Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Nonrefundable Ticket - Did I Do This Right?

Search this Thread

Old Sep 27, 2015, 8:17 pm
Original Poster

Programs: DL SM, Marriot PLT, Tall guy in need of legroom
Nonrefundable Ticket - Did I Do This Right?

I am on the final leg of a $600 or so nonrefundable ticket that was multi city.

My schedule changed and I needed to cancel the final leg of this ticket. I went online and clicked the cancel flight button, received an email but now am curious if I will get any $ back or did I just do AA a favor and allow them to double sell my seats? I know there's a change fare but wasnt sure what the fare was for my final leg.

I just want to make sure I did this right as I am fairly sure that I wont get anything back, but wanted to see if I should have just left it and no showed.
Old Sep 27, 2015, 8:51 pm

Programs: UA 1K, AA Lifetime Platinum, DL Platinum, Honors Diamond, Bonvoy Titanium, Hertz Platinum
You definitely won't get anything back, if the fare is non-refundable (hence the name). If the value of the unused segments is more than the change fee, then you have value that you may be able to apply to future travel.
Old Sep 28, 2015, 7:20 pm
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
Generally speaking, you should check on what the cost of the new itinerary is. At best, you get a credit for the fare difference - change fee. At worst, the new fare is more.

No way to answer your question until you provide the value of the segment you cancelled.

Either way, AA doesn't much care. They overbook because they count on no shows and cancellations. True, with a cancellation, they can sell the positive space now. But, with full flights, your no show/cancellation simply means one less IDB/VDB.
Old Sep 28, 2015, 10:18 pm

Programs: AA EXP...couple hotels and cars too
I believe that technically they could charge you if the fare to end your travel where you did is more expensive (and this is computed on the date you make the change) than the ticket you held. Or even if the value of the segment you dropped is less than the change fee!

So, they could say "you last leg was worth $150, but the change fee is $200. So we will charge you $200 to make the change, apply the $150 credit and you pay us $50.

Ive not heard of them doing this, unless someone is abusing this process
Old Sep 29, 2015, 7:11 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Lifetime PLT, AS MVPG, HH Diamond, NCL Platinum Plus, MSC Diamond
Originally Posted by Exec_Plat
I believe that technically they could charge you if the fare to end your travel where you did is more expensive (and this is computed on the date you make the change) than the ticket you held. Or even if the value of the segment you dropped is less than the change fee!

So, they could say "you last leg was worth $150, but the change fee is $200. So we will charge you $200 to make the change, apply the $150 credit and you pay us $50.

Ive not heard of them doing this, unless someone is abusing this process
While it is true OP isn't going to get billed for missing the segment, the missing segment would be an issue on a refund. I suspect the value of his ticket is 0, as the other segments would need to be repriced and then the $200 fee would be deducted from whatever was left.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.