-NRT J-F?

Search this Thread

Old May 20, 2008, 5:58 pm

Originally Posted by oklAAhoma
So telling people was the best part of your honeymoon experience? Wow. Talk about YMMV.
I meant the "best part of being at the airport and sitting on the plane for 25 hours." Obviously that was not the "best part of our entire honeymoon."
Old Jul 11, 2008, 10:22 pm

not to reignite this fun little war of words, but the op's flight has come and gone, anyone know how it went.

I only ask because I'm young and greedy, we're flying in T class on an award(intl leg is from dallas-buenos aries) we should have enough miles by then to bump up to business, but she'd rather hang on to the miles for another coach milesaaver award later. Still we'll ask nicely about any upgrade, and we'll get turned down - smiling all the time.
Old Jul 11, 2008, 10:26 pm

Originally Posted by Fraser
If she truly deserves to be there then pay for it.

I find it funny that people see a honeymoon as an important enough occasion to believe the airline should upgrade them for free, yet at the same time not important enough for them to pay for that upgrade themselves.

If you want a reliable strategy then pay for it. Travelling in F was important for me on my honeymoon so I paid for it. I suggest you do the same to avoid disappointment.
Brilliant response.

The comment about them being a young, fun couple is a bit bizarre. Gee, the last 10 or so flights I've been in that cabin, I recall it being full of Japanese businessmen.
Old Jul 11, 2008, 10:27 pm

Originally Posted by turin39789
not to reignite this fun little war of words, but the op's flight has come and gone, anyone know how it went.

I only ask because I'm young and greedy, we're flying in T class on an award(intl leg is from dallas-buenos aries) we should have enough miles by then to bump up to business, but she'd rather hang on to the miles for another coach milesaaver award later. Still we'll ask nicely about any upgrade, and we'll get turned down - smiling all the time.
The Japanese don't give it away like the Americans, and as a result they have a product that's about 1000 times better!
Old Jul 11, 2008, 10:33 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime PLT, AS MVPG, HH Diamond, NCL Platinum Plus, MSC Diamond
Originally Posted by jrhone
I wouldnt be ticked off about it, as long as I follow the procedures for op-ups and do my job correctly then there is nothing for me to be upset about really.

That being said , there are certain criteria for op-ups and if you give it to someone who does not meet that criteria I would take the seat back.

The agent giveth, the agent taketh away
What are the criteria?
Old Jul 11, 2008, 10:34 pm

Originally Posted by azmojo
Certainly being newlyweds is *a* reason, but it may not be the best reason. If they have to give an op-up out, better to give it to newlyweds than random guy, don't you think? .
Better to give it to the guys and gals who spend the big bucks and keep the company afloat as frequent flyers with them.

If they gave all their premium seats away to newlyweds, or people celebrating their birthdays, or their graduation, etc........they would have no revenue. They have to reward those who have earned the privilege by flying with them.
Old Jul 11, 2008, 10:39 pm

xxxxx

Last edited by meeshi; Oct 20, 2011 at 8:01 am Reason: xxxxx
Old Jul 11, 2008, 10:46 pm

Programs: AA Platinum 2.3MM (Lifetime PLT)
Originally Posted by meeshi
Ask the gate agent when they are not busy. Have AA put a check in remark for the airport staff to see. Usually they read like...AA/NRT on honeymoon. Please show all courtesies for upgrade if possible You would be surprised that the normal people whom assume they will be pulled up are often not for those that ask kindly. Have a nice honeymoon.
Is this message a test to see if anyone is reading?

"Please show all courtesies for upgrade if possible."
Yeah, right. Somehow I doubt that such a notation from anything less than Special Services Manager or someone else in management, even if it could be entered into the PNR, would be worth anything.

"You would be surprised that the normal people whom assume they will be pulled up are often not for those that ask kindly."
Baloney.
Old Jul 11, 2008, 11:18 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA 2MM, AS MVP Gold, Hilton Diamond
Do we really have to go through all this yet again? In the same thread?
Old Jul 11, 2008, 11:19 pm

xxxxx

Last edited by meeshi; Oct 20, 2011 at 8:00 am Reason: xxxxx
Old Jul 11, 2008, 11:22 pm

Originally Posted by gemac
Do we really have to go through all this yet again? In the same thread?
It would appear so, as the policies have changed from those published before, please reference post #190.
Old Jul 11, 2008, 11:23 pm

xxxxx

Last edited by meeshi; Oct 20, 2011 at 8:00 am Reason: xxxxx
Old Jul 11, 2008, 11:30 pm

Programs: AA Platinum 2.3MM (Lifetime PLT)
It also will depend on which desk the airline agent works...the higher the desk the better the reference and action needed. Usually the wording is even simplier...just show all courtesies..which means please pull up one cabin if catered and available.
Welcome to Flyertalk and the AA Forum.

How do you know all this?
Old Jul 11, 2008, 11:34 pm

xxxxx

Last edited by meeshi; Oct 20, 2011 at 7:59 am Reason: xxxxx
Old Jul 11, 2008, 11:38 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime PLT, AS MVPG, HH Diamond, NCL Platinum Plus, MSC Diamond
It also will depend on which desk the airline agent works...the higher the desk the better the reference and action needed. Usually the wording is even simplier...just show all courtesies..which means please pull up one cabin if catered and available.
If true, that it makes me wonder why airlines have been making all the fuss over what it is giving frequent flyers. I expect, at least on AA, to get an op-up ahead of non-status passengers.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.