Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Heathrow horror?

Search this Thread

Old Jan 23, 2008, 6:27 pm

Programs: AA 2 Million Miles, Emirates Gold
Went through Heathrow 3 times in the last two weeks, most recently today (Jan 23 - Terminal 1). Two carry-on bags allowed now, shoes had to come off, but laptops can stay in the rollaboard, which really is great for me since I travel with two and sometimes three Thinkpads. Today I had three, and the rollaboard squirted through the x-ray without any questions or delays.
Old Jan 23, 2008, 7:14 pm

Programs: Recovering AA flyer, LT PLT 2.6 MM
Originally Posted by spanishflea
The Shoe carnival in the UK does exist. However it exists in the form that only roughly one in three people have to take their shoes off. It is not the same as in the USA where everyone has to take them off.
That actually changes from day to day and time to time. I can be everyone or a selection.
Old Jan 23, 2008, 8:00 pm
abk

Programs: AA LT Plat/8.1mm now with 1350 miles left in my account and proud of it.. SPG LT Titanium.
Originally Posted by brp
Interesting. On Monday, T1-T3 FCC were not making people take off shoes. I thought that this was the new way; I guess I was giving more credit than was due.

Cheers.
on sunday i asked if i needed to take off my shoes and they said i could try with them on. i had thick soles so i went ahead and took them off but it was my choice.
Old Jan 23, 2008, 8:31 pm
Original Member

Programs: AA EXP, UA 1K, Marriott LT Titanium
Wirelessly posted (BlackBerry 8100: BlackBerry8100/4.2.0 Profile/MIDP-2.0 Configuration/CLDC-1.1 VendorID/100)

Given that I usually terminate or originate in London, I haven't connected in four or five years. which is generally faster: iris immigration and hex to t4, or FCC? This will probably be around 7a on a Friday morning connecting to a 9a flight.
Old Jan 24, 2008, 9:07 pm

Programs: AA EXP 3.4MM, BAEC, UAMP, Skyteam (<10k) HH Gold, IHG Plat, Hertz Gold, GE/TSA TT
I have flown into/outof LHR T3 on AA 8 times in the last 2 years, always transferring to/from T4. Only once, when flying LAX-LHR (which flight arrives mid-day, rather than early AM like most flights from JFK) have i run into a gigantic security line at the T4 transfer station. That can be pretty bad, but at least there is only one security stop. If you are on UA, you get stopped 3 times!
Generally, I like LHR much better than BRU, mainly because the T3 A/C and the BA T4 Terraces lounge/Molton Spa are so nice!
Old Jan 25, 2008, 12:40 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA PLT,AS,UA PP,J6,FB,EY,LH,SQ,HH Dmd,Hyatt Glbl,Marriott Plat,IHG Plat,Accor Gold
I recall LHR being very strict about the size of carry-on bags. In other words, wheelies that meet with no objection in the United States or most other countries were vetoed for carry-on at LHR. Is this still the case?
Old Jan 25, 2008, 3:17 am

Programs: AA EXP 4MM
Originally Posted by Thunderroad
I recall LHR being very strict about the size of carry-on bags. In other words, wheelies that meet with no objection in the United States or most other countries were vetoed for carry-on at LHR. Is this still the case?
Yes, but.....

Sitting in the CX lounge right now after having unsuccessfully tried to take my 22" Travelpro Rollaboard through Fast Track in T3. Was stoppped and asked to put the bag in the sizer...sideways. It didn't fit. Was told I had to go back downstairs and check the bag. No amount of reasoning seemed to work
Me:"Listen, in Business, American allows this size bag which fits nicely in the overhead, American allowed me to fly here with it on board, why can't I fly back with the same bag?"
Her: "It's not up to AA, it's a BAA security rule "
Me: "What's bag size got to do with security?"
Her: "If everyone brings that size bag on board, they won't fit"

Me: HUH?
So...not wanting to engage in hours of fascinating repartee like that, I sighed and went down and checked my bag.

Now, the reason I opened my post with yes, but...is that when I got to the line, I saw at least 4 other people who were carrying through security and on-board the same type of US 22" Rollaboard that I had just been denied. Once again the fabulous web of confusion and inconsistency that is LHR shines through.
Old Jan 25, 2008, 4:13 am

Location: USA & UK -- AA EXP 3.5MM, Hyatt Diamond, SPG Plat, Avis President's Club
Originally Posted by Howgart
Was stoppped and asked to put the bag in the sizer...sideways. It didn't fit. Was told I had to go back downstairs and check the bag. No amount of reasoning seemed to work
You can always politely leave the security checkpoint, drop out of sight, dawdle around for a few minutes, then come back through again (maybe past a different goon?) for another chance at winning the rollaboard lottery.
Old Jan 25, 2008, 4:38 am

Programs: AA EXP 2 MM
Originally Posted by Thunderroad
The UK has limited handbaggage at airports to the IATA-recommended maximum size of 56 x 45 x 25 cm (22 x 17.7 x 9.85 in). The problem is that some popular US roll-ons are an inch or so larger when wheels are included.
Old Jan 25, 2008, 7:53 am

Programs: BAGold; AA3MMPlat; UA1MMGold; FBGold; MarriottAmb; AccorPlat; HHGold; ICPlatAmb; HyattDiscoverist
Yes, but.....

Sitting in the CX lounge right now after having unsuccessfully tried to take my 22" Travelpro Rollaboard through Fast Track in T3. Was stoppped and asked to put the bag in the sizer...sideways. It didn't fit. Was told I had to go back downstairs and check the bag. No amount of reasoning seemed to work
Me:"Listen, in Business, American allows this size bag which fits nicely in the overhead, American allowed me to fly here with it on board, why can't I fly back with the same bag?"

So...not wanting to engage in hours of fascinating repartee like that, I sighed and went down and checked my bag.

Now, the reason I opened my post with yes, but...is that when I got to the line, I saw at least 4 other people who were carrying through security and on-board the same type of US 22" Rollaboard that I had just been denied. Once again the fabulous web of confusion and inconsistency that is LHR shines through.
After noting a large number of 22" PLUS wheels and handle carryons making it through T3's FastTrack without issue (T4 is a different story altogether), and not even SEEING a sizing bin, I decided to risk it on my last trip, and took my Travelpro which, with wheels and handle, probably is 23 1/2" long. No problem at all. Your post, though, is leading me to reconsider my packing plans for my next trip.
Old Jan 25, 2008, 8:05 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA PLT (2.9+ MM), HH GLD, Hyatt Diamond, SPG PLT
Originally Posted by rfrost
After noting a large number of 22" PLUS wheels and handle carryons making it through T3's FastTrack without issue (T4 is a different story altogether), and not even SEEING a sizing bin, I decided to risk it on my last trip, and took my Travelpro which, with wheels and handle, probably is 23 1/2" long. No problem at all. Your post, though, is leading me to reconsider my packing plans for my next trip.
Same thing for us on our return from the UK last week, the length of the suitcase was deemed unacceptable at security so we had to check them.
Old Jan 25, 2008, 8:22 am

Programs: American Airlines
Relax. I make connections in and out of LHR about 12 times a year and did so just 2 days ago. True, there are a lot of people there, many of whom seem to be in some sort of "lost" state of mind aimlessly wandering the terminals--families walking 6 abreast in the corridors, and true, terminal changes can take a little time, but it is no more time consuming or otherwise difficult than making your connection at ORD when they don't update the video monitors to show that your flight at K-12 (which you have just "hot-footed" to from, say, G concourse), has been changed to a H-13 departure --the point is, take a deep breath and just go with it--certainly not worth cancelling a trip.

-Eggs-
Old Jan 25, 2008, 8:28 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP / LT PLT / 3MM, Marriott LT Gold
Connected at LHR a week ago with absolutely no problems. The sky is not falling.
Old Jan 25, 2008, 8:44 am
brp
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, BA Silver, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton diamond, Marriott Platinum

Originally Posted by SquareDanceGuy
You can always politely leave the security checkpoint, drop out of sight, dawdle around for a few minutes, then come back through again (maybe past a different goon?) for another chance at winning the rollaboard lottery.
Originally Posted by bdemaria
Same thing for us on our return from the UK last week, the length of the suitcase was deemed unacceptable at security so we had to check them.
Had that same exact argument last year transiting FCC. SDG's suggestion is viable. Another option (what we did) is to clear customs- we even explained the situation to the Fast Track checker and he let us use the Fast Track line. Then went around to the Fast Track security line (bypassing the checking of the bag). There, they don't seem to check at all, even allowing multiple bags back in the days of one carry-on. This only works if traveling in a premium cabin, but I have a feeling, given how much of a class-based society they have in the UK (and BAA, specifically), that they "look the other way" considerably more in Fast Track security. Worked like a charm.

Cheers.
Old Jan 26, 2008, 3:19 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

After last summer - which was truly awful - things do seem to have much better. I've been in and out of all 4 terminals over the last couple of months and security has been much faster, plus the new machines mean you can keep your laptop in your bag. The change to allowing 2 bags doesn't seem to have made queues any worse. The ATC and general congestion hassles are still there, but some of the other stuff has eased right off.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.