Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Check-in at Monterrey, NL / MTY

Search this Thread

Old Oct 29, 2007, 7:45 am

Programs: Latinpass Million Miler. BA Gold.
Originally Posted by TWA Guy
Dec. 2-5, and yourself?
Same dates - arriving on the 1st through DFW, and leaving on the 5th. Same hotel too. Could be the same conference....I've just sent you a PM
Old Oct 29, 2007, 8:46 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lifetime Executive Diamond Platinum VIP with Braniff, Eastern, Midway, National & Pan Am
Originally Posted by El Miameņo
Customs is in Dallas (no preclear in MTY), and the new customs area in DFW is HUGE if you haven't been there yet. Brand spanking new and clean as a whistle.
The only time I've ever been grilled by customs ("Why were you there?" "Who do you know there?" "Who did you meet there?" "You went to Monterrey??? For a weekend???" etc.) was at DFW when returning from MTY.

DFW's new customs facility may be huge and it may be clean but the times I've returned to the US via DFW it's just as slow as any other airport (I have never seen more than 1/3 of the immigration lanes actually open for business at one time).
Old Oct 29, 2007, 7:50 pm

Programs: AA EXP 1.4 MM Hertz Gold, National Executive Elite, Starwood Gold, Hyat Gold
I have been to MTY a few times & 60 min. was more than enough time with out checking in bags.
Old Sep 6, 2014, 3:50 pm

Programs: AA EXP...couple hotels and cars too
Sorry for the resurrection, but this seemed the best place for the question:

I may find myself flying DFW-MTY then MTY-DFW...I will be on the aircraft that makes the flip. Scheduled time is 55 minutes. AA says it is a legal booking.

I know AA says you need to go through immigrations/customs/etc. upon arrival, even when connecting.

Will I really need to? In 2001-2005 I had many contacts at AA Monterrey, and would just call the lounge or counter there and see what they could do, but no more...

Anyone have inputs?
Old Sep 28, 2015, 10:07 pm

Programs: AA EXP...couple hotels and cars too
Ive had to do this twice since the last post. A few comments in case anyone needs it...

Time wise it can be tight, very tight. AA crew doesnt leave the plane, so they have no issues. Staff there insisted I could not stay on board, that I needed to enter MX and go through immigration and customs

First time I was in F down and back, and only had carry on- which fit in the overhead bin on an MD80. I didnt quite grasp the drill, so I got off the plane, went through immigration and out through customs- then back into security, back to the gate. They were boarding.

I did realize that I could have just made a U turn and head back to the gates and not go through customs. Passengers streams mix at this point in the underground tunnel- there are some shops along there, etc. Just stop, look, then walk the other way back towards security. I noted this for future reference.

Last time it was a smaller plane, a CRJ9. I was in F but was forced to cabin check due to a smaller plane. Then, apparently in MTY they dont give you your valet/cabin checked baggage until customs (!!!! FML) Immigration was very backed up, this took 20 minutes. I had to race to customs, get my gate checked back, then back into security. I couldnt do the U turn trick. Lucky for me, security was pretty quick, only 2 people ahead of me. Flight was well boarded when I got back.

In MX, you will retain a part of the form in your passport which you fill out when you enter the country...then the gate agent collects that small immigration card. If you have not 'entered' the country (by not going through immigration) then when you try to reboard the plane you will not have that card. You risk being turned away. I also do not know if they match manifests and head count with mexican authorities. The link here is immigration, but not customs

Anyway, in the exceedingly rare event someone needs to flip in MTY!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.