Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Discontinued Programs/Partners > American Airlines | AAdvantage (Pre-Consolidation with USAir)
Reload this Page >

ARCHIVE: BA T5 <-> AA T3 transfer /connection at LHR / Heathrow

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

ARCHIVE: BA T5 <-> AA T3 transfer /connection at LHR / Heathrow

Search this Thread

Old Jun 9, 2008, 6:03 am

Originally Posted by Dave Noble
iirc, you need a boarding pass to pass through but I havent been through for a while.

Dave
Feedback...you do not need a boarding pass to traverse the airport, but you do need a copy of the itn. Security will stamp the itn with a big 'Security / date' stamp.

i.e. Therefore you can proceed directly to the Admirals club.
Old Jun 9, 2008, 10:43 am

Programs: AA EXP-OW Emerald-3 MM-Lifetime Platinum-ADM Club, Hilton Diamond, Marriott Gold
Perfect

Came through T5 from Stuttgart connecting to T3 and AA to LAX. Very smooth, whole process took about 35 minutes from T5 jetbridge to the T3 FS Lounge.
Old Jun 9, 2008, 10:51 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP 2MM, SK EBS
Originally Posted by AAaLot
Feedback...you do not need a boarding pass to traverse the airport, but you do need a copy of the itn. Security will stamp the itn with a big 'Security / date' stamp.

i.e. Therefore you can proceed directly to the Admirals club.
Actually you don't even need a copy of the itenerary to get through the flight connections security.

I passed through LHR in May and completely forgot to have a printout, I was connecting SAS to AA on 2 seperate tickets. At the BP check before security I just told the guy I was connecting onto AA 173 to RDU, he gave me a letter w/ the security stamp which said something to the effect of "this pax has claimed to be on an onward flight etc. etc."
Old Jun 9, 2008, 11:24 am

Programs: AA EXP 1MM, DL PM, Bonvoy Titanium (Plat Life), HH G, Amtrak, B6, MR
I did this a few weeks ago. Arrived on BA from HKG and was connecting to AA. Since I had about 4 hours to spare, I actually went through arrivals and went to the BA arrivals lounge in T5 (why it's landside is beyond me) for a shower, massage and breakfast. Then I took the Heathrow Express to T3. I had no trouble, long lines or long delays anywhere.
Old Jun 9, 2008, 12:38 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: AA Plat 2MM, MR Gold, Avis Pref
Is it any longer one way or another? rephrased, is it longer from AA T3 > BA T5 or is it longer from BA T5 > AA T3
Old Jun 9, 2008, 3:13 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by sxpsxpsxp
I did this a few weeks ago. Arrived on BA from HKG and was connecting to AA. Since I had about 4 hours to spare, I actually went through arrivals and went to the BA arrivals lounge in T5 (why it's landside is beyond me) .
because it is for passengers arriving at LHR and there isn't anywhere else logically to put it; for departing passengers, BA has lounges airside

Dave
Old Jun 30, 2008, 12:29 am
Moderator: American AAdvantage

Programs: AA LT Plat; HH LT Diamond, Maître-plongeur des Muccis
Our recent experience with a 2.5 hour connection T3 - T5 was eminently easier than previous LHR terminal changes - using Flight Connections Centre seemed speedier, the bus has increased its frequency and it took perhaps 35 minutes from arrival in T3 from ORD to arriving in the Galleries First lounge in the appropriate wing for our departure to OTP (though flight departure gates are not posted until fairly close to departure, staff can tell you the usual departure wing.)

But... security is more TSA-like (shoes off in all cases, etc. though this seems to vary on some days,) and our USA cabin-OK rollaboards were counter checked because they did not exactly fit the confines of the carry-on baggage template. The bags did arrive at OTP on our flight, but were not marked Priority (we were in Business and are both oneworld Emerald) or the like, and one of the two bags was amongst the last few delivered to the baggage carousel.

T5 is obviously designed as airport terminal cum upscale shopping centre - but the prices, though they may even be duty free, are certainly far from profit free. I certainly spotted no bargains here.

Our experiences T5 to T3 Wednesday July 2 were quite similar - it did not take long, thoguh US departure shoe carnival etc. does take a little time, and we were soon in the Flagship Lounge. When we emerged for the walk to the distant gate, a chap drove us there n an electric cart, and told us this would not longer be possible in the near future due to the dividers being installed to separate arriving and departing passengers.

(With a side chuckle to Dave Noble on the Arrivals Lounge info! )

Last edited by JDiver; Aug 16, 2008 at 9:54 pm Reason: add / spell check
Old Jun 30, 2008, 3:06 am

Location: USA & UK -- AA EXP 3.5MM, Hyatt Diamond, SPG Plat, Avis President's Club
Originally Posted by JDiver
... using Flight Connections Centre seemed speedier, the bus has increased its frequency and it took perhaps 35 minutes from arrival in T3 from ORD to arriving in the First lounge ...
I shall transit LHR T3 to T5 later this week and will report back. I plan to transfer landside. I think landside transfer might be faster (depending of course upon the queues at immigration, and if you just miss the train which runs every 15 minutes).
But... security is more TSA-like (shoes off in all cases, etc.) ...
I originated at LHR T5 a couple of weeks ago and shoes did not have to come off. Perhaps the origination drill differs from the connection drill.
Old Jun 30, 2008, 6:04 am

Originally Posted by sxpsxpsxp
went to the BA arrivals lounge in T5 (why it's landside is beyond me) for a shower, massage and breakfast.
Originally Posted by Dave Noble
because it is for passengers arriving at LHR and there isn't anywhere else logically to put it; for departing passengers, BA has lounges airside
Plus of course, many [if not most] arriving passengers want access to their checked luggage to shower, change, etc.
Old Jun 30, 2008, 6:37 am

Programs: Recovering AA flyer, LT PLT 2.6 MM
Originally Posted by SquareDanceGuy
I shall transit LHR T3 to T5 later this week and will report back. I plan to transfer landside. I think landside transfer might be faster (depending of course upon the queues at immigration, and if you just miss the train which runs every 15 minutes).
My boss and I actually did a race. He went airside, I used IRIS. Our one data point suggests it's a wash.
Old Jun 30, 2008, 6:40 am

Programs: AA EP 3MM, UA Silver, Bonvoy LT TIT, Hyatt Explorist, HH Silver, Caesars PLT
Originally Posted by HeadInTheClouds
Plus of course, many [if not most] arriving passengers want access to their checked luggage to shower, change, etc.
Amateurs!
Seriously, though, even if checking luggage, I always carry a change of clothes and some essential toiletries in case my checked bags don't make it.
BA...cough...LHR...cough...
Old Jun 30, 2008, 9:18 am

Programs: AA 4.0 MM Lifetime Platinum
Originally Posted by aamilesslave
Amateurs!
Seriously, though, even if checking luggage, I always carry a change of clothes and some essential toiletries in case my checked bags don't make it.
BA...cough...LHR...cough...
I couldn't agree more.
Old Jun 30, 2008, 9:39 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA PLT (2.9+ MM), HH GLD, Hyatt Diamond, SPG PLT
Originally Posted by SquareDanceGuy
I originated at LHR T5 a couple of weeks ago and shoes did not have to come off. Perhaps the origination drill differs from the connection drill.
Sometimes they do require shoes off at T5 connections. Unlike the states where it is mandatory, LHR has a 'random' policy for shoes, some days yes, some days no.
Old Jun 30, 2008, 9:52 am
brp
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, BA Silver, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton diamond, Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by bdemaria
Sometimes they do require shoes off at T5 connections. Unlike the states where it is mandatory, LHR has a 'random' policy for shoes, some days yes, some days no.
When we were last through T3 (end of May) they had a separate shoe x-ray machine after the regular x-ray. No shoes off at the main checkpoint, and then ALL shoes off onto the conveyor belt at the second machine. Not sure if this was made permanent (looked pretty permanent), or is at other terminals, though.

Cheers.
Old Jun 30, 2008, 10:33 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA PLT (2.9+ MM), HH GLD, Hyatt Diamond, SPG PLT
Originally Posted by brp
When we were last through T3 (end of May) they had a separate shoe x-ray machine after the regular x-ray. No shoes off at the main checkpoint, and then ALL shoes off onto the conveyor belt at the second machine. Not sure if this was made permanent (looked pretty permanent), or is at other terminals, though.

Cheers.
The second machine is still there, past the regular Xray - but not everyone has to go thru it. However if you are assigned that line then the shoes definitely have to come off. Some days everyone has to go thru, other days only a few people, and about 6 weeks ago - it was closed completely.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.