Wiki Posts
Search

Heathrow horror?

Search this Thread

Old Jan 23, 2008, 2:57 am

Programs: Mucci, BA Gold, TK Elite, HHonors Lifetime Diamond
No horror!

No horrors.
We flew thru LHR connecting from BA to AA on the way to JFK. Made the transfer within 20 minutes (however we were in Club Europe on BA and could use the FastTrack).

On the was back we transferred from T3 to T1 in 15 minutes (we were the first flight to land into Heathrow that day).

Our luggage was checked-in in L.A. thru JFK thru LHR to KBP - all three bags were transferred to BA and arrived with us.
Old Jan 23, 2008, 3:31 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, Hyatt Lifetime Diamond, CX Gold, Mrs. Pickles travels for free
Originally Posted by SquareDanceGuy
I always look forward to and enjoy LHR, especially the various OneWorld lounges. As OP is flying in J, he will get lounge access.
Dr. Leopold von Sacher-Masoch, I presume?
Old Jan 23, 2008, 4:52 am

Originally Posted by brp
And, as I mentioned above, it can significantly beat even an Int-Dom transfer in the US (ORD, anyway )

Cheers.
ord

door opens in term 5

enjoying a drink at fl at the end of concourse k in term 3 - 30 minutes or less

immigration, customs, train, security - i'll take ord anyday over the hellhole called lhr. but as i said, connecting through lhr will not stop me from taking a trip. it is survivable
Old Jan 23, 2008, 5:02 am

Programs: AA EXP
While a bit of a walk, it really isn't the time spent walking, it is the incredible dinginess of the walk....it is depressing....but on the bright side, no shoes to take off, and no laptops to take out of bags, which just started two weeks ago....all in all, not so bad...
Old Jan 23, 2008, 5:59 am

Programs: DL Platinum, KE Morning Calm
For the last few year, I deplored connecting through LHR, but I wouldn't cancel a trip because of it for sure. If they are allowing two bags and not doing shoes off (I didn't even mind that part so much), then the worst of it for me is over. Enjoy your trip!
Old Jan 23, 2008, 8:39 am

It depends on the connection and the airline

I returned form Malaga to the US (AGP-LHR-BOS) Oct'07 and it was awful. There is an internal security check that took about an hour. This was, of course , after passing through Malaga security ( BA-AA connection)

I once arrived at the Virgin desk (LHR-BOS), and it was mobbed, with not nearly enough attendants to check bags. Check-in was by "emergency" only ( "will all those on the next flight for Paris in 2 minutes please come forward, and kiss the city of lights good bye")

The airport layout does not help. You wait in the central terminal, they don't tell you the gate until 30 min before departure, and some gates are 25 minute walk away.

OTOH, last time through was a breeze
Old Jan 23, 2008, 8:41 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, 6MM; BA GLD
I have connected through LHR innumerable times without a single bad experience or missed connection. Yes, you have to be prepared for long walks. Yes, the lines for the FCC buses can sometimes be long. Yes, the lines to reclear security at your connecting terminal can sometimes be long. But somehow it all works out and you make your connection and you quickly forget about the hassle. Or you can stress about it and allow it to ruin your trip. Let your wife choose.
Old Jan 23, 2008, 9:20 am
brp
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, BA Silver, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton diamond, Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by nacirema
ord

door opens in term 5

enjoying a drink at fl at the end of concourse k in term 3 - 30 minutes or less

immigration, customs, train, security - i'll take ord anyday over the hellhole called lhr. but as i said, connecting through lhr will not stop me from taking a trip. it is survivable
Definitely one of those YMMV situations:

LHR- about half the time of ORD. Bus ride through the bowels of the airport far more interesting than train ride at ORD.

LHR- no shoe carnival- although the "take the liquids out" idiocy is there as well.

Do I prefer LHR to ORD for international transfers? I don't prefer anyone for these...but some evils are worse than others. Also, doesn't snow in London as much

Cheers.
Old Jan 23, 2008, 9:24 am
Original Poster

Programs: Marriott Platinum, Hilton Gold
Thanks for the help

I think she is not so worried about the LHR transfer now. Since we are flying on a business award, we should be in Club Europe on the last leg to Zurich also, which should allow us to use the Fast Track transfer.

I'm really looking forward to my first international business flight(s)!
Old Jan 23, 2008, 2:03 pm

Programs: BA Gold(OWE), QF LTG, MR Plat, IHG Spire, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by brp
LHR- no shoe carnival
Shoe carnival definitely still exists although since they seemed to have recently got more people (finally!) working on security, the lines do seem significantly better than they were a few months back.

LGW has a slightly better shoe arrangement than before. They do it after they have X-rayed your bag and got you to walk through the security arch.
Old Jan 23, 2008, 2:19 pm
brp
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP, BA Silver, Hyatt Globalist, Hilton diamond, Marriott Platinum
Originally Posted by Traveloguy
Shoe carnival definitely still exists although since they seemed to have recently got more people (finally!) working on security, the lines do seem significantly better than they were a few months back.

LGW has a slightly better shoe arrangement than before. They do it after they have X-rayed your bag and got you to walk through the security arch.
Interesting. On Monday, T1-T3 FCC were not making people take off shoes. I thought that this was the new way; I guess I was giving more credit than was due.

Cheers.
Old Jan 23, 2008, 3:23 pm

Originally Posted by brp
Interesting. On Monday, T1-T3 FCC were not making people take off shoes. I thought that this was the new way; I guess I was giving more credit than was due.

Cheers.
The Shoe carnival in the UK does exist. However it exists in the form that only roughly one in three people have to take their shoes off. It is not the same as in the USA where everyone has to take them off.
Old Jan 23, 2008, 3:58 pm

Programs: AA/CO/UA Marriott
The last time I transited LHR the transit line was so long that I went over to immigration and cleared customs into the U.K. (took about 10 minutes). I then walked to the adjacent terminal to catch my UA flight to ORD. I was through elite security and at my gate pretty quickly.
Old Jan 23, 2008, 5:44 pm

The J product on BA is top notch, even if LHR was as bad as people say I'd still risk it. Assuming your return from LHR is on a 747, see if you can wrangle two seats up in the upper deck, it feels almost like you're on a private plane up there.

I last went through LHR in July, I wasn't subject to the sizer going out or coming back, and lines were entirely reasonable at the FCC. Go through with the trip, I'm sure you'll have a great time.
Old Jan 23, 2008, 6:01 pm

Programs: AA-LTP, HH-DIA, Marriott-LT+AMB, Hyatt-Globalist, Hertz-PC, UA-GS
came home yesterday and lhr was pretty empty. i walked into the terminal, got my boarding pass in like 3 mins max, got through security in 7 mins, no kidding, fastest ever and was lounging in no time

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.